The Eternal Vigilance (The Maw)

Tarrian Skywalker

As her despair deepened...something in the force swirled in the air. She could be confused about the source, and forgiven for not fully understanding what was happening. Fynn surely didn't comprehend it...he could see without eyes, hear without ears, even talk without mouth. Here...wherever here was resonated throughout the force, it was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. The last thing he could remember was a pain in his chest that seemed to suffocate him.

Fynn had been stuck somewhere between existence in one world and emergence in another. He couldn't feel anything, or rather sense anything, he could though feel emotion. He felt it so strongly, that when given the choice between what he thought was a oblivion, and the pain of loss...he had chosen the pain of loss. It anchored him like a tether to a windship in the skies of Dantooine. Now he reached out by calling thier names...then yelling out at them. Nivana had not heard him, and Darla had brushed her hair away, not quite realizing that the breeze on her shoulder was not natural.

Their was one left who might hear him, but each time he got close enough to her, he felt pulled away. As if someone or something was trying to revive him...Now Fynn tried it again. He summoned all he had learned about the force and every bit of energy and screamed....CAN YOU HEAR ME!!! he waited...but there was nothing. Skye seemed to be as unaware as Darla or the others...

-----

Frustrated, depressed and feeling despair, Fynn stopped and contemplated his predicament. "Feeling sorry for yourself as always I see..." said a dark voice from over his shoulder. Fynn spun, trying to see where the voice had come from. "Who are you...where are you!? Can you hear me?" Fynn asked, tired but relieved that someone could finally hear him. "Of course I can hear you...are you that stupid?" the voice said again with a slight laugh. It was closer it felt like it was over his shoulder. "What!? This isn't funny...I can't see you..."

"Come now Fynn, you didn't think the Witches of Dantooine left you completely alone did you? You remember the stone circle rituals...you even still do them. You needed help, your father...my father...Garm, he knew that you weren't strong enough on your own to survive. I, Kern, was dying, so he did what he thought was best...he had the witches combine our souls. I wasn't much more then a wild beast...in fact I was a beast, an animal if you will."

"Your lying, Garm loved me he wouldn't have done that...your the one I faced in that cave, your the sithlord!" Fynn said denying what he knew could be possible. "I'm no sith lord...please I'm not that petty. Trust me Fynn, out there in the galaxy you would have been overwhelmed...but I couldn't use the force like you could...so together we are far stronger. Then you had to go and die. I swear...no matter how hard I try you would never let me help you...I'll I could do was give you the killing instinct when you needed it. I'm tired of being in the shadows...when we comeback...it will be my turn."

"Your turn!?...lets say its true...were dead there is no coming back." Fynn said with absolutel certainty. "Come on Fynn, if we were meant to die we wouldn't be here. I can't fully explain it. Maybe its your bond with Master Skye she doesn't let go easily. Besides she is certainly tempting isn't she? Alone, husbandless...desperate." Kern said with a sick sort of twist. "What are you talking about!?" Fynn said growing disguted. "Oh come of it Fynn you know you like her...of course, Darla's more alluring. Maybe it was her love for you eh? So... powerful...animalistic...what I wouldn't give-" Fynn cut him off cold..."Stop it!!", he said as Kern was getting under his skin.

"Take it easy Fynn...you'll bust a blood vessel....oh thats right...you don't have one..." Kern laughed again. "Then theres Nivana, you sly bantha...I never imagined that someone so young, so vunerable could be so exciting, she might be better then all of them. Maybe some skill yet unborn in her reached out and pulled us back..." Kern said with a sort of coldhearted rasp. "Oh I know you won't let me hurt her...that is you, isn't Fynn ever the gentleman, ever the jedi...don't worry I'm not going to hurt anyone."

"Is there a point to all this?" Fynn said as he tried his best to remain sane. "Yes of course...don't forget about me! I'm tired of being ignored...you gave up part of your soul, so dont expect me to be so laid back anymore." Kern said with a sinister quality to his voice. "Now...it looks like your going to be reborn...I've seen it before...just remember, I will be there." the voice paused "Wait a minute...I think someone heard you...to bad that can't talk to you. Well its been fun but we really must be getting reborn...give my love to Darla." The voice laughed hard and then vanished.

"Some things... are worse then death, being forgotten for example..."

Member Since '05 - The Old Ones | Character Sheet

• 3 weeks later...

"Why..." came a voice all to familiar to Fynn.

"Why what..." Fynn replied as he looked down on Darla's serene face. "Why do you linger here...over her...you can't help her anymore. You can't help any of them."

"Maybe it gives me comfort." Fynn said as he turned to the voice of Kern. "Comfort? No, maybe you can't let go." Kern said in a sort of depressed tone.

"Perhaps, but what I do is not your buisness is it?"

"Yes, it is, because the longer you stay here, the harder it will be for you to comeback."

"Maybe I shouldn't...

"Shouldn't what?"

"Comeback, what happened had to have a reason, a purpose. Maybe I was standing in Nivana's way, maybe Darla needed to lose me to understand something."

"There was no reason for your death...you died a meaningless pawn in a war that has raged for too long." Kern said actually sounding genuine.

"Maybe, but it was my choice," Fynn said as he looked back at Darla.

"Don't think you can just let it go...your purpose isn't finished, not while I'm still alive."

"I can't believe it..." Said another voice...and old womans' voice. "Who what..." Fynn asked looking about.

"She's wearing my robe...its good to see old things still have use." said an old woman who appeared near the corner of the room. "You knew her?" the old woman asked Fynn. The woman looked like a jedi, her hair neatly braided and her garb was that of an old jedi, from before the darktimes.

"I...yes..."

"Your fortunate, she's special that one. I can feel it. What are you doing here? You aren't like me. My time was done a long time ago. Spent it minding this place, keeping watch on ones like you, and her." the old woman asked puzzled.

"But I'm dead..."

"No, not yet, not in the way that matters...the force still needs you." the old jedi woman said.

"See Fynn, even she knows it...it will be my turn next...and when I get free..."

"Your turn? This one is the one who left that plain not you, when he leaves he can do what he wants with you. Or didn't you know that." the old woman said with a smile at Fynn.

"Get away old fool...!" Kern said as the woman disappared in a blink of an eye.

"I would rather die then let you harm any of these people." Fynn said as he looked at his adoptive brother.

"I'm hurt, well now what? You think you can just give up, or fade away like a memory? It isn't that easy and you know it. Darla will be Darla, Skye will be Skye, Nivana will be Nivana. You'll see...I'll find a way too-" Kern was cut off by Fynn's quick and stern reply.

"You won't, I promise you",Fynn said getting up from his position.

"The promises you make are rather hollow." Kern said laughing at Fynn's words.

"Not this one, you may be Garm's son, but so am I..." Fynn moved towards his brother.

"Thats it Fynn...its about time you and I had it out. You know it will be a stalemate, we are equal here. Give it up before we both end up hurt." Kern said awaiting him.

"It'll be worth it to have you shut up for once." Fynn

"You know, I think I'm going to enjoy tormenting your freinds, with your face it will be so fulfilling." Kern said as Fynn grew closer. It first appeared as Fynn was giving up for he dropped his hands to side and shook his head.

Fynn threw a punch catching Kern off guard. The man reeled, getting his bearing after rubbing his face. Responding quickly, Kern kneed Fynn and then shoved him over. As he approached Fynn, Fynn kicked at the mans' knees. Getting up the two exchanged blows again. This time Kern got knocked down.

"You forget brother...I've been here a long time." Suddenly Kern brandished a sword, and sliced towards Fynn's representation. Dogding as best he could Fynn waited for Kern to slice at him again. Then he grabbed Kern's hands and wrested the weapon free. Before he could brandish it, Kern tackled Fynn but this time, the two didn't stop, the fall was long and kept getting konger.

"What...whats happening..." Fynn said as he tried to figure out was going on. Kern echoed his scream a scream of futility that seemed to have no end.Instead the last thing that crossed the plain of his mind, was a scream that seemed to drop into nothingness.

• 2 weeks later...

It was little more then a presence at first...something felt but not heard, a gentle whisper flowing on ones ear. It got stronger...condensed...finally it was heard. A voice, a calm unyeilding but undeniable strings of sounds that was a voice.

"Darla..."

"Darla......"

"Darla!" The voice called and finally exclaimed. As the voice got her attention she could be excused for being suprised.

