Ossus

Tarrian Skywalker

Vos pursed his lips, he was caught at an impass. What to do...

On one hand, he was second guessing the newly appointed Grandmaster. On the other hand, his friend had accused the Grandmaster of trying to kill him. Bringing up his left hand, his fingers rubbed against one another. Closing his eyes for a moment he examined the scene. Kirlocca called it correctly, Vos did want to use his psychometry. The wookiee also was treating this as a personal insult against him, and perhaps that point did come across incorrectly. As the Force spoke to him, he opened his eyes and followed to where the wookiee was pointing. Several seconds went by as his eyes examined the scene. With a touch of reluctance, he chose to believe the Jedi Master.

Taking a deep breath in- he refocused on Sandy. "Sandy, I was going to ask you for your own assessment of the situation, but I am going to put my faith and trust to our Grandmaster, now. I overstepped my boundaries here. My past taught me to make sure of things for myself, but now... I will listen to everything around us, and cross it with how Dahar was a while ago. There is no malice on Kirlocca's part, and the Force wants me to trust him. So, I will. The lesson that I am learning right now is- trust in those who are worthy of your trust- including the Force. Listen to your past- but when a situation like this comes about you must take a step back, and view the situation fully. Know when you are at error, and apologize if need be. It is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of respect and understanding."

Turning his head to Kirlocca- "I apologize, Master Kirlocca. As you heard, my past influences my habits and decisions sometimes. And when Dahar accused you of attempting to murder him- well, you understand my reservation- I have always been an outsider. It seems as though this is a giant rogue wave coming over the Era of Grandmaster Dahar, and pieces have to be put back into place. I think for myself, I will not follow anyone blindly. I meant no offence."

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Vos let out a sigh. The Jedi calming routine going through his mind again. He looked back up to Kirlocca- "Dahar never took me as an apprentice. Much of what I learned was from Adenna and Sandy, here. Dahar, actually, tried to kill me upon me meeting him for the first time. Xae actually protected me from the attack, hehe. Dahar and I have had a... interesting friendship, and I morn his decisions and actions to a point." Vos motioned for the group to walk again, letting Kirlocca lead and walking to the wookiees side, his eyes looked over to the room where the two had their discussion, and then back to the wookiee and the hallway- putting the room out of his mind for the moment.

"The last time I met someone out of the blue on Gala, they tried to kill me outright- Dahar, actually. I have come back recently, and was still exploring the limits to this physical body." He held out his left hand, turning it over and examining it. The creases of his skin, the way his muscles moved in his hand as well as the tendons. "I held no weapon, and my limits had just been tested against the monolith. In close proximity, you would have easily overpowered me and if you wished it- killed me. Not saying you would have, it's just... as I mentioned how I met Dahar..." Vos chuckled a bit and his lips cracked into a smile. Vos held no anger towards that memory, and if his face was any hint- his force signature would ripple along with the sentiment. Suggesting Vos found that whole situation humorous.

"I cannot be taken away, not before my work is done. As the Jedi are directly affected by my actions, and the Order is bolstered by what ground work I have already started- you are the Grandmaster, and I will answer your questions if you would like to get started."

A subpoena arrives for the Jedi Grandmaster and the Jedi Council summoning them before the Galactic Senate for the official Inquiry into the Suitability of Aira Cadan for Galactic Representative. A Second Subpoena arrived for the Jedi Grandmaster requesting his presence for a joint session on Jedi Actions on Carida.

godfrey.png.1b7b62c09ee5dd5a9bb076a769485c63.png

Rebel Alliance Fleet Command - Godfrey d'Outremer

A comlink message arrives for the Grandmaster

The holograph shows a kneeling girl, face scarred, dressed in robes and battle-armour. Her words were grim, and carried a resiliency within them.

...Grandmaster Kirlocca… Exorcist Eleison reporting on Cardia. I was detailed by former Grandmaster to assist the Imperial Remnant in their securing of the Cardian sector from Sith Influences…

The voice paused, and the girl’s shoulders set before she rose

Their temple, Königreich des Teufels is no more. It has been purified by holy fire.

The screen flashes to personal footage from the battle, flipping between the HUD vision of several stormtroopers fighting Sith. A duel between a Togorian Sith and the girl, then the defeat of the Sith Wyrm.

Grandmaster, I encountered there a dark fugitive… A great Sith, who carried with him the sigil of a white spider, weaving into the darkness. Infernal was his flame, and a great threat I fear… Our enemy has revealed himself.

kyrie.png.529a6b96a133828163a998c9b43e5d11.png

A brief holocomm arrives for the Grandmaster from an unknown point in space.

12.jpg

The lions sing and the hills take flight.

The moon by day, and the sun by night.

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Ha ha ha ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

O how wretched is that poor man that hangs on princes favors! There is betwixt that smile we would aspire to, that sweet aspect of princes, and their ruin, more pangs and fears than wars or women have, and when he falls, he falls like Lucifer, never to hope again.

-William Shakespeare

Kirlocca was calm and steady as he listened to Tobias speak. The Jedi who stood before him showed a great deal of wisdom, which was far comforting to the Wookiee. Almost as soon as he finished, Kirlocca's comm buzzed with messages. One important one he would want to hear, and two ones he could make as spam. One of them would make him rather listen to a Gungan do poetry, so that one might just get deleted all together. Not letting those messages become a distraction for the moment, Kirlocca stepped forward and spoke.

<< You carry great wisdom Tobias. That is something that I have foreseen in you. Dahar was right to make you a Jedi Master and place you within his council. But I am no fool. Dahar gave you a task, one that I am sure links you to the name Lord Paragin. Many things Dahar did while Grandmaster was done so in the wrong way or wrong time. I know he gave you an assignment, one that many Jedi will frown upon. In fact, >>

Kirlocca held up the data pad the Dahar gave him, and one that Tobias may or may not recognize.

<< If I was to open this, I am sure I will discover a great many secrets and details of your mission that he gave you... >>

Kirlocca suddenly crushed the data pad within his paw and let the pieces of it fall to the ground.

<< I don't want to know. Such knowledge can not be held within the same image of the Jedi Order. It would taint an already tainted image. And that is why I have already come to my decision upon the matter...>>

Kirlocca took a step forward to stand side by side with Tobias.

<< ... You are to carry out Dahar's mission that he gave you. >>

Kirlocca let the words sink in. He was sure that even Sandy would feel a little bit of shock of what she just heard.

<< To make this very clear to you, Tobias Vos is recognized from this point on as a Jedi Master and on the Jedi Council. But Lord Paragin is not. But Paragin must continue to carry out the orders he was given, without the support and knowledge of the Jedi. You may use whatever resources you need, and have any Jedi follow you if they so choose to do so. But the actions taken by Lord Paragin will be hostile in the eyes of the Jedi Council. >>

Kirlocca now turned and looked Tobias Vos straight in the eyes.

<< You will be a Jedi Shadow. Operating in the dark, ding what must be done without bringing your actions to light.... I know that I am asking a lot of you, so I won't make you carry through on this if you feel like you can't... >>

Kirlocca paused and waited for Tobias to respond. But as he waited, he quickly deleted the message from the Senate, as that was utter nonsense.

Vos watched as Kirlocca crushed Dahar’s datapad. One that he personally modified and had given to the former Grandmaster to communicate with each other- but what Dahar did on top of that- grandmasterly doings and all that, Vos was unaware. Irritation that one of his creations was destroyed so outright- a perfectly good datapad, gone! But so be it, trivial, time to move along.

