The Third Sith War: Hulls and Heroes (Fin)

ForceFusion

This is the second installment in a sequence I'm calling the Third Sith War. The first was called"The Stella Pascal Episode" and there will be more to come, if I can manage it. Enjoy!

Hulls and Heroes

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to welcome you all to this historic event," I said, the words of my speech perfectly timed. Tiny publicity droids fluttered around me like insects, but I didn't mind. They were bringing my spectacle to the galaxy. Lightyears away, my sister would be giving a similar speech, just as perfectly timed. I gestured away the light applause and continued speaking. "On behalf of myself and my associates at X-Comm Inc., as well as our friends in the Galactic Military and Galactic Government who have made this evening's gala possible, we are glad to present you with the cutting edge of communication technology.

"I'm sure you've all taken part in conference meetings which utilized holo communications. Ladies and Gentlemen, today marks the end of standing in holo-fields and setting up holo-projectors to bring your friends and associates into the room with you.

"Instead, the floor you stand on has been wired to project life-size, realistically moving images everywhere throughout the room. The clip you were handed on your way in takes a full read of your body and its movements, all the way down to the minute details of the color and material of the clothing you are wearing.

"Soon you'll be walking and talking with live realistic representations of dozens of beings halfway across the galaxy, all thanks to X-Comm's brilliant holo-communication systems!" This time I allowed the applause to radiate for a while.

"So, who are our honored guests that will be joining us from the stars? Whose rooms will our holographic images be entering?" A few of the attendees already knew, but the large media component had no idea. The room was radiating with excitement.

"In these times of war, we here at X-Comm as well as our partners and friends in the Military and Government know that it's important not to get bogged down from reports from the skirmishes in the Outer Rim. Yes, the Sith Fleet poses a threat to the unity of the Galaxy, and yes heroic lives are being sacrificed for our great, interstellar nation. However, battles are being fought and won away from the front lines as well. At X-Comm, we're using our communications prowess to bring as many tactical advantages to the war, as well as innovative new designs to enhance the lives of all Galactic citizens.

"That's why, behind these doors you will find the setting for a party unlike any other in history. If you would all please make your way to the assigned markings on the floor to meet the other half of tonight's guests."

I took my own place in front of the closed doors, facing the single-file line that was forming. Males and females of dozens of species walked, hopped, and flew to their places. A few were in military dress, but most were in glittering, glamorous formal wear, as was I. Though nearing fifty, my body was still in good enough shape to show off with an open backed gown and a knee-high slit.

"Is everyone in place?" I asked rhetorically. They were. A signal had been sent to my ear when everyone, on both sides of the galaxy, were ready. "Good. Now let me introduce you to your co-hostess, my beloved sister, Admiral Bel Xandu!"

She appeared next to me in her blue Admiral's uniform, decked out with stars, bars, and other medals, her shining smile and gleaming blue eyes drawing a gasp and applause from the audience. A few years older than me, Bel wore her silvering hair tight to her head in a classic military pony-tail, even for formal occasions. My dyed black hair was, of course, fully flowing. Though Bel and I had some major differences, we were always loving sisters before anything else. The holo-image was so realistic that I had to restrain myself from attempting to embrace her.

"Thank you, Jena," Bel's image said, her voice deeper than mine, the military authority evident. "Well, I must say, most people here have a bit more interesting dress than those on my side. Oh, I'm sorry. Is that spoiling the secret?"

She and I shared a somewhat rehearsed laugh before I took over. "That's right, Bel is transmitting from the bridge of the First Fleet's flagship, Emerald Dawn, and you're about to meet the most famous officers from the All-Star fleet which are en route to the front lines as we speak!" Rousing applause took the room and this time Bel and I let it go as long as it could.

"So, let's introduce our guests! Remember, they may look and sound real, but you can't actually touch them. So, instead of a handshake, exchange a shallow bow."

I pressed a button on my wrist control, and dozens more holo-beings came to life, complimented by gasps, laughs, and greetings. "Before everyone gets introduced, why don't we head into the main room. Admiral Xandu, why don't you tell us what we're about to see."

"For those of you on Emerald Dawn, this will be a familiar sight. But, thanks to the architects and technicians at X-Comm, on Coruscant an exact replica of the Emerald Dawn's bridge has been built, specifically for this party!" Surprised gasps and applause jumped from the crowd, especially from near the back where the media brigade stood.

The doors slid open and my sister and I gracefully stepped in. "Come on in as you're announced. Supreme Commander Maxwell Jent and General Terrance Gelicas."

"Minister of Defense Ilton Barr and Starfighter Command Colonel Kev Shim'ar."

"Jedi Masters Quim Semper-Skywalker and Kelton Ji."

My sister and I went down the line alternating announcements, the Coruscant half of the pair first, and First Fleet half of the pair second. The First Fleet complimented us with officers from all twelve capitals ships, as well as notable starfighter pilots and marine soldiers. The Coruscant half included more officers from high command, cabinet members, senators, and wealthy business men. Jedi Masters and Knights and even a few advanced padawans from both the fleet and the Temple on Coruscant even joined the two famous Masters near the front of the line.