"I need you," The voice had a figure now, "I can't stay like this much longer...I'm beginning to fade...you must hurry." The voice said with a multitonal quality that was odd. Fynn's face was visible now. "If you want to help ME...clone...you have what you need. I don't want...gone...you must...trust me." The voice got more erratic as the sound and vibration in his voice fadded. His form changed, grew more disperesed, angrier. It lasted for just a few seconds more...but then the voice faded and sputtered, like a sun slowly being consumed by a blackhole.

------

Moments later on another side of the complex near Nivana, a small speck of light spiraled from the ceiling. If not for her training, the light would have been missed the padawan. As it was it caught her attention. It danced like a spark without a source around her. Suddenly the small speck of light lept into the air and burst in a hundered directions. A smaller specks of light fell to the floor several of the specks absorbed into the lightsaber, which began to spark as if it were being turned off an on in rapid succession. Nivana pulled the saber off her waist and watched as the blade came on by itself. In the vibrations of the viridian colored saber, a voice could be heard.

"Don't listen...Kern...it's not fair...listen to the force...can't be seen...not strong enough." The voice was gone as quickly as it came. The sprites of light all dissapeared and the saber shut itself off. One last sprite danced in front of Nivana, and then shot straight into through her, leaving a feeling...an imprint of thought that could not be misunderstood.

"Well done Fynn, once your cloned the new body will be all mine..." Kern said as he stood on a pricepice above a black plane. Several thunder claps rolled in the distance.

"Not bloody likely Kern, you'll never leave this place." Fynn said as stood a short distane from his estranged brother. "Stop fighting me Fynn, its senseless...I'm stronger here."

"You're only a strong here as I let you be, and I won't let you conquer me or hurt them." Fynn said sternly. "You're really starting to bug me you know that...its a good thing I need your essence to stick around a little longer or else I would have let us fall into nothing..." Kern said with a brutal smile.

• 4 weeks later...

A message from Helix Station heavily encrypted reaches the jedi base.

Conference Room 42

As a few more stragglers entered Fynn approached a small platform near the large map. It was time.

”œFirst I want to be clear, I am no jedi master”¦I am but a knight. I have called this meeting so that we all may realize the threat we mutually face. You've heard of them before, the Sith and the Empire, they haven't changed, only gotten worse. We on the other hand, have changed. We've become fragmented, distant, and disoriented. We lack focus, vision, and functionality.”

• 4 weeks later...

“Hello! Hello, is anyone out there... please!?” The captain begged, banging impotently on his cabin door.

“This isn't right, you can't keep us in here like this, I have a contract!” the Twilek crewman cried out, sitting with arms folded around his knees, screaming into the void. The only answer echoes from his hermetically sealed tomb.

“Can anyone hear me! Hello!” Yava implored, her eyes filled with desperate tears as she tried to unlock her quarters.

Two days had passed quickly in blackness of space that was only punctuated with brief hyperspace jumps from point to point. Finally however, the last jump had taken them to the last known coordinates of the massive city sized ship that once housed an entire garrison of Jedi forces, including an array of deadly weapons, and the most prized artifacts in a full quarter of the known galaxy. The freighter now hung nearby, growing slowly closer as it's gravitational pull interacted with the large vessel. 

The various black holes of the Maw strained and threatened the ship. For the moment at least, the large freighter was in no immediate danger. The sensor logs had found the Eternal Vigilance while it's captain had made an unscheduled pick up of spice, under the prying eyes of the local patrols. The run he'd made had been a remarkable stroke of luck for Kern, but he preferred to think of it as destiny guiding him ever onwards. 

The voices of the trapped crew echoed through the empty halls of the cramped quarters. The pleas of the increasingly agitated crew fell on deaf ears. There was no escape, no rescue, only his merciless whims separated them a pitiful and meaningless death.

Kern sat with his legs crossed stretching his feelings into the force, the various trendrils of the darkside that reached everywhere, especially where the light couldn't reach or even fathom. Bottomless pools of power lay within his reach, and day by day, minute by minute, Kern felt his strength increasing and his abilities fed by the darkside felt more within reach.

The desperation of those captured like animals continued to mount. To Kern it was like an energizing meal. The fear, that which now drove the lives of the beings on the ship gave his senses focus, heightening his powers, and deepenED his connection to the darkside. It was then that he could feel something else shift, someone had gained freedom, something was coming, drawing closer. They were filled with righteous anger, a desire to avenge there imprisonment. They were gathering allies, doors were being opened.

Kern felt all of this, his powers in the force allowed him to see it as if he was among the would be usurpers. There were always the rebels, the resisters, the rally of the cries of freedom. Liars, idiots, incessant gnats to the true order of things... much as he was were he to confront Exodus in such a low state. His role on Kesh as Arbiter of the Will of Furion had helped him develop the abilities to end such risings, but now he let it play out, curious as to the extent his powers had returned. Furion had not been seen for long time, but Kern's will had kept him going, his desire for power driving him to survive. With the treasures on the ship before him, his powers would grow to unknown heights, but that was a future not yet written.

The bridge controls were locked out, as the captain had finally managed to use a secret command code known only to him and another at a terminal that he must have left off the official diagrams of the vessel. Clever, all too clever, Kern thought.

The door to the bridge slid open, and three beings entered quickly brandishing blasters. The three rushed forward.

"Fynn, or whatever your name is, put your hands where I can see them!" The captain ordered his bluster clear and foolish.

Kern didn't move, he simply tilted his head as if he was only moderately disturbed by what unfolded behind him.

“You!” The captain raised his weapon to blast Kern into atoms. But suddenly he stopped. Frozen in place. Yava turned to see the captain, a look of horror on her face. The man stood his face locked in a look of wrenching pain.

“Captain?” Yava asked desperately.

“I'm truly concerned about your captain Yava. He appears to have a weak heart. Pity.” Kern said he turned his head slowly.

“Let him go!” the twilek screamed in anger and raised his blaster to fire. One bolt loosed and landed harmlessly behind Kern in the back of one of the front facing seats. The man had wasted his one chance.

Kern raised a hand, and the weapon flew from the twilek's hands and clattered and broke on the floor away from the enraged crew member. Another motion sent the twilwek flying backwards and into the hall behind him. The sickening thud left little doubt as to the man's broken and at least concussed state. The force had little mercy on those without the ability to shield themselves. The door to the bridge slammed shut, and now only a Yava and and her immobilized captain remained with cloaked and unmoving Kern who now spoke to little Yava with deep conviction.

“Yava, I need you to act quickly now, the Eternal Vigilance is nearby, but I'll need the ships controls to take us closer, navigate this Maw, and ultimately dock. I can't do that with your captains interference. You'll need to get him to tell you-”

“I'll... never...ta-” the captain croaked, his breath choked again.

I don't remember asking you a damned thing! I'm speaking to Yava now.” Kern said, angered by the interruption, the darkside crackling through his rage. Yava looked to Kern, and slowly raised the blaster, clearly confused.

“You aren't a Jedi, you're one of them...” Yava said afraid to say what she knew he was.

“Yava, don't be foolish, I don't need to harm you or your captain, I only need this ship to complete my task” Kern said finally rising to his feet, in a voice that was almost seductive. His black and grey tunic was cleaned now, a little service a droid had performed for him when he'd been taken aboard. His face ashen but bolder and more vibrant, His form seemed larger now, as if he'd physically grown to be an imposing figure from the frail husk that had been taken aboard. He approached her, his now deeply crimson and fiery eyes burrowing deeply into hers.

“I-, I can't, you have to st-, stop.” Yava looked at him nervously, her voice growing in confused panic. As her captain struggled to even breathe. 

Help... me... please....

give me what I want, ... give in... tell me what you know... 

There it is... you have it, let it go little one... give in... 

Kern had found it, He had seen into Her mind, He no longer needed the captain...He had something better.

“... remember when I said lives were at stake? I didn't lie to you about that. Your actions here will have a pivotal role in the lives of your shipmates. There are still others below who would suffer greatly if I am stopped from my purpose by your captain. But you can save them, all of them. You have the code, I know you do, your attention to detail tells me that you've watched him use it many times, so simple, five little numbers between me and my goal.” Kern said circling her, using the darkside to cloud everything accept his voice, the command counsel, and his face.

“But... I-, please... I can't-” Yava begged.

“If you don't help me then he will die, and so will all your crew, screaming, howling amongst the maw, their blood on your hands. They need your help, you can save them. Now enter the numbers into the control panel. Help them... help them or they will die. It's that simple.” Kern said plainly, as put his hand on the blaster and began to push it slowly away from him.