“While that datapad was one of mine, Dahar had no real time with it and I would gather it held no such secrets- damning the Order. It would have possibly polished the dark spots out, shedding light on certain situations. And, one of my personally modified functioning pads. ” Gritting his teeth on that last bit- he worked hard to modify it for performance enhancements. Brushing off that fact, he reached out- the fragments of the datapad drifted through the air towards him- collecting them into a small bag into his satchel. He would find out what had happened Between Tython and here. He looked to Kirlocca, a look of ‘I know you know what I am going to do with these.’ Displayed on his face.

But, he was now to carry out Dahar’s mission. Still. Fan-freaking-tastic. Throw out a vague statement, and cover it with secrets, as if a spiders web. Pull a string- and the whole web is affected. They had destroyed half the web- but Kirlocca just told Vos to rebuilt it- and see what happens. To make matters worse- Kirlocca just denounced the actions of his Peregrine Agents. That hurt. The agents he had- Tut, Tom, Sarah, as well as the others around- most of them put their faith and trust into Tobias, but now their actions were going to be denounced from the Order as whole. He would make it known to them- his agents- that if they did not want to become an outsider to the Order, he would let them go back. Vos kept his mouth shut at the rest, silently cycling it through his head. ‘I am a Jedi.’ The thought felt like he drank spoiled milk. He was to operate in secret, once again. But at this point, he was left to his own devices- no oversight it seemed. He was still getting used to the idea, it was never his intention, but so be it- this was his path...

A look of Nodus Tollens was visible on the Kiffar’s face- and felt through the Force. Was he to go through life forever with being swept into the shadows? His thoughts were being scattered to the winds- as well as his short-term purpose. This wasn't what he pictured when he came back, and he was starting to feel- lost. It was maddening, and depressing all at the same time. He was forced into a situation and his role kept getting turned over and over.Altschmerz touching his mind- a realization of what was- and what is. If he was sentenced to the shadows- so be it. He would not make Sandy follow him to the metaphorical darkness. Was he doomed to shadows forever? Was that best?

Letting his gaze drift upwards to the ceiling and then back down, Kirlocca gave Tobias an exit- if he wished. Letting the wookiee get close- an achievement that would have been impossible in their previous encounters- was a sign that Tobias was now confident- not overly- and comfortable within the Order, even though he felt as though he were an outsider. Quite possibly, forever feeling such a way.

Tobias opened his mouth to speak- closed it- opened it again- “Do you really not want to know what I am doing? Do you really not want to know the role I’ve played? You want me to continue to augment the Jedi Order with my actions- and not wanting to know what they were to achieve?!” The questions were all rhetorical- his voice was steady- but passionate.

“Do you even know who I am? What I can do? And you’re just going to give me free range to do as I please? Kirlocca, I must object. Without Adenna to guide me, I am quite… lost. I have tasks to be completed- but to what end? By what means can I accomplish those tasks? What if I order my people to do something- but come to find out another part of the Order wishes something different… or opposition to my agents? I have certain… obligations that might seem counter-intuitive to the Order’s goal. Again, more rhetorical questions. He made a hand gesture as if he was waving off all those questions with frustration. He was a whirlwind of emotions, but they were all under control- and nothing permanently striking to his signature.

Resigning with a groan- he put his gloves on- and pulled out a datapad- forcing it on Kirlocca. ”Now, to be intimately clear here- and Sandy as witness- This datapad shows how my actions have augmented the Order- through asset acquisitions, communication and credit lines that are filtered through… *ahem* myself. There are speadsheets in there that show what the state of affairs was before I came up to the current day. A rags to riches story, to be sure. That information is public knowledge- well, Public Jedi knowledge. If you so choose to denounce the Peregrine Project without knowing what it was to accomplish-“ Vos shook his head back and forth. “- then, I will have to rearrange several projects. You would call attention to it that I do not wish- or need. Furthermore- I do not wish to see my people cut down by yours- or vice versa- over miscommunications.”

“But… I concede defeat on this. I hear, and obey the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order. I am Tobias Vos, Lord Peregrine, Darth Telvanni. I am a Seeker of Knowledge- ordained by the Noble Lord Sabatin, Overseer of the Western Front. Hand of the High Council of Seekers, a Student of the Force, and Warrior of the Jedi Order. I am an instrument of the Force. Former Hand of the Grandmaster Dahar, now appointed Jedi Shadow… and accept the burden you set for me.” The tone held an aura that it was an almost automatic response and acceptance of his supervisor’s orders, something he must have recited a hundred times. Most of that would be lost on Kirlocca's and Sandy's ears anyways. His head hung there for a moment, wishing he had some big animal to mount and fly away on. It was odd to hear his titles recited aloud. He could not- would not- disappoint Adenna, Dahar, Sabatin, and The High Council of Knowledge. “I will not speak of my plans to you for the grand plan, but there are pieces we should communicate to each other.” There was such resignation and defeat in the words. He would have to over-see himself and what was permissible- was his factory going to face backlash? Was Kirlocca really unknowing of anything on what Dahar had said for Vos to do? Dahar would laugh if he saw what was happening right now. Or lash out...

There were obvious meanings behind everything that Vos had said- layers to the words- but it seemed as though Kirlocca was about to dismiss him, and their conversation was closing to its end. Both had work to do- and not enough time to talk and be about their business.

“Dahar had asked me to attend to the Imperial Remnant subject- a meeting with the leader of their faction- Raven Zinthos? And see what they wanted and such. But judging from the reports from Carida, it seems we already have. I was going to head there next to help with relief efforts, if need be, and have that conversation. If you had already dealt with it, I won’t bother with a meeting, just assistance as they need. As well as a meeting with someone from the G.A. If you want me to shy away from the diplomatic duties, I will…?” Vos figured they were about done here anyways, but a few more last details needed to be settled.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no fear, there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness.

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force.

The words of his oath played over and over in his mind, to try to keep him on track.

Carida, Thalassi, then Corusant... if it all panned out. Tom was summoning him to Gala, but that would have to wait- or scrubbed all together. This path was starting to have the appearance of another Lord Hoth or a Raven-esque adventure blossoming around it.

Kirlocca watched as Tobias went through many emotions, and held a wide mixed faces to show the Jedi Grandmaster. He also expressed many words, most of which were lost on Kirlocca, as part of him choose to ignore most of what was said for good reasons. He had no intention of starting a war of words, or giving out confirmations to other Jedi. He needed to lead the Order in the best way that he could. For now, he knew that Tobias would be an excellent addition to the Jedi Council to provide a perspective that not many Jedi would see right away. He also knew that Tobias had a touch within him through the Force that spoke clearly of being someone who would get things done, no matter the costs. But there were some things that were said that Kirlocca wanted to dress quickly.

<< Tobias, that only reason such a project is denounced is because of the negative connotation it would have within the Jedi Order. Image is one thing that takes too long to repair. But such an understanding has not fully come to you yet, but it will. For now, let's focus on the present. We as a Council have a need to travel to Carida. But I also have a need to have someone to go the G.A. and address the growing storms. I know that Dashel will be on his way, but if you feel you need to be there as well. Carida will be a meeting. Raven Zinthos needs a formal response from me, and I plan to give her one. >>

Kirlocca was now fully unsure on how Tobias would respond. The Force was urging Kirlocca to meet with Raven, and he felt that was a priority, but he also knew that the rest of the galaxy might view the G.A. and the senate a priority for the Jedi Order to respond to. The Wookiee would leave politics for those that knew it best. He was always a warrior at heart.

