---The Official Fanfic Challenges Thread---

Tiana Calthye

I will edit into posts an index of responses to the challenges if anyone does them, so anyone looking to see if one's been done will be able to find it. PM me your links if I forget. I hope this'll provide a bit more incentive to try post them... a bit extra coverage. And by all means, feel free to write responses to earlier challenges, when I get more than one set up. So, without further ado...

TIANA'S FANFICTION CHALLENGES

-September '07-

1) Write a story featuring one or more of the Star Wars characters at a younger age than you see them in the movies/books. Whether this means a baby Luke or a teenage Qui-Gon, or even a "middle-aged" Yoda, this is up to you.

-BUH?? I mean... The Dragons of Bedland by DarthBrendo.

2) Write a short story beginning with the line, "When the sun set that night, he/she/I knew it would not rise again."

Responses:

Jedi on Fire by Obi-Gone.

Coruscant's Eternal Night by Silas

3) Write a story containing the following words: straw, baggage, bottle, lime, and fury.

4) Write a story in which a main character from any commonly known series is killed. (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc...)

A Padawan's Trials by Galadriel Kenobi

5) Write a story less than 3000 words long in first person. (That's around 6 pages in Word for me, double spaced size 12 TNR. )

The Stella Pascel Incident by ForceFusion

6) Write a story involving a princess and a lot of explosions.

Aaaand, for your final challenge...

7) Write a story, short or not, fanfic or not, with the most horrible, most cliche, most rehashed plot and/or characters you can think of. Write it as a parody, write it serious. Write it well, write it horribly. Most of all--have fun making fun of the writers who do it and mean it.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I've already had ideas for every one of your challenges. i'll definatly be doing each one when I have time. They were really good ideas.

Thanks, you make me feel a bit better.

Anyone doing the final challenge might want to put a warning in place... XD

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Hmmm... I might have a couple ideas for numbers two and four. I'm not sure if they'll work out, though. I'll have get to work on them right away.

GaladrielKenobi3.jpg

"Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought." --- Abraham Lincoln

"We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang seperately." --- Benjamin Franklin in the movie, 1776

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering doing a few of my last month's challenges, but for now, here are some new challenges for you!

Tiana's October FANFICTION CHALLENGES!

1) I've been introduced to a new form of writing: the 55 word story. In it, the first sentence is 10 words, the second is 9 words, the third is 8 words--until the last sentence, the 55th word, which is one word. Write one of these stories.

55 Words - A Dialogue by Tiana Calthye

Rank - Tiana Calthye

Winter - also by Tiana

Fifty-five? by skywalker-heir

2) Write a haiku about Star Wars.

A Haiku by Amidala Skywalker

3) Contain the following words in a story: chopsticks, ink, cupcake, door, marble.

4) Begin, end or contain within a short/long story the following line. "I watched my reflection walk by in the window."

-Immortal by Exodus

Vengeful Reflections by Galadriel Kenobi

5) October is the month where Halloween is the big thing. Write a Star Wars Halloween story, whether it be trick-or-treating, eating lots of candy, or dressing up in costumes, or something else entirely. Bonus points if you try write the most painful, worst, horrible Star Wars Halloween cliché EVER. Even more bonus points if you DO write something horrible, painful, and cliché and make it good. A million bonus points if you include Han wearing a bed sheet ghost costume and going "wooooooo". (thank Jandalf for that challenge, not me)

6) Write a short or long story about a reality game show (whether leginimate, parody, or original), and any one of these Star Wars villains: Darth Vader, Palpatine, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, or Boba Fett.

7) Take two main characters from any well known series and switch their roles. For example: Leia grows up on Tatooine and Luke is adopted by the Organas.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

You've got more up already? I'm still working on the seven fics prompted by the last set! At this rate I'll never catch up! Just kidding.

I've got four more ideas. Unfortunately, two of them are full-length fics, which I probably won't have time to write. I'll try, though. Nice challenges.

GaladrielKenobi3.jpg

"Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought." --- Abraham Lincoln

"We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang seperately." --- Benjamin Franklin in the movie, 1776

Snrk. NO one has an excuse to NOT do challenge two. And, I did say I was going to post new challenges every month. No one's ever required to respond. They're just in the hopes to inspire a new fic or two. I still want to do, personally, challenge 6 from the first one, then 4, 5, 6, and 7 in the new ones. If I get WtEO finished any time soon, too, I probably will take on 7 as a full length fic since I had a good idea--the one with the sentence, and my 'word' challenges I really ought to put into Autumn's Game since that's where I was putting all my 'word' challenges... snrk... and the princess one I had a short story idea going on.

Oh well. I should probably get the WtEO file onto "my" laptop so I can work on it at work, NOT on looseleaf... also, I should transcribe the stuff on looseleaf. x_o

spsig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tiana's NOVEMBER Fanfic challenges!

1) Join NaNoWriMo. Attempt the challenge. Fanfictions are legal and believe me, it is very doable. You'll make new friends, you'll have a month of crazy fun, and add me to your friends list if you do join... same username. I've completed it twice, once with 50k, once with 100k. Trust me, it's doable.

2) Read fanfiction. Find a fanfic, read it, and drop the writer a review explaining what the fic meant to you. Learn to write constructive critism. I won't post replies to this challenge. I'm just encouraging you to get out there, find a fanfiction or five, read them, and review them. Learn something from the fic, and help the writer to learn something from it as well””even if all they learn is that you think they're excellent at writing dialogue.

3) Contain the following words in a story: cookie, tablet, yellow, calculate, ribbon.

4) Begin or end a story or chapter with the following line: "The world washed away in a blast of vivid light".

Light to Dark by Skye Organa

5) Think of a story. Think of the genre. What makes that story the way it is? Star Wars, for example, is a space opera. It's soft science-fiction... almost science-fantasy. Change that genre. What if Star Wars was a Western, the Falcon was a horse, X-Wings were giant birds, and Obi-Wan was a sherrif? Write a story about however you changed that genre.

6) Take a character from another fandom, turn them into a Jedi or a Sith, and write a story. A billion points for you if you use a Discworld character.

7) Write a short story based on any of these sentences. Don't feel you're required to use them in a story.

"What if they were alive? They're alive, and they will hunt you down."

"Hence loathed Melancholy / Of Cerberus and blackest midnight born. ””L'Allegro, John Milton"

"The ocean crashed on blackened rocks. I walked on water out to him..."

"The trees can't talk in canon. This is the narrator's middleground."

"You're stuck in this time, there are no Jedi here."

"It seemed that in so many ways, they were a mirror image of the other."

The Stella Pascel Incident by ForceFusion

"It snowed that day."

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

I can't believe I just did this, but I signed up for Nanowrimo.

I'm looking for something...anything to get rid of this stupid writer's block that's been bugging me for so long. So...what the heck? right? I signed up today under the name Smash the Block, which reflects my reasons for joining. I still don't know exactly how everything is going to work out, but it's worth a shot. I'm going to aim for half of the goal: 25 thousand words. I think I'll go in under my Jedi on Fire story, which I already have 3k words complete. Plus, I have plans for it. Why not?

Obi-Gones-Award.gif

"The circle is complete! Now I [Obi-here] am the angst Master!"

Just remember you can't include any words you wrote out of November in your final count and it's in the FAQ that you're not supposed to start a half-finished story because you'll care too much about the characters to write the crap necessary to make the final wordcount. It's okay to rewrite, but don't try taking off from where you left off on a story because you'll already care about it... and you don't want to really care about writing good in Nano. That's why "not". Srsly, the goal's to have fun and produce whatever it is you consider a novel. It doesn't need to be finished, it doesn't need to be good, it doesn't even need to have a plot... just have fun, and write like you're on FIIAAHH!! And post the results.

