A Blog of Sorts... New post 11/1

NavyGal

So I have a blog I have started recently and a few people have suggested that I post here some of those things.

So I decided why not.

It isn't particularly refined. It doesn't fit into any one category. And I have not been particularly concerned about grammar and such so don't hold that against me.

Welcome to the innermost ramblings of my mind.

~~~~~~~~

Obsession Confession...

Today is the day,

I confess an obsession

My books are my love.

~~~

If there is one thing I cannot survive without it is books. Well that and chocolate. But even chocolate comes secondary to my books.

I don't know when the obsession started but as far back as I remember I have been reading. By the time I got to primary school I was reading Baby Sitters Little Sister books by myself. Before that I was reading Golden Books and any other books that caught my interest of the multitude we had at home. Yet despite this I have no memory of my parents reading books to me. So I am not sure if it was a case of when I was very young they did read to me and I don't remember it, or, if I just had a irrepressible curiosity about what was in the books at home and so taught myself to read. If that is the case then curiosity sure as hell didn't kill this cat! In fact this cat thrived on the thrills of the story.

I often got in trouble at school for reading in class. Maths and Science classes in particular. It was not uncommon for me to have a book on my lap under the desk and for me to be reading it. I had one English teacher who, despite the fact that I only ever wrote on about 3 pages of my english book and rarely if ever paid attention, was quite happy for me to essentially read my way through the classes. She even encouraged me to keep a list of the books I read which, though incomplete, and definitely not including all the books I had read as I may have forgotten some names, covered over 300 books.

The school librarians knew me by name. They would ask me for book recommendations if they were wanting to read something or would pay attention if I told them about a new book that I had read. I often was the first person to read some of the new books the library got because they wanted to know what I thought. I also got asked to recommend books for other students to read sometimes if a student was looking for something to read.

My friends congratulate me when I walk past a bookstore without going into it. The congratulations are even bigger when I do walk in but come out with nothing. Thats not to say they don't love books... they just aren't as obsessed like me. And it's not that I have no self control. I do really. I have been eyeing off a copy of Jane Eyre in Borders bookstore for the past year and a half trying to justify buying it when I already have 3 other copies. It's just so pretty though nice and clothbound hardcover.

I spent a year in Europe a few years ago now. The first thing I did was suss out and join the local library. I then located the bookstores in the nearby city. Followed soon after by the library in the city. I took advantage of the libraries as often as possible. I knew that if I went crazy buying books I would have no way to get them home really. I considered it restrained that I only bought about 25-30 books that year...

When I got back to Australia after that year I got a job and just happened to be working up the road from a discount book store. That was perilous too. I spent many a lunch hour in there browsing the books. I dread to think how many books I actually bought during lunch hours there. And even now that bookstore is still perilous for me. I recently impulse bought about 15 books there in a single weekend.

And my parents have (almost) always supported this obsession. Most birthdays and christmas' have included at least one book... often more. My dad will call me if he sees a book he thinks I will be interested in and asks me if I want it.

My parents rarely begrudged me a book if I really, really wanted it. Nor any of my siblings. They encouraged us to read as much as they encouraged the use of the local and school libraries. Hence we often struggled to find somewhere to put the books at home. It wasn't long before I was resorting to boxes for my books. And even then I didn't have enough of those. Stacks of books built up on available surfaces including the floor.

When I moved out of home a few years ago I had probably more books than clothes. And I only took the books that weren't on the bookshelves or that I absolutely wouldn't leave behind. I now have 2 bookshelves in my room and not enough room for all my books.

As it is the obsession thrives. It's an addiction I am not ashamed of. It's an educational addiction. It's an entertaining addiction. It is a lasting addiction.