"I will meditate on the role you're appointing me, and you make a good point on the image factor I have been making strides for the Order into a better view for the galaxy. For the good of the Order. But if I could make a suggestion- make no more mention of Lord Peregrine... just dismiss it as a rumor, or dismiss any talk of them. That would prevent other parts of the Order from pursuing the name and what it is connected to, while also allowing me to transition the project to..." Tobias let his head bob from left to right- eyes afixed as if searching the ceiling for the right words. "...mmmm...to other... less public, or known avenues. I will dispense with the name after everything has been switched over- no more than a month I think. If you can give me a month, I would appreciate it. And actually, now that I am thinking about it...I would like to travel to Carida as well, I need to discuss with Head of State Raven. There's more I would ask of you, but... time is of the essence I gather... Would you mind if we flew in convoy to Carida? If Sandy is all set, we can leave whenever."

His gaze was still out- and around the room- but he could still see the black figure- watching Tobias.

Sabatin? Slicer?

He kept his attention on the discussion with the Grandmaster, but kept the figure in the corner of his eyes.

Sandy looked up from her holopad with a grin. They were going to Carida? How fun! She sprang to her feet and grabbed her satchel. Looking to her master and back to the wookiee she indicated that she was ready to go whenever they wished to leave. Visiting imperials was not what she had really figured they would be doing on their first mission together, but she figured that it was a hell of a way to start off a fun time. She blinked her green eyes and awaited the masters.

senay.png.2f049a5f093fee4ce31600cce37c9cbb.png

Calix Meus Inebrians

Kirlocca gave both Sandy and Tobias a smile. It seemed to him that the two Jedi before him were in a position to handle many of the coming adventures that the Force was indeed moving them along on. It took Kirlocca a moment to think about exactly why he felt something in the Force stir, but then snapped out of his own soon to be out of control deep thoughts.

<< I think that you two should go on ahead of me. Head of State Raven Zinthos might need some extra support, and I want to make sure that she knows that Tobias is a Jedi Master on the Jedi Council. It will help serve the galaxy a great deal. >>

Silently, Vos inclined his head in acknowledgement. "Should you need us, I've left you our commlink encrypts, as well as other means to get ahold of us. We'll depart shortly. If you need supplies or any logistical support, here or elsewhere, let me know and I will procure what you need." Turning and walking back to the ship, he silently doubted the Grandmaster understood the scope of what Vos was given charge of. Either way, Vos was aiming to do right by them- the Jedi. Two Grandmasters have given him the title of Master, and Council Member- did was he, Tobias, giving himself the credit he deserved or earned? Best not to disappoint either of them, or the credit.

Pausing to look at the room Dahar and Kirlocca spoke in, he made sure to let his eyes linger over the empty room. His own intentions were to walk in there and examine it- but the Force was calling to him. By the time they got back to their ship a 3PO droid was at the ship waiting for them. While on the way back Vos did procure four training sabers from the cache here. The droid handed over the bag containing the hilts and scuttled down another hallway. "Sandy, if you are all set here, you can take us up when the ship is ready." Vos winked, he was letting her get quite a bit of piloting in, the combat piloting was fast approaching the top of his "To-Do" list to see how Sandy handled it.

Having been trained in the best flight sims while waiting for Adenna for those few years on Gala, Sandy flipped switches and went down the preflight check off list like an old freighter hand. When the repulsor lifts reached 98 percent of maximum altitude she ignited the subspace engines, and with a flourish the ship launched into the atmosphere. She ran thin fingers down the control panel for the hyperdrive and inputted the coordinates for the Old Imperial World of Carida. When they cleared the planet's massive gravity signature she pulled down the silver handle, the stars stretched into thin lines, and they were off to the mission.

The automated exit timer clicked audibly down from 48 standard minutes to when they would exit the first microjump where they would enter the flow in the Perlemian Trade Route, from there it was a quick stop for fuel over Dakshee when they entered the galactic disk of the Colonies region. She looked at the list of timers, from there it would be a 20 second microjump into the heart of the Empire. If they didn't hit any Imperial choke points or the hyperdrive mines used by pirates in the region, they would be on Imperial Soil within 3 hours. She sat back and watched the timer tick down with a smile.

senay.png.2f049a5f093fee4ce31600cce37c9cbb.png

Calix Meus Inebrians

The old ship rattled as it hurled through the swirling vortex that was hyperspace. "You know Zed it is kind of mesmerizing to look at" he said to the droid plugged into the control socket above him. The black and gold R2 series droid rocked back and forth on its struts, followed by several beeps and whistles. Zaine rolled his eyes and looked at the display screen next to his controls. "You know staring out the undimmed canopy has caused more than its fair share of beings to go insane. Well insaner in your case" scrolled across the tiny screen.

"Zed if I had wanted snippy comments I would have let the Trandoshans stay on" he quipped as he leaned back against his command chair. The droid beeped again just as the swirl of hyperspace gave way to elongated stars which then resumed their pinpoint status as the freighter dropped out of lightspeed. "We've arrived" scrolled across the display before the droid disconnected from the console. "Thank you Zed I can see that, I'll take her the rest of the way in" he said taking the two flight sticks in his hands. Pulling back slightly on them the roar of the three large ion engines filled the cabin as the sublight drives pushed them towards the planet hanging in the view port. He looked over at the letter his mum had left him several years ago. He's committed the thing to memory.

"My dearest Zaine, I know I wasn't there to finish your training and your father was pushing the mando side of it. If you ever fill like you want to know more about your legacy as a Halcyon or just want to finish what I started. I've encoded the coordinates of a place you can go with in Zed. Love your mother Keira-Ann and remember the force will be with you always".

He'd found the letter among her things about a year after her passing but Zed had refused to divulge the location until recently. He stated that Master Keira had placed a time lock on it. "Complete and total Sith spit". He had said at the time.

A proximity alarm brought him out of his reminiscing. He leaned for and flipped the switch silencing the alarm. "Attention Ossus control, this is Comm..." releasing the com button. “Ossus control this Zaine Halcyon-Ordo out of Ordo requesting permission to land" said trying to cover himself. "Probably not best to mention the mando side just yet" he chuckled to himself as he approached the planet.

"YZ775-7147 'The Knights Errant' you are cleared for landing please follow the established air traffic lanes" the air traffic computer sounded through the flight deck speakers. "Copy control maneuvering to corresponding lanes".

Switching from external coms to ship wide, "Zed make sure you secure the secondary cargo hold I don't want my armor being found just yet". Several high pitches beeps sounded through the ship. "Less back talk and more work you useless bucket of bolts". The droid didn't respond until it returned to the flight deck, "Both holds are secure, but kind of pointless since there is a Mando'ade fighter sitting on your modified hanger bay". “Don’t use your logic circuits I’m not in the mood to put out a fire, besides I could have easily bought that used” he chuckled as he hit the switch for the repulsors, and killed the ion engines.

The ship groaned as it sat down on the struts outside the space port. “Zed stay with the Errant until I call for you” Zaine said as he hit the button to lower the boarding ramp. “I’ll be back at sundown, to check on you and get the rest of my things” he said as he disembarked.

Staring up at the hourglass looking temple in the distance, “you can fill the life flowing through this place, the Ashla is very strong here” he mumbled as he began walking towards the looming temple.