“I-” Yava's hands shook, she readied herself to pull the trigger. Kern redoubled his efforts, feeding on her frustration and fear, using them to pull even more of her deep seated doubts to the surface. She was more capable then the captain, smarter and more cunning, she had potential, but Kern filled her with confusion and pain, the same feelings that fed him. Each moment, Kern pulled her deeper into a conflicted purgatory, her thoughts and will no longer completely her own. He could see her mind clearly now, the yearnings the desires, the secrets and fears that even she was repressing.

“Yava, I've had days here, I could have killed you at anytime. I know you can be more then the third mate on a second rate runner of spice. You want for more, I am your one chance, Do it for yourself, none of these insects need you... but I do, you can serve me, and be rid of all doubt...give yourself to what you know to be right,. Now stop struggling and enter the codes...” , The gun was taken from her hand, and quickly disabled by removing it's clip.

Yava found herself at the controls of the ship, she entered the sequence, and then as she completed the last one Kern relaxed his grip on the captain, dropping him to the floor. Yava's face showed an instant of relief as she too fell to her knees.

“Thank you.” Kern said kindly as he reached out and gently caressed her face with his one human hand.

...The other reached out to form a closed fist, and a surge of the force snapped the thick neck of the captain. The sickening crack caused Yava's mind to cry out in emotional pain. Kern picked up the dropped blaster from the being who'd threatened him and looked at it disgustingly.

“Little worm, you would think to threaten me? I am as death to you!” Kern said loudly to the captains' soon to be lifeless corpse. He dismantled the man's weapon and it's remnants clattered to the floor. A second motion saw the captain convulse, as Kern reached into his chest again, and broke his heart, the crush bringing him immeasurable pain, and Kern a sickening smile of satisfaction.

“Worry not little Yava, I will have further need for you. Go aid your other friend, he needs some healing I should think.” Kern directed, he sounded almost gentile, and stately, as if the man whose heart he'd crushed was not still convulsing in pain before her. Only a single tear rolled down her face, but her mouth had a small satisfied smile.

Kern stood behind, shaking his head, exerting his will over her simple mind. 

“Now, go see to your shipmate, and be ready to deploy the docking mechanism.” He commanded, using the force to impel her to obey. Yava got up and slowly left the bridge her spirit mostly broken. His control over her would still take time, but he was confident that eventually her will would be completely overcome. A willing servant was not made in a day.

Kern sat down in the captains chair, and made sure no other part of the ship could send a signal, or countermand him, this time with the captains personal prefix code, as the last moments of the mans' life exited his body. Kern reveled in the wanton loss of life, brief as the moment was. The Darkside had brought him here, to obtain what so many others desired, He had but to take it, as he had this ship. Nothing would stand between him and his prize.

Edited by Fynn Relmis

The Ryloth's Spite kept itself in a stationary position a short distance from the heart of the Maw. Here the violent gaseous clouds crackled with electrical disturbances that occasionally rocked the ship.

The red lightsaber in Kern's hands crackled forth, as he swung it with deadly accuracy toward a bolt that was flung at him from the twileks' blaster. Deflecting it back, and impacting the mans chest. It knocked him from his feet, and he collapsed to the floor with a thud. The dark room forced Kern to look around carefully, stretching with the force to find his prey. The twilek however was in pain, and was easily located.

Kern, shirtless, watched him dispassionately for a moment, disappointed in his lack of effort. He found his body was slowly but surely returning to his command. The Maw itself was energizing, the pure chaos and destruction feeding him. 

"Again," Kern commanded sternly. 

"I can't I'm-" the young man was clearly tiring, hours of the cat and mouse game clearly getting to him.

"I don't care. Again." Kern deactivated the crimson blade, and placed at his side.

"Listen, just because the blaster is on a low setting doesn't mean it won't kill me." the young twilek spat at him. 

"Well, do the math, do you want a blast that might kill you, or a crushed windpipe... that will certainly kill you?" Kern said as he prepared himself for the next assault. The bay of the cargo vessel made an excellent training area, large crates, dark cavarans of supplies, places to hide and confront. 

"I... I hate you." the Twilek said painfully as he came to his feet. 

"Good, then you truly are learning... again." Kern said, pleasantly surprised by the young man's feelings. 

The twilek fired several bolts, and then found cover as Kern blocked each blast with ease. The Twilek was no great fighter, or soldier, but Kern needed to reawaken skills that were in need on the ship awaiting them. His stagnation had given him cobwebs, made him dusty. If he was not in fighting shape, the defensive systems of the ship would end him, even if they were not at peak capacity. 

Several more blasts from a hidden spot, Kern lept through the air diving out of the way of the stray shots, deciding at the last moment to at an elevated position on a large cargo container. The door behind him opened, and the form of Yava Sternhylde came forth. She was a little different from the docent third mate she had been when Kern came aboard. 

"Captain, I hope your interruption is an important one." Kern said not taking his attention from his prey.

"I'm still preparing the nav computer to calculate a trajectory to take us through the Maw." Yava said plainly, her voice slightly devoid of emotion. 

"How much longer, I'm quite eager to get moving."

"Another day at least," Yava announced. "The ship has been placed in a very precarious position. If we are not precise, the ship will be ripped apart.  

"But that's not the reason you're concerned." Kern responded, her motivations clear to him.

"When this is done, what happens to me? Your promises are all well and good. But...Sith aren't known for there giving nature." Yava said plainly. 

"How wrong the galaxy is about us. Sith destroy that which does not submit. The order we bring will assure peace to all. You need not need fear me, as long as you remain useful and efficient. I have need of effective crew, and so far you have been quite useful." Kern said as he continued looking for his prey. Finding a human crewman hiding behind a nearby crate, Kern grabbed the mans' leg using the force to fling him into a far off corner. The threat dispatched, he turned back to Yava. He dropped from the elevated crate, dropping several meters and landing with ease next to her. 

"When I have reached my goal, your service will be rewarded.", Kern said smiling, and put his hand reassuringly on her shoulder. Yava didn't respond, BUT 
"Continue the calculations...we need to move as soon as possible. That ship is a prize the Jedi will not ignore forever, let alone others of my breed. I will not miss this opportunity." Kern said, as she spun around to follow him. "-and get me two more sparring partners, these are useless." Kern barked.

• 2 weeks later...

Kern entered the bridge, and took his station in the captains chair.

"You signaled?" He asked as leaned back in the chair to look over at the woman at the navigation station.

"Yes...my- what am I to call you anyways? Lord? Master? Baron?" Yava asked, genuinely confused.

"If we survive, I'll let you know. Simply serve me well and this ship will only be the first of your rewards. For now let's dispense with the formalities...are we ready?" Kern said folding his arms impatiently.

Kern watched as Yava entered the final sequence.

“Here goes nothing…” Yava said as she took a breath and leaned back. A R4 droid bleeped in response, it’s grey and white paint scheme blending well with the slot it had entered a moment earlier.

“R4-5T, enter the sequence.” she barked at the droid, and it chirped in response as the ship came alive with movement.

“Are you certain this will this work?” Kern asked dispassionately as he tried to focus his mind on the task ahead. So much relied upon a series of improbabilities… all of which had led him here. Would he truly be denied at the cusp of such a glorious achievement by a miscalculation? He'd known failure too many times in his past life, a bitter pill that never ceased to enrage his mind. He thought of his former deceivers, his so called friends. Mistress Skye chief among them. His acceptance into the elite circle of the Sith would further prove his greatness, and acceptance to ever higher levels of power and status. Who would then doubt that he was the perfect weapon to dispatch the enemies of the Sith? Who then would deny him anything he wished? The force itself would be at his feet. But that path was still obstructed by vast and unsympathetic forces that lay ahead.

“Well.. let’s see, there’s six singularities all interacting and each desirous of pulling us into an intractable position of infinite death… then we have to dock with a city sized ship at one of only two ports that won’t spell certain doom, Oh and remain there for whatever period of time it will take for you to extract whatever is you’ve come after and then leave the way we came-“

Kern raised his hand to stop her babbling.

“A simple yes would sufficed. No need for the impudence. He shot back. "Secure all crew doors, I want no more heroes attempting to disrupt my mission.” He said as he keyed in the new command codes that only he was in possession of. 

“All hands, brace yourselves, this may get a bit bumpy.” Yava said into the intercom.

The large freighter lurched forwards, threading the balance between the gravitational fields, it’s powerful engine strained at 120% of maximum, pushing the ship to the limits of it’s integrity. Kern sat uncomfortably as he heard the bulkheads and metal of the outer hull creek and strain audibly keeping them intact as the Eternal Vigilance grew closer.

“1000 Kilometers…” Kern said reading the captains monitor on the spacious bridge.

