Borleias

Tarrian Skywalker

I immediately nodded. "I know many in GA leadership. But I think our best bet at this point in time would be to try and contact Admiral Bruce Slaughter. Last I heard, he was essentially the fleet commander. And he's an old...friend of mine." Okay, so he wasn't really a friend--the man mistrusted Jedi too much for us to really be friends--but I had worked with him a lot during the war, and I highly respected him. "Do you want me to ask if their intelligence has located Raven? Excuse me, the Empress? Or are you more interested in fleet support from them? I'd like to know exactly what you wish to propose to him before I try to make contact." I paused very briefly. "The Remnant is likely our best source regardless, though. They will have the most motivation to find her as well."

Meanwhile, I was pleased that Mjan had been bold enough to speak up. I reached out and spoke through the Force into his mind. "Never be afraid to express your thoughts and opinions, padawan. They are always welcome."

aira%20sig%202016_zpsneqbkyej.jpg

Captain of the Galactic Alliance & Jedi Knight

((Note: as of this moment, Adenna doesn't know about Darex or the Council. As far as I know, his resignation was IC'ly only sent to the Council and was not broadly known.))

Adenna shrugged at the question. "I will take what we can get. Long term, we need to remain close to the GA fleets and leadership, but short term, we need intel. Depending on what we need to do, ships aren't bad, either. If you can, please get into contact with whatever GA forces you can. I am going to go and see Master Draygo and see if she can get in touch with the Grandmaster."

With a bow to Aira and a nod to Mjan, she left the bridge and headed out to where she could feel the injured Jedi Master. When she arrived, she realized that Armiena was having a fairly personal conversation with someone she presumed was her Padawan and, feeling slightly guilty, elected to wait outside in the corridor rather than to interrupt. She understood the importance of those things and didn't want to intrude upon them.

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

"Some believe the Force to be an immortal living being, capable of thought, planning, and over-all sight of things that have came and will come. Others believe it to be a life force, like a current or stream that flows through all creations, simply guiding one to where they're meant to be given by the choices they make. And then there are some that believe it's simple a made up fiction of our imaginations to give philosophical reasons as to the gifts we were simply born with. Whichever is right, I cannot say. Only that I choose my path within my heart, and heed its call I do without lightness." - Genesis Stormhelm

What I, at first glance, believed to be a medical technician checking me over as I began to come to, was in fact Master Armiena as my blurred vision began to focus. All I could do in that moment was smile as I felt the warmth of her form holding me tight, almost motherly, as I strained my tensed muscles and began to rise, the vertigo beginning to subside. That dream, twice in one day, was no mere coincidence as I would soon find out, Armiena's limited knowledge only confirming it for me. Katarr, an ancient Miraluka Colony, the species of my mother's lineage, calling to me. But why me?

"So it's a wound of the Force?" I questioned outloud, momentarily realizing that my voice was hoarse and mumbled, causing me to attempt to clear it with no avail. I remembered something about wounds in the Force, places where the Force seemed to no longer exist, places where its touch and senses were muted and almost non-existent, during my pillaging days of the Dantooine Conclave. Yet, if Katarr was such a wound, why did it call to me? Why have I dreamt of it twice now, both times of my mother and this woman she stood with? My gaze shifted from Armiena to the ground in hidden concern. "I've dreamt of this place twice now. And both times I've saw my mother and this veiled woman. What does it mean Master?"

Pulling out my half of the crystal from my pocket, I stared at it puzzling, wondering what it meant. My heritage, this crystal that splintered its self upon my meeting my Master - another of half Miraluka blood, my surviving Coruscant, and now this dream. If I didnt know any better, I'd believe someone had a guiding hand at my back and I was being pushed toward a goal I had yet to figure out. And in truth, the thought of a predetermined destiny, it scared the living hell out of me. But I couldn't dwell on that at the moment, as I turned my gaze back to Armiena and placed the crystal back into my pocket. "You seem to be doing better."

Mjan smiled as Aira's words entered his mind telepathically, a skill he has felt before from some of the Elders of his former Order, including his Father. He would have thought the feeling of another would be awkward, if not violating, but Aira's presence seemed belonging, almost comfortable, as her thoughts echoed within his mind. And this pleased him even more, as it stood as testimony to how far he has came with her guidance. But as the other Knight left the room, something about her brashness did not quite sit well with him.

"Master Aira," Mjan conversed outloud after Adenna's departure. "I understand the need to gather our allies, especially considering the threat of the Sith Order and my Tsis brethren. But I have some reserves on this mission. It feels political rather than a rescue." Mjan was new, however, and he wondered if he was merely reading things the wrong way.

Still, it seemed that he and his Master had a mission to do. Whomever this Knight Sarna seemed to have connections to the Imperial Remnant while Master Aira held connections to the Galactic Alliance through her former life as a Republic Soldier and former student of Onderin Starlisk. So it seemed that their mission entailed gathering Intel through them. Mjan guessed he would learn on the fly, just as his Master seemed to have. With a smile he questioned... "So where do we begin?"

Adenna left fairly abruptly--she was like that, I remembered, never lingering when she had said all she had needed to say. Others considered her rude at times, but it didn't bother me. Better brief and considered rude than long-winded and considered boring. I turned to Mjan just as he mentioned some reservations he was feeling. "Hmmm," I nodded, "what do you mean by political rather than rescue? Is it merely because she is the Remnant Empress?" I didn't pause, but continued. "Of course, that will bring politics into this, no doubt about it: a Jedi is a negotiator, a diplomat. But we aren't politicians." Sometimes it did feel like it, though. I had spent the last few years being what was essentially a political liaison between the GA and Jedi, a role that I could have done just as easily as a non-Jedi. But it was good for the Jedi Order to have a Jedi be their spokesperson, and it was a role I was willing to fill, even if it wore on me sometimes.

But I was interested to hear what my padawan was thinking. I motioned for him to follow as we headed into the turbolift and I sent us hurtling down towards the hangar deck.

Ships, oh how she loathed them. Artificial lights, gravity, filtered air. Grumbling to herself, her travels had taken her on a solitary route from fore to aft of the establishment. It was in this last route that she turned a corner- and there was the Jedi Knight she had once chatted with a dozen worlds ago. What was her game? Why was she taking charge without anyone saying whether or not she had permission?

No one was stopping her, and here Trushaun was- following her. A long time ago when she first entered into the rest of the galaxy- she had been kidnapped and experimented upon. Reflexively she looked down to see the numbers burned into her arm. Now she meant to save the person in charge of those troops in white? Imperials? They had stepped in when no one else did to liberate the wookiees. Had the Empire changed? While she kept asking herself these questions to which she already knew the answer, Trushaun marched forward to talk to Adenna while she was idly standing by a doorway.