19184204_10154634398086546_1816381258_n.png

"Nothing is true, everything is permissive or as my momma always said, 'there ain't a dark side or a light side only gray.

You are gonna find many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.'-Zane Halcyon-ordo on his view of the force.

Glistening in the light of the system's star, the sleek Ferro Re materialized out of hyperspace above Ossus like a silverfish darting out of reach of a predator through the deepest of crystalline Mon Cal waters. Aboard, the distinct presences of both Force-users on board were evident, like a beacon projected to the planet below.

The journey from Corellia had not been long, made to pass all the more quickly by virtue of the fact that Tirzah had seemed to find her tongue again. Newly equipped with a confidence she had not possessed when they departed for the Unknown Regions, the girl peppered her mother with questions about Jedi and Sith philosophy that up until recently, Jaina had considered frankly beyond her comprehension. Now, Tirzah presumably sleeping in her bunk, Jaina sat alone on the bridge, musing, semi-meditatively wandering through the Force in search of answers she felt she did not have.

Well, almost alone. The Ferro Re was only one of three possessions Jaina had temporarily inherited due to their master's currently incapacitated state. Atlas, Tares' sassy assistant droid, hovered nearby, humming to herself as she moved from one station to the next. It was an annoyance, but at some level, Jaina felt a spark of guilt for Atlas' current predicament, so she refrained from deactivating the droid.

Rolling rhythmically between her palms was the last item Jaina had pilfered from Tares' bedside before departing Corellia: the former Grey Master's lightsaber, as silver as his hair and his wit. After passing a few minutes studying the planet below, Jaina finally clipped the weathered saber to her belt on the left side, standing. "Atlas, go ahead and take us in," she said quietly. "At this point, I'm sure Master Kirlocca already knows I'm coming."

The droid's photoreceptor blinked. "I was not aware of any transmissions sent to the planet. Why did we leave Corellia? I have now missed, by my count, at least three board meetings."

With a snort and a half-grin, Jaina turned toward the hallway. "I'm sure they'll have tasked some other less capable droid with keeping the minutes. Consider yourself off the hook."

"I am off the hook," Atlas replied flatly. "Would you prefer I plug in to recharge?"

Shaking her head, Jaina called over her shoulder, "No, thank you Atlas. I'm going to go wake Tirzah, then you can optimize the ship while I'm gone and power down then."

The droid's protests about how she had already spent the better part of a week optimizing the ship's processes were silenced as the door hissed shut.

As she arrived just outside Tirzah's quarters, the door slid open to reveal the twelve-year-old, who had pulled her loose ringlets into a leather band high on the crown of her head, dressed in the traditional robes of the Jedi once more.

"You look ready," Jaina said with a smile that portrayed an unspoken question. Tirzah answered it nonetheless.

"I thought it made sense," she shrugged, looking as though she wanted to sink through the floor plating rather than have to discuss her choice of attire.

"It does," her mother responded with unconcerned nonchalance, but she couldn't keep the tug of a smile off of her face as the two of them made their way to the boarding ramp.

They did not have to go far to find the one Jaina had come to see, however, who stood on the platform as though he had been waiting there all along.

"Is that..." Tirzah whispered from behind Jaina, as the latter strode forward to stop a meter away from the Wookiee.

"Master Kirlocca," she said, offering a deep and respectful bow, for the first time in decades' worth of memory saying what she thought she could never again bring herself to say to a Jedi Grandmaster. Strangely, however, a weight seemed to lift off of her shoulders as the words spilled out. "I am at the disposal of the Jedi Order."

53bzzl2.png

...why are the pretty ones always the most hazardous to your health?

May the Forth therve you well...

Kirlocca watched as Tobias and Sandy leave. Even as they did, he could feel the ripple in the Force behind them, and it spoke heavily of the greatness that would follow those two. Dahar was right to befriend Tobias, and Kirlocca felt some regret in not jumping on that ship sooner. But alas, his choices were made, and now he had to keep moving forward. There was no use or value to living in the past. So now, the Wookiee walked rather slowly to the landing platforms at the will of the Force, allowing for it to speak to him ever so quietly. As he walked, he saw some many visions within the Force that spoke to him of things moving on the horizon. When the last one finished, he found himself standing before an all too familiar ship as he watched Jaina walk down the landing ramp. He couldn't help but give her a smile as she bowed and spoke words that he never thought he'd hear from her own mouth...

<< Jaina... While I am grateful for your words and it's something that I felt coming, yet I still must ask this question... Are you sure? >>

This was her way out. If she were going to take it, it was here, now, extended to her on the lilting Shyriiwook accent of the Jedi Master standing before her. She could be free of her long, tenuous, fractured relationship with the Jedi Order. But a sidelong glance at her wide-eyed daughter reinforced within Jaina the example she knew she must set.

There was more to the Force that the strictures and rules that the Jedi had traditionally presented. But if Kirlocca's gentle handling of her since her reemergence in the galaxy had told her anything, it had proven that there was more nuance to the current Jedi than there ever had been in her memory. Above all else, Jaina was dedicated to the Force itself. She had lost so many friends on both sides to petty squabbles about philosophy; lines drawn in the sand left death and destruction in their wake. Darkness held no mystery for her any longer, and the freedom that had been promised to her as the lure to draw her down the dark path had proved to be just a different set of chains. But if the Jedi could stand for peace and harmony in the galaxy, for the preservation of life and the possibility of understanding between all who command the Force, perhaps she could find like-minded allies in their midst. Perhaps there was freedom to be found in letting the light stop the dark of destruction in its tracks. Perhaps, at last, there was room for her.

"Thank you, Master. I am sure. The Force is calling me to balance, calling me to be a protector and a guardian once more."

53bzzl2.png

Kirlocca held her eyes for a moment longer as he thought about what exactly her coming could mean, but disregarded it, as there was much bigger things to be done. After that said moment had past, he nodded his own head and gave her and Tirzah that motion that they should follow him. The Wookiee turned and began to walk back towards the Jedi Temple, taking slow, yet long strides as he did. He said nothing, and his own Force presence was pushing out a constant feeling of warmth. He they walked, the Jedi Master got a vision, one that he had already seen before. The sound of lightsabers clashing, a flash of red and heat overtook him. He suddenly found his vision going in and out as he looked from his own lightsaber hilt to the ground next to him and a very beautiful blue sky. He then looked to find himself wrapped in a blue light, the only clear image being that of Ara-Lai standing over him with a welcoming smile. He then found himself standing at the stairs of the Jedi Temple. He pondered upon the vision, as it was the same as the last one he had, except instead of Ara-Lai, his own Master Mari was the one who greeted him. Feeling slightly embarrassed that he walked with Jaina and Tirzah this far without saying a word, he finally spoke after waiting a good minute at the bottom of the stairs.

<< I am glad that you have come. There is something that I must ask of you. That calling that the Force is giving you has something of great nature in store. >>

Kirlocca kept his pace until they ere at the main hall of the Jedi Temple. He looked out to the sky of Ossus before he spoke again.

<< The Force sometimes gives visions, and in my late ages as I have taken my focus off combat and into the more mysteries of the Force, I have found myself having more then a few. Consistent ones, ones that tell me to prepare for something that I do not yet understand. You see, the Council is current me as Grandmaster, with Skye, Dashel, and Tobias as the other three. I feel like I am in need to prepare the group for another seat. One that will help us see another side of the Force and life... one side that you have walked and lived... >>

Kirlocca now turned his eyes towards Jaina and let his words sink in. He wanted her to catch his meaning on her own and to respond accordingly.