After everyone entered the bridge, well the bridges, they began mingling and chatting, ordering drinks and hor d'oeuvres from the cocktail waiters. My job was to keep pesky members of the media from asking too sensitive questions.

"Where exactly is the fleet headed?" was a popular question raised to Superem Commander Jent, Minster Barr, Bel, and any other military officer. I trusted the Military-types to keep secret information secret for themselves. Truth be told, I would've been interested in their destination myself, but had the class not to ask. Even in private I wouldn't try to pry the information from my sister.

Many of the Jedi Masters fielded questions about Stella Pascal, the darling Jedi Knight who had waged the first encounter with the Sith almost a year ago. The event had apparently been tragic, and Pascal hadn't been seen since. All I could remember was that a score or two of civilians had been killed before the Jedi Knight was able to end the threat.

"Is it true that you and General Gelicas used your political influence to keep the First Fleet from the front lines for all these months?" a rather ambitious media-man was asking Bel.

"How about a drink?" I suggested forcefully, handing a glass of champagne to the inquisitor. I was sick of hearing political corruption rumors about the military, especially about my sister. We're at war, for the sake of the Force, I thought. If we tear ourselves to pieces, what will the Sith have left if they get past the Outer Rim?

My sister was able to answer the man quite gracefully, with no lack of sternness in her own voice. "Supreme Commander Jent and the rest of us at high command worked out a strategy which protected Coruscant and the Core Worlds, which I'm sure you and the HoloNet corporations are quite happy about. I'm sure you're aware that the Third and Fourth Fleet have done a spectacular job of holding the Sith to the Outer Rim thus far."

"So why is the First Fleet being sent to the Rim now?" To his credit, the media man had taken a sip of the drink I'd given him.

"Our objective is to break the back of the Sith and end the war."

"I think that's enough questioning for now, Mr.?"

"Kelt. Bilar Kelt."

"Thank you, Mr. Kelt. Why don't we let Admiral Xandu and the rest of the First Fleet officers enjoy what little social time they have. I'm sure there are plenty of media watchdogs on Emerald Dawn to ask your pressing questions." Smoothly, Bel had slipped away into a more pleasant conversation, just as I had hoped.

"That's true," Kelt said after taking a big gulp of his drink. "My wife's attached to the First Fleet. Here at the party, actually. Well, sort of. With all these holo-people it's hard to tell if I should say they're here or there!" He laughed at his own sad joke.

"Fascinating, Mr. Kelt. Enjoy the drinks." Without another thought I made my way to where my sister was talking.

But before I got there I heard a crash and saw all of the holo-figures flash off and on for a moment. They looked to be regaining their balance. "What was that?" I asked after a moment of silence.

The bridge was scrambling and my sister didn't hear a word of my question. She was too busy snapping orders, as were most of the officers. Apparently, Bel had commissioned the lower level officers and enlisted men as the cocktail waiters aboard the Dawn. Now they were too busy rushing to their stations to be carrying drinks and food platters.

"Bel, what's going on?" I wasn't the only one frantically asking questions. The media members especially were spouting off like broken faucets.

"Sorry, sis," Bel said to me. "This is the Admiral to all Bridge Personnel and others on the bridge. Everyone should be to their stations and should switch their holo-devices off immediately."

"Bel, no! What's going on? You have to tell us what's going on first!"

"That's an order, people." And like that, Bel disappeared. Dozens of holo-images flickered away, and suddenly our replica of the bridge felt very very empty.

The Defense Minister and Supreme Commander were being flocked. "If the First Fleet is able to communicate," Supreme Commander Jent was saying, "it isn't coming directly to me. It's not like flagships have my home comm number or anything. All information will be going to High Command. I will have direct access to nothing while I am here."

"Did Admiral Xandu or any of the other officers tell you anything before shutting off?"

"If they did, it would be military classified, and you wouldn't get it."

Suddenly, I was being questioned. "Ms. Xandu, Ms. Xandu! Did your sister tell you anything before she left?"

"Get that damn camera droid out of my face," I said, trying to make my way to the Supreme Commander and Defense Minister. The media swarm was too thick.

"Master Ji, is the Force telling you anything?" someone was asking. I didn't hear the reply. All I could think about was my sister. Had they been ambushed?

"Maxwell, Ilton, if you know anything about my sister, you damn well better tell me." Looking back, I'm shocked I used such a harsh tone to two of the most powerful military personalities in the galaxy.

They handled it gracefully, giving me approximately the same, yet less harsh version of the answer they'd given the media dogs.

"Are you recording?" The Defense Minister was asking one of the media.

"Of course we are, Minister, this is breaking news!"

"Minister, my wife is part of the media attache for the First Fleet. She was at the party. Can you tell us anything?" That was Kelt. I should've felt for him, but at that moment I didn't care about anyone but myself. Our younger brother was a pilot in the First Fleet. Now I felt bad for leaving him off the party roster.

"None of this footage will be released to the HoloNet until it's been given military approval!" Jent snapped.

"It's too late. We're recording live."

"Well stop. That's an order."