The ship grew ever closer, and began to rock violently as it hit a particularly tough spot.

“800 kilometers…” Kern said, but he suddenly turned his head, as if something came through that he’d missed at a distance.

The ship bucked harder this time, and the R4 unit screeched as a warning beacon sounded.

“What’s happening!?” Kern demanded realizing that there was something more then just gravity at work. Something was there, he could feel it, just beyond him. 

“I’m losing engine 4, damn. Hold on, compensating”, Yava said as she worked the controls.

As Yava went to work, Kern stretched out, and sensed something ahead of them, a presence, a powerful taste of darkness just at the fringes of his perception. It didn’t want them there, it was malevolent, and it probed them for weakness.

“No…there’s something reaching out-“ Kern announced cryptically, he stood up from his place and tried to get a bearing on the presence.

“400 Kilometers, there isn't anything on sensors, could it be rogue gravity well?” Yava asked, trying her best conceal her worry.

“… it’s more than gravity. Damn all the saints in all the hells! There is something out there, and it doesn't want us here.” Kern said angrily and then began to push back, using his anger at being opposed, to form the same protective field around the vessel as he would in combat against a force user. It took more than his normal expenditure, but he managed to hold the field together, to resist whatever was assailing them. The power that came at them didn’t like being pushed back, and renewed it’s assault. Kern channeled his will into keeping whatever it was at bay, it was strong, but he could tell that it wasn’t prepared to stop them at this distance.

"200- If it pushes us to far off course, we'll be-"

"Keep going! I can hold it!" Kern barked out, as he continued to manage to hold things together with his every thought. 

“I won’t be able to compensate much-“ Yava stopped as she saw the strain on Kern’s face. Kern’s face was strained, the large stitches that held some of his skin together being stretched slightly unnaturally. Kern’s entire body was framed by the partial Sith armor and Kesh blood red tribal markings that highlighted his face. He was now dressed for war, his vital areas protected by simple blaster armor, and other flex points padded with blast resistant joints. He was every bit the Sith apprentice she'd agreed to follow. She could not conceive of the carnage he had inflicted to gain such honors, of the violence he was capable of dispensing in order to achieve his aims. 

Yava she looked back at the red indicators, suddenly everything went green. “Ok.. I don’t know what you’re doing, but keep doing it.” She announced as she continued to pilot the vessel.

“Don’t give me orders, just get to the docking... port.” Kern said grimacing. Ignoring temporarily the flagrant disrespect. 

Whoever you are, you will not stop me, my will…my will is…my will is stronger!

Perspiration had begun running down his pale forehead, mixing with the red paint that marked his brow leading to a blood like stain running down the side of his face. He reached out with his hidden and black gloved mechanized hand, firmly gripping the arm rest with all the power it possessed to keep himself steady. It was another scar from his old master that would need be repaid in full; the power that lay before him would be used for just such revenge. 

“50 Kilometers!”

The ship finally got within range, and then began a pre-programmed snap turn, the final few meters closed, and the engines of the large freighter strained to stop just short. Kern felt the ship hurdle sideways, and his regal half cape, a sign of his royal lineage, flapped in the same direction as the shifting gravity. 

“Hang on!” Yava yelled out, she tapped the control for the final sequence and the engines strained to slow their approach, and stop them from colliding too fast.

“Contact in five... four... three... two-!” Yava announced as Kern concentrated as hard as he could to defy whatever being wished to deny him harbor.

Edited by Fynn Relmis

• 2 weeks later...

The ship rocked as it connected with the massive vessel forcefully. A moment passed, Kern opened his eyes and smiled broadly. They had succeeded.

“Excellent.” Kern said pleased with the effort of his new convert.

“Thank whatever god’s you pray to... we made it.”  Yava said as she looked over the counsel and let out a sigh of relief.

“I never doubted you for a moment. Save your prayers for my enemies.” Kern said with an air of confidence, as he wiped the drying trail of blood red ink from his eye and cheek.

Kern stood from his place, and took in the situation. The ship had successfully docked, but there was damage, as a few red indicators showed stress fractures In the hull. The R4 droid chirped and registered the problems, it began rattling off the worst of it. Yava began to scan the Vigilance in earnest.

"The ship seems dead, the power is on-line but most of the systems are off, life support is just barely functioning." She reported. the astromech unit finally completed it's assessment, Yava quickly analyzed the results.

“Issues?” He asked after a time.

“Nothing too bad, but it’ll take some time to fix. Maybe two or three hours? Hyper-drive will be a little longer.” Yava said quickly assessing the reports.

“Are you-” She looked at Kern to take her que. Kern admired her spirit, only days earlier she’d allowed the murder of her stubborn captain on his urging. Now he could feel her competence, and was more assured of her competence than ever. He’d learned how to motivate his followers on Kesh, and use the darkside to coordinate their efforts in battle and enmasse. The technique was much easier on microscale.

“Quite alright. The pain is quite helpful, the bolts in my flesh were driven into my skull as perfect reminders of why I’m here. This ship was the ultimate jedi and republic weapon forged to hammer the Sith into irrelevance. IT's fitting that I should take it's treasures back to the Sith, and end it's wretched existence. It will be a reminder to all of the superiority of the Sith, and bring me a measure of prestige I might add.”

The bolts were reminders of his past failures, a painful and angry signal that he had once allowed himself to be moved by compassion and love, only to be rewarded with failure and regret. It was the end of the road for all Jedi, one of the many reasons he hated them so. 

“Now, best move quickly, my success is your success... and I have a sense that we won’t have this place to ourselves for long. It likely has internal alarms that will alert others to our presence.” Kern said as he began to exit the bridge.

“What are you going to do?” Yava asked as she turned around.

“Prepare myself to deal with whatever it is that has inhabited this vessel, and anything else that stands between me and my prize.” Kern said sternly with a determined tone as he moved off the bridge.

Kern entered the engineering compartment, and began his preparation. His armor was in fine shape, but he knew that he would need more then competent armor to deal with whatever tricks the Jedi infested vessel might have. He inspected his two lightsabers preparing them for the fights to come. First he examined the sickly pale yellow blade that had been gifted him on Kesh, with a handle made from durasteel and shards of Keshiri bone. It was light and nimble, the perfect blade to accompany his efforts against multiple threats. Offhand, or hidden until the right moment Light-ender was a nasty suprise. He had to replace both weapons since being defeated by Skye in his last encounter, but the supplies on Kesh made it a simple task. The other Usrpers' Bane was now fistuned with the teeth of Morrigal. The Blade with a vibrant blood red blade sparked to life with little effort. It was slightly longer than the average saber, with a crystal that was synthetic and it’s hilt had been reinforced with several layers of Keshiri smelted iron. Not as strong as Durasteel, but layered for maximum affect. Attaching both to an obscured utility belt by his hip, Kern turned his attention elsewhere.

Kern then looked to his forearm and hand that hid the bionic and incredibly well-crafted replacement. The fake flesh was almost perfect, and hidden behind black gloves and mesh, were several hidden compartments had been fashioned to store various lethal and non-lethal weapons. First there were the poison darts soaked in Krayt venom, and a version of Sith poison brewed carefully on Kesh by his acolytes. The poison would slowly incapacitate, shutting down one system at a time in moments, until the target was reduced to a drooling mess on the ground. He’d taken his cues from Faust, the Sith lord who’d he’d allied with for a time. He had to admit, the man had a flair for poison, and Kern had adopted its use to powerful affect.

He had to thank his old master for one thing… as Skye’s knowledge was extremely helpful, and the memories of how the force affected the various parts of the body made Kerns’ brew especially potent. He knew exactly how most Jedi efforts worked in order to cleanse their system, but these efforts would only force the poison to become even more toxic, as the darkside would only spread further into the bloodstream. He thought it a perfect irony, the same techniques used to heal and bring about dazzling transformations would now bring such darkness. He loaded dozens of the tiny darts into a hidden cartridge that would be guided by a stealthy system of force projection. They could be shot almost silently, it’s trajectory disguised by his own will.

Finally he prepared the plain lacquered red and black mask that covered his head and contained a hidden breathing and filter apparatus with several hours of breathable oxygen in a small tank, and in another something more sinister. At first glance it was a traditional warrior’s mask from the Keshiri, made from the metal of his enemies' weapons. The Keshiri steel facade was perfect for keeping enemies guessing as to what and who they faced.

