The Final Thoughts of a Dentist

silent88

So this is something I wrote for a class last semester. I thought it might be something you guys would be interested in reading. Thanks to anyone who reads it

The Final Thoughts of a Dentist:

He mumbles something incoherently, and swings at the alarm clock positioned dangerously close to the edge of the nightstand. She responds by shoving the man next to her out of bed. He sighs, and walks over to the dresser to start his morning routine. She rolls over into the warm indentation his body left in their bed, and swiftly falls back into a dreamless sleep.

He walks into the bathroom, stripping off his boxers and opening the frigid glass shower door to reach the hot water handle. He cries out when a pain similar to a pinprick shoots through his hand. He swats madly at his hand, and brushes something small and brown to the floor. He shudders deeply as he examines the hairy legs and ripe body of what looked like a female spider, bearing her new set of children. As he stares, the grotesque spectacle shudders and stops moving. He thinks about why the spider would have stopped moving, as he didn't hit her very hard, and realizes that she is terrified by the appearance of an almost hairless giant. He shakes the idea from his mind and focuses more on his intense fear of spiders, imagining how many more she must be carrying inside her. He turns on the hot water and watches as she desperately runs toward the edge of the shower, only to loose her footing in the sudden flood and be swept down the drain.

Grimacing, almost regretful of what he has done, he steps into the shower and lets the lukewarm water wipe away all of his thoughts. His mind drifts to work and his sleeping wife, filling with tasks of the day and his presentation that coming morning. When his foot brushes the drain, however, he cannot block out the image of the spider, and hopes she will find a place to raise her children in the sewers.

After a few minutes he steps out of the shower, plucking a towel off of the rack and holding it up to his face. It smells like mildew, but he continues to dry himself. He's too tired to really care. Once his body is dry, he walks to the counter and stares into the mirror. He vacantly picks up his toothbrush and spreads the fruity toothpaste that she loves onto the bristles, and plunges it into his mouth. The flavor instantly makes him gag but he persists, his dentist training telling him that this is good for him. The flavor reminds him of what happens if grapes are left in the fridge for months without being eaten. He briefly remembers his childhood, and his father laughing at him for wanting to be a dentist.

”œNo kid wants to spend all day sticking their hands into people's dirty mouths. Not when they can dream about being a rock star or an actor.”

Untitled-1copy-1.jpg

Interesting! I admit, when he was dying, I couldn't really tell what was going on. It was very fuzzy and weird. But your descriptions, especially the beginning, were great. I really liked the part with the toothpaste.

Good work, and glad to see you poking your head in here again!

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Hey guys thanks for the feedback, sorry if it seemed a bit fuzy in places. I wrote in in multiple pieces, and each time I was trying to accomplish something differen't . I might put more stuff I wrote for that class up later, it was mostly poetry though. Thanks again

Untitled-1copy-1.jpg