"We're not military, sir. You don't have any authority over us."

"I do under martial law!" I noted that his hand had dropped to his blaster.

There was a half moment of shocked silence before the mouthy media man fired back. "We're not under martial law, and can't be unless the Senate votes on it."

"This is an affront to freedom of the press!" someone called.

"This is a matter of military security. We have no idea if the Sith fleet has been able to hack into these communication lines. And you're broadcasting all this information to the public!"

That's when a flood of questions came my way. "Ms. Xandu, do you think the Sith have infiltrated X-Comm?"

"Are X-Comm's communication frequencies secure?"

"Do all of your frequencies meet with military security clearance codes?"

"I just want to know what's happening with my sister!" I screamed.

"And my wife!" added Kelt. A spattering of affirmation joined us.

"I have friends and family in the First Fleet myself, as does Minister Barr and all the other military personnel here. This is a matter bigger than personal affairs. I'm ordering you to turn off your damn camera droids and microphones!"

"You don't have the authority."

He drew his blaster. I'd never known the Supreme Commander to act rashly, and there was an eerie calm about him. "The Minister of Defense has the authority to declare a temporary and minimal scope martial law to be verified by the office of the Supreme Chancellor at a later date at times when massive military security is at stake. I'm sure Minister Barr understands the urgency of our privacy."

"I do," the Minister said, gulping.

"Turn them off, or have them confiscated." He nodded to some of the other officers, who also drew their weapons and began taking away recording devices. The tiny publicity droids began flying back to their masters' pockets.

"All right," the Supreme Commander said. "Now, due to the sensitivity of the information you've coincidentally received, you're all going to have to stay here until it's safe to release you and that information. Minister Barr and myself will be heading back to High Command to retain as much information as possible. As soon as we hear anything, we'll let you know."

A rumble of quiet protest filled the room, but the drawn blasters kept us mostly silent.

"Master Ji, would you and some of the other Masters like to join us?"

The Jedi Grand Master was obviously uncomfortable with the situation, but had remained silent in respect to the military authority. "Thank you, Minister." He bowed and led a group of four Jedi to the military men's side. "May the Force be with us all."

"Yes, indeed." Then they left.

We stayed there for four hours before they returned. Every minute my heart grew more empty, wishing I could reach out to my sister somehow. A few of the Jedi walked around trying to comfort us, but nobody really wanted to socialize.

Jent and the others came back looking tired. The party would've lasted that long anyway, so it wasn't as if they were lacking any sleep. We all waited in silence for news.

"We hadn't received anything but emergency signals from the position of the First Fleet along the Hydian Way." He was speaking as though it was a statement to the media. I guess, under the circumstances, it basically was. "We were able to triangulate that position thanks to the signals received just before the disruption. Our first action was to send scout ships to investigate. It appears as though the fleet was ambushed by a Sith ship with interdiction capabilities and a massive quantity of space mines. Hull wreckage indicates that a majority of the fleet was destroyed by the mines, but that the Emerald Dawn herself had been rammed by the interdicting vessel. That vessel appears to have been rigged with massive explosives. A suicide ship. We are searching the area for survivors, but so far we have found nothing.

"This information has been released to the major HoloNet corporations as well as yourselves. You are all free to go. Thank you for your patience in this difficult time."

I was so shocked I couldn't breath. Kelt was only a few meters away from me, weeping uncontrollably. Some of the less sensitive members of the media were recording again. I couldn't tell if it was live or not, but I didn't have the energy to care. I was just staring out the transparisteel that was supposed to represent the viewport of the Dawn's bridge. I saw Coruscant's night skyline. What had they seen in those last moments?

It wasn't until a few days later, after I'd cried myself to sleep and had been unable to eat, that I realized how little everyone had been thinking during that event. Yes, Jent and Barr had been right about the military security threat. The media men shouldn't have been broadcasting live. But Jent and Barr were just as stupid, drawing weapons and declaring martial law on live HoloNet broadcasts. They had both resigned within the week.

The Hydian Way was searched for weeks, but no survivors were found. The ambush had taken place so far from any major star system that even if someone had been able to get to an escape pod, there wouldn't be anywhere to escape to. Previous to the Hydian Ambush, the First Fleet had been known as the All-Star Fleet, my sister and her officers some of the most decorated peace-time officers the galaxy had ever known.

That battle wasn't just a military loss. It was a heartbreaker. Not only did we lose hulls, we lost heroes. Jent and Barr were casualties themselves, and suddenly the people of the Galaxy aren't sure if their society can function under the pressure of war. I sure have lost some of that confidence.

It was a good contrast, from the happy to the sad, and from an onlooker's perspective--this is what would have happened, you captured that well. As a story it was vaguely incomplete, I want to know more about this world and the story behind it... I mean, you have the other viggy too, so there IS more to it...

I do hope there's more to come. I would've liked to see the contrasting perspective.

Ah, it's so nice when AUs span into universes... I should try it, sometime. The series of shorts. If only I could focus on fanfic.

Anyway, yes, very well done, a bit horrifying at the ending--but accurate, I felt, to the perspectives you were writing.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

• 2 weeks later...