Dantooine

Ary the Grey

Kyrell doesn't say anything at first, just shrugging towards his cauterized right shoulder and the arm in the sling. He really hoped that his skills preserved his arm well enough to be saved. He was sure of was salvagable, but there was always that odd chance it couldn't be in spite of everything.

"My first concern was getting off Coruscant," Kyrell finally says in his soft voice. "If I knew where to find Skye I'd have gone to her first. Dantooine simply... drew me..." Failure drew him rather, he reflected. From Dantooine, to recent events like Gala and now Coruscant, Kyrell failed. "I'm worried about my arm. Conventional, non-force healing tricks won't save it." He reflected on his his nercotic, decaying touch dissolved a bacta-patch he tried applying.

"As for what happened," he murmurs, lowering his voice to an even softer note, one of almost shame, "I almost had a couple ships dropped on me in place of that skyscraper."

Malin.jpg

What drew out such power from your machine was truly the drive of your soul... It was your 'Id'. The sign of the purpose you've been seeking... The mark of a natural born assassin!

Arlan had no idea what the man was talking about. Had he been involved in some sort of fight? By the looks of it, he could have been involved in a duel with a Rancor.

”œWhat happened?”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

Malin takes in a deep breath, unsure if he should tell this to the padawan as well. The Jedi Master is struck by his own sense of hesitation, though he dismisses it as the result of a long, exhausting period, punctuated by the force sensation of countless slaughter inflicted by the Sith.

"I went after the Sith Master, Ar-Pharazon on Coruscant. I thought I could storm the Sith Temple, execute him for his crimes, and make an escape." Malin's good arm pats his cealestum as he speaks. "Things did not work out so well. He is formidable, even for my skills. He expanded the fight through Coruscant.... and involved a lot of innocents, throwing them in his path..." Malin closes his eyes, wincing at the phantom pain in his torn off limb. "In the end, I beat him, but failed to stop him from escaping. I merely lost an arm when he tore it from my socket... What he did to others... I couldn't save them, I know that. If I had stopped Ar-Pharazon though, they wouldn't have died in vain."

By this point, his arm has fallen to his side, hanging numbly on the ground. His voice is even deader, completely devoid iof any emotion.

Malin.jpg

What drew out such power from your machine was truly the drive of your soul... It was your 'Id'. The sign of the purpose you've been seeking... The mark of a natural born assassin!

Arlan cringed at both the man's arm falling onto the ground, and at the mention of Lord Ar-Pharazon. He had discovered only a short while ago that he was the man who ordered the attack on his parents. Immediately after the man had told him that he went after the Sith Lord, Arlan started to admire him.

”œThat man killed my parents,”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

Malin's face, pale and somber seems to grow more so at the moment the bacta is mentioned, his eyes closing, revealing small burns atop his very lids. Once more his curse thwarted him. The moment prosthetics are mentioned, they open again, staring, considering this new line of development.

Of course... With those I could feel.... touch.... and without the cost of my deadly curse... It would be as good as actual human contact...

For several seconds, longing passes through Kyrell's young, tormented face. He could imagine walking along side someone, holding her hand in his...

And holding hands would be all... But it's not enough. Not nearly enough. A warm kiss, a heartfelt embrace. It would also mean sacrificing my weapon and my Force using abilities. I have my own atonement to work on, and for an illusionary happiness, I must not falter.

"If I can," he begins, his voice quiet, but firm, "I would like to save my arm, intact if at all possible. A prosthetic might be useful, I believe it would be a betrayal of who, of what I am. I cannot allow myself even a small indulgence like a prosthetic."

Malin.jpg

Arlan nodded understandingly.

"If we want to save anything," he said, "We should really get going."

Arlan was eager to head to Hoth to meet the other Jedi on the Jedi Council, and to examine his parents' lightsabers more closely. He was sure that this man would be alright, whether a prosthetic was in place of his severed arm or not.