IT didn’t look Sith in origin, but rather exotic, tribal, and unsettling with a large gaping jaw and red eyes covered with a flash proof material, ideal for blocking stun grenades, and other bright flares. The second minuscule tank would issue forth a green acidic knock-out gas from it’s exaggerated maw with one application of the force to specific button hidden in the right spot. It would cause the lungs of whoever was close enough to react by constricting and contracting. Breath enough, and you’d be unconscious inside a minute, without aide, and the anti-venom, you’d die within hours. It would be effective against those who had not mastered jedi breathing, and distracting even for those that had. It was from Kesh that most of his weapons originated, foreign and alien to most of the galaxy, giving him a needed edge. 

Kern had fashioned Kesh to be a Sith stronghold, but without further support from the Sith he had to make do with lower grade weaponry and armors. With his rise, it too would become important in the Sith empire, no longer a simple backwater to retreat to. For someone with his power and will the title of Baron was not enough, to be a fully-fledged Darth, to be more than a forgotten afterthought, drew him to push ever onwards, surviving where others had fallen and faded. He had heard the reports of the new Sith King, and together with the other Sith Lords who were officially part of his provenance the new empire was stronger than ever before. The jedi he had no awareness of. He figured they had to be licking their wounds on some backwater moon, but sooner or later he would face them, and he couldn't wait to share some of his new arsenal with them. 

Kern was separate however, a thirteenth Sith on his own, not truly accepted within the Hierarchy. He could muster no real fleet accept the handful of light frigates and fighters he’d managed to procure through back channels. Still his legions of faithful fanatics he’d prepared on Kesh were useless in an interstellar war. That would change however. The darkside told him as such years before, and now the pieces were coming together. He would bend the knee to this new king, present him with gifts unmatched by the others. His acquisition of the relics on the Eternal Vigilance, from the once proud flagship of his brothers and sisters greatest foe would elevate him beyond his current irrelevance.

The darkside was his ally though, it fueled his thoughts, motivated his anger and hate, and propelled him forwards towards victory. Power would wait for him, it would be his eventually... he simply had to be ready to grab it when it came.  

His personal armament ready, Kern now got acquired several other items for the trip, a series of stun mines, and lighting flares. Lastly some hastily assembled explosives, made from several benign chemicals in the freighters hold. His time as an Alliance special forces soldier was invaluable, as explosives and bombs were still second nature to him. He found himself actually enjoying the creation of such devices, considering the rampant carnage and chaos they could cause.

Kern's methods were an amalgam if techniques, from efficient assasinations, to brutal combat. But he was most proud of a Sith's most potent weapon... his mind.

Finally complete after a day of preparation, Kern left the engineering bay to rest, and ready himself for the task ahead. Something aboard the Eternal Vigilance resisted their approach, and Kern was determined to overcome it, by any means necessary.

Edited by Fynn Relmis

• 3 weeks later...

Darkness, the natural state of all things... then all at once, a deep glow began to permeate the docking port... it was imperceptible at first, but slowly the light source grew, and the then sparks showered through as a red blade cut through the darkness illuminating the entryway and the hallway beyond. This process repeated half a dozen times, each time the heavy armor of the blast door that locked out the entryport to any who would seek to enter the hallowed ground of the jedi. Finally, the heavy door was compromised, and an application of the force saw a round segment of the heavy door sent flying into the cavernous hallway beyond.  The round chunk edges glowed a fiery red, as it began to cool, shedding an eerie darkness. 

On the other side of the door, a small number of crew members from the freighter stood ready in oxygen helmets and suits. Kern stood behind them in the dimly lit portal. Deactivating his primary saber, he folded his arms and turned to pacing back and forth, impatiently. 

Yava spoke up after taking readings for a moment, her sedate and calm voice piercing through the comm system between suits and to Kern. "Still nothing, but I am getting movement, about 100 meters in that direction, could be someone, or it could be a wamprat." Yava said confirming it once more.

"So what now, we just stand here?" The young twilek crewmen said angrily. 

"Now we wait." Kern said as he took a breath from the work he'd labored at for what seemed like hours. The Eternal vigilance was now open to him, and he was about to enter as an unwanted guest. He imagined this scenario so many times... he had imagined the faces of everyone of his former folly, the looks on thier faces as he invaded with dozens of trained soldiers, and struck them down one by-

"How long?" the twilek piped up. 

"Have you ever heard the story of the Dreadbeast of Baklor?",Kern said after sighing and looking off into space.

"What...? No." The young man said at once.

"The Dreadbeast of Baklor was known as the most dangerous creature on Baklor... the beast ate anything it wanted, animals and men alike. IT killed anything it wished, until one day a group of warriors from a local kingdom came to slay it."

"Oh my gods a story... now?" Yava wondered aloud.

"The beast growled and thundered from it's cave but it would not come out."

"I don't-"

"The leader of the warriors Can'on decided that he didn't want to go first into the cave, and so he sent in his brother. Fod the foolish. Fod entered the cave and was immediately eaten. So then the warrior sent his sister, Der the First. Der entered the cave next, stealthily but no matter, for she too was eaten. This pattern continued until eventually Can'on himself entered. But the beast was so full at this point, that it was sluggish and tired, and Can'on slew the beast. He returned him victorious, and was given a castle and power beyond measure."

"What a terrible story, are all Sith this bad at telling stories." Anthyn grumbled, the young Twilek not amused by his story. 

"Do you know the moral of the story?" Kern said as he stopped in his tracks to stare at the young man. 

"I have no-" 

The twilek was swept off his feet and in one swift motion was sent hurdling through the void into the darkness of the room beyond. 

Yava burst out laughing, and continued to chuckle as the man dropped into barrel of old hazmat suits. 

"Never be too hasty." Kern finished as he motioned for the rest to enter as well. Then after a moment he entered as well. 

"The internal defenses appear to be off, for now" Yava said as she was careful to enter after Kern, keeping him within arm's reach. 

The room was still dark, but was now being lit by the illuminators of the various crew. The twilek got up helped by his other crew members. 

"The items I seek will be in the sanctum of the vessel, likely near the quarters of the old Masters, possibly the jedi council room itself." 

"Should we follow-?" Yava asked.

"No, best continue the repairs, I will continue alone. Keep the comm line open, I may need to leave quickly. If anyone else shows, just say you're salvaging a part to repair the ship." Kern ordered and then continued alone. 

"And see that young Anthyn is looked after, his anger amuses me." Kern said with a smile, that only he could see. 

---

Skye has given me mentoring in the ways of Healing...But shes more of a companion than a teacher to me. What's on your mind...

I'm guessing you've alot of questions...

You see, the Jedi are afraid. They're afraid of the Dark Side because it is so powerful ...because it is the eventuality of all things. 

The Dark Path is the truth, the path for those with sight of reality. Eventually you will understand.

The words played in his mind as he carefully made his way to the first major junction on the ship. It enraged him to be taunted by unwanted memories, but he supposed being on the vessel of the jedi was sure to elicit strong emotions. 

The ship was a muddle. The darkside and the light were in conflict here, it felt like a battlefield with no casualties. Kern concentrated, looking for the presence he'd felt earlier.

"Show yourself..." He said aloud, sensing a fleeting presence that seemed elusive. 

Edited by Fynn Relmis

"Ahh... so you can speak." Kern said as the voice manifested. The strong and unmistakable presence of the darkside filled his lungs, pushed passed muscles and into his sinews, but the darkness here was different. It was like a dark chasm, with endlessness, the maw itself seemed to fuel it. and it seemed to peer into his very depth of his being. It was unending fathomless pain... and It was exhilarating.

"I was wondering how long you would hide yourself, I admire your stealth. It's not many who can hide from me so effectively." He continued, as the voice guided him to follow the pathetic shambling shells of the once living. Their original forms were long since twisted into shapes that no natural process could create, and Kern found himself marveling at their hideousness. Whatever animated them, clearly had tremendous power. The thing were not alive, yet they were not truly dead either. 

"Fascinating, you used the darkside to accomplish this? Truly ingenious." Kern said genuinely jealous of the beings abilities. This was a power that was not within his grasp... yet. He desired to learn it, to create the same monstrosities. The idea of them was intriguing. To control the living was relatively simple, a string pulled here a manipulation of the mind there, but controlling the dead or un-living? This was a power that Kern had witnessed only once before. He was almost in admiration for...

"Fynn..."

The being used a jedi name, a name foreign and alien to him. Kern felt a supreme urge to murder it with the utterance. It was a supreme disrespect, to mention such a weak and feeble thing that once inhabited his form.