“Trushaun is glad to see Jedi Alluyen once again. Taking charge when Jedi Order has no known leader, inspiring it is. Jedi Alluyen is nervous? So is Trushaun, but invested faith in Jedi Alluyen. Trushaun is no Knight, but here to help Master Adenna.” Now, she paused, turning her head slightly down the hallway as if looking for ghosts or shadows. “Force is strong here, with Jedi.” She looked back up at the human across from her. “Master Adenna walks within the light. Call and Trushaun will be there.”

Her basic was so fractured it was hard for her to get the words out.When she had been using the third language frequently it was more natural and flowing. Now it was rusty. There had been almost two years of sticking to the shadows and tracking down those who raided old tombs of Force users and stealing trinkets- she had worked alone and barely needed to talk to anyone. She hoped she wasn’t making a fool of herself- but as Adenna was right there in passing, Trushaun might as well speak to her. Was she even a master? Did it matter? The two had only interacted a few times- but it would have been rude to pass by without at least saying hello… but Adenna was looking like she was waiting for someone. So young Fosh bowed her head in a matter that conveyed ‘I will see you later.’

Leaving little room for the conversation to start up, Trushaun straightened and continued on her journey around this level.

Trushauncopy3.png

Mjan nodded as Master Aira tried to address his reservations, understanding the roles Jedi seemed to play amidst the Galactic governments and alliances, much like his own among the Tsis species. Kissai were priests, and were considered religious leaders and looked to for guidence, much like the Jedi. However, his reservations weren't about their roles in the upcoming mission, but of the reasons behind it. Stepping aboard the turbolift behind his Master, Mjan leaned against its railing.

"It just feels more about the Alliances rather than the Empress herself..." Mjan spoke, trying to figure out the right wording to express his concerns, warranted or not. It's not that he distrusted this Knight, Adenna Alluyen, as he had merely just met her. But it concerned him that she seemed more concerned with Aira's Galactic Alliance contacts as well as the other Knight, Sarna, and her connections to the Imperial Remnant than that of the Empress, even as he remembered the original comm before their flight over. "Perhaps it's because I am new to the Order and haven't quite grasped the full extent of a Jedi's role, but a life is a life, and i feel this mission wouldnt be taking place had this Empress not been the Imperial Remnant Empress."

Mjan felt slightly embarrassed as he sat in silence after speaking. He realized that he was indeed new and really held no experience in the role he had freely chose for himself under Master Aira's tutelage. But this was why he voiced himself to her, seeking her guidence to quell his inner voice should he be understanding things wrongly. Aira was his Master, and now Senior Officer, and he respected her words and thoughts above all else. Her wisdom was what he sought, even as his golden gaze remained upon her own.

“I’ve been to one of these places before. It was not pleasant.” Armiena glanced away from the glowing crystal and something slammed shut within, allowing only the barest hint of profound regret to escape before a suit of armorweave rose around her emotions. There was a long hesitation before Armiena continued. “How these places continue to interact with the Force is an utter mystery to me. If these dreams that you’re experiencing are premonitions, I can only advise you to be cautious with how you interpret them. You do have people that care about you, and misinterpreting one of these visions can be a painful mistake.

“As for me… everything below the neck appears to be working. It’s an arm. I can do without that more easily than other parts of the anatomy.” A silver, skeletal medical droid entered the medical suite shortly after that statement, bearing a framework prosthetic hand that was placed upon a bed of sterilized gauze. Draygo gave the limb a passing glance--the mechanical skeleton didn’t enjoy the cushioning of synthflesh and its bronze and steel mechanisms lay exposed. The droid took a position beside a visitor’s seat and waited with the still patience of a mechanical sapient. Draygo helped Genesis up to his feet and followed the droid to its post.

“I apologize, Master Draygo. We are experiencing a critical exposure of synthflesh. We can replace the--” The veteran Jedi waved off the droid’s apology, only to have the truncated wrist seized and gently restrained to the gauze. As the mechanical medic continued its work of attaching the assembly’s gossamer fibers to the remaining nerve endings in her severed limb, Armiena’s attention shifted towards the entrance to the medical suite.

“Sorry, Genesis--I promise you, we will continue this conversation later,” Armiena muttered to her Padawan. Projecting her voice, she turned towards the entrance of the sterile chamber. “Enter, Alluyen.”

Armiena’s right hand--the prosthetic--balled into a fist as the Jedi Knight entered. She shot the droid a glance as the bronze fist relaxed. In testing the responses of the limb, the droid had triggered a reflex in her wrist. “You’ve probably anticipated the crisis that we are facing. What’s left of Coruscant that isn’t in ruins is being abandoned by the Galactic Alliance. I just received a comm from Darex. He’s stepping down as Grandmaster. I haven’t heard from any member of the Jedi Council. Where they are and what they’re doing is a mystery to me.

“The Jedi Order needs new leadership, someone that can rally the Order and turn it into a useful force in this war.” Again, her prosthetic limb twitched involuntarily under the ministrations of the medical droid. Armiena glanced away, and when her gaze returned, she looked back at the young Alluyen with eyes that were as old as war itself. Decades of warfare were etched indelibly upon her presence, in the form of a lost limbs, numerous scars, and the memories of the lives that she had taken and the knowledge that she would soon have to take life again.

Then she just nodded. “That person is not me.”

drayyy.png

I sighed. "Unfortunately, you're probably right. It shouldn't be that way--a Jedi values all life, and every life is just as important as any other life. We are called to risk and sacrifice ourselves for the lowest as well as the highest. But we're also fallible beings, and fallible beings can make good decisions for the wrong reasons." I paused. "Now, I'm not saying that Alluyen is making this decision for the wrong reason. I don't know her thought process. But I'm choosing to focus on the fact that regardless of who Raven is, we're rescuing her because she is a being that deserves dignity and respect, and because it's our call to try and save her." We continued down the corridor. "As to if this mission would be taking place if she wasn't the empress....the truth is, I don't know if we would have known about it if she wasn't. If we had, I would hope that we would still make an attempt to save her. But I don't doubt that Alluyen is willing to risk more than normal because of Raven's position." I sighed again. "I don't agree with that. Raven is my friend, and I want to help her, but we are at war, and in war, sacrifice is required. We have to make smart choices with our resources."

I shook my head. "And that's exactly why Jedi are bad at war. The Code teaches us that we should hold all lives equally, but war demands ruthless calculus." I hated it, but I couldn't see another way. The Masters, the Council, perhaps they could. But that wisdom was hidden from me.

I took a deep breath. "Anyway...speaking of the Code, you were reading up on the basics of it, weren't you? What did you think? What questions do you have of me?"