~~Random Logic~~

~~~

Hope you enjoy! Feel free to comment!

Edited by Guest

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit
One flash of my perfect chest and he'll be knocked out in a happytime daydream.

AGREED!!!

Books and chocolate, perfect mix. The only thing that makes books better is chocolate.

Except... then I get so stuck into a story and forget I have a chocolate sitting next to me.

Myth2010.jpg

But I'm out of cheesecake.

Taking over JNet, 1 thread at a time.

JNet Royalty

Oh that does suck... and then it starts to melt or something or you roll over if you are lying in bed reading and melt the chocolate under you. Makes it a liiiiitttle bit awkward... and messy.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

Very nice blog entry, Nat. I, too, love books and chocolate, so I can really agree. But you did a really nice job describing the obsession.

Did this make anyone else remember ATS's viggie called Obsession Confession?

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

I was trying to work out why Obsession Confession seemed like such a perfect title for the blog post.... I KNEW I had read it somewhere before but couldn't remember or work it out.

Man stuff sticks in my subconcious sometimes!

Did either of you two notice the first 3 lines were in haiku?

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

I like books, but am not the type of person who likes to spread myself thin in things. If I invest the time into something, I like it to be large series and whatnot. Despite my love of politics and history, I rarely like reading books about them. They are too detailed and long for me usually. I love magazines, especially those like Military History because the articles are shorter and to the point so I can learn a lot without getting bored.

And another post because I'm feeling generous!

~~~~

Clumsiness...

Those that know me know I am quite a clutz at times. My brothers claim I can't walk through the house without knocking something over. I maintain that is just because they have no sense of balance when creating their precarious piles of junk. That said it is true, I am a clutz. I manage to hurt myself at least once a day without any effort on my behalf. Whether it is a knee hit or elbow hit on a desk, hand on a wall as I am walking down a hall or walking INTO a doorframe(and this happens alot!), I am bound to hurt myself in some manner.

I lived in the same house for 18 years and by the time I moved out I was STILL walking into doorframes! You'd think I would have learned the spatial dimensions of my own home within an 18 year span but somehow I didnt. And it never fails at work that you will hear a *BANG* then cursing as my knee once again hits the set of drawers under the desk. This was particularly common at my last job where I worked at the front counter and there were metal bits sticking from the bottom of the counter so that you could adjust the level the keyboard sat at. Needless to say being a short person and needing the height of the chair to be on a proper level with the screen my knees were constantly hitting those as I swiveled in the chair. It was also quite common for me to collect myself on the filing draws underneath the counter. Without fail AT LEAST 3 times a day. As I said clutziness just comes naturally to me.

So I wonder if I will ever reach a stage in life where I will be able to live without hurting myself on everyday objects that surround me. Is this a common occurance for everyone or am I just remarkably uncoordinated(I'd hope not. I wasn't too bad at playing netball or martial arts and they requires some level of hand-eye coordination!) In the meantime I shall go on with my existance running into doorframes and hurting myself on every desk I come across.

~~Random Logic~~

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

Haha, I LOVE these, Nat!! I'm so glad that you're posting them! Haha, I have a similar book obsession, although I've been tempering it with both age and finances, since there is both more stuff to be paid for and I'm trying to be more careful in how and where I spend my money and focus on. Hence, I'm back to the library more often instead of trying to circumvent the wait via the bookstore. Lol, I remember coming back from the library in 4th grade though with a stack of books that reached from the bottom of my extended arms all the way up to my chin - which I would carefully rest on top in order to hold the stack in place for the walk to the car. Every two weeks or so.

Can't say I'm a big chocolate-while-I-read person, though. My personal favorites reading a book a) on a comfy blanket spread out beneath the dappled sunlight of a tree or b) curled up next to a fire (if possible) and hot chocolate once the weather turns cold. Sigh.... I remember the days when those were easily possible!

Also - there is HOPE!! I used to be an absolute klutz... no joke for all 4 years of high school plus my first year of college I spent a minimum of 2 days EACH year either on crutches or in a walking cast. Blech. Hence the name. One of my friends from gymnastics was such a klutz (like you, a daily thing even if it was just stubbing her toe) that her parents started offering her a dollar for each day she could go without hurting herself. It literally took her 4 months to get past 10 bucks.

Anywho - I enjoy the insights into your life and your thoughts, in the unforced and flowing style of a journal or blog. Thanks for sharing!

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

LOL Gimpy, I love the story of your friend.

Yeah there are a lot of us klutzes out there. I've always got bruises on my knees from bumping into things. Although most of the time I can't remember doing it.