I could only hope that my expression didn't turn patronizing, for I frankly thought little of Kyrell's belief that accepting a prosthetic limb would somehow affect the person he was. Compared to the degree to which I had modified my own body””both through the encouragement of my enemies and my own needs””a simple mechanical hand was nothing. As far as the Jedi were concerned, I hadn't changed much over the years””I probably became more stable, if anything.

But that was Kyrell's foolish wish, and I could only respect it.

”œFine then. We're about to leave””to Hoth, actually. I can ask for Skye's help there, and I need to have a talk with her and her son. How does cold weather sound to you?”

drayyy.png

Malin just gives a small nod. "Hoth is fine. It'll give me a place to chill." The pun is delivered in Kyrell's soft voice, and with a perfect, straight-faced deadpan. For the first time since the battle on Coruscant started, Kyrell's lips twist in the faintest signs of a smile.

Kyrell punches the coordinates into his ship to have it follow, then follows the others on the Ghost Breath. As he boards, he flexes the hand on his whole left arm, still lost in quiet thought.

Perhaps someday, when the galaxy is at peace, I will consider it. But until then...

Malin.jpg

Arlan walked back to the speederbike and climbed onto it. He turned it on, following Malin and Armiena up the ramp, slowly bringing the vehicle into the cargo hold. He turned it off and pushed it towards the corner of the small room, releasing the straps which held R2 to the back of it.

The droid warbled in excitement as Arlan lifted him off of the speederbike and onto the floor. He hadn't been away from Dantooine for some time. His father had purchased him when he had visited Kashyyk, which was nearly twelve years ago. He bought the droid to both keep Arlan company, and to help keep their home in good condition.

Arlan grinned.

”œWe're going to Hoth,”

Still boarding the ramp into the Ghost Breath, Malin hears his ship take off, en route to Hoth. Malin turns towards Arlan, noting a youthful excitement and quality about him. Malin smiled encouragingly, his spirits lifting.

"Master Drayg- It's Darkfire now, isn't it? She has the brains and she has the heart as well to lead the Jedi. The Force has graced you with a good teacher, just as it put her here when I needed someone." Malin gives a small sigh, looking back over his shoulder, knowing that Dantooine's killing fields lay in the distance. Though it was healed, at least outwardly, he carried a memory of that spiritual restlessness with him. Someday, there would be justice.

Pulliing his thoughts forward, Malin keeps walking into the ship. "Indeed, the Force has blessed us all, though it still requires willing servants to carry out its will."

Malin.jpg

Arlan nodded.

”œShe's a really good teacher,”

Malin also takes a seat, his hand folded into his lap, though not without one last touch at the cracked ribs floating loose inside him. He draws in the calm, letting emotion flow out of him and closes his eyes, entering a near meditative state. Though he had some skill with healing, and could revivify dead tissue (provided there was a source of living tissue on hand to "borrow" life energy from). Healing living, but broken and ruptured cells and cell structures was not his forte.

"I've traveled a lot," he offers absently, his mind quietly drifting against the waves of the Force. "I never knew my parents well. My mother was dead when she gave birth to me, and my father died shortly after I was born." Malin left unspoken the fact his mother was dead for some time before his sorcery-born conception, and how his father, a Sith necromancer, was killed in a schism that left the Sith cult that created Malin in ruins.

"I grew up on the streets of various worlds, making use of my latent abilities." As a freelance assassin since childhood, using his death centered Force skills and senses to kill. "I reached the Jedi at a fairly early age. My past caught up with me, and I needed to turn to the order for help. I've since reconcilled with my past, though I have to work hard to atone for mistakes I've made."

One of Malin's blue eyes opens up. "Padawan Arlan, tell me, what hopes do you have for yourself as a Jedi Knight?"

Malin.jpg

Arlan felt sorry for Malin. It had to be hard growing up without any parents. He considered himself lucky for ten years of having his parents in his life.

