The Riddle of Steel (complete)

Osku

I took the name from the intro to Conan : The Barbarian, the movie. It's a poem about how important Steel was, far back in the day, and still is. You can find this on my DA, which is in my sig, (shameless self-promotion!) but I decided to put it up on here to get someone's opinion on it. Enjoy.

What's colder than the Northern Wind,

And sharper than a sailor's tongue?

More solid than frozen ice sheets,

Yet harsher than the Arabian sun?

What is used for cutting throats in the middle of the night,

And then building bridges over distances long?

What is more silent than a waveless ocean,

But responsible for the singing of the sword's song?

Dismembers limbs,

Founds great walls,

Builds tall fortresses,

That dwarf mead halls,

It is the omnipresent apocalypse of lives since time immemorial,

It is the glory of nations that have risen from the mist primidorial,

Some men make it,

Some men take it,

Some men buy it,

Some men sell it,

Fools they are, to try and tame,

Whats has brought nations to dust, and kings to shame,

What was brought into being in the molten fires in the earth below,

And then first forged by hammers in the lands of snow,

Man will try and own it, but as the years march on,

The Riddle of Steel will be here, long after we are gone.

Is this your own work? I couldn't quite tell from your reference to the movie in the Author's Note.

If it is then it was great. Very nicely done. There was one place that I felt didn't really flow all that well but that is a personal feeling rather than something that was actually wrong. I think you did an excellent job.

Oh, and Ben, you might have moree readers if you updated every once in a while.

silassig-1.jpg

Proud member of the JNET Addicts Club since November '05

Very interesting. I thought it flowed well, and I was able to really get into some great visualizations.

Speaking of shameless self-promotion. http://forums.jedi.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36219

Where did that thread come from?

Oh my. I'll have to check this out when I'm able to. Looks interesting, I made a SW fanfic awhile back set in the TOR universe, but otherwise I really don't look into fanfics. This one looks like it's worth the read though, so maybe I'll get around to reading the first chapter tommorow. In fact, I'll make it a personal goal.

Is this your own work? I couldn't quite tell from your reference to the movie in the Author's Note.

If it is then it was great. Very nicely done. There was one place that I felt didn't really flow all that well but that is a personal feeling rather than something that was actually wrong. I think you did an excellent job.

Oh, and Ben, you might have moree readers if you updated every once in a while.

It is my own work, the reference to the movie is from the part where Thulsa is telling Conan about the "Riddle of Steel", that "Steel isn't strong, Flesh is stronger". Which I guess is kind of the opposite in this poem. But I still took the name from Conan, so I had to give credit, I guess.

I was thinking... nooo it's Cohen!

Oh well, anyway, it was a nice read, and I was thinking of Cohen (Sorry not Conan) all the way through. (it's alright they're quite similar).

One suggestion I have is that you should perhaps space it out a little, and break it into stanzas. Might be more epic-y that way.

ilikegreenguyscopy.jpg

Darsha Assant turned dark at 2734 posts.

One suggestion I have is that you should perhaps space it out a little, and break it into stanzas. Might be more epic-y that way.

What?! There's something wrong with my poem!? BLASPHEMY. UNHEARD OF. OFF WITH HER HEAD!

I kid.

I'll take that into account, dankee.

Oh my. I'll have to check this out when I'm able to. Looks interesting, I made a SW fanfic awhile back set in the TOR universe, but otherwise I really don't look into fanfics. This one looks like it's worth the read though, so maybe I'll get around to reading the first chapter tommorow. In fact, I'll make it a personal goal.

Awesome. I'm anxious to hear what you thought. The story I wrote is based on many, many characters who have existed in this RP since around 2000, so it's a fun exercise to bring them together in my writing.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Awesome. I'm anxious to hear what you thought. The story I wrote is based on many, many characters who have existed in this RP since around 2000, so it's a fun exercise to bring them together in my writing.

I'll read it right now, after I make some popcorn and lemonade.