No Stars Here

Amidala Skywalker

Okay, so this viggie pretty much wrote itself the other day while I was at work. I've been playing with the idea of writing a full-length fic about me getting stuck in the SW universe and how I'd react, etc. This short is essentially a bit of that as-of-yet-unwritten fic. I don't know if I'll ever actually write the whole thing or not, but it's been floating around in my mind for a while now, so we'll see.

Regardless, I was just so excited that a plot bunny bit me again that I wrote this as soon as I got home. I feel like it's been forever since I've written! I hope you all enjoy this, and as always, crit is welcome.

I hadn't expected all the lights in sky.

I suppose I should have. I had just never stopped to think about it. They were beautiful. Bright white lights swirling through the sky in a seemingly random kaleidoscope of different sizes. I had seen similar things before, back home, but here there were so many that they blotted out the stars.

I would have stayed and watched for a while, but I knew my brother was waiting for me. The lights were an important clue, and I had to let him know right away. I quietly made my way off the rooftop and back down through the abandoned building. My brother and I had set up camp on the fifth floor, away from most of the other tramps and undercity dwellers. Truth was, we needed a place where we could be ourselves and try to work out what had happened. And how we were going to deal with it.

As I came up on the small camp””it wasn't much, just a few rags to sleep on that we had rescued from a garbage masher and a small glowlamp that was miraculously still working””I skipped any preamble and got straight to the point. ”œIt looks like this planet is heavily populated. I saw lots of ships taking off and landing, mostly to the east a bit.”

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Oh ami! I like! It could almost be like a death strikers style thing. I get an urge to write something similar all of a sudden. And then have people meet up. Could make a collaborative type thing...

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit
One flash of my perfect chest and he'll be knocked out in a happytime daydream.

It's been a LONG time since I've seen this type of story... used to be all over the place and then everyone just sort of stopped writing variations of this theme. And they were always funny. I like your serious approach to things. You're making it all dramatic, angsty and horrible.

After so many "omg we're in the Star Wars universe! Let's harrass the lead characters! WITH PAINT AND GARLIC!" variations, this is both refreshing and interesting to read. I mean, I'd seen Lord of the Rings ones that were "serious"... I still remember the earthling who got raped by an orc fanfic I read once. But never anything like this, really truly approaching it as if the characters were stranded in a place they knew very little about.

Funny. I never thought I'd see one I liked now that I'm older and more serious but you're doing good. I really feel for the characters and their plight.

Keep this tone up and you'll probably have a terribly original story on your hands, even if the premise has been done.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Thanks! I know these fics used to be done all the time, but when I really sat down and thought about it, they were fun to read, but not practical. This kinda stemmed off several ideas, including that old thread in SW Misc about what job you'd have in the SW universe. Seriously though, T, that means a lot to me that you feel it is original despite that.

Nat, it's so funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing! I was going to talk to my bro about writing it with me--if I ever actually do so--and then I thought how cool it would be to have other people stuck in SW the same way we were. And then we realize they are all Jnetters, and that becomes a clue to figuring out what happened. If you're interested, I'm definitely willing to work together and see where this might take us!

amipaint2.jpg

I like this idea a lot Ami! I guess I wasn't much of a reader back when other people were doing this. A serious version sounds like it could be very interesting. Keep them coming, and you'll have me coming back to read more

ryoocopy-1.jpg

For those of you who knew me, it was great, for those who didn't, welcome.

http://www.naese.com/images/Ryoojaxxon.jpg

This is my first encounter with any sort of story like that on this site. Ironically, I've been more familiar with the opposite sort of story, where you take characters from the stories and bring them into the real world. Though, if you would have asked me years ago, what Star Wars Fanfiction was about, I would have said it was something like this, where people write themselves into the stories they really want to be a part of. All of those dreams where the characters, and not the actors, seem real, are suddenly brought to life in a more controllable, more coherent way. So well done, this seems to have a lot of potential.

”œAt least we know Star Wars,”

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Oh, I'm definitely not planning on relying heavily on those books. Originally, I was going to have nothing like that, but I figured it would be helpful to have in order to learn to read Basic and things like that.

Thanks Ben!

Nat is definitely in on joining this. Is anyone else interested?

amipaint2.jpg

Haha, I would, but I'm sure you remember how good I am with actually sticking to stories. I've got too much ADD to continue a story. Heck, sometimes I don't have the focus even finish a sig I'm working on. But, I'm gonna help Nat a little with ideas, and let her do all of the work on her story.

Ami, I'm already ready for an update. When are we going to see the next installment?

ryoocopy-1.jpg

Alright, well, since you asked so nicely, I think you all have convinced me to keep going, at least a bit. So here's another little section I just wrote up.

A week later, we arrived at the spaceport. It was a large city, and it was only through asking directions from passerby that we made it to the hub. What was most interesting to me was that the majority of the population was human. That narrowed down our options as to which world this was.