He looked up at him following his question, unsure as to what exact goals he had set for himself”¦ if any. He wanted to be able to control the Force, to use it to help people. He wanted to construct a lightsaber, and use the weapon in battle.

”œI want to become a Jedi,”

((Arlan, the Ghost Breath's cargo hold is capable of storing an X-Wing-sized ship. It ain't small.))

While the Jedi Master and my apprentice spoke in the common room, I turned towards the cockpit to devote my attention to summoning legitimate medical attention to our destination. Halfway in the middle of my summons, I flushed crimson at Kyrell's frankly embarrassing praise of my character.

”œSkye, you've got a new patient. Malin””Malin, I hope you realize I can hear every word of what you're saying back there! Sorry. Malin went on a personal crusade and took a beating. Pharazon literally tore his arm off. I've got the arm under stasis, but I can't fix this kind of damage myself. I need to speak to your son anyway””can you meet us at Hoth?”

drayyy.png

((OOC: Sorry! My bad.))

Arlan saw Armiena give Malin the medpack. He figured that it was best to leave Armiena tend to their guest, so he nodded at Malin before leaving his Master to tend to his arm.

He wandered about the ship, finding his way into one of the dormitories. He sat down on one of the beds, pulling his backpack off and setting it down in front of him. He opened it and looked inside of it, pulling out one of his shirts. It was a brown, long-sleeved shirt, but Arlan figured that Armiena would give him the robes that all Jedi wore when she had the time. However, he guessed that changing into warmer clothes would probably benefit him, since he was going to Hoth.

He pulled the shirt that he was wearing off and folded it, putting it neatly into his. He put the other shirt that he had pulled out of his pack on, immediately feeling more comfortable and warm. He kept the same pants that he was wearing on. He closed the main compartment of his backpack, opening the compartment which contained his parents' lightsabers.

He pulled each of them out of the bag carefully, balancing them in his hands as if they were extremely fragile. He held his mother's lightsaber in his left hand and his father's in his right. He noticed that his father's hilt fit Arlan's hand much better than his mother's did, for his mother's hilt was slightly shorter than the other.

He ignited his father's lightsaber first, a faint ”˜crack, followed by a hum was heard as the blade rose from the hilt. The emerald-green hue of the blade gleamed brightly in front of Arlan, who became spellbound by the sheer beauty of it.

His mother's hilt was ignited, the dark blue blade glowing as bright as his father's. He swung both of the lightsabers up, holding them in front of him, side by side. He slowly swung the lightsabers around in front of him, hearing the faint hum grow and fall as he moved them around, bewildered by the fact that he was handling not only one, but two weapons that were used by Jedi.

• 1 month later...

"Thud"

My head rang of this sound as it collided with the durasteel floor that laid beneath me. Feeling the ship sway and rock did little to help my balance neither as i rose from the floor to the sound of the blaring horns of the comm's alarm system. This was a bad combination. A blind man trying to exit a room with the ship quickly losing altitude and control. And had it not been for my experience, it could have even been dangerous. Thank the stars that my twin pilot droids had been programmed rather well. It could have been worse.

"Report?"

I questioned as i entered the command deck of Dragonus, my white blind eyes staring into the dark abyss of nothing. And for a few moments, i had yet to receive a reply from the two's automated systems. I felt this odd, possibly even strange, until one spoke up not from in front of me, but behind me.

"Educated Guess: It seems that the hyperdrive has been tampered with. Apparently, Master, someone didn't want you making it to Theed."

Why someone would even bother with a blind hunter like myself, i held no clue. Could one of my many rivals had done it? No, none of them could think of such things, their minds incapable of processing anything even close. Imperial? Possibly. I wouldn't have put it past them. It could have even been a Sith, a creature of darkness and stealth. I would never truly know. And as Dragonus came to a unusually hard landing on the backwater planet, Dantooine, i knew only one thing to do. Replace the necessary parts and continue on my way. If it had been an Imperial or Sith, their day was not far upon the horizon. I would see to that.

But Dantooine, though civilized and inhabited by Humans, was far from the greatest place to find the parts i had needed. I had not landed far from Khoonda, so this capital city would be the likeliest place to look. Climbing aboard my Nightfalcon once again, i set off, Khoonda my next destination. It wouldn't take long for me to get there, but the ride seemed longer than expected. Though, my enjoying the crisp breeze of the planet did not help. I even heard Kath Hounds and Voritor Lizards off in the distance, though i paid them little heed. And after nearly a galactic hour, i arrived at my destination. What laid here awaiting my arrival, i could not foresee. Nor could i figure where my life would go here. For at the moment, i simply thought that Theed would be my next destination.

• 4 weeks later...

Malin's ship finds its way back to Dantooine, skimming in low over the planet before he brings it down. His reasons here were not so much reasons as instinct and premonition: a drive coming from his awareness in the Force.

Mediation on this planet calmed him in a macobre fashion. Death still lingered in the air, the voices of those lost hanging in it. Malin could reach out and talk with them, almost touch them, and in turn, reason things through.

Instead, he found something that tugged on his awareness. He activated his ship's scanners and found another craft. Swinging around, he took his ship in the indicated direction.

He brings his ship down, sensing the presence of another... Force user? There was something there, some of that Jedi spark he could sense. The level of training and ability was uncertain, but the potential was there. That much he could sense, probing further.

When Malin speaks after landing his ship, he does so though the Force.

Need a lift, brother?

Malin.jpg

Cade checked his sensors, the pirates pursuing him had been lost in the hyperspace jump- thankfully. As Cade had let Scythe's computers do the loading he only now saw the planet he had basically randomly jumped to. Dantooine, a peaceful enough world and a good place to hide from those he had only recently escaped. No longer would he work in the business of killing, his mercenary days were over, and the haunting memories could finally be put to rest. A shame to waste greatly honed combat skills, perhaps, but the life of a gentleman farmer on a back-water world almost seemed welcoming in its serenity.

Cade needed a way to escape his own inner turmoil at the atrocities of his life, and for whatever reasons his escape brought him to Dantooine. He activates Scythe's landing sequence and heads for what his computer tells him is the capitol city Khoonda. He believes it is a good place to rest for a while, visit a few taverns and find local information, and plot his next course of action- whatever that may be.

Landing Scythe Cade leaves his ship, and heads off to a local bar.

When i arrived at Khoonda, i dismounted from my speeder and headed into town. It had not changed much in appearance, the last few millennia, as i gathered from holovids of the place from Coruscant's many archives. But it's hard times and death shown brightly, even to a blind man such as myself. You could smell it's stench of war, hear the echos of it's many lost souls, even without such gifts as the force. Such was many planets, or so i was told.

My first stop was a local repair shop, the man located on a hill near the edge of town. Laid upon an old cloth were his merchandise. I reached down felt around for the needed part, finding it off to the side near a hyperscanner. Paying the old coot his money, i left before his conning ways would be forced upon me, something i didn't have time for today. I just had one more part to get and i could be on my way. Theed was growing closer so to speak. Or so i thought.

My next stop was an exotic parts store in the center of town near the market. Just my luck that a part on my ship would cost so much, but it wouldn't hold an aftermarket part. Hopefully they had it, or i was up a rapid creek without a paddle. Entering the shop, the doors hissing open and close as i stepped forward. It was a big shop, so i couldn't just feel around for the part i needed. Handing the Rodian owner the model's ID number, he went to work looking for it as he spoke of not knowing if he had it or not. Standing near the counter, i waited, my ears listening closely as patrons entered and left. Couldn't be too careful.

"Ah, got it." He spoke, grabbing and headed back to the front. "An expensive part to say the least, traveler."

