Just a Farmboy (Challenge response) (Fin)

Lhinneill

Response to May's challenge #6. (The title may change, as I hate titling things and that's just there 'cuz it's the first thing that came to mind.) ((Edited and changed. Not much better, methinks, but...it'll do.))

-----

The first time I saw him, I thought he might've been a Tusken Raider. He stood alone on a dune, his back to the twin suns. He didn't move or make any attempt to attack me, though. He just”¦stood there. I watched him for the longest time, squinting against the bright glare of the suns. He was dressed in loose tan robes””which was what had reminded me of the Tuskens at first. But the longer I watched him, the surer I was that he wasn't a threat.

There was something very important about him; I knew that much right away.

As the suns slipped beneath the horizon, he stepped down the side of the dune and vanished out of my sight. I ran back to the house before I got yelled at for being out after dark.

The man and I repeated the same routine for the next several nights. And then one night he didn't show up. That's when I mentioned him to Uncle Owen. My uncle didn't seem to like what he heard and sent me straight to bed. And though I know they tried to be quiet, I heard him and Aunt Beru arguing for a long time. After that, I didn't see the man again for months. I thought he'd abandoned our homestead for something more interesting.

And then, I had this dream. It was kind of crazy and I really don't remember too much, but I do remember seeing that man. I think he wanted to tell me something, but Uncle Owen woke me before I could figure out what it was.

That's when I started wondering.

After all my chores were finished and I had my chance to run off and play, I'd go to my secret hideout and pull out my toys. But most of the time I didn't even play with them. I just stared at the little model ships and tried to imagine what my parents had been like. Usually I pictured them strong and proud, looking nothing like the beaten-down citizens of Tatooine.

Sometimes, I almost felt like I knew them. I almost felt like a real kid was supposed to feel””loved and happy.

And then it all faded away to sand and heat and sweat, and I was a nothing but poor farmboy again.

Just when I thought the man wasn't ever coming back, I saw his figure outlined against the sky. This time I ran to the base of the dune, not caring if Uncle Owen got mad at me again. The man stood atop the peak for the longest moment, then slid down to join me. His hair was wild and his beard dusted with gray, but he had a gentle smile.

”œWell, hello there,”

Edited by Guest

Gorgeous little POV... it was really... yeah. Something that could have happened, you know? I imagined this little kid Luke gazing up at the awesome Ben Kenobi in awe...definately feels like it could lead into something...

Very nicely done!

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Maybe. Actually, to me, Anakin makes Luke look pretty mild. But I'm sure Luke would get into plenty of trouble either way. I think his trouble would probably be more accidental and less intentional than Anakin's. You know, like "I wonder what happens when I do this" as opposed to "I know I probably shouldn't do this but I wanna ao I'm gonna anyway."

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!