But I'm one of those embarrassing klutzes who trips herself over a lot, can pick up a pen and somehow make it fly 2 metres, have sox fall out from inside my pants legs.

I'm a klutz, I'm uncoordinated, I'm... a typical geek.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

haha for some reason I'm not surprised at all that you're a klutz. Somehow, at like 6'3'' 215lbs, I'm oddly agile. It also helps that I don't really bruise. So even if I do hit something, there's no proof afterwards. I'd say my only problem is my height. I often lose my hat when I hit a fan or a doorway somewhere with a low ceiling.

ryoocopy-1.jpg

For those of you who knew me, it was great, for those who didn't, welcome.

http://www.naese.com/images/Ryoojaxxon.jpg

LOL Gimpy, I love the story of your friend.

Yeah there are a lot of us klutzes out there. I've always got bruises on my knees from bumping into things. Although most of the time I can't remember doing it.

But I'm one of those embarrassing klutzes who trips herself over a lot, can pick up a pen and somehow make it fly 2 metres, have sox fall out from inside my pants legs.

I'm a klutz, I'm uncoordinated, I'm... a typical geek.

Omg Robyn! I swear we do the same things! I've sent pens flying across an office not just 2 metres!

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

Books:

Such an obsession, though I can say I've not reached your level Nat. The story sounds similar. The librarians when I was younger knew me well...especially after they tried to deny me access to a few higher level books. My mom went in and threw a fit, and so did my teacher, in my defense. Long story short, they never denied me a book again.

My personal collections grows more every year. I think I'm sitting at just over 200 books. Considering I'm studying Humanities at Uni, I tend to keep most, if not all, of my books. Walking by a bookstore and not getting anything as a challenge? I understand completely. I try to spread the love too. Anytime I have to give a gift, I try to get a book I think the person would like or need, or a journal.

Books. Nice post.

Clumsiness:

Guilty as charged. I can be such a klutz at times. I played softball for 6 years, and it was sort of an unwritten rule on our team that it wasn't a "real" game unless I ended up on the ground or bleeding. I've been hit in the head with line drives, and run into fences trying to catch the ball. Good times. I've still got scars on my legs from my inability to slide properly.

artemianoborder.jpg

"MEMORYYYYYY! ALLLLLL ALOOONE IN THE MOOOOOONLIIIIIGHT!"

Hahaha. I will post a pic of my books as of about august last year... since then I have bought even more books. Just have to put it up at home.

And one of the librarians when I was in primary school used to bring in books from her personal collection and let me borrow them. I had awesome librarians!

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

Ok here is a photo of my bookshelves 12 months ago. Note that the tall skinny bookshelf is not my shelf it came with where I was living at the time. And there were probably a few books not on the shelves forming a stack next to my bed or desk.

09082009001.jpg

I won't and can't post a picture of my books now because they are not all on shelves. If the boxes fit under my bed they are still in the boxes to free up more space for other items. And having had a quick count of books I have bought in the past 12 months there are at least 70. So that is in excess to what you see in that picture. In fact most of the books now on shelves apart from a few are new books in the past 12 months and most of the ones in the picture are in boxes...

I will post a new post up tomorrow I think...

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

Most of my books are in boxes at the moment. They haven't really been taken out since I packed them and moved out the first time. Although I do dig through every now and then when I get a craving for a certain story.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