Images swam before her mind before she could recall them: faces she had seen within the living Force, those presences that had been with her in the long dark of her entombment. It was almost as if they had cautioned her of something, a warning given before her disappearance into the vortex that had dropped her back on this side of the galaxy. Kirlocca's first statement caused her mind to spin to such a degree that she almost missed the second one, so subtle was its delivery.

Incredulous, she studied him as though she had heard him incorrectly. "Master," she began, her brow knotted, "what do you mean? I can't possibly sit on the Council. I'm the last person who should be considered for that honor."

Even as she said it, however, there was one more piece that slid into place: one more reason that the Force had consented to bring her back from beyond the grave using only a fraction of the effort required to summon Raynuk Montar. In her very blood, she was bound up in balance. As she lived, so must Raynuk. As he lived, so must she.

Their very lives were a perfect picture of the complementary sides of the Force.

Passing a hand over her brow to brush a stray lock of hair from her face, somber eyes met the Wookiee's as she remembered the oath she had given him mere minutes before, which carried all the more weight now that she knew what he was asking of her. I am at the disposal of the Jedi Order...

"What would you have me do?" she finished quietly.

53bzzl2.png

“This place is alive with the force” he told himself as he walked towards the Temple. “Now the hard part is to find a master that will train my stubborn sheb” he chuckled drawing closer to the stone structure. Another ship landed at the same time he did, and was approached by an older Wookiee in Jedi robes, but he felt it would have been inappropriate to ask for assistance or directions.

Once he’d finally found his way to the temple, it felt even more imposing as it did from the landing field. The hairs on the back of his neck begin to twitch as he moved into the temple. The missing weight of his westars began to feel even clearer to him now as the presence of being watched grew heavier. Turning around towards the presence, “hello, is someone there” he called out Trying to ease his nerves. "this is insane, even if you are being watched. they wont answer you if you call out to them" he thought to himself.

"Nothing is true, everything is permissive or as my momma always said, 'there ain't a dark side or a light side only gray.

You are gonna find many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.'-Zane Halcyon-ordo on his view of the force.

"It is not that you call to us, it is that the Force calls to you," a voice came from behind the man. Robed in traditional Jedi fashion, a tall Kiffar stepped out from behind a pillar and bowed to Zaine. "Welcome to Ossus. My name is Master Harlin Ronta."

Gesturing with his hand, he began walking farther into the central courtyard of the Temple. "Tell me, my friend, who are you? I sense that the Force has led you here for a purpose."

53bzzl2.png

Zaine nearly jumped out of his boots as the voice spoke. Turning to see the Jedi walk out to meet him, bow, and introduce himself.

"And I am Zaine Halcyon-Ordo" he replied returning the bow, before following after the robed man. "A purpose, I don't know about that, maybe the foolish whispering of a crazy droid, or seeking the approval of one long gone, but a purpose remains unclear...well at least to me anyway" he grinned, the three scars on his cheek stretching as he smiled. "but if there is a reason behind me being here, its to learn the Jedi Arts like my mother and my forefathers before me".

Kirlocca looked at Jaina for a moment before offering her up a smile. She was right in her assumption that many would not consider her for such a role, which is why he valued her for such a spot. Her experience would provide a much needed relief. But for the moment, he would not dwell upon such matters. He gave her a slight head nod and then had her and her daughter move along further into the Jedi Temple.

<< What I have need for you would be to travel to Kashyyyk. The chief elder there, Graanta has made a request for me. His scouts found something that from understanding resembles a Holocron on the surface of the Shadowlands. Most of what he said they found it in describes a Star Map from the old era. While I do not fear the Star Map, I worry about the knowledge that such a holocron could hold. Even more so with words of this rumored Cult. If it falls into the wrong hands...>>

Kirlocca suddenly became aware that he was rambling on.

<< I want for you to travel to Rwookrrormro on Kashyyyk and retrieve this holocron. Although, with the tensions rising within the Galactic Alliance and Kashyyyk sits on the verge of deciding whether to stay or not... you must act in such a way that would represent the Jedi Order in the highest regards. Meet with Graanta, retrieve the holocron, don't make any actions that could result in Kashyyyk withdrawing from the Galactic Alliance. >>

Jaina nodded solemnly. While she had never been to the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk, she was familiar with the dangers of the Shadowlands. Such a task did not seem high priority while the galaxy seemed to be coming apart at the seams, but Kirlocca had trusted her, and it was her turn to return the sentiment. If the Holocron was as important as Kirlocca seemed to think it was, keeping it out of the hands of the Cult would be imperative, and she would shoulder the task.

"I'll leave immediately," she said, before the small hand on her arm gave her pause. Glancing down at Tirzah, Jaina frowned. "Master, excuse me for a moment."

Laying an arm gently across Tirzah's shoulders, Jaina walked a few paces away before turning to look at her daughter. "Look, Tirzah--"

"Mom, it's okay," the girl said, her face sallow. "I get it."

Jaina sighed. "I promised you we'd stay together, and--"

"I can't come with you," Tirzah finished with a shrug. "It's fine."

Jaina's jaw tightened, her eyebrows knotted together in a concerned frown. "It's not, I made a promise to you."

"Yeah, well, you're at the service of the Order, now, aren't you?" she said, her sarcastic tone biting as she looked away, eyes brimming with tears.

Suppressing her instinct to wrap Tirzah in a hug she knew would be unwelcome, Jaina squatted so she could look up at the girl. "You are my first priority," she said quietly. "If you don't want me to go, I won't. I can stay here with you, or we can find some backwater somewhere to disappear, just the two of us."

Tirzah remained quiet for a handful of moments, still not meeting Jaina's eyes as she whispered, "No we can't. There's too much out there. Too much at stake."

Unbidden, Raia's visions of the carnage on Dathomir sprang to mind, and immediately Jaina knew her daughter's thoughts. Resting a heavy hand on her daughter's shoulder, she gazed at Tirzah wordlessly. The weight of the galaxy's well-being was too much for anyone to shoulder.

But the daughter of Andon Colos could not help but fight for the galaxy, even if that fight was with herself for the present moment.

"I'll come back," Jaina whispered, a choking rasp in her voice. "I'll always come for you."

"I know," Tirzah said quietly, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Wrapping the girl in a firm embrace, she took her hand and walked slowly to rejoin the Wookiee Master.

"Master Kirlocca," Jaina said quietly, with a solemn glance at the curly-headed adolescent, "my daughter Tirzah. She's going to stay here with the younglings until I return."

---

Once Tirzah had been settled into appropriate lodgings on Ossus, Jaina reboarded the Ferro Re solo. Passing by Atlas, she murmured instructions to the droid and proceeded immediately to her bunk.

Twelve star systems later, she was still weeping for the piece of her heart she had left behind.

53bzzl2.png

It was too hot here.

Ossus was at the midpoint of its orbit, floating between the two suns of the Adega system, and even in the brief period of hours before Adega Besh replaced Adega Prime in the sky overhead, Tirzah could not manage to get a minute of sleep. Sticky, cloying air clung to her lungs, and her hazy vision swam with images she would rather forget; foreign jungles on a red-earthed planet aflame as dark skies swirled ahead.

Throwing off the coverlet, she slipped her feet into her well-worn boots over the leggings she had worn to bed, lying tearless, alone, in the small chamber that had been assigned to her. Instinctively, she reached for the shoto-style saber her mother had made for her, the covertec clip snapping into place as she stepped through the doorway into the quiet hallway.

Doubt had swirled around her ever since she had stowed away to gain passage off Tython. Doubt in her abilities, in her fortunes abroad, in the budding relationship between her and her mother. Doubt that she had ever belonged with the Jedi, or that she ever would.

But her "Little Fairy" would not leave her alone. Ever since she had learned the proper names and terminology for skills that were hers by birthright, Tirzah had been a natural. What other children had to unlearn, she had learned as a base way of existence. Sightless, she had compensated with her mind, the strength of eyes that could see without sight.

The sweat that dampened the back of her neck picked up the faintest breeze as she stepped out into the central courtyard that separated the outbuildings of the Temple. Apparently, the Jedi forces had mostly dispersed from the ancient hall of learning on Tython, most of them transferring to Ossus to assist with the reconstruction. But tonight, the area was quiet.

Tirzah lay on her back on the still-warm cobblestones and fixed her eyes toward the sky, darkening on one horizon and beginning to lighten on the other. The Force whispered to her, secrets that she had only to reach out and touch. Some part of her did not want to know, could not hear, would not dare learn of what fate awaited her mother or their strange family, which somehow included a cadre of Sith as much as it included their Jedi brethren. Raynuk's permission rang in her ears--just be Tirzah--and so she would.

Instead of falling back on all of her classroom training, Tirzah let the Little Fairy loose in her mind and gasped as the future erupted before her.

53bzzl2.png

Kpirlocca waited until Jaina had left the planet before he decided to move on and to finally meet up with Tobias on Carida. However, as he walked to his own starfighter, he sent off a few comms to people of whom he thought should know of the missions he had assigned. One to Xae, one to Skye, and another to Dashel. Once he had finished, he arrived at the landing platforms and took his own ship off to see the Head of State Raven Zinthos.

• 2 weeks later...

As the light of Adega Besh peeked over the edge of the horizon, Tirzah’s mind grasped at images of a veiled funeral pyre within her mind, but found herself unable to hang onto its meaning. Slowly, she sat up, letting the early dawn bathe her in warmth. Like a dream, she could barely recall the things she had seen, the possibilities that the Force presented to her within the ever-changing tarantella of the future. Clinging to the last vestiges of the dream had given her a sense of mission, of something urgent she was forgetting, of some great announcement she had to give to the galaxy, and yet, her mind refused to cooperate.

Alone in the courtyard, she could nevertheless hear the sounds of life beginning to resume throughout the compound. Acolytes, hopefuls, youngling students, weapon masters, meditative knights, all illuminated in the Force, roused themselves and fell into the wind of its leading as Ossus turned on its axis.

Frustrated at her inability to recall her premonition, she stood, habitually brushing her robes as if to beat away the dust that she could not see, when a voice even younger than hers met her ears.

“Why were you lying in the middle of the courtyard?”

Something about the boy’s presence was familiar, but Tirzah couldn’t immediately place it. He seemed to her to be less than a decade, but even at his age, the child brimmed with light that illuminated him easily to her mind. Smiling, she answered, “I think better when I’m by myself. The Force tells me things.”

“Well, that’s a bit silly. You could do that in your room.” He looked at her with an expression that said he wasn’t sure she hadn’t lost her mind.

She shrugged, then extended her arms as if to draw his attention to the growing dawn. “I like outside. The air doesn’t taste as scrubbed, and the Little Fairy likes more room to dance.”

His expression changed, becoming thoughtful in a childlike way. “I like outside, too. Do I know you? I think I’ve heard something like that before.”

Tirzah laughed despite herself. “I’ve never heard anyone talk about the Force like I do. If anyone could understand it like me, I think I’d like them for a teacher, but as it is--” she trailed off, as though a memory had struck her. There were only a handful of people to whom she had ever mentioned her Fairy following her departure from Endor alongside Ashley Jade. A fearful woman on Lehon whose name she could not quite recall, Grandmaster Darex, and…

“Jax?” she asked hesitantly.

“Yes?” he replied. “So we have met before?”

Her jaw dropped, and impulsively, she ran forward to throw her arms around him. “I’m Tirzah!” she exclaimed, holding him at arm’s length following her embrace, studying his features with foggy eyes as though she could make them work better by focusing. “Remember?”

He squirmed out of her grasp, his face red. A girl had hugged him. He’d never live this down. “Ummm…” The Force swirled around him, and the vague impression of flying cupcakes passed before his mind’s eye. “I think so? From a long time ago? I think my dad was there?”

“Yes!” she affirmed excitedly. “Your dad was… there.”

As quickly as it had illuminated, Tirzah’s face fell, ashen with horror at her carelessness. Jax had lost him; the loving, caring father that she herself had always wanted. The hero of the galaxy, whose praises were sung in every history holo made since the fateful events at the Coruscant Memorial, Darex Trevelian was the shining beacon of everything a Jedi should be. Her heart sank, and for a moment, she was paralyzed, her heart pounding in her chest, searching for the tools with which to rectify her misspoken words.

“Jax, I’m… I’m so sorry,” she finished lamely. “About your dad. I know he loved you. What he did was amazing.”

Jax grew redder. “Don’t. It’s okay.” He was used to people treating him differently because of his father. They always grew quiet and withdrawn and treated him like he brought Darex’s ghost into every room with him, tagging along as a silent spectre. But Jax knew the truth. “He’s gone, but he’s not really gone. I mean…‘one with the Force’ and all that.” His teachers had always impressed that on him. It was usually what they said when they were trying to comfort him. Not that it ever helped much. Only three things ever helped: talking with Alana, the occasional holocall from his mother, and…

He shut off the thought. Was he going crazy? He wasn’t sure. But the Jedi could read his mind, and he didn’t want any Jedi reading that particular thought. “Uh, well…” he trailed off, trying to think of an excuse to leave.

“Do you want to go get breakfast? I’m starving,” Tirzah said nonchalantly, narrowing her eyes slightly at the shift that she had detected in the boy’s thoughts, but opting to say nothing of it. There was some truth that spoke to her own sentiment; thoughts of her own father who had been wholly absent from her life, but still managed to be revered among the Jedi who knew him and the Sith who fought him. She knew better than to press the issue, and instead, relished having someone to talk with on a planet where she had felt utterly abandoned. “I only got here yesterday, and I don’t know where the cafeteria is yet.”

His face wrinkled as his kind nature warred with the embarrassment of hanging out with an older girl. She was pretty, though. Even though she squinted. “I mean, I guess so.” He gestured to the rightmost entrance to the courtyard. “This way.”

Soundlessly, Tirzah trailed after him, an enigmatic smile creeping onto her features.

Hopefully, they would have good caf.

53bzzl2.png

• 2 weeks later...

As the two made their way to the cafeteria, Jax dutifully pointed out the way. “See? Just go that way at that big statue of the Jedi with the upward lightsaber.” They turned and arrived at the entrance to the large, open cafeteria.

The sight and smell of food perked Jax up. He immediately headed over to grab a tray and piled it up with thin cake-like bread things from Corellia, a mix of scrambled local bird eggs, meat patties, and chopped potatoes. He then doused the whole plate in a sweet syrup. As if that wasn't enough, he also grabbed a giant bowl of fruit with yogurt on the side. He sat the tray down at a table, then ran back to get a glass of blue milk.

“Ew, why are you drinking that?” came the voice of a familiar Force-presence behind him.

Jax’s face went serious. “C’mon ‘Lana,” he replied, rounding on his twin. “You know Mom always says we have to drink blue milk with every meal.”

“Yeah, but Mom’s not here. Who's gonna make us?” Alana challenged. She had dark brown hair and her parents’ green eyes.

Jax simply shook his head. “There's a new girl here. She's...strange.”

Alana grinned. “You were talking with a giiirrrl?”

He shoved her. “Shut up,” he grunted, blushing again.

The twins made their way over to the table, where Tirzah had already sat down.

“Hi,” Alana said, sticking out her hand.”I'm Alana.”

Tirzah nearly choked on her mouthful of roasted potatoes in her eagerness to seem engaging. Reaching out a hasty hand, she mumbled through her food, “Hi, I’m Tirzah.”

Cocking her head to one side as she swallowed her bite, she assessed the newcomer. There was an easiness and a bond between Alana and Jax that she could not quite put a finger on. “Are you training to be a Jedi too?”

“Yeah,” Alana replied, flopping down in an empty seat. “Jax and I have been here since this Temple opened. Lehon before that. I wish we were still there. It was so pretty. I could play in the water every day.”

She was staring rather openly at the older girl. “Is there something wrong with your eyes?” she asked bluntly, avoiding the kick Jax aimed at her under the table.

Accustomed to such impertinent questions from the other younglings in her classes, Tirzah was unperturbed. “I was born blind. That’s how they figured out I knew how to use the Force, because I could see even without using my eyes. But… a friend helped me, and I can see things a bit now. Not like you can, probably, but I can see more than I used to.”

Retelling the tale cast her thoughts abroad, and she found herself wondering momentarily what Raia was doing; how she was faring in the company of the Sith Lords Tirzah had been taught to despise. She sipped at the cup of caf she had absconded with before anyone had noticed her. Normally, it was a substance not offered to the children, but as a newcomer to the temple, she had not been recognized, and her Padawan’s robes and demeanor gave her the carriage of a much older student.

Alana’s previous comment retracted her attention, and Tirzah smiled. “I liked Lehon too. I feel at home in the waves. That’s where I met Jax and Grandmaster Darex; on Lehon a couple years ago.” She stuffed another piece of vinesap-covered flatbread into her mouth, partially to cover the fact that she was unsure of what to say next. Making friends with the other students had never come easily to her, but what Jax had said about his father had sunk barbs into her curiosity. If she wanted answers, she would have to navigate her way around conversation with the pair. After she swallowed, Tirzah glanced up at Alana once more. “Where are you from?”

Alana and Jax shared glances. “You didn't tell her?” Alana asked accusingly.

“No time,” Jax replied sullenly. “Alana is my twin sister,” he told Tirzah.

“You met our dad, then? Lot of people did.” Alana appraised the other girl. “Uh, we are kinda from Tython. Why are you here? You have family?”

It was something of a hallmark or a minor miracle that, for the first time in her young life, Tirzah could respond in the affirmative to that question and not qualify it in a hundred different ways. “My mom’s a Jedi Kn--my mom’s on the Jedi Council. We came to see Master Kirlocca but he sent her somewhere dangerous and I wasn’t allowed to come along.”

Looking askance, her hands started fidgeting with the utensil she clutched in her fingers. “It kinda feels like everywhere is dangerous right now. A lot of people have been saying that Faust is back. But I thought he was gone forever.”

The twins sobered immediately. There was a long silence. “He's dead,” Jax said finally.

But it was clear that neither twin was certain. “Jax, if--”

“Not now, ‘Lana,” he whispered furiously. He raised his voice. “The Force wouldn't let him live. He...he is a really bad man. And the Force takes care of us.”

Alana pouted. “Why don't you tell the truth, Jax?”

“It is the truth!”

“No it's not.”

“Yes it is!”

“Is not!”

“Is!” he insisted fiercely.

“If it took care of us, why did it let Dad die?”

Suddenly both twins seemed to remember Tirzah. Alana blushed for the first time. “Uh….sorry Tirzah.”

“It’s okay, I get it. My dad’s gone too.” Her voice went flat, and Tirzah set her fork down on her plate, letting her hands drop to her lap. “They told me someone stole his memories of me when I was a baby. Sometimes, I wish I could just talk to him. But that kind of thing doesn’t happen.”

She trailed off, picking up her cup of caf once more.

“You mean, he doesn’t--” This time it was Alana who tried to kick her brother, and he wasn’t as successful at evading it. “Ow! Alana!”

“Don’t, Jax. Just don’t.”

Jax’s eyes turned to consider Tirzah. “She’s my friend, Alana,” he said quietly. “We need to help her.”

Unspoken communication seemed to flow between the twins, and after a moment, Alana sighed and nodded.

Jax lowered his voice and glanced furtively around the cafeteria before meeting Tirzah’s milky eyes. “Have you ever heard of Force ghosts?”

53bzzl2.png

“I’ve heard of them, but never seen one,” Tirzah said nonchalantly, though the pace of her heartbeat told a different story. It was painfully obvious that the twins were hiding something, and she had a hunch. “My dad wouldn’t come back as a Force ghost, anyways. Mom said he’s not even in the galaxy anymore, alive or dead.”

And he wouldn’t care to come back even if he was, she stopped herself from saying. Master Raynuk’s permission to despise her father had been surprising and freeing in many ways. The Jedi teachings about emotion were always about how to get rid of it, not how to apply it, because that was the dark side. Then again, he was a Sith. Maybe giving space to those feelings was inherently setting her feet into the realm of darkness.

What was worse; she didn’t exactly care.

Where before she had been ravenous, Tirzah suddenly found herself lacking any appetite. She set down her fork, and her eyes passed back and forth between the twins expectantly. Like all children at that age, they were both desperate to keep their secret and to share it, and remaining somewhat aloof would likely be the best way to extract such information.

“Have, uh, have you guys ever seen a Force ghost?” She punctuated her query with a shrug to make it seem even less demanding.

Both twins remained silent. Jax studied Tirzah for a long moment, and finally, he glanced at Alana. “I think we can trust her.”

She nodded in reply solemnly.

Jax turned back to Tirzah. “Yes, we have. Sometimes our dad comes to visit us. And that's why I don't believe your dad wouldn't come to you. I'm sure if he could, he would.”

Tirzah almost couldn’t enjoy the pay dirt she had hit given their attempts at encouragement. He had a chance to stay with me, and he let it go… for what?

But Darex Trevelian, visiting his children as a spirit? Maybe he knew something about Faust being back. Maybe because they had all died together, they would all have to come back together. Maybe Onderin Starlisk was haunting someone else in the galaxy. Maybe…

She halted her line of thought, and let the wonderment at their answer show on her face. “He comes to visit you? What does he tell you? Is he… alive?”

“Of course not!” Alana quickly corrected. “He died on Coruscant. He fought that bad man. Faust. But you know how our teachers always say that the Jedi Code says that there is no death, only the Force?” She shrugged. “It means people we love never really leave us. That's what he said, anyway.”

“He doesn't talk about much,” Jax added. “Just asks us how we are, how classes are. That kind of thing. Why?”

Tirzah’s unique eyes flickered toward the window, as though the life she could see beyond it was beckoning, and she chewed her lip in thought. When her attention came back to the twins, a glint was in her eyes that anyone who knew her mother would have recognized as the very picture of Jaina Jade Skywalker.

“What if we could bring him back?” The wheels were spinning faster than her mind could keep up. “They must have followed a cloning procedure. If he’s visiting as a Force ghost, maybe we can convince him the galaxy still needs him. If Faust is back, like they’re saying, the galaxy does need him.”

The twins shared glances again. Alana crossed her arms, but Jax looked thoughtful. There was an exchange of emotion between them. Alana bit her lip and turned back to Tirzah. “Tirzah,” she said quietly, her voice unable to hide the sadness in it, “our dad loved us. If there was a way he could come back, don’t you think he would have done it? Or told someone about it?”

Jax’s lower lip wavered a little. “We need him. We told him that. But he says he can’t.”

“Why can’t he?” Tirzah asked impertinently, her excitement visibly agitating her. While the deceased Grandmaster had been utterly kind to her, it entered into the back of her mind that this was only really important to her because his return meant that her mother might be absolved of responsibility and the two of them could simply take time to be together.

But the galaxy didn’t seem to work that way. Not for those who fought for justice.

Alana shook her head. “He just can’t, okay?”

Jax was a bit kinder. “I used to think that way, Tirzah. I asked him why, over and over. Until it wasn’t worth asking any more.” He paused. “But...we can ask him again. Maybe you can be there. Maybe something has changed.” He clearly thought he was grasping at straws. He turned to look at his twin, who was glaring at him, then shrugged. “It doesn’t hurt to ask. If he can come back...I’ll do anything to help.”

The boy’s hopeful tone, combined with the obvious pain of losing his father, softened the features of the older girl, and Tirzah smiled at him. Determination was still evident in her eyes, however, as she spoke once more, looking to Jax’s sister, as she knew Alana was the more reticent of the two to pursue this angle. “Can you take me to him?”

53bzzl2.png

“There is no guarantee he’ll show up,” Alana said as the three children abandoned their breakfasts and headed out of the cafeteria. “We never know when he'll appear. He said once he can't really control it. But we can try.”

They made their way across the dusty courtyard once more, this time ducking into a large domed structure, its viridian glass windows shimmering in the early reddish light. Within its walls, the compound contained an expansive, immaculately kept garden. Fountains bubbled all around the vivarium, its pools paradoxically both perpetually cycling and constant in their contents. While they walked through the burgeoning plant life, species collected from all across the galaxy and cultivated here primarily for their healing effects, the twins bombarded Tirzah with a volley of questions.

“How do you know about this?”

“Have you ever brought someone back to life before?”

“How do you know it'll work?”

“Are you only doing it because our dad is needed for the Jedi? Or is there another reason?”

“Shouldn't we bring in some adults? Like your mom? She's on the Council, right?”

Nervously, the curly-headed teen glanced around, obviously uncomfortable to be talking about this in the open, especially with any eavesdropping ears potentially belonging to fellow Jedi. Several muttered iterations of “guys”, “quiet”, “shh”, “wait”, had fallen on deaf ears, and finally, she rounded on the pair, her voice a harsh whisper. “Okay, seriously, you two, you need to pipe down!”

Grabbing them each by a hand, she pulled them aside behind the massive fountain at the farthest point from the building’s entrance, where the constant growl of the water concealed her words as she sat them down on a stone bench that had been carved with ornate flourish. “We can’t tell any of the adults what we’re up to,” she adjured the pair. “No one will believe us. Adults never believe things like that,” she added sullenly.

Within the gurgling roar of the water, a hiss began to grow in volume, finally reaching a threshold at which Tirzah became aware of its existence, but she couldn’t help but feel that it had always been there. At first, Tirzah thought it might be the telltale static of a listening device’s feedback, and her heart took a giant leap into her throat. They had been found out. She would be shipped back to Hapes, or Nar Shaddaa, or Lehon, or any of the other places she had been dropped for the ease of everyone who was unwillingly charged with her care. She had to run, now, and Jax and Alana could pretend it had all been a game, she had been some figment of imagination created with a voice changing comm playback.

But it was not a game. The paralyzed form of a comatose Master Tares was not a game. The deceivers on Raxus Prime who had kidnapped her were not a game. The pictures she had seen reflected in Raia’s mind were not a game. The dangerous mission that her mother had been tasked with was not a game. Vladimir Faust was not a game.

It was only then that she heard the hiss for what it was: sibilant words from an imperceptible orator.

”Ocean…” The word repeated over and over again, the faintest whisper of a voice whose gender was impossible to tell, coming more into Tirzah’s mind than her ears. At the same moment when she recognized the word, all three children suddenly saw the image of an endless ocean, deep and calm, flash through their minds. It lingered for a second, then both the whisper and the image vanished.

The twins looked at Tirzah, identical wide-eyed expressions of surprise and solemnity on their faces. “Was that...the Force?” Jax asked in a whisper.

The older girl forewent an answer, instead leaning between the twins in order to plunge her hands into the fountain, as though she could grasp onto the fragments of the painting splashed across her mind. The cold water dripped to her elbows, wetting the sleeves of her robe, but within its startling chill she found clarity. Pale eyes turned to Jax, and the tug of a mischievous grin seized the corner of her mouth.

“Yes, it was. We have to go back to Lehon.”

53bzzl2.png

Having a goal and that goal involving an adventure was enough for the Trevelian twins. They were immediately onboard. Jax had a few scruples about sneaking away, however, and as the trio planned how they’d get to Lehon, he kept trying to come up with legitimate reasons they could give to get there. But Alana, always the rule-breaker, kept pointing out how Tirzah had said they couldn’t bring any adults into it.

“No, Jax. We have to do it ourselves.”

But eventually, the boy hit on a point that made the other two pause. “We can’t take a ship. We can’t pilot it.”

“Umm,” Alana hesitated. “That’s actually a good point. Maybe there’s a transport we can sneak onboard?”

“But no one’s going to Lehon, not since this became the main temple,” Tirzah commented. “All the shuttles going back are empty, we’ll definitely get corked.”

They thought about it for a few minutes, trading ideas and ruling out each one of them. Finally, Alana got a wild, excited look in her eyes. “Jax!” she exclaimed. “I bet we can convince Tyko to take us!”

His eyes widened. “Ohhh, I bet you’re right!”

“We can tell her--”

“--that Mom sent for us--”

“--and that we have to take Tirzah--”

“--cause her mom is on the Council!”

They sat there grinning identically, then belatedly Jax turned to a bewildered Tirzah to offer an explanation. “Tyko is our nanny droid. She follows us everywhere. It’s kinda annoying. But Alana is good at tricking her to get her to do things we want, like give us extra dessert. If she thought our mom was going to meet us on Lehon, she’d take us. And she’s programmed to obey moms, so if she thinks yours is sending for you, she’d take you too.”

“No problem,” Alana said confidently, her eyes sparkling.

Programmed to obey moms was certainly something Tirzah was not. Although Jaina had been clear in her expectation of returning to find Tirzah, she never said that the girl had to stay put on Ossus the whole time, not explicitly. Besides, her mom was just as impulsive as she was, if not more so. If she brought back a martyred Jedi Grandmaster, Tirzah felt quite sure she would successfully avoid any reprisals.

With a half a grin, she looked back and forth between the twins. “It’s the best plan we’ve got, I just have one more question."

They nodded, eyebrows raised, obviously expecting something logistical, when Tirzah blurted out, “Can she also give us extra dessert?”

53bzzl2.png