While Adenna waited for Master Draygo, she reached out into the Force to get a sense of her surroundings. There was so much changing in the Galaxy and the Jedi had to be ready for it before things were all lost. While she was focused on what the Force was telling her, a strangely familiar presence entered her perception. She struggled a moment to remember the odd Jedi she met long ago on Gala when both were starting their journey as Jedi. The melodical voice that filled her head was odd, strangely structured, and with even stranger meanings when she pieced it together. Then, without pause or opportunity to respond, Trushaun left and faded away. Adenna came out of her light trance and looked at both ends of the corridor, but didn't see the feathered Jedi. Part of her wondered if the Fond had even been there at all, or if that was something she sensed through the Force. She was left with a peculiar sensation, one of comfort and yet, a strange pressure as if a bubble had been forming and was about to burst.

Shaking her head to clear it, Adenna made a mental note to track down Trushaun and see what she was up to. It had been years since they had spoken, but she had always liked the odd Fond and would like to find out where the Force had taken her. Adenna's own journey hadn't exactly been full of pleasant things, but there were worse paths she could have taken. At least now, she had rid herself of the constant threat of insanity and had found a man to love and who loved her back.

The door she had been standing by opened and she heard her name called. Entering into the medical chamber, she noted that Master Draygo was recovering quite well, though still had some work to go. She hoped that her treatment of nanites helped and would continue to help.

The news that the Grandmaster was stepping down was a blow to her. She had not always agreed with Darex, but she respected him as a leader. To lose his leadership now was devastating, especially with the Council dissolved. She had truly hoped to rally them and get support for taking action, but without leadership, that would be difficult.

She agreed with Master Draygo that leadership was needed, but then was saddened when she claimed it wouldn't be her. Adenna's mind raced as she struggled to figure out who might serve well as the Jedi's leadership. She immediately thought of Vos, but realized that while he was a good leader, he was also a divisive member of the Order that many wouldn't trust. It was a shame, because the Jedi could use someone who was so skilled at building up a network of contacts and was able to fight as well. His work with Sandy and the other Padawans showed he was also good at teaching, even if he didn't see himself as such. Other names of Jedi who could lead ran through her mind, but she wasn't sure how many of them were even alive after the recent battles over Onderon and Coruscant. The Jedi were scattered now and definitely needed to be rallied. She also thought of Knight Cadan. She was a woman who had led troops and fought in war, so perhaps she would be suitable to lead the Jedi as well.

"I understand," she said after several long moments. "We need to find someone who can lead the Jedi and bring us back together. There are many who would do well, but I do not know where they are or if they are even alive. Do you have any idea where to start looking for some of the other Masters?"

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

"Some believe by taking out the leader of a well established faction simply kills the faction, similar to the idealogy of cutting the head off of a snake. But when it comes to the Jedi, they are like that of Hydra, where one head is cut and two raise to claim its place. In this action alone, is why the Order has survived its entire existence, even during Order 66 and the Jedi Purges that followed." - Genesis Stormhelm

Listening to Armiena speak of premonitions and interpretations, one could tell of a painful experience even without the Force. But I knew well enough to heed her message of caution, and though I did not quite fully understand the dream nor what it meant, I knew best to seek her advice upon it. Perhaps another time, as she suggested after a medical droid came in to prep her sleeving of an artificial limb. Which in truth, although I had seen such devices before, still held a fascination in my eyes. A combination of flesh and metal, a chance to repair what was lost, it was truly a marvel of medical science.

So as Armiena and Alluyen, the one I notice before entering returned, talked about the Jedi Order and its future, I played oblivious and watched the droid do its work. While I was indeed a Padawan to Armiena, I still felt it was not my place to have any voice to their conversation, leaving it to my Elders so to speak. Besides, whatever happened was surely meant, and I would be but a leaf upon it's current, my trust in them completely. Shifting a smile toward the two briefly, I returned to watching the droid continue connecting the nerves of Armiena's modification.

"I understand Master." Mjan replied, his gaze shifting downward in thought. Her words made sense. This was indeed war, especially for Mjan, as his singular choice to become a Jedi as a member of the Tsis had been but the first stepping block toward it both within himself and those who, if any, chose to come after him. And in war, no matter how hard one tried, loss of life could not be deterred, even in those you chose to save. It was pure luck of the draw, fate and destiny, convergence, however you sought to look at it. But either way, it always led to the same singular point; you could not save everyone. A smile returned to his face and Mjan turned his gaze back to Aira. "I thank you for your words of wisdom and guidance."

"As for the code, it was actually a stimulating read and I could understand most of the complexity, yet simplistic wording of its mantras by comparing it to my own experiences." Mjan spoke, the young Tsis geeking out for a moment in sudden outburst of interest. "In the first, I understood the reason behind casting aside emotion and focusing more on inner peace as it settles not only the mind, but the spirit as well. And knowledge is a fundamental building block for the Jedi Order, especially in a Padawan such as myself. It's the only way one grows. As for passion and serenity, I had to look toward my display back at Felucia to understand its concept. While passion in something could be a good thing..." Mjan tilted his head in slight embarrassment, "It can also become a bad thing if one let's it consume them. This why one must attach a serene mind to calm it."

"However..." Mjan sighs deeply remembering that he failed to truly grasp the other two mantra meanings. He felt the first was meant for a Youngling, as it felt closely related to opening one's self up to the Force. And he felt the second was meant to teach that everything in life was a lesson to learn, a guiding principle for the Younglings to follow as they began their life as a Jedi and well into it. As for the third, he felt it was more pointed toward Padawans such as him, meant to remind them of their purpose as Jedi and deter them from disappointments. But the last two he could not fully comprehend. This is why he wished to speak to Aira on the subject. "I had trouble understanding the last two of the Jedi Code's Mantras. Chaos and Harmony, Death and the Force. Perhaps it's because I have no experience with them, or haven't came far enough to grasp at an understanding." His gaze shifted back toward Aira once more, just as the lift arrived. "What are your takes on the Jedi Code and its Mantras, especially the last two?"

Draygo paused before speaking again. She turned to the side and fixed a unattending gaze on her right wrist, seeming to watch the medical droid as it began to test the digits of the prosthetic hand. Without consciously giving the command, the veteran Jedi felt the bronze-and-steel lift, ball into a loose fist, and the wrist to idly stretch along its full range of motion. It was a peculiar feeling, feeling her hand move and flex without conscious effort and for her limb to be under the control of software commands, but it also teased at intriguing ideas that Armiena forced herself to dismiss.

Armiena had borne the title of Jedi Grandmaster nearly a decade ago, but returning to that office simply was not a possibility--not even in the current emergency. It wasn’t that Armiena was ashamed of her record in leading the Jedi. She had fought the Sith and the Empire almost to a standstill, but the cost to the galaxy had been catastrophic. An inestimable number of lives had been lost over many campaigns, including billions on a horrific attack on Coruscant by a butcher who should have never been allowed near the reins of command. It had taken the sight of watching a crippled Super Star Destroyer plunging like a spear into Coruscant’s cityscape to awaken her conscience to the blood-price of her war. Armiena would have set the galaxy ablaze and still thought herself in the right.