"You mistake me for...a pathetic jedi? Most insulting. Your 'records' are out of date, whoever or whatever you are. That person no longer exists, he was burnt away in the depths of Coruscant by the Dark Lord Furion. My name is Baron Kern, subjugator of the unknown regions... I come to claim this ship and all it's contents for the Eternal Kingdom of the Sith." Kern said sternly, only subjugating his rage to continue speaking. Kern remained ready, but considering that the being had so far treated him cordially, he kept his weapons at bay. 

As Kern moved along to where the beings guided him, he recognized the bodies of former republic soldiers, and even some former jedi robes of minor assistants and attendants to the order. Whatever the being was had managed to overcome them all, and installed itself at the heart of the vessel.

"What are you? No jedi certainly, but not Sith... speak to me, have you claimed this vessel?"

Edited by Fynn Relmis

• 4 weeks later...

“There's something out there.” Yava, said coolly, as she studied the sensors on the bridge.

“What? No chance, who would be stupid enough to-” the Twilek responded

“We shoud just leave, I mean what's he going to-” the mechanically inclined Trandoshan chimed in. Kajun had been hesitant to resist Kern, but the situation had clearly changed.

“We leave him and we'll be running from the Sith for the rest of our lives. I don't know about you but I like not being tortured to painful slow death. You weren't there when they invaded Coruscant, trust me serving them is far better then not.” Yava said, remembering the awful image of the murderous rampages from years before.

“Now shut up, both of you.” Yava said to two crew as they went about repairs. She hit the comm button on the command chair to send the signal as she'd been instructed.

“We picked our side already. There's a ship out there alright, and it's probably jedi. Shut off all power except shields and life support, that will give us time-” She instructed quickly.

“But what good will-” Twilek barked back.

“Well it might... It'll lower our power signature. With any luck the radiation of the cluster will blind them to our presence. And if they do scan us she wants them to see a barely functioning ship with no weapons and little defenses, no threat to them.”  Kajun said as Yava began making adjustments.

“Fine, remember a few days ago when we were just running illegal spice.” The Twilek said as he left the bridge.

“If they think were in league with Kern the jedi will kill us, just a little faster.” the old Trendoshan said worriedly.

“Just do your job. Kern has a few surprises for them, and he's promised me this whole damn ship when we're done, I'm not about to screw this up.” Yava said feelingly slightly sorry for the fools that would dare cross Kern.

---

Baron Kern listened intently standing in his simple Keshiri armor and mask that covered his face save his eyes which remained temporarily exposed. He heard the old man prattle on about his minions and his dominion over the vessel. It took him a moment to consider the words, and take in the breadth of his abilities. The control of corpses was a neat trick, but it wasn't the grand mastery that it appeared to be. The tendrils of the darkside that animated the forms was a simple mimicry.

Though if you wish to serve a Dark Lord, there are treasures enough here that you may have.

Kern was silent for a moment as the old man stopped speaking. Then he let out a small chuckle, it slowly turned into a boisterous hearty belly laugh, that finally became a roaring torrent of amusement.

“I'm... sorry, are you finished?” Kern said after a moment. “I just didn't expect-” He said trying to compose himself. He casually dropped the satchel he carried on the ground, and turned away from the old man to look at his 'servants'.

“You are entertaining... truly, but you don't frighten me. You are but a toothless old sage roaring at the volcano as it rumbles in the distance. You don't know what is coming for you.” Kern said as he tapped a button on his sleeve, activating a trap that he'd set in the landing bay area remembering mention of the arrival of others.

Kern shook his head slowly as he folded his arms in disgust. After a moment, the closest servant of the archivist suddenly ceased up, it's body contorting in different unnatural ways, powered by Kern's own manipulations... until finally the darkside ripped the body apart as it screeched, scattering it's bits to the far corners of the massive room as pieces dark red and black viscera now the only signs of it's former existence. The display of power was a simple warning. The darkness here had amplified his power, making it far easier to call upon the force to do his bidding.

“Your 'legion' is pathetic. Send them...send ten times there number, and I could still cleave that bulbous block you call a head from your shoulders before you can mouth the word 'mercy'. You've captured a vessel? How quaint. Truly a triumph. I have bathed in the blood of myriad upon myriad who thought to resist me. I have broken more beings then you have dreamt of. I need no vast array of mindless undead minions to do my bidding.” Kern announced. His will was focused, his goal in sight, his entire being ready to accomplish his task.

He turned back to the man with eyes as red as the molten core of Kesh itself. It was a flash at the raw power at his beckon call, a deep seething cauldron of hatred that emanated from a place darker then any black hole, Kern himself. He walked past the zombified beings with sullen confidence. He heard a small beep in his helmet, finally, he had expected guests.

“Now, as for the jedi? I have felt there coming since before I arrived here, my entire voyage has been foreordained. Do you imagine that you are the only one with vision and means? You think you know Darkness? Pure arrogance. The Sith ARE darkness. Powers vast, unknowable, and unsympathetic have brought me here, and you dare stand in MY way? In the way of the Sith? Pure Folly.” Kern said with a clear promise. His anger rising as he spoke. Threats were for lesser beings, Kern did not threaten.

“The holocrons' are mine, and when the Jedi arrive, I will deal with them in my own inimitable way. If you assist in handing this vessel to the Sith, you will be accommodated, possibly rewarded. Resist... or attempt to intervene and you will be punished.” Kern said as he walked towards the holocrons that loomed before him, fascinated by their appearance. He could almost hear the recordings held deep within, ancient knowledge of Sith ways and methods that would pave his way to power beyond measure. 

Edited by Fynn Relmis
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"They ignored us..." Yava said grimly.

"Thank the maker..." The young twilek said plainly. As he breathed a sigh. 

IT was luck. "The Trandoshan said quickly. He went back to fixing the panel below the captains chair.

"Either way, were still here, how long on those repairs?" Yava asked firmly.

"Another hour, the motivator for the hyperdrive is-" the trandoshan mechanic said as sparks flew.

"Just hurry." Yava said as she strapped on a blaster and left the cockpit. She slipped a small utilty belt and pulled her dark hair back from her face. 

"Where are you going?" The young twilek asked as she hustled away. 

"I've got to stall them." Yava said sternly. She looked at the sensor panel and could see that Kern hadn't moved. 

"Thats crazy, they could be pirates, or commando's, or...or...or freaking jedi... what are you-"

"I don't know... but Kern is stuck somewhere in that ship, if we don't stall them they could board us or worse. So we stall." Yava replied resolutely.

"How!?" The twilek asked stunned.

"Like Kern told me... by telling them the truth." Yava said. As she left the bridge. 

---

"A child... and you are the wise elder? To teach the naughty child to mind his manners..." Kern said as he realized the quick force hold that the entity applied. A simple move, one that only a simpleton or novice in the force would be concerned with. How many times had he been here, aggrieved by a being or person that thought him inferior, that doubted his resolve, that questioned his power? How often had he been underestimated and discounted. The level of disrespect hurled his way by those who could not see his path, that did not have his vision enraged Kern beyond measure. But he contained his rage, he channeled it into ingots of fiery vengeance, it did not control him as it had when he had first turned. He had learned to use the fire, to turn it hotter, to make it his power... 

"So, another who doubts me, this grows tiresome." Kern said and with a simple turn of his head grasped the weapons of the zombified crew, the assembled blasters in their hands began firing wildly, Kern skillfully directed each blast away from himself, twisting in place with speed and agility as bolts flew past him as he concentrated on his own aim and accuracy. Finally he retrieved his shorter yellow light saber blade, flicking it to life with a quick hiss and using it to ward of anything that managed to get past his defense. Then he laid into the closest cretin with savage fury, moving from one to the next. As seconds passed, rows of the 'legion' began falling to blaster  shots that blew them in half, cut through their number, and accurate slices from from Kern's blade, forcing them to drop their weapons and writhe about armless, headless, and without mouths to scream. The assorted crowd wobbled as they fell over writhing in sickening other-worldly motions. One bolt managed to pierce his defense, a blast from what appeared to be a former pilot, shorter then the rest. Kern growled as the bolt permeated through his mask, burning a portion of the left side of his face above his temple. 

He was tiring of this delay, of this distraction. The last few undead malformed beings he grasped in quick succession, the pain of his minor wound inducing an even greater surge in his ability to draw from the darkside force. This had been a workday for him, but the injury made it personal... more direct. This was no longer an errand. He would inflict suffering on the being that dared stand against him, it would be more then mere revenge. Five of the remaining forms around him were distended beyond recognition, then they burst from the pressure of the direct and humbling power Kern directed. There bodies showered black and red viscera on him and the surroundings, their remnants lay strewn across the large room and bloody remains of intestines and sinews dripped from the ceiling. 

The scene was of unbridled gore, as Kern now focused on regaining his ability to walk. He struggled at first, but the force empowered him now, and finally his feet moved from his own will, past the simple yet effective move the entity had used. 

"Now then... where were you? Ah yes, challenging my identity as Sith, insulting my petulant rage? I have more then mere rage, I have purpose, I have will, and I have no need to prove myself to a pathetic old creature trapped in a cycle of regret and melancholy." The crowd now dispatched Kern reached out himself, using his concentrated anger to grasp the neck of the unholy being that had the audacity to challenge him. Kern began to use the force to peel back the layers of protection the being had erected for itself using the force, He found every crack, every crevice, and into each he poured even more pressure.  He approached the beings elevated position. "All my life I have encountered beings that have been nameless and vast in their presence, enigmatic and powerful... seeking to control me and my destiny, but now I have a chance to kill one... and I would know it's name before I do. Tell me... who were you before the deception began? Someone with small dreams and pathetic ambitions? A jedi perhaps? A lick-spittle, a lonely lost inconsequential cog in the vast machinery of the universe... so cold and alone that the loss of the ship turned you into this, this shadow... this mere wraith that seeks to humble me?" Kern said, as he stretched himself, look deeper into the feelings of the being had tried to massacre him with his minions. 

"In my time as Sith I have peered long into the darkness, Do you know what I discovered? I can see thoughts where others only see blackness, I can see desires and disappointments as clearly as others see the contours of land on a map. All those things you hide... all those things you felt are behind you... I see them, I use them, they become mine. You become mine, your thoughts your desires, your secrets, for some the burden they carry become their chains, chains that are for me to hold. You are not unknowable, you are not vast and cut off, far from it. The more you hide, the more you are laid bare, and the closer I get to-"   

That's when he felt them... they were like stabs to his heart, several new beings in the distance, force users, two... three? One was stronger the others more faint. They had slipped in unnoticed, thieves, robbers... brigands!

Damn...why hadn't Yava signaled...? Had he been betrayed? The whole ship was covered in so many damned vortices of the darkside and the force, he had missed them...

The time had gotten away from him... the jedi had approached unnoticed... he screeched internally, a wave of rage and anger disrupting his attempt to peer behind the vast curtain in front of him. There was no time for that now. 

"Damn... damn... damn... damn... damn it to hell! Always interruptions!" Kern said loudly. The attack on this thing would have to wait. "This isn't over... 'thing', when I have dealt with them, I will return for my prize... then you and I will finish this." Kern said, as he flicked his saber to life and sliced in half yet another of the beings minions who attempted to stand in his way, and left to enter the corridor that led away from the chamber.

---

Yava had just gotten clear of the boarding tunnel, when she spotted the three... she was dressed in the typical garb of cargo crew, a grey and black jumper with many pockets, and two belts for holding various tools. Her heavy boots and gloves were standard Corellian issue, as was the blaster a simple DH-16. Her long hair draped to her shoulders, framing a very pale face with dark piercing eyes.   

"Hold it!"

She said barked as she pulled the blaster from her hip, if they tried anything. If they were Jedi, she wasn't sure how effective this would be. Still she had to try. The small droid to there side was also of concern, but she recognized that this was no normal group of scavengers as she hoped. She moved from around a large fallen girder, and stood a dozen meters or so away, keeping her eyes locked on the motley group.

"No sudden moves tentacle face. Same for you kid, I don't like shooting people as a general rule, kids' even less but today is an unusual day." She said to the Kel Dor closest to her while holding her stance. She approached the teen slowly, looking the trio up and down.

"Now, you mind telling me who the hell you people are?" She demanded quickly, gritting her teeth, but keeping her distance.

Edited by Fynn Relmis

“This is a Jedi Ship. We are Jedi. You and yours must leave immediately, this is not a ship for scavenging.”

"Sure, just take it, not like I'll need to defend myself now that your here." Yava said sarcastically. Looking at the blaster that was now far from her hand.

"Look, what she said is true, but this ship was also left here, intentionally for a long time. The only people that are going to have any use for it is the Jedi, and if you're looking for a salvage claim or anything, they're likely going to be your best option for getting some kind of reward out of this floating metal heap. But that also only happens...if you work with us. So...how about we put the blaster away, yeah?"

"Oh my maker... are you two doing a good guy bad guy thing? Seriously? You guys need to swap notes on negotiations... this old routine was stale before the old republic days."

Yava went to her shirt pocket, "Relax guys, it's not a thermal detonator, its just a death stick." Yava said as she one out and began taking it in. "So you're the big bad Jedi?" She asked, walking towards Aidan slowly, stopping only when she got within a two meters of the woman with saber.  

"I must do nothing, you aren't in charge here, and this hasn't been a Jedi ship for a long time. Look around... do you see anything here that resembles some great Jedi stronghold? It's a derelict, forgotten, full of lost things and lost people. If I wanted salvage rights, you'd have to kill me, my crew, blow up my ship... You think that thing is supposed to scare me? I've seen a lot worse...recently." Yava said undaunted by the saber piercing the darkness. 

"So let's see, force powers check, sense of moral superiority check... unbearably naive... double check." Yava said sharply. 

"Yup, your Jedi alright. Last I heard you were like being hunted by Sith, or are you  Imperial knights now?... I'm not really a news person." Yava said as they checked every box Kern had told her about. 

"First...I'm not salvaging anything, and second I didn't even know this ship was here until a few days ago. Hell, If I had my way I'd be in a Sauna on Corellia being pampered... instead I'm at the arse-end of the galaxy being confronted by you people." Yava said undaunted by the woman's posturing. 

"So now what? You cut me in half and eject me out the airlock or do you want to tell me your names, I tell you mine and we talk about this like normal people?" Yava asked as she turned away from the trio, and leaned against a broken Gonk Droid on it's back.  

Edited by Fynn Relmis

"Aidan." Yava repeated his name back to him, and then turned to the female jedi, the apparent leader. 

"Sandy Sarna." She did the same for the woman. Her voice almost carried a hint of recognition.

"Yava, Yava Warsaga." Yava replied as she looked over the trio. 

"Guess ol' squid face is 'feeling' the creep factor of this place too." She said noticing the third companion didn't speak. 

"Ships basically dead, our scans show the reactor is functional but powered down, plus there is way more movement then there should be... it's like the whole ship is filled with people, but we don't get any life signs. it's more then a little creepy." Yava said as she took another drag.

"Like I said, I'm not here for salvage rights, and I'm not looking to make any deals. Me and my crew aren't a part of your business, but we were hijacked in deep space by-" she stopped all at once, noticing the the young kid casually moving off, but trying desperately to look like he wasn't. Classic, why was it always the kids who did the stupid? 

"-Um... I wouldn't wander off if I were you!" Yava said as the young man began to do precisely that. 

"See the thing is, this whole docking area-" Yava continued with a long drag on the stick clutched in her slender fingers. 

"-covered in traps." She finished shaking her head as to his foolishness.

"And before you ask, No, I don't know how they work, or what they'll do when they go off, and I'd just as soon not find out." She said taking another drag. 

"Now, you want to make a deal? Ok... I'll go. Put down your light-saber, and walk out of here. That's the deal. Dissappear, scurry back home and tell your other little Jedi friends you couldn't find this place. It's the best I can do." Yava said with eyes of someone who had seen more then she was willing to say. There was a deep darkness to her face, as if her voice wasn't entirely her own, and her actions even less so. Her defiance was undaunted. As if anything they could do was nothing to what was behind her thoughts. 

There was a groan in the distance, as if some large metal girder had begun to bend unnaturally, it could have been the natural forces of gravity trying to pull the ship apart, or it could have been something else, but with all of the swirling vortices of the darkside dancing from every shadow, there was no way to tell. Yava had turned to hear it as well, but then she slowly turned back, her earlier playfulness almost vanishing.

"You're all running out of time..." Yava said hauntingly.

---

Aidan...

I am Sandy Sarna of the Jedi Order and Rebel Alliance.

Sandy... 

Sandy... 

The name, I know that name... why do I know that name... I know that name... 

Kern turned the name over in his mind, ripping it's syllables to shreds, filtering each sound as if it were a puzzle to be solved. The revelation darkened his thoughts.

Of course... the same... the one and the same...

The stage, the audience, everything just as it should be. 

Kern activated two buttons on his armlet, placing several of his little surprises into the armed position. He stretched his neck once, and smiled, feeling as if he'd been given a tremendous gift. The dark-side was indeed bountiful in it's offerings. The time was almost at hand... 