Sliding over the needed credits, i said not a word as i grabbed the part and exited. It may have came off as rude. But my manners were the last thing on my mind. Whoever grounded me was the current train of thought. Making my way back to my Nightfalcon, i placed the parts in containers and fired her up. it was going to be a long ride back, and the sun was beginning to set. I didn't want to be out here when night fell. Giving the Nightfalcon everything it had, i shot off into the distance. I needed to make it back.

After a few hours, i arrived back at the ship, parts in tow. The remaining droids were waiting near the rear from me as i pulled up. Sending the first off into it's innards to work on it, i got off and took the other around and opened it's hull. The part needed to be put in from the outside. Laying down underneath it's hull, i began my work. And as night began to set, i was still at it. But noise broke my concentration, my blindness a weakness when it came to placing a part in correctly without the aid of my droids. Engines roared as they set down in the distance and a strange voice echoed within my mind.

"Brother?" I questioned what i guess was a thought at first, my experience with what the Sith called the Force limited at the time. "I have no brother."

Turning to view a dark shadow approaching, it became all too clear.

"No, but i could use a friendly hand." I said, placing my hand upon the sword that sat idly by upon my backside. "Or end any family ties we have stranger. Your choice."

I wasn't sure if he was Jedi or Sith, but i couldn't take too much of a chance. I was ready for a fight should he have chosen such a path. it was too much of a coincident that a Force User shows up not long after my hyperdrive failed due to sabotage. My time spent in Desolation Alley had taught me more than that.

Malin hops out of his ship, landing silently on the ground. Though his appearance is a bit disconcerting, being more akin to a bounty hunter (Malin's former profession), than a Jedi Master due to his face mask, air filter,full black body armor, and assorted weaponry, he notes through his visor and armored helmet, it would have no affect on the Force sensitive before him.

"Greetings," Malin states. While confident this was no Darksider, he was still guarded just in case, especially in the wake of the rather large bounty on his head after his duel with Sith Master Ar-Pharazon that ran across half of Coruscant. "I was in the area and senses a kindred spirit," he continues, his soft voice coming through his face mask. "My name is Jedi Master Malin Kyrell." Malin relaxes, letting his Force aura radiate outward towards Genesis. The aura is overwhelming that of a Jedi, but there is still something of a Dark vibe that resonnates deep underneath.

Malin.jpg

A gruff man approaches Cade, handing him a drink, while sitting across from him and gulping on his own.

"So what's yer story, son? Don't see you around here too often."

Grezzik grinned, knowing the younger man had no way of knowing that he was actually a Jedi Adept, a one of the guardians that watched after the planets the Jedi claimed. And Cade...Cade hadn't come here by accident. Grezzik found this plainly obvious.

((Sorry, didn't see your post. ))

Immediately reachable by  charlesjhall@gmail.com

Blz1mwg.png

Cade's temporary loss of focus was broken as a fellow patron sat down across the table from him. Taking the drink eagerly he joins the man in gulping it down.

Cade watched attentively as the man spoke, noting a sly smile on the mans face.

"My story? It's simple really, I made enemies with some bad people for good reasons and bit off a bit more than I could chew. So I ran. Bravery may be honorable but he who runs fights another day, and my luck got me to run here. Where, thanks to the kindness of strangers, I'm enjoying a nice drink. So, stranger, what's your name? I'm Cade."

Cade didn't really believe in random kindness, obviously the man had approached him for something bigger than a friendly chat. Perhaps the man had noticed an able bodied assistant for some work, that seemed reasonable enough.

"So, you're a coward, huh? Well, no shame in that. Everyone's been that at one point or another in their life. People call me Grezzik...But, you can call me Gee."

The old man gulped down another swig of the fiery liquid, chuckling as it warmed him to the bone.

"So, why'd you run here? Dirtball of a planet, if you ask me. Sure, it was great once, but with the Jedi and Sith warring, this place is just a desolate waste. Sure, I suppose you could hide here, but you can't hide from them Force users. Which begs the question I already asked: Why didja come here, Cade?"

The grin grew on Grezzik's face, bordering sinister, as he took yet another chug from his glass.

Blz1mwg.png

This man had somehow been able to see into Cade's inner turmoil, his murderous past, perhaps his darker edges. It seemed unwise to lie to him and for whatever reason Cade felt compelled to give him the truth.

"I'm a murderer, a gun-smuggler, and a pirate. I've been killing people for as long as I can remember. I'm hardly a man, more a living weapon. But on my groups last run we attacked a civilian freighter and were planning on massacring all of them, taking what we could get. I saw a girl, about the same age I was when I lost my family. I couldn't bring myself to kill her, I snapped and killed 2 of the men that hired me and ended up running to get them to chase me. I resolved for a different life after that, maybe a life of peace, and did a blind hyperspace jump to whatever was the most desolate place in range. I got here, as to why I'm here...... I want a new life, no matter what it takes."

Cade took a few more gulps, downing the last of the liquid, and sat feeling as if Gee was looking completely through the mask Cade wore. The stare made him slightly uncomfortable.

"Well, sithspit...you're pretty ****ed up."

Grezzik downed the last of his drink, wincing sourly before ordering another two.

"I know a fella or two might be able to hook you up, but you gotta promise me you're goin' straight. Can't be having my word tarnished and all. It's a good living, an honest living. I think you'll get a lot out of it. Or at least what you choose to put in it, but anything'd be better than those space dogs on yer bum, eh?"

The old man laughed heartily, quaffing yet another sip from the fresh drinks placed before them. God, he loved this place...he was so glad he asked for this post. Best thing he ever did.

"So, chum, what'll it be? Would ya trust ol' Grezz here?"

Blz1mwg.png

A new life, Cade thought to himself, an honest living, a good living. The words rang through his head. It might have been the drink affecting him but he could swear he felt an inner peace at the mere prospect of it.

Could Cade trust this man? His life had been full of failed ventures that came from trusting others, yet somehow this man seemed different. It was as if the man had no reason to lie, nothing to gain from Cade saying yes or no; he was genuine and that was something new to Cade. Besides a man with a laugh like his wasn't planning on double crossing anyone.

"I'll be a Di'kut and bite, what are you proposing?"

Cade returned to gulping his drink, for once in his life anticipating a response.

"Mandalorian, eh? Well...in that case, let's just say...Verd ori'shya beskar'gam, vod. I know you don't know me well, but I doubt it's just mere happenstance we met. Here, take this datapad, it'll take you to another building nearby. We'll meet there. I don't trust some of the unruly types around here..."

Grezzik shot a look to a few of the patrons as he drank again, standing and leaving after leaving a few credit chits on the table and ensuring Cade had the datapad.

Blz1mwg.png

"Mandokarla, vod... Mandokarla." Cade said these words to no one in particular, but in reference to Grezzik. To find someone who not only offered him a new life, but even knew Mandalorian custom.... Cade may not have been born Mandalorian, but after the death of his parents they were the society that accepted him and he had grown to trust that society without fail.

Finishing his drink he read the datapad and secured it within a pocket under his robes- while armor was a great part of the society he felt a part of even he knew that the display of such armor could lead to unnecessary violence.

Cade rose with that subtle grace that those who perceive destiny is within in their hands so often have and left the bar heading to the location outlined in the datapad.

Now out of the bar, the man known as Grezzik was devoid of a beer and had shed his large coat for spacer's clothing, still unnoticable in this little berg of a town. He walked across the street as Cade strolled out, bumping into him as he passed, barely muttering something under his breath which sounded like an alien curse, but to Cade, it was merely a friendly warning.

"Ba'slan shev'la, vod..."

He disapeared into a side alley, completely the opposite way of the directions on the datapad. It was dark, and Gee was hoping Cade would follow instead of getting cold feet, but if he was truly Mando he had nothing to fear. There was something Gee needed to take care of...

Blz1mwg.png