Perhaps Alluyen thought that she was somewhat shy. The younger woman could think whatever she pleased, but the galaxy needed a Jedi at the head of the Order, not a Rebellion-trained killer--not even one as efficient as her.

The veteran Jedi returned her gaze to the younger Jedi, her pale green eyes searching Alluyen’s expression. Alluyen was young, but if the Jedi Knight had encountered Geki and survived, there had to be some mental scarring that was belied by her youthful appearance. Draygo didn’t know any of the other Jedi on Borleias, had never even met Master Vos, and only knew of Cadan by reputation. As critical as the latter’s relationship with the Empress might be to regaining control of the crisis, the veteran Jedi had no idea if Cadan had any ambition to lead the Jedi. In the current emergency, rank mattered less than the will to assume command and give coherent leadership.

“When I was in Rebellion, we were taught that if we were ever separated from our unit and the chain of command wasn’t clear, we were to assume command and continue our mission until it was completed or we managed to link up with another unit. It didn’t matter who you linked up with; you got the job done.” Her eyes flickered between Alluyen’s. “From what I’ve observed, you seem to be making an excellent effort at filling the role yourself.”

drayyy.png

Adenna took a physical step back in surprise at the notion that she could lead the Jedi. At first, she was wondering if Master Draygo was teasing or testing her, but when there was no laugh from the senior Master, she began to realize that the suggestion was not a jest. Her eyes darted back and forth rapidly as she processed the absurdity of that and quickly shook her head. "I-I have led operations and soldiers before, but nothing like the Jedi Order. I fought against slavers and criminals, not the Sith Empire. There have to be Jedi who are more qualified than I am, I am not even a Master, I don't think anyone would recognize someone like me as being any leader of the Jedi."

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, she did begin to realize that, in some small way, those statements didn't exactly hold up too much weight. Even as a freshly minted Knight, there were others who were willing to follow her to attack the Sith Temple on Coruscant. Before that, as a Padawan, she stirred a combined arms force to liberate her home of Thalassia. And there were some now answering her general call to take action in the current situation. Still, it was a far cry from working together to stand against the Darkness and recognizing her as the Grandmaster, especially as a mere Knight.

It just belied logic to her brain, and shocked her to the core. In moving the Jedi fleet to Borleias, she had been simply setting up the stage to take action while she found someone with sufficient authority to take charge. The fact that there didn't seem to be anyone left to take charge was a heavy blow to her, but to think that she could be the one that she was looking for was crazy. She understood the truth of what Master Draygo was saying about stepping up, but she simply wasn't sure that she could ever simply assume a title as sacred as the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order.

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

Armiena couldn’t help herself and thought back to when she had accepted the responsibilities of the Grandmaster more than a decade ago. There hadn’t been much ceremony to her ascendency either--only minutes prior to her nomination, she had rudely interrupted a brief meeting of several of the Order’s Masters to announce her betrothal to Aryian, and she had practically been tackled by Ara-Lai in her glee. That had been a happy day. Today, two Jedi and a Padawan were discussing the fate of the Jedi Order in an understaffed medical suite within the bowels of a Star Destroyer, and the veteran had practically foisted the office upon a Alluyen simply because the younger Jedi showed promise and the will to leadership. Shock was to be expected.

The testing of her prosthetic hand completed, her wrist was released and the 2-1B droid silently dismissed itself from the medical suite to attend to one of the hundreds of patients aboard the Sanare. Draygo stared at the younger Jedi over her fingertips, the tip of her chin resting upon one of the steel fingers. Cold and unyielding, it was utterly unlike flesh.

Her expression hardened and the Jedi Master regarded her younger peer with a steady gaze, giving the impression of an overgrown bird of prey. “But you… are here. You are moving. And you won’t be alone. The galaxy needs a quick response to the Sith and someone who has the will to effect this response. Do you deny that you are already coordinating a counter?”

drayyy.png

The Curich-class shuttle known as Heaven's Taint blasted out of hyperspace above the planet Borleias carrying a relatively small crew. Beck, two intelligence officers, and a full squad of Imperial Commandos were all that were present. The commandos present were not of his own training regime, but rather a new set. They all wore white armor with black boots and gauntlets that distinguished them from a normal trooper, along with their different helmet to protect them. Their leader, RG-126, a commando who was clad in modified black Dark Trooper phase III droid armor was a bit intimidating by an outward appearance standard. Beck kept the corner of his own eyes upon RG-126 as one of the intelligence officers offered up more details about the report that he was able to uncover.

"...-as of right now, that's all we've been able to pick up. We still don't have a trace on where or who she sent the message to."

Beck blinked his eyes hard as he now directly looked at the man with a face that spoke volumes. He wasn't happy that the information they received was basic at best. The officer was only able to shrug and offer up a look of apologetic face.

"Don't apologize. We are now the underdogs. It's just something we're all going to have to get used to." At that moment, the pilot spoke up informing them that they had made contact with the Jedi gathering requesting to land. "Take us down and offer up an apology to them on not contacting them about our arrival sooner. Let's try to maintain what our Empress valued here."

Beck then leaned back in his chair and let out a very loud sigh as he picked up the file on Zalis Krales and tried to study her and figure out what sort of trouble they could be up against...

emperorpilon.png

Admiral Antilles on board the MC-90 Adi-Wan was quickly notified of the Imperial Remnant shuttle that had come into the system and made contact. With an eyebrow arched in curiosity, he gave authorization for the ship to dock. He was interested in seeing what the Imperials were here for and what news they brought of the Remnant.

There was a definite tingle down her spine as Adenna heard Master Draygo's words. She didn't like the idea, especially since there was no consensus, and no mandate from the Order. She glanced briefly at the young man with Master Draygo, but knew that he wouldn't be offering any sort of way out. With a sigh, she admitted, "I am working on coordinating the response, but that doesn't mean I can lead the Jedi Order. Perhaps if more Jedi were reached and gathered to give their approval, but I am not sure that, even in the absence of the Council, anyone can truly just assume the mantle of Grandmaster." It was a delaying tactic, one that might give them time for someone more qualified to step forward. At the least, if more and more Jedi were to come to the same insane conclusion that Master Draygo had, then at least it may make a little more sense. "Until then, if you are not wanting to take command of those gathered here, I will do so."

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

"Sometimes as one gets older and wiser, one forgets the brash and energy of the youth, just as one in youth, forgets that with time, comes such wisdom. However, in rare occassions, there is wisdom in the brash energetic youth, where experience of the heart speaks a solemn truth." - Genesis Stormhelm

I had sat in silence the entire time of their discussions, watching attentively as the droid worked upon the prosthetic which adorned Armiena's nub, the mechanics behind the technology quite fascinating, even to myself. But I couldn't truly remain oblivious to their conversation, tried as I must. So as the droid made its departure, my gaze turned toward the two as they finished.