When I pointed out that fact to Ian, he nodded. ”œHopefully we'll be able to find out for certain at the main hub. Do you have the credits we found?”

amipaint2.jpg

Love love loved it!

Only one thing that irked me a bit was mentioning how lucky you were to find some credits. It just seems a bit too contrived.

But apart from that as I said I loved it. Especially the bit about staring at the aliens.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

Ohh, order 66. It would be awesome if you didn't meet up with main characters, and somehow got with a jedi before the order was given and helped him/her escape.

I don't know how far ahead you've planned the story, but whatever happens, I'm liking it (Although I agree with Nat about the money. Probably could have come across it in a different way). Keep it coming

ryoocopy-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my bit hopefully sometime within the next week. I wrote a few pages in my notebook on my way to my finnish class so I need to decipher my handwriting and type it up.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

• 4 months later...

So is this ever going to continue? It was such a good take on the old 'we are in Star Wars land' story, even if a bit contrived... well, to be fair, those types of stories have to be contrived.

Where are those answers on Corellia?

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Heh, I totally forgot about this fic. I should continue it. It had promise, even though I wasn't 100% sure where I was going with it.

If I have some free time I'll write up some more. I'd like to continue it.

amipaint2.jpg

Oh! I'll hunt down what I wrote and try to convert it to computer text while I am temporarily removed from internet distractions at home. I think I typed up part of it. I won't be able to post it until we get the internet connected however... hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

• 3 months later...

I REALLY like that this is not the normal take on the traditional intersect-with-Star-Wars. You should get back to this Ami! (hint,hint)

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

• 7 months later...

Hey....I remember I loved writing this!

Okay, more.

The first thing we'd do upon arriving on Corellia, we determined, was find jobs. Just like back home, money meant an apartment and food, whereas lack of credits meant a slow death on the streets.

It was nice to finally be on a planet we knew a little bit about. Well, at least I knew it was a nice habitable planet famous for overconfident humans. Ian and I had decided to stick with the story that we were refugees from Tatooine, and hope that would protect us from scrutiny when people discovered we had no form of ID or anything to our names but the clothes on our backs and Ian's bag of books.

Once we got through customs, we began to walk through the city. The big problem was that we had to find jobs that we could do where our lack of experience with the technology of this galaxy wouldn't get people suspicious. I figured my best bet was to try and get a job as a waitress. I knew from Attack of the Clones that there were organic beings as servers in some establishments. I would just have to find one.

Ian, on the other hand, didn't like that idea. He wanted to get a job working with technology. As much as I argued that he'd never get anything due to lack of experience, he was stubborn and didn't listen.

I sighed. "Let's split up and meet back in that park over there at nightfall," I suggested. Ian agreed, and we went our separate ways.

Hours later, luck--or was it the Force?--was finally with me. I got a job as a waitress in a small business owned by a Falleen woman. She clearly didn't think I'd last long in the job. It paid 50 credits a week. I didn't know how much that was compared to dollars, but I took it anyway and hoped it would be enough.

She had a droid give me a tour of the place and explain my job. As I had hoped, there wasn't really anything about it that differed from the same job on Earth except I was sure I had never been to a restaurant back home that took orders on iPads. Datapads, I told myself firmly. The sooner I rid myself of my "outlandish jargon", the sooner I'd fit in here.

When Ian and I met back up, I told him the good news. He hadn't found exactly what he was looking for, but he had gotten a job moving freight at the spaceport.

I yawned. "One of the droids in the kitchen told me of a hostel where we could spend the night. It's run by a charity, and it's right down the street."

So we spent our first night on Corellia packing in like sardines with the destitute of hundreds of species. I didn't sleep much. Even if the smell had been less, the snoring would have drowned out a fighter passing overhead.

amipaint2.jpg

Oh hey, you actually updated this!

Thanks!

I liked the last line. And the iPads reference. Actually iPads seem to be more up to date than datapads... heh. I think she'll last all right on the job. Unless the place serves really weird food.

spsig.jpg

Oh yay update! And the reminder that I did have something written up for this... in a book somewhere that still hasn't been typed up because of my atrocious hand writing....

Found the book now just need to decipher.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

• 1 month later...

Yay, you posted! I'm glad you're still fiddling with this fic.

I liked the bit about 'overconfident humans.' Ha, fits Corellia to a 'T'!

I have to agree with Tiana - I think iPads are probably a little more technologically advanced than datapads, but it's still a good first-thing-to-mind response for a datapad. There's going to be a lot to adjust to (like really weird food!) but it sounds like they are off to a good start.

I liked how you to took simple, realistic, and humorous take on being packed into the hostel.

Hope to see your stuff up soon, Nat!

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

• 1 month later...

Heh, I haven't been working on it. But I might start back up. I still like the idea of this. I had such plans for where it would go...Hmm. I'll have to put some thought into it. Keep reminding me to work on it and I probably will.

amipaint2.jpg

*clears throat as subtle reminder that Ami should continue to work on this....*