My writing degrades by about 50%... BUT... you produce a lot and it's editable. (And, to be honest, I still love my last year's story and have complete intentions to finish it and edit it)

Which, incidentially, is very doable without writing ONLY crap... I've posted the beginnings of both mine. Which... may be crap... but... they're GOOD crap!

Maybe I should do a Nano fanfic. Good luck! I'll be sure to bother you regularly to make sure you're on target! (oh, and last year, my mom decided she'd write 20k... no time, you know? ...She wrote 67k. )

spsig.jpg

Good luck. I have so many ideas I can't focus, and I'm frustrated with my writing from doing WtEO and having it fail pretty miserably... well, I'm not stopping, even during November! (flails and dies)

Oh well. I'm sure that come tommorow, midnight, I'll have something crazy going on. >.>

spsig.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

December's fanfiction challenges.

1) Begin or end a story with a letter written to another character.

Her Sacrifice by Kasoapa

2) Star Wars Christmas story. GO.

The Empire Strikes Turkey, by Silas

3) Contain the following words in a story: ring, key, pale, sign, alcohol.

Break of Dawn by DarthBrendo (I find that interesting. Break of Dawn, and Light to Dark are the only responses to this challenge!)

4) Find an old poem and write a story based on it. By old I mean more than a few years old. I mean, before the 1930s, preferably. OLD.

5) Rewrite one of the Star Wars movies using characters from another fandom.

6) Find a voice. Writers write in different voices. Not only does this include point of view, this includes tense, and then how you write in this. Everyone has a preferable voice. That said, the most common voices are third and first present tense. Everyone has a voice they prefer using. Take a look at what you write: do you write in third person but use multiple points of view? Do you write in only first person, present tense? Do you write only in second person ("you" based)? See what you write. Then write something different. Tell a story from the point of view of an object, or a person trapped in a room with the ability to see everything outside of the room and nothing inside. Write a fanfiction in first person. If you only write past tense, try writing something in present tense. Try mimic the voice of a known writer. Challenge yourself as a writer. Write something different.

7) Write a story less than 500 words long.

The Empire Strikes Turkey, by Silas

Voices by Tiana Calthye

Normally, I stop at 8, but I just realized I didn't have a 'sentence' challenge this time. Whoops.

Begin or end a story with the line "It's been a long time."

That said, I joined and completed Nanowrimo with 100k words. Obi-here joined and completed with 13k, I believe. Still a notable effort.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started working on one of the November challenges, got side tracked then after reading the December challenges decided to combine the two::

Combining Challenges December 3) Contain the following words in a story: ring, key, pale, sign, alcohol and November 07 Challenge #4 Begin or end a story or chapter with the following line: "The world washed away in a blast of vivid light".

Should have it up soon.

SkyeOrgana.jpg

Mmm. Your post will be eagerly awaited!

Challenges for the new year! (January 2008!)

1) It's a new year, but that doesn't mean retrospect is bad. Go find an old fanfiction or original fiction you wrote, or even an old RPG post. Laugh at it. Then rewrite it. Provide a link to the original, too. =D

Break of Dawn by DarthBrendo

2) Someone bursts into the room with a gun/bomb/flowers/all three. GO.

Not Who I Thought - Amidala Skywalker

3) Contain the following words in a story: duck, belt, can, flee, and remorse.

4) Duels always have an outcome. In Star Wars, ultimately, the good guys have to win--even at great cost. Change the outcome of a duel.

5) Write a story about a dream.

6) Begin or end a story with the following sentence. "She never saw it coming."