"Forgive the interruption Masters Armiena and Alluyen, but..." I spoke, the words pouring from my mouth before I even realized what I was doing or saying, my Master's own words speaking a truth that I myself had known for quite some time. "... Do not fear stepping up to lead others. My life as an orphan may have been a hard one, but if it taught me anything, it's that self doubt can literally get yourself or those you cherish killed."

I blushed slightly, my left eye gazing toward the floor in embarrassment after the realization that I had spoken out of turn. Yet, my words rang of truth, the memories of losing my parents as i froze in fear, the memories of the other vagabonds within the spaceport and the life we all fought to survive each day, all as fresh upon my memory as they were just days after the occurrence. And now, Coruscant, a other memory to add, even as the most powerful Jedi stood to save an entire world and came up lacking. If my life had taught me anything, it was this: "You will never be ready. No one ever is. But if you aren't willing to, then how can you expect someone else to?"

A wry smile touched my face at Mjan's confusion. "Well first off, let me just say that it's no surprise that you struggle with those last two tenets. Every Jedi struggles with them. Even older, more experienced ones." The lift hissed open and we stepped out, heading down the hall. "But I'll tell you what I've learned. There is no chaos, there is harmony. Obviously there is chaos in the galaxy, but there shouldn't be chaos in the heart of a Jedi Knight. He is always at peace, calm of mind, and sure of intent. We don't make rash decisions. It also refers to how we operate together. We work in harmony, as much as it depends on us, with everyone, and don't let things like personality differences get in the way. We also work to calm chaos. Note that it doesn't say there is no chaos, there is order. That is how some people apply this line of the code, and I personally think that's one of the issues at the heart of some of the disunity among the Jedi and Imperial Knights." I shrugged. "Not that I know too much about their ideology."

An officer saluted me as we passed, and I saluted back habitually, then continued to speak, slower this time. "As for the last line...death is a mystery, and it happens to everyone eventually. No living being is truly immortal. But this line of the Code speaks to the fact that the Force is beyond even the realm of death." I bit my lip, trying to explain. "This is the reason that among Jedi, we often refer to death as 'becoming one with the Force'. Jedi can merge their remaining life force with the Force at death, and so, at times, retain the ability to influence events. We often refer to them as 'Force ghosts'--spirits of the dead whom we can communicate with. Is it really the person's spirit or soul? No one can say for sure. And it seems as if, though every Jedi has the potential to do this, not many actually do." I thought for a moment about my old master Onderin Starlisk. If I could speak to him again, what words of wisdom would he be able to offer? His experience was sorely needed as the Jedi turned to war again. "Anyway," I shook myself, "this belief means that death doesn't have to be something we dread. Instead of being afraid, we can trust that we will still fulfill the Force's purpose, and that in turn frees us to take the risks we sometimes need to take to save others."

We finally arrived at our destination: the comm center. Here, signals were sent and received from halfway across the galaxy, with boosts powerful enough to cut through even low level subspace jamming in a pinch. I stepped up to the officer in charge. "I need to get in contact with Admiral Bruce Slaughter of the Galactic Alliance."

The man nodded. "Just a moment, I'll try and locate him."

Draygo’s pale eyes flickered towards her apprentice. She considered the age of the young man--it was possible that Genesis hadn’t been politically aware during her time as Grandmaster and didn’t quite appreciate the carnage that she had unleashed upon the galaxy. “Thank you, but this is for the best. I might be passable at leading soldiers into combat, but I’m a mediocre Jedi at best. I made some critical errors in judgment that got a lot of innocent people killed and I didn’t take it very well. Just point me in the direction that you need me, boss.

“We will need to summon a… ah…” Draygo searched for the words but found herself coming up short. “Summon the Jedi to Borleias. Share the news that Trevelian has stepped down, confirm your succession, and launch our counterattack. Some advice, if you don’t mind--when you are confirmed as Grandmaster, ask people that you trust implicitly to serve on the Council. You’ll need to be able to send them anywhere in the galaxy and simply expect that they’ll do what they think is best without any input.”

drayyy.png

Mjan stayed quietly in thought as they departed the lift and began their trek down the hallway, attentively listening to Aira's words as they walked. He was beginning to see the picture that was being painted before him, a portrait known as the Jedi Order and what it stood for. "I believe I'm beginning to see what you mean. We, as Jedi, are but scholars of the Force. Through finding inner peace within ourselves, understanding its knowledge with a serene mind and heart, it allows us to harmonize ourselves with its will and understand the nature of the Force." Mjan spoke just as they reached the comm center.

Following her lead, Mjan's boots clanked as he grasped the railing and took the few steps upward into the centralized room. His gaze shifted about for a few moments as he considered this discovery, whether it stood as truth or as a desperate grasp at an understanding by a Padawan. But to him, it seemed to fit. The Force was part of nature, neither light nor dark. But as with any nature, there was as much good as there was bad. Take Felucia for example. Beautiful, serene, and lush. But parts of the planet was dangerous, either by fauna or foliage, a balance of light and dark, life and death. Such was the Force, and subsequently, Jedi and Sith. While the Jedi seemed to rather follow it's natural course, the Sith seemed to want to dominate it. It was an interesting concept to say the least.

As they waited for the Communications Officer to make contact with the man Aira had mentioned, Mjan tugged at his Master's shoulder to gain her attention briefly. "Is it due to the Sith's tendency to dominate, that the Jedi have developed into protectorates, ensuring that a balance is maintained?"

I paused. "No, I wouldn't say that. Good question though. I guess I'm not really sure, but I would say that the Jedi would be protectors even if the Sith did not exist. For it's not just against the Sith that we fight. It's against injustice, cruelty, chaos, anger, strife. All kinds of evil, whether easily visible or more subtle."

The officer glanced up then. "Ma'am, I'm having trouble raising the admiral. His ship was at Coruscant, and subspace there is filled with tons of interlapping signals. Even our own internal systems bring no answer. The only thing I can tell you is that the fleet there has suffered a great number of losses. It's possible the admiral was one of them. The last sighting of his ship showed it in serious trouble."

The news made me ache to jump into a ship and race to the city-planet, but I knew by the time I got there, it would be too late to do any good. "Thank you, Lieutenant," I replied soberly. "Will you please alert me as soon as you have news?"

"Yes, ma'am," the man replied with a salute.

I nodded and motioned for Mjan to follow me out of the comm center. Every time I thought about Coruscant, my heart hurt. I couldn't help but play the mind-game of 'what if'--what if more Jedi had been able to get there on time? What if we had caught Faust before all of this was triggered? But I was an experienced enough officer to put those thoughts aside. A good officer thought through the what ifs to be better prepared for the future, not to dwell on the past.