And yet another new post because I'm once again feeling extremely generous!

~~~

Cooking...

So I'm not the best of cooks in the world... In fact I am quite a numpty when it comes to some aspects of cooking. But I am not a bad cook when I know what the hell I'm doing or have someone to help.

As evidenced by the fact that I make an awesome pavlova, a spag. bol. that rates higher than my dads in my younger brothers opinion and the fact that I can in fact make a decent potato bake and don't do too badly at making Anzac Biscuits either.

That said after two years of a food tech.(cooking for those who call it by another name) class in highschool you would think that my repertoire would contain more than approximately 5 dishes.

I have always had ambitions of expanding my cooking since highschool. They have never gotten me very far. I bought a recipe book full of pasta recipes... I haven't used it yet. I recently bought a Finnish cookbook when I went into the city one day. Wasn't expecting to find anything like that in Sydney so I was pleasantly suprised. All the recipes I have been trying to find an absolute of with measurements I understand in one place. No longer do i have to trawl the depths of the internet trying to find something that I understand. But the best part of these recipes is that I have used them!

Yes I have cooked food from scratch that required more than 3 ingredients! It's a shocker I know!

I called up my aunt a few weeks ago and she offered for me to come over and do some cooking with her. She was interested in the recipes and I was happy to accept. It's hard to find Finnish food here in Australia(read: impossible except for the occasional chocolate) and there is alot of it that I miss. So on Sunday I went over to my aunts place and cooked and baked.

We made Lihapiirakka(meat pasties), Karjalanpiirakka(Karelian Pasties- basically a rice pudding and a rye crust/pastry), and a semolina and lingonberry dessert porridge. Oh how I have missed these things.

My aunt did most of the dough making for the Lihapiirakka. There was alot of it. The recipe approximated there would be 8. We doubled the quantities and got about 40 I would say. I now have a stash of them in my freezer. They turned out fantastically as well!

As for the Karjalanpiirakka. I made the dough for that. Again we made more than it said we would. I think it said about 6 and we probably got about 15-20. They were a hit too! Turned out perfect. And rather easy to make I thought despite what I had been told by others about them being difficult to make. I think they just find it easier to buy them from the shop and heat them in the microwave or oven. Alot cheaper and less time consuming that way I'm sure! I also have a stash of these in my freezer now though.

And the semolina porridge. Well that was easy. I think I may be making this more often myself if I can find the berries for it. It's easy and yummy and makes a great breakfast or dessert. Took about 20 minutes to make if that as well so very quick to make too!

So now I can add another three recipes to my repertoire. One day there will be more. I may never be a gourmet cook but I shall at least be able to feed myself hot meals and make enough different dishes that I don't eat the same thing every second day.

~~Random Logic~~

~~~~

Enjoy!

I have pics too for those who are interested!

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

Congrats on the successful Finnish cooking experiments! I wouldn't mind a picture or two of what those looked like.

I'm only a decent cook - can follow a recipe without too much difficulties but only now beginning to enjoy it. Baking, on the other hand -- I love baking, and have a few default cookie and brownie recipes that are regularly requested.

I'm learning that the best way to improve my cooking, for me at least, is to have the new husband to share cooking duties with. Since it's not every day PLUS I have someone else to cook for I'm more motivated to actually try new things. Huzzah!

As always, it's fun to hear your thoughts!

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

I'll get photos up tonight when I get home which will be late. For some silly reason I can't copy image location on IE which we have at work to post the pics here from FB.

And I guess these could be called a mixture of cooking and baking.

By far my most successful attempts at making food are when I make Pavlova. Mmmmm yum!

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit

I love to cook. Both my mom and dad always cooked for us. So regardless of which place I was at, I was eating home cooked food. I guess it kind of made me want to do it too.

When at college or work, I tend to always cook for myself, and it often ends up with me cooking for my roommates too. You save so much money by cooking for yourself instead of going out. I've also found that girls love a guy who can cook. A fancy meal at a restaurant will cost you 60 bucks for the two of you. Or, you can buy everything yourself and cook a steak dinner with wine for half that.

ryoocopy-1.jpg

For those of you who knew me, it was great, for those who didn't, welcome.

http://www.naese.com/images/Ryoojaxxon.jpg

Oh Ryoo! You had me at I love to cook!!! <3<3<3

And I said I would post these yesterday but I never got around to it as I had a busy and late day.

My Aunt cutting the dough for the individual Lihapiirakka and my cousin brushing the finished Lihapiirakka with egg yolks.

41072_10150229777450083_781530082_14071618_3880049_n.jpg

Looking good!

41072_10150229777460083_781530082_14071619_3351999_n.jpg

In the oven- Lihapiirakka

41072_10150229777465083_781530082_14071620_5147557_n.jpg

41072_10150229777470083_781530082_14071621_8303928_n.jpg

Karjalanpiirakka all cooked and ready for me to take home.

41072_10150229777475083_781530082_14071622_455831_n.jpg

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit