Nobody Knows --- A LotR response to challenge #2 (Complete)

Galadriel Kenobi

Okay... here is my response to challenge number two out of the latest bunch of challenges (from Amidala Skywalker)! The challenge was: Write a short story ending or beginning with the phrase "Nobody knows where he is." This is LotR, not SW, but it still works, and I'm hoping that I can actually begin and end with the required phrase .

EDIT: FYI - This edit can be considered a spoiler for the Appenices, so consider yourselves warned. 'Thorongil' is one of Aragorn's many aliases, and one that he used while he served under Thengel of Rohan (Theoden's father) and Ecthelion of Gondor (Denethor's father).

”œNobody knows where he is.”

Edited by Guest

GaladrielKenobi3.jpg

"Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought." --- Abraham Lincoln

"We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang seperately." --- Benjamin Franklin in the movie, 1776

Hmmm, interesting start here, Galadriel! It was rather short, and I will admit to enjoying the first brief clip more than the second. I liked the repeated use of the challenge phrase and, even more so, the very last sentence: "They were successful and the navy had returned to Pelargir, but where was the captain?" It was a nice contrast and set up quite the mystery.

In the second part I have to admit that it seemed almost too brief and I didn't quite see Aragorn's characterization come out. On the other hand, I loved the Falastur's thoughts at the end that "the captain seemed to belong in Gondor." That was definitely perfect.

I'll be waiting for the rest of those posts!

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

jedi_master_gimpy - Thank you for your input! It's true that I didn't really do much characterization of Aragorn, but then again, I didn't originally intend to put him in. That section is mainly to introduce Falastur as the messenger and show what happened before the message got sent to Ecthelion rather than provide insight into Aragorn/Thorongil's character. (Although, if I had been paying attention I probably could have and should have done both.)

I think that one more post should be sufficient to finish it up, and I'll probably add it in the next few days. It may be longer, though --- I have a lot of schoolwork to do right now.

GaladrielKenobi3.jpg

"Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought." --- Abraham Lincoln

"We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang seperately." --- Benjamin Franklin in the movie, 1776

I can guess where Aragorn is going here. Towards Mordor? Gollum, perhaps, hmmm?

Anyway, just wanted to say I will be looking for the rest of your story with anticipation. I'm always happy to read LOTR fics. Heh, I should have written more than one... you've inspired me, Galadriel.

ttfsig14zh2.jpg

"According to this website, you should never trust the source of an online quote." --Abraham Lincoln

I'll echo what the others have said...you've done a really good job with the prompt. I'll always read a Lord of the Rings fic, although I'd never dare attempt them myself for fear of tarnishing Tolkien's genius. But you do a very good job with them, acheiving a Tolkein-esque feel to your fics.

I'm interested to see where this goes next.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Ethro - Glad you're enjoying it! Aragorn is probably not going to find Gollum just yet. This takes place sometime when he is between the ages of twenty-six and forty-nine, according to the 'Tale of Years' in the Appendix of RotK. If I'm not mistaken, nobody except Sauron starts getting interested in Gollum until Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday, at which time Aragorn would be about seventy-one. However, I'm not looking at my books right now, so I could be wrong about that. I'm inspiring? Wow, thanks!

Ami - Thanks! You think it is Tolkien-esque? That's probably one of the best compliments I've ever gotten. I really appreciate it!

I'm going to try and get the end of this up by the end of the week, but I can't make any promises.

GaladrielKenobi3.jpg

And here it is! After several false starts, I have finally got the ending of this story. Thank you again for all the positive feedback!

Ecthelion sat on his seat below the empty throne of Gondor as the messenger entered and bowed. ”œWhere is Thorongil?”

GaladrielKenobi3.jpg

Yay, good stuff. I liked this bit a lot, Galadriel. You really caught the tone of Middle Earth in their speech ("He would not return..." "We were unlooked for..." "...if that be my fate", "When last seen, his face was towards the Ephel Duath."). Very nice characterization in that here, and I also greatly liked the echo of the first line.

Nice job!

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

Amidala Skywalker: Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

jedi_master_gimpy: Thanks! A lot of those phrases actually came almost straight from the book, so I can't really take the credit for them. However, I do tend to think in that kind of language, strangely enough, and that helped me come up with the rest of it.

GaladrielKenobi3.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Awesome! Without digging too hard, I finally came across some LOTR fanfiction. And it didn't totally screw up the Tolkien feel at all. I've always been afraid to even consider trying to write in the Tolkien. I'd feel like some heretical sect trying to add on to Sacred Scripture. This was a nice little read. It wasn't long which was fine. There's no need to try and reinvent the wheel. Especially this wheel.

Well done.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen