Relinquish (Obi, Ani EP3 vig) (Complete)

Title: Relinquish

Characters: Obi-Wan, Anakin

Timeline: Revenge of the Sith

Disclaimer: GL owns all, yadi yadi yadi...

Notes: This is just a short - really short - little vig which popped into mind, albiet with a specific purpose. It's Matthew Stover-esque in style, not because I was aiming to do so but because it worked best with the disjointed, in-the-moment analysis of feelings and motivations that I was going for. More on this afterwards....

===================================

Relinquish

This is how it feels to be betrayed by the person who was your brother. It rents the heart in two and leaves a gaping hole in the gut, making even the simple intake of air painful. This is how it feels to slowly awaken to that betrayal, to have been so busy denying the words of caution that you don’t hear the echoing whisper in your own heart. This is how it feels to deny a possibility while you secretly await its arrival, unbeknownst to even yourself.

This is the heat of everything falling to pieces around you which blasts against your back and forces rivulets of sweat between your shoulder blades. This is the last desperate grasp at holding the galaxy together.

“You have turned her against me.”

“You have done that yourself.”

This is how it feels to look at the face of your closest friend and see an absolute stranger.

“You will not take her from me!”

This is how it feels to see the warnings of your mentor become reality and lose the ability to refuse it.

“Your anger and your lust for power have already done that.”

This is how it feels to know the death of your brother is the solution.

This is how it feels to throw off your Jedi cloak…and watch your enemy do the same.

“Don’t make me kill you.”

“Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic…to democracy.”

This is how it feels to face someone twisted by lies.

“If you’re not with me, you’re my enemy.”

“Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.”

This is how it feels to be confident of your position.

“You will try.”

This is how it feels to face off against the one you have always fought beside, and know this is no longer practice no matter how hard you pushed each other then. The match will not end with the two of your extinguishing your weapons and walking off the mats.

This is being so consumed by the moment that you don’t care.

This is how it feels to breathe in the tension so oppressive that the air is thick with its heat. This is how it feels to have the exhilaration of the Force pumping through your body unhindered.

This is how it feels to grit blade against blade, to be bent on the destruction of another.

“Don’t make me destroy you, Master. You’re no match for the Dark Side.”

“I’ve heard that before, Anakin…but I never thought I’d hear it from you.”

This is how it feels to be consumed by anger, so overtaken by your own emotions that it would have scared you…before. This is how it feels to have liquid hate rushing through your veins until you tremble with power as it eradicates all of your previous inhibitions.

This is how it feels to push against the hot currents of air, to have a molten river of disorienting reds, oranges and blacks move below you.

“I have failed you, Anakin. I was never able to teach you to think.”

This is how it feels to be taunted with lies and insults.

This is how it feels when you stop controlling yourself.

“From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!”

This is how it feels to surrender yourself to your deepest fears and let them control you. This is how it feels to be a pawn but feel invincible in your anger.

This is how it feels to justify it.

“It’s over, Anakin. I have the high ground.”

“You underestimate my power!”

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Edited by Guest

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

GIMPY!!! It's so good to see you!

And you achieved your aim, because at the beginning, I did think it was from Obi-Wan's POV. That was a very nice twist, and a nice insight that lead you to that.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but not bad at all, and an enjoyable read. One typo: In the second sentence it should be "rends" not "rents".

I think you pulled off the style well. It seemed a bit disjointed in the middle with it intersperesed with the dialogue, but again, it wasn't that bad.

Overall, I liked it and it was very awesome to see something else by you, but not your best work.

When is your quarter over so that you come back for good?

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

(grins) I've been into visualizing things lately, y'know? So to me this was a dark screen with just the voice, with letters highlighted in crimson swimming up. Like... a teaser trailer, you know?

I did indeed think it was Obi at the start...

This is being so consumed by the moment that you don't care.

This is how it feels when you stop controlling yourself.

I like that.

It's a very inspiring line.

I'd offer a critique, but... there really isn't enough HERE to critique, you know? I could pick at grammar and balance but I really don't feel like it. I offer that it feels like a teaser trailer, really. I enjoyed it, but I really can't focus to be opinionated. I thought you could've avoided so much dialogue in there, but on the flip side, it could be said that because the dialogue was used that way it was amazing. I would've liked to see a bit more in-head stuff... hmm. Oh well. It's good to see you back, even for a wee bit.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I love it when you do these twists! As often as you do them, I still don't see it coming. That was a good, thought provoking viggie. Interesting to think that their thoughts could be so similar. It was slightly choppy, but I am glad you included the dialogue. It gave more perspective to the scene and the train of thoughts.

Ami: Hehe...wow, what a warm welcome! Thanks! I'm glad it did come off as Obi's view at first...and I'll definitely agree, it wasn't my best work. Thanks for catching that typo - maybe I'll play with it more at some point to try to work in the dialogue better.

The semester is over May 15th; graduation is May 19th. So I should be free from the school-imposed prison and hopefully playing with the next post of BLU around then!

Tiana: Snicker. Hadn't thought of it as a trailer, but that does work well. I'm glad you liked the "This is being so consumed...." line, that was supposed to be the start of Anakin's perspective becoming clear.

"I'd offer a critique, but... there really isn't enough HERE to critique, you know?"

Quite true. Yeah, the dialogue could have been left out entirely, but I wanted to ground the passage at least somewhat in the events on Mustafar...and then plug in lines from both of them to really show the similarity - and yet complete difference - of their thoughts. Thanks for reading, you!

NavyGal: Thanks! Glad it did read as if it was Obi-Wan in the beginning. It's so hard to twist around to Anakin's perspectives that the feeling of betrayal mentioned brings us automatically to Obi.

Kiara: Doth my eyes deceive me, or hath Kiara appeared over far horizon? Hehe...little twists are fun. I'm glad I can still get away with them! It was a bit choppy.. Your picked out precisely why I decided to include the dialogue, though.

Thanks for reading/replying, everybody!

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

• 11 months later...

Great job! You did have me fooled at first - I thought it was Obi-Wan's like you said.

Then I got to:

This is how it feels to throw off your Jedi cloak”¦and watch your enemy do the same.

And it began to dawn on me, because I knew that Anakin is the first one to take off his cloak.

That was very cool!

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!