Not Who I Thought - Amidala Skywalker

Break of Dawn by DarthBrendo

7) Setting is one of my favorite toys in writing. You'll notice if you read one of my longer fics, there's generally several settings--all very different. Take a look at what you write. Do you contain your characters in one city for an entire story, or do you write epics that span the entire galaxy? Challenge yourself. Write a story and contain it in one small place. A prison cell, a train car, a closet, a bedroom, a lab. And then, break out of that. Write a story that spans across settings. Use several planets. Write about a romance that takes place between someone who lives in an underwater habitat and a space station. To respond to this challenge--simply write a story and post a link to it, as well as the sort of setting(s) it takes place in. Bonus points if you use one of the specified ideas.

Toys in the Attic by Zero

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Soon = a month soon, eh, Skye?

Challenges...

Febuary. Febuary 2008. So I thought. I'M MORTAL I'M NEVER GOING TO GET LAST MONTH BACK. Actually, I do think that. O_o But beside the point. No, actually, I thought... what does Febuary have going for it? Besides the bitter freaking -35 Celsius weather... besides the three foot deep snowdrifts and the miserableness of it all? Let's see, so... there's... VALENTINES DAY!

Hence, Febuary is now officially HORRIBLE SUFFERING ANGST + MUSHY HAPPY PINK HEARTS month. Or, you know, just AU and LOVE month.

On to the challenges!

1) AUs are ALWAYS an excellent key to angst or horrible mush. AUs are always about cause and effect. Mainly. "AU". Alternate universe. They're always about the question "what if". What if someone died? What if there was a mirror universe where Sith were good and Jedi were bad? What if Obi-Wan's lightsaber exploded after it got wet? And they're about cause and effect. IF Qui-Gon arrived too late on Tatooine, and Darth Maul escaped having killed Obi-Wan, we assume that step wouldn't have been there to prevent him from immediately starting training with Anakin. Therefore... what would happen? Write an AU. There's a list below. Ideas yoinked from the rest of the site. Well, mainly the Star Wars boards, you know. And my brain. But yes.

-Anakin beats Obi-Wan on Mustafar. We assume he would go on to then kill Palpatine...

-Darth Vader learns about Luke earlier/goes to Tatooine and finds Luke before the events of the Original Trilogy take place.

-Qui-Gon is killed by Darth Maul on Tatooine.

-Take 'alternate universe' seriously. Create an alternate universe and a way to travel between them.

-Someone steals the Death Star plans before copies are made.

-Luke joins the Empire, as per original intent, and doesn't help the Rebellion.

-Alternate pairings! Pick your pair! Make it believable.

The Pincer of Fate, by Darsha Assant (Ackbar remains a slave; the Rebellion loses the Endor Battle)

Malism by Amidala Skywalker

2) Happy Valentines Day. Pick your favorite Star Wars couple and write a nice, mushy, sappy, Valentines Day story with them. Here, a few challenges within a challenge again... (don't feel trapped by these)

-A story with the theme of pink.

-Anakin brings Padme chocolate.

-Someone sends Master Yoda cards without signing a name...

-Luke dreams about Mara Jade.

-Han and Leia share a nice romantic meal.

-A story about roses.

-"I love you more." "No, I love YOU more." "Ohhh." "Like sand!"

3) "Looking at our history, I notice a trend." <--Begin story/chapter with line.

Since it appears 'line' challenges are the favorite (I know I liked them best), have a few more for good measure!

4) "S/he stumbled through the snowdrifts only to watch the ship rise into the sky." <--begin or end story/chapter with line.

5) Themes are fun. Write a story with a set number of chapters that contain a theme. Tie them together. Short stories that still have chapters are fun. For example.

Chapter one: North

Chapter two: South

Chapter three: East

Chapter four: West

Or

Chapter one: Dawn

Chapter two: Morning

Chapter three: Afternoon

ETC?

Find a binding theme like that and write a story around it.

6) Word time! Yay! "Blond, purfume, bridge, battle, fantasy."

Ever wonder where my words come from? (dies) I look around my computer desk. Lots of clutter.

7) Names and appearences can mean a lot. Write a story about someone who changes their name and changes their appearance, whether willingly or unwillingly.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg