The Third Sith War: Three Letters (Fin)

ForceFusion

So I FINALLY have been able to write something on this. This one probably isn't well proofed so I'll have to go back and make some changes, but I felt bad for promising more and not delivering, so here's a fairly raw product. Enjoy.

Three Letters

Currently, I am attempting to compose a letter.

A few minutes ago, I received another letter. I have to tell the story that leads up to that letter to find the courage to write this new letter. I am unsure I will have that courage.

The war has spanned for two years now, and we have yet to see a battle inside the Mid Rim. While that may be comfortable for those of us on Coruscant and those of us with family on other Core Worlds, we are still losing badly. The Sith have gotten into our heads, and we haven't been able to muster up any hope on the front lines to counter it.

A few months ago, a bill came into the Senate that seemed to hold a potential solution to that: a galaxy wide draft. Our shipyards have the capacity to produce plenty of capital ships, but we simply didn't have the hands to crew them all. So, plenty of materials and building docks had been going to waste since the start of the war, whilst the Sith took system after system in the outer rim.

It was no surprise to me that the delegation from Bothan Space put forth articles introducing the draft as soon as the enemy position was within striking distance. And it was also no surprise that the Senate was split right down the middle on the issue. Outer Rim worlds were all for it, Core Worlds were all against it, and the Mid Rim was split, depending on where the Sith had appeared last. Those of us that were safe from immediate danger didn't dare send our sons and daughters to the front lines.

Well, that seemed rather selfish to me, and so I decided to come out in favor of the bill. "People of the galaxy," I said on the steps to the Senate, camera droids all around, "this is not a time to fear, but a time to come together to defend our brothers and sisters in harms way. Yes, the concept of a temporary draft is a frightening one, but what the draft's opponents don't tell you is the details. Only ten percent of the eligible men and women will be drafted into the service. The majority will not.

"So, while you fear for your sons and daughters, you needn't. For our strength will only grow with this act. And while the lives of a few may be at risk, they will be bravely defending the lives of trillions.

"Let the Sith never get to Coruscant, Corellia, and Commenor! Let the Sith never reach Bothawui and Kothlis. Let us drive them back from Bandomeer and forever protect Borleias. Let us leave no system behind, no planet unprotected, no people abandoned!

"I, like many of you, have a son that may be drafted. But on that unlikely day, I will salute him proudly, knowing that his selfless service will help bring the galaxy together in strength and fortitude. So, let us raise the flags of the galaxy and drive back this force of darkness that we might never have to risk our sons and daughters again!"

My wife slapped me as soon as I got home that evening. There were tears in her eyes, tears of fear and betrayal. I tried to calm her, to tell he everything would be all right. And I believed it, too. I believed it even though on Corellia they were calling for my resignation and worse. Even though my home city of Coronet was one of the many Core cities erupting with riots, I still believed in my decision.

The bill passed by a narrow margin due to a large portion of Mid Rim and Colony region votes. I remained the sole Core World Senator in favor, but I knew I had done my job though I had stood alone.

Supreme Commander Jent and Minister of Defense Barr predicted that with the new hands to crew the new hulls, we would push the Sith back strictly to the Outer Rim in a month. If that was the case, only one wave of draftees would be needed.

It wasn't the case. The Sith continued to gain holds in the Outer Rim, though we were able to halt their progress closer to the Core. Though a few initial victories had let us temporarily sigh in relief, Coronet continued to riot.

Those riots intensified when a second draft wave was announced. Once again my speech was played over and over on the HoloNets, painting me as more villainous than any Sith. I would've been outraged if it hadn't been for a letter.

This letter preceded the two letters of which I've already spoken. And it was addressed to my son.

"You can't let them take him!" my wife cried, slamming her fists into my chest while I half-heartedly tried to restrain them. "Put a stop to this! Stop it now! Stop it now!" She screamed until she could only sob, and she sobbed until all she could do was collapse at my feet. I did not have the strength to hold her up.

I did try to follow her wishes. I went to every level of draft officials in the military, personally and through aides. I did not care to hide my actions at first, for I would not accept defeat.

"Admiral Jent," I found myself saying in the Supreme Commander's office, "I would request a favor of you." I was attempting to hold my composure, attempting to keep my dignity. Yet every cell in my body was shaking with frustration and helplessness. "I believe my voting record has proven that I am a friend to the Military. I voted for your appointment to Supreme Commander, as well as your promotion to Vice Admiral and full Admiral. I've supported every Military Funding legislation in my fifteen years as the Senator from Corellia, before and since the outbreak of this war. And my lone and controversial stance among the Core Worlds in favor of the draft has enabled you and your men to give us a fighting chance in the Mid Rim and to ensure the safety of the Core. Admiral, I do not think it is a stretch to say that I am politically and personally your friend. And I have one simple request--"

"Stop right there," the Supreme Commander said, putting up a hand and speaking with the authority of a leader. "Senator Locke, I must say I find your actions disgraceful. Just a few months ago you said you would be proud of your son if he was drafted. You called on every parent in the Core -- in the galaxy! -- to be proud of the selfless sacrifice of those who would be drafted. And now, after weeks of me hearing reports of you attempting to beg and bribe draft personnel on the HoloNets, even seeing recorded footage of you yelling personally at Lieutenants and Sergeants! Now after all that, I see you come in here and beg me for a favor, well I must say I'm ashamed of you. I do think we're friends, Theo, and as a friend, I have to tell you that you're being a hypocrite. Maybe you're not watching the H-Nets, but the rest of the galaxy is, and boy are you making yourself and the rest of the Senate look bad. Heroes are dying, Theo, on the battlefield and at home. You did something courageous supporting that bill, but now you're just being a hypocritical coward. The people can't see men like you crumble down on themselves. You need to apologize, Theo, to everyone."

I could not find a way around his words, though I did try. When I left that office, I knew he was right, and again I addressed the galaxy via camera droid.

"People of the galaxy, I come to you once again and ask for your courage. But first, I must ask for your forgiveness. As you know, I am experiencing what millions of parents are experiencing. I must say, the difficulty is beyond what I could've imagined.

"However, knowing what I know now, I would not reverse my vote on the instatement of a draft. This is why I am asking for your courage, now that I truly know what I am asking for.

"Though it is difficult, I do stand proudly with my son, and I will celebrate wildly when he returns to Corellia a war hero. When all of our sons and daughters return home war heroes. Though it has come with enormous hardship, both societal and personal, the tides of this war are turning. Thank you."

As I spoke every word, I knew that I was not delivering it with the fervor and conviction of my previous speech.

My wife did not slap me when I returned home that night. She did not speak to me.

We have spoken little since that day. And on this day, a letter has arrived. My wife was not home when I received it, nor has she yet returned home.

"Dear Senator Aritheo Locke and Mrs. Zara Locke," the letter read. "We regret to inform you that your son, Jakob Locke, was killed on the field of battle...."

I did not read the whole letter. I did not need to. The small piece of flimsi still lies on the floor where I dropped it in disbelief, just inside our front door.

Now I begin to compose my own letter. "Dear Supreme Chancellor Ibrim Staphouse, I hereby resign from my position as Senator from Corellia...."

That's so sad...

These stories are so good. They paint war at a gut level, not grand vistas where the heroes always win. It shows the emotions of war.

The first sentence or two was awkward, but then that cleared and it flowed nicely the rest of the way. Great work!

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Even though I knew it was going to happen...

I love what you're doing. You're not writing one huge story, but just a bunch of shorts that display one world, one timeline, one place. A mini-series. I wish I'd thought of it, instead of trying to go through my novel fics. It's a genius way of covering a storyline that's probably pretty wide-spanning in your mind.

What Ami said.

You color war the way it is--gut-punching and cruel and not heroic in the least.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I did see it coming.

My country has compulsory conscription but we don't actually go to war with anybody. The last time we technically went to war was.... never ever... since during World War 2 we were technically still a colony.

The names made me laugh though. Straphouse? Zara? Heeeheeeheee!

ilikegreenguyscopy.jpg

Darsha Assant turned dark at 2734 posts.