I suddenly started, realizing I had lapsed into silence. "Sorry, Mjan. Well, we can't really do much until we hear from the admiral, so let's get your commission squared away, grab some lunch, and then we'll work on some more practical applications of the Force. Beyond just lifting marbles."

As Aira conversed with the Lieutenant, Mjan's face turned to a scorn look as he thought upon her words. Would the Jedi still be protectorates had the Sith never existed? Surely that would be left to the Governing Bodies that stood up for those under its rule. Or would power still corrupt, as he had seen with the Jedi that fell to the darkside in the history of his own people and became like Gods to the Tsis. It was a very confusing thought to be honest, and the what if aspect would only lead to more that held no precedence nor tangible thought as he himself was the very evidence that they existed. It was futile and pointless.

Noticing Master Aira's motion, Mjan nodded toward the Lieutenant and himself departed behind his Master, though he was beginning to notice as sense of panic... no, more like worryiment from his Master's presence. Rather, that he could tell as the walked along the corridor, the long silence that lingered until she spoke. He smiled despite the worrying look in her eyes, knowing that if she cared this much for all her comrades, then she was a fine Master indeed to undergo such a tutelage as he was. He was beginning to truly find himself home among her and her Orders.

"Dont fret Master Aira. I'm sure we will hear from him soon." I spoke with a smile, not only to clear her mind should any doubt be in place, but an odd feeling he held that let him know the Admiral still had a part to play in the upcoming battles. Just then his stomach growled. With a laugh, his red cheeks flushed even redder in embarrassment. "I guess my stomach agrees with you. We have only time to pass for the moment, and what better way to do so with a meal and some training to ready ourselves for what lays ahead."

"Alluyen, if it's all the same to you, we'll head to the planet surface. I'm not much use up here. Refugees to comfort, wounded to treat, apprentice to train. If you need anything, I have some old backchannels that might still be operational. Genesis?" Draygo's eyes flickered towards the portal of the medical suite. A set of brown robes and a pair of synthleather boots had just been delivered for her benefit--they would be a little bit large for her frame, but a few weeks of training would correct that miscalculation.

Clenching the straps of the boots between her teeth, Draygo led the half-Miraluka teenager out of the medical suite and back towards the hangar. The veteran Jedi had never served aboard a VicStar, but these old Imperial ships all had a standardized layout--she would have been able to find her way around even with her eyes closed. "'oo muff 'oo geh uhn. Go'a conack uhm ol' frehns..." On the way, Draygo clumsily changed into the robes, first wrapping herself into the brown garments against the brisk air of the hospital ship, then hopping one leg at a time into her trousers. "Gotta contact some old friends from the Rebellion days--some industry and diplomatic contacts that I owe about five favors to. Hopefully we can find a shuttle to the surface--ah."

As it so happened, several shuttles and freighters were departing from the hospital ship every minute, and Draygo's half-cinched robe was blasted open by the backwash of an old Corellian freighter's sublights mere seconds after the two Jedi arrived at the bustling hangar. The veteran Jedi pointed towards a Lambda-class shuttle that was being loaded for deployment to Borleias--an official Survivor's Foundation ship, with a white hull and red markings to designate it as a medical vessel. Hopping on one foot at a time in an attempt to don her boots amidst the organized chaos of the hangar, the two Jedi managed to squeeze onto the shuttle despite an overcrowding load of medical personnel and droids.

Sandwiched between an old Gonk battery droid and a surgical droid with an unnervingly insectoid appearance, Draygo called out into the overloaded shuttle for a comlink and one eventually was passed through the crowd in the shuttle's boarding ramp. She sighed as she contacted a frequency that was rarely used by the veteran Jedi--she would have preferred not making this call, but she needed to know about the fate of her ex-husband.

"Yeah, it's Draygo." Evidently, the cloning facility on Borleias had been expecting a communication from her for several days. “I wanted to ask if there was any sign that Aryian… was…” A long string of apologetic technobabble cut her off. Armiena didn’t understand a word of it; her specialties were in artificial intelligence and mechanics and she had no grasp of the finer details of transdimensional metacommunication and Force Ghost transcience. Nor did she want to. She preferred to pretend that this particular department of the Jedi Order didn’t exist, despite having paid visits to those sterile rooms on several occasions.

Armiena swallowed. Something warm fell from her face and she blinked rapidly. A few well-meaning words of comfort followed the thesis on the limitations of the communications system and the theories governing the flash-learning program used by the Jedi Order. Draygo cut it off. “Yes, thank you. I understand. I know how the system works. I… just keep me informed if anything changes? Thank you.”

She spent the remainder of the brief journey to the surface of Borleias in silence, her eyes closed and her thoughts kept to herself.

Upon feeling the shuttle rock forwards on its landing struts with their arrival to the refugee camp on the Juanthir Peninsula, Draygo managed to find an unoccupied tent where the two could remove themselves from the throngs of refugees searching for food, shelter, and loved ones. Situated in a rainforest clearing that had recently been clear-cut, the unconditioned air in the tent quickly became oppressively humid and she began to sweat profusely.

“Go ahead and take a seat on the ground. I need to find… something we can use.” Armiena rifled through the scarce belongings of the sapients who had previously occupied this tent for anything that could be damaged without inflicting further emotional turmoil. These sapients--a family of Twi’leks, she discovered from a holoframe--had obviously left Coruscant in a hurry, having no possessions aside from a pieces of old, elaborately-worked jewelry and a cheap, civilian-model datapad. There was, however, a plastoid mug of some dark liquid that had been abandoned. Armiena seized it with her right hand and gave it a cautious sip: insta-caf, prepared by the liter in the refugee camp’s mess tents. It was cold, however, and she cringed as she forced herself to swallow the vile beverage--but it was caffeinated. She downed the remainder without hesitation.

She sat cross-legged before her apprentice and placed the mug between them. “The Force is present in all object and living creatures, no matter how small or insignificant. To my knowledge, the Jedi Order has yet to find an exception to this rule--and we’ve tried. By sensing and manipulating the Force within objects or sapient beings, we can accomplish a number of highly useful techniques--telekinesis and some basic empathy, for one. And TK can be quite useful. With your mind alone, you can manipulate objects just out of reach, strip opponents of their weapons, or use the kinetic energy to generate heat. Mass and volume are irrelevant, but we’ll start with this coffee mug.” Draygo rolled her shoulders back and settled herself for a potentially long session of meditation.

“Begin by focusing your attention on the mug. Everything out there is irrelevant. Get a grasp of its presence in the Force, its dimensions, its texture, its temperature.” Or lack thereof, she had just discovered. “Once you’ve a sense of its presence, focus your thoughts and envision where you would move it… and make it so.”

drayyy.png

I nodded, showing that I appreciated Mjan's encouragement, but didn't comment further. We made our way to an office where Mjan could formalize his enlistment as a member of the Jedi fleet. It wasn't a long application, much different from my application process to the GA fleet when I was a padawan, but there was still a level of formality that I always thought had been a smart move by the Grandmaster when the fleet was formed. A fleet never worked well when people couldn't take orders, and that was traditionally one of the weaknesses of the Jedi, given that we were trained to operate independently. Once everything was squared away, Mjan officially became a lieutenant, and was assigned some kit should he desire to use or wear it.

"Let me just say," the officer helping us added as he stood and shook Mjan's hand, "that you're the first ethnic Sith to ever join this fleet, and I say it's a good omen. Congratulations, Lieutenant."

We then headed to the officer's mess for some lunch. I insisted on making it a celebration, so I kept the conversation light, and tried to introduce Mjan to as many other officers as I could, as well as just getting to know him better. Towards the end of the meal, I grabbed two slices of cake. "Do you like cake?"

--

Eventually, the two of us found ourselves in an empty workout/training room with high ceilings. "Alright, Mjan," I said, getting down to business. "So you've learned the basics of telekinesis. Those basics have a wide variety of applications. This afternoon I'd like to focus on applying those principles to your own body." Readying myself, I suddenly leapt straight up, using the Force as a springboard, until I grabbed some pipes in the unfinished ceiling. Then I dropped to the floor, landing as lightly as if I had simply stepped instead of fell twenty feet. I then threw myself into a backwards leap, twisting several times in the air and staying up just a hair too long to be normal. "One of the lightsaber combat forms, Form V, uses these applications frequently to allow quick movement on the battlefield and fast evasion of an enemy's attacks." I gestured to him. "Give it a try. You're only limited by your creativity."

"Sometimes, even the simplest of emotions can have an effect on one in ways we never thought, especially in a Jedi. Jedi are taught there are no emotions, that there is only peace. Yet, to find that peace, sometimes one must face said emotions." - Genesis Stormhelm

I had sat in silence for far too long as I looked toward the elder Jedi before me for guidence, watching and listening to their wisdom and truths. A wise man back home once said that you will learn more by listening to your elders than you will by following those of your own, a lesson that had become a part of my tradition as even on Dantooine I barely knew a friend within ten years of my own age. Hearing Armiena call my name, my gaze shifted toward her and I rose from my seat as I followed her out.

Part of me chuckled as we made our way through the many turns and stretches of halls, my eyes averted as she threw on the 'larger than her' robes despite the undergarments she already had on from her time in the bacta tank. Her stature and etiquette had always came off almost militarized, yet, to notice the looseness of the robes upon was kind of humorous. Still, her words came across commanding as per her usual and such things only sealed the hilarity of it. Little did I know the serious tone that would soon follow however.

Excitement grew in me as we boarded the shuttle that was due for deployment toward the planet below, the thought of fresh air and a new experience gleaming upon my thoughts of the horizon, and my face with lit despite the crowded posture I now sat in. It was a tight fit to say the least, yet, I was lost in the ever coming adventure to even notice. At least, until I heard my Armiena speak over the binary and electronic vocals. It was then that both of our moods shifted, leaving behind the optimism and cheer for the moment. I couldn't make out what she was saying, nor what she was being told. Yet, I knew the look that sat upon her face, a look I knew all too well as I had held it many times over my shortly lived life. It was the loss of a cherished one. I almost stood to try and reach out to her, but as she closed her eyes and herself off, adding to the lack of room to move, I decided that it was best to stay put. It wouldnt be long before we reach the planet anyways.

Stepping upon Borleias for the first time temporarily brought that childish smile back to my face as the mud squished beneath my feet and I inhaled deeply, taking in all the new smells I could handle and gazing outward in every direction as my eye shifted about. Noticing Armiena walking ahead, i quickly followed, trudging through the clearing's muck as if i had walked it all my life and enjoying myself as much as i could even though i kept an eye upon my Master. As she darted into a nearby tent, i followed her in, taking in the humid air and the sights I saw as Armiena rummaged through their belonging. Sitting cross legged upon the moist wet soil, I took note of the holograms, thinking back to Coruscant and all that families such as this one had lost, the horrors that I saw, the helplessness I felt, just as I did now as I watched Armiena struggle with her own loss despite her attempt to remain unaffected and pushing herself into my training.

"As you wish Master." My tone hinting at my sorrow for her and my inability to comphrehend or do for her, yet, echoing of a mutual understanding as my gaze stared back at her own. "But go outside, take a moment, breathe. And then grieve." It was all I could do or say, a lesson that I had once learned. If you bottle it up, it's only a matter of time before it explodes, and as a Jedi, it gathers us too close to the darkness that pulls at us.

As Aira and Mjan entered the enlisting area, Mjan noticed a slight startle coming from one of the Officers. It wasn't a very noticable one, simple tremble of the hands and gaping eyes settling upon Mjan as he stood there. But it soon flowed away with the passing breeze as Aira handed Mjan the formal paperwork to fill out as the Officer's disbelievement finally settled. Mjan simply looked at the man and smiled as he sat down and began filling out the necessary forms. Most of it was mundane questions, such as place of birth, name, birth date, next of kin, etc. But some of it perplexed the Tsis, such as a rudimentary questionnaire asking the simplest of scenarios, and Mjan answered as honest and as best to his ability before he stood up and handed Aira the forms. After a few initials here and there with a couple of signatures required and fingerprinting done, it was filed away and Mjan was given his kit. In truth, as mundane as it was for most, the excitement in the air around Mjan was almost electrifying in density.

"Thank you 'sir." Mjan spoke as he returned the handshake and turned his smiling face toward the kit where he withdrew a set of tags from within, embedded with his name date of birth, rank, and ID number. Grasping them in his hand, one could almost swear there were tears in his eyes and he placed them around his neck in proud display. Turning back to the man, Mjan could only utter. "I can only hope I prove to be such."

As his gaze caught Aira, the two departed with her at the lead, Mjan still grasping the kit before he tucked it away under his left arm and followed her down the halls. Once they arrived at the Mess Hall, the atmosphere only grew more luxurious. Aira dragged Mjan about the hall, introducing him as many of his fellow Officers as she could, most having already heard of the Tsis recruit through the grapevine originating at the enlistment office and most of the ship having grown abuzz of having a Sith among their ranks. Mjan had never known such acceptance, and in those moments, he felt like he had finally found his place as he answered questions about his race, why he wasn't as dark as his brethren, and most importantly, where he saw his future among them. Though hard questions, he answered them as best he could with likely the biggest grin he had ever shown. Truly he was welcomed completely. There was even one Officer who tried to steal him from Aira's Apprenticeship, but Mjan politely decline.

"Never have had the luxury, I'm afraid." Mjan replied to Aira as the scene began to finally die down and Mjan took the last few bites of the stew. Truly, Mjan was happy. And it was evident as he drove his fork into the piece of cake she slide his way. Through the mouthful of cake he tasted, only a few words were audible. "Oh my..... this....delicious."

After a little while longer within the cafeteria, Mjan and Aira were finally able to escape, the joyous sounds still lingering in the background as Mjan laughed and followed his Master once again. His belly full, his cheeks hurting from the laughter and smiling he had done for the last hour or so, he found himself content with his decision. He had truly made the right choice and he found himself absorbing the reality of it as Aira led him to a training room. As he listened and watched, his confidence bolstered by the previous encounter of the mess hall, he wasted no time attempting.

Mjan closed his eyes but for a moment, remembering the training from before and how well the Force flowed through him and around him, and in doing so, turned the focus inward. He could feel its flow through his veins, his muscles, his thoughts, and it became him. Opening his eyes, Mjan looked up and took a leap just as Aira did. It was an amazing feeling. It felt almost too good to be true, the whole day did actually. And as Mjan attempted to replicate Aira's actions, his felt that the ease of going up was not so well mimicked coming down and tumbled into a roll as the tips of his feet landed upon the flooring.

I grinned. "You're a fast learner. Now, as I said, the use of something like this is mostly up to your imagination--the principles are generally the same. You can jump, slow your fall, flip. But you can also push air molecules away from yourself and so run faster than any normal being can."

I didn't demonstrate, figuring he could understand without it. "Try a couple things. Get the hang of it."

As he did so, I crossed the room and picked up two long and light bamboo rods. Our next task would be one I guessed he'd take to equally as well.

Draygo just stared at her apprentice. There was a raw intensity behind her eyes that would have made a Jedi shiver, or a Sith to question the wisdom of having inflicted such a wound on a former Grandmaster. “Genesis…” The older Jedi began, but failed to find words appropriate for the moment. She needed to step out. It was too warm in that tent, the humidity of the forest’s edge too stifling. She crouched under the tent’s flap and disappeared into the rows of the refugee camp.

The refugee camp, a conglomeration of hastily erected tents and prefabricated shelters, was an exercise in organized chaos. The tents were arranged into tidy, efficiently-ordered columns to allow speedy passage of groundspeeders and heavy lifters--there was even signage to guide refugees to medical facilities, commisaries, and to stations where they could inquire about the fate of their loved ones, but the camp was already in danger of exceeding its intended capacity. As she made her way through the camp, Armiena was buffeted by crowds of refugees. She lifted her hood over her face, but concealing her identity as a Jedi was an impossibility thanks to the lightsabers on her waist. She was forced to occasionally turn her face and evade down one of the tidy rows of cream-colored tents to avoid the eyes of any refugee who grew curious of her presence.

Obeying the whims of some cursed compulsion, the veteran Jedi darted towards the sides of one of the innumerable tents when a starship with twin ion engines shrieked above. When the scream of the engines passed, the brown-clad Jedi withdrew from the shelter of the low wall and glanced upwards, an unspoken curse on her lips.

Armiena surveyed the ships transiting towards the camp through the mist of of the tropical clearing. The familiar, dagger-like hull of a Victory-class Star Destroyer hung many kilometers above the planet, for once a reassuring sight. A stream of freighters and shuttles rushed between the Star Destroyer and the planet in a constant ferry of supplies and patients. The smaller vessels, mostly small-crew shuttles and atmosphere-bound airspeeders, were congregating towards a point a few kilometers away, just shy of the edge of the refugee camp. Red and blue spotlights flickered on their hulls, demarking them as emergency medical vehicles. That was where the camp’s hospital would be located.

She felt a pang of loneliness when she realized that she had no idea where Master Organa was currently operating. Draygo was perfectly aware of her deficiencies as a healer but had personally experienced Skye’s abilities on numerous occasions. An emergency of this scale required the services of the Master Healer. Unfortunately, all that was available was a neophyte Padawan, a mediocre healer, and the few Jedi that the Dojo could spare.

Draygo would have given multiple limbs to have her present. Or Darex, for that matter. Or even just information on where her mother or Aidan were located. She had never felt so alone.

Armiena lowered her face. There was no time for this, she told herself. Fretting and grieving had to wait for a time when hours weren’t worth millions of lives.

But the tears came nonetheless. Her shoulders shaking with with silent sobs, the dam broke and she covered her face with her hands. As she quietly cried, Armiena gradually became aware of an alert presence focusing its attention on her and approaching. He could barely hear his voice over the murmur of the camp’s throngs, a clipped Corellian accent that kept repeating the same words. She knew that voice, had spoken to the man only a week ago.

“Hello, caf? Caf? Draygo--you look like you could use a caf.”

She glanced up, the strain of the last two days evident in the falling tears from her eyes. The man was bald, middle-aged, almost pudgy--though the man was too broadly built for the weight to be the fault of sloth. Even the dust that had been purposefully smudged over his lined face and the filthy crimson tunic couldn’t completely disguise the purpose in his posture and the presence of military training that a practiced eye could discern. This Corellian was one of her mother’s spies. More importantly, he bore two steaming mugs of caf, one of which had spilled over the cuff of the dusty tunic.

“Hey, Mister Hamis.”

Even if her mother’s organization couldn’t take direct action, it could provide information--or at least, a friendly shoulder that shared the same grief.

drayyy.png

As Aira motioned away across the room, Mjan focused upon her words. It was a concept he had thought upon many times before, the application of the Force upon the body and through it, finding the ability to strengthen one's form and hasten their movements. But never did he truly think it was in the realm of possibilities. Thos revelation was quite a fascinating thought. Trying again, Mjan sprung upward toward the beams above him.

The first few times were similar as before as Mjan attempted to grasp at Aira's words in thought. But each time he either fell flat upon his face and temporarily knocking the wind from his lungs, or he managed to catch himself briefly, and falling into a roll rather than flat upon the floor. Yet, unbeknownst to him at the time, his continuation only strengthened his connection, and each time he grew better and better at landing, even growing faster and stronger in his movements.

Growing tired in his exercises, sweat dripping from his brow and stinging his eyes, Mjan lept one last time. As he did, a drop of sweat flew into both of his eyes, momentarily blinding him as he let go of the beam without thought save for wiping his eyes. Before he made the realization the he once again stood solidly upon the floor below him, the Force reacted naturally upon his will and slowed his descent as if he simply stepped down a singular step of a staircase.

Realizing what had transpired, his gaze shifted toward Aira and what she held, her words etched upon his mind and the realization that through persistence and allowing its will to flow through him, that her words rang more truth than he even had realized. And if she planned to do what he now suspected, he would soon find out even more possibilities. At this thought, Mjan simply grinned.