Edited by Fynn Relmis

"Come out then Sith."

"If what you and your crew desire is freedom, TRUE freedom, then help yourselves by helping us." 

"You want to kill him, don't you? Me too... but he's always in my head. Doesn't matter where I go, or what I think... he's there. I hated it at first, but over time... you get used to it, it's warm... like standing next to a lava flow, at any time that lava could burn you to a cinder but it doesn't. It's terrifying... but you learn to like it." She said to Sandy as she dropped the last bit of the death stick and rubbed it into the ground with her boot. 

There was a moment where the air seemed still. Where it seemed as if she would receive a reply. That some voice would answer her. But there was nothing a but a hollow thud and metal clang of metal in the darkness, and something out of sight that seemed to shift, the air seemed disturbed, as some small and insect like thing skittered past them in the darkness. The pair of Jedi could feel the force shift at the edge of their perception, a shadow that seemed to dance just out of reach. In the distance an airlock door crashed and snapped into a locked position. The heavy clanging sound was repeated a second time, and then a third. There was another sound, a slow and low whistle... steady and smooth.

Yava looked intently at the other Jedi, her head tilted to the side as she took another drag of the death stick.

"This ' true' freedom your talking about? What is it exactly? Can you eat it? Can you touch it? Will it keep you warm in the vacuum of deep space?"

"My business is carrying stuff, one place to another...people want stuff, we get them stuff... and in my line of work if you can't touch it, then it ain't really there, and if it isn't there... then it doesn't exist. Freedom? Freedom is just a word people with power like you and your boss lady over there made up to keep us arguing over scraps. You keep your freedom, way things are going, it won't mean much." Yava spat a loogie on to the ground in front of the Jedi and turned back to Sandy. 

"I gave you my help already. That death stick... pretty much helped me burn off the toxin. But I guess I took in.... to much-" Yava voice was growing increasingly agitated, but then it stopped. 

A sudden gust of wind seemed to come from no where and everywhere all at once. Yava was stopped in her tracks. In another moment she dropped to her knees, her eyes looking surprised and then tranquil as if she collapsing into a deep sleep. The air smelled different... it smelled acrid now. The slow increasing smell of something deeply organic and earthy now slowly turned into the stench of death. The smell was growing stronger, becoming overwhelming. This was no longer natural, it was heavier, harsher... and it began striking at the pairs lungs. Even the Kel Dor's antiox mask was not completely immune, but for how long it would hold up was in question. 

"Out of ti-" her last words were muted, as if carried on a tiny shallow breath of her form. There was a final word, a name that was barely audible.

Kern...

---

A voice cried out to Aidan as he tried to find his way back. The voice was many things, like a light beam being being split through a prism. Whatever the voice was, it was in pain, panicked, fearful. 

Hello!... is someone there...!? Please Help!

The voice rattled through the hallway... bouncing from surface, it's echo's unnatural and strained. The source seemed to be a locked hatch door just to his right. A door where only the bottom portion was held open by a large fallen girder it's weight clearly in a precarious position. A life was in jeopardy... it cried out in the force. It was bleeding, it's energy ebbing... something was dying, and soon it would be no more. It squirmed, it struggled, it clung to life begging to be saved. 

Someone had survived, beyond all odds, a pilot, or an officer, someone small and insignificant had survived. The person was there, but they were in mortal danger.

"Hurry! I cant-" the voice pleaded, begged, but then suddenly stopped... frozen as if silenced by something terrifying and sharp in darkness. The girder began to shift, and in a moment it would slam down, slamming shut the chance of survival for whatever was trapped. There was very little time to decide, save whatever it was, or allow it to be forever ended. Join his friends, or attempt to save this precious life from it's final fate.

Edited by Fynn Relmis

The rush of wind stopped all at once, as the tendril of the force that Sandy had reached out with grabbed hold of something in the darkness and shadows. The powerful presence seemed to stop all at once, suspended in a moment, paused like a boulder falling over just before being pulled by gravity into an inexorable fall. A deep guttural growl pierced the air, and a the words of an unknown tongue floated through their ears and the force itself, a dark curse and rumination that sounded less like words, and more like the cries of a beast as it prepared to strike at it's cornered prey. 

"R'the Ly'ru anjma grol'tha!"

This unknown language was the tongue of the Kesh, in particular a phrase that had no translation into galactic basic, a dark ominous spell that was an invocation of a people to whom life and death had no purpose, only the pursuit of battle and conquest. The phrase was a promise, and an invitation, a call to a deep instinct in all beings that were mortal... a reminder that death was near. The wave of fear and panic that washed forth was all-encompassing, a feeling of malaise and unease that was all but overwhelming. It was like some great number of people were about to die, and could do nothing about it.

Then with a violent reversal, the force which Sandy expended came back upon her with lighting speed, but instead of a gentle tug, this was monumental push. Her power had been absorbed, refracted through one of the vortices of the darkside, and shot back at the pair as a wave of debris and metal fragments, broken droid parts and cargo containers, and the ragged remains of bodies separated in torrent of upheaval. The darkside rolled towards the two Jedi like a tidal wave rising ever higher eventually reach the ceiling of the docking bay area, the sound of crashing metal upon metal almost deafening. Yava's unconscious form was nearly dragged into it as it approached Sandy's defiant position but at the last possible moment the wave subsided, leaving a clear if messy path towards a lone figure at the far end of the room.

The figure wore an unsettling mask, covered in markings of a culture unknown to any save a few, it's exaggerated features protruded with sharp angles and from it's eyes, seemingly devoid of life, emanated two darkly crimson and fiery iris's, glowing in there intensity. A short blood red half cape fluttered behind it's shoulder, a mark of royalty, and beneath the mask a body covered with a strange foreign armor it's true contours obscured by darkness and only illuminated by Sandy's lightsaber, and the hot red glow of the eyes. The sex of the being was hard to determine, the tall figure itself was almost asexual, giving nothing away.

"Now, now. Sandy, your old master would never have approved of such idle threats of destruction...would she?",the Sith said in a mildly corrective tone that was darkly scolding and foreboding. 

The wreckage and debris still hung in the air, suspended as if on invisible strings, tied together only by the manipulation of the force and the sheer reverberation of power the Sith in front of them was exuding. Sandy's defense held, but the Kel Dor was then struck by an armature of some large docking mechanism. The jedi's unconscious form was dragged into nearby shipping container, and the lid slammed shut tightly. Then a moment later the container was flung and crashed into the far corner, lodged in place by an even heavier girder.

"Alone at last. I bid you welcome to my ship, sister. Do make yourself at home. You'll forgive me, I haven't had time to tidy up... it's been a rather long day."  The voice was altered slightly by the mask and the vocalizer within added a raspy sheen to it's tone, the edges of the words slicing though the air with precision. It was then the body of Yava was picked up by the force, and deposited near the mysterious figure. Yava was gently laid at their feet as if she were to be an offering to the heathen gods.

"I'm so pleased you have finally arrived. With an auspicious occasion such as this... allow me to prepare the setting." The figure said solemnly as it stood stone still it's form only moving slightly as it breathed, it raised a gloved hand, and with a flick of a wrist, several containers and smaller pieces of debris flew to a place near Kern's position, they quickly formed a small throne, several levels elevated the chair, with an odd assortment of desiccated bodies and droid parts, forming a short series of steps, finally coming together just as the Sith non-nonchalantly climbed them and sat down. As they did so, the debris hanging in the air fell, piece by piece, raining in neat little piles that stacked up and formed a long causeway devoid of anything except bare metal flooring. 

"Now I believe we have much to discuss." The figure said as it leaned back on the makeshift throne slightly, it's intensely glowing eyes staring intently at the Jedi, shining like two red-hot coals peering down on her. 

---

As Aidan approached, the feeling of panic increased, finally he could make something out pinned under a fallen metal container. The figure was still almost in darkness. They were tantalizing close, and just as he came close enough to see...

A metallic click alerted him to a trap. Before he could react, even with his attuned senses, the Sith device spewed forth from a nearby counter top. The gust of toxic air blasted him in the face, and and acrid smell of toxin and poison filled his nose... 

The figure he was moving towards was revealed. A desiccated corpse of a jedi youngling, trapped in the final moments of life. It's dried skin was black and cracked. It's hand outstretched in pain and anguish. It was clear that it had scratched long scars into the metal flooring within it's reach, as it attempted to crawl free... it's last moments of panic and fear had forever trapped itself in endless loop of the darkside, an attempt in vain to free itself using the forbidden powers at it's disposal. It was a perfect place to set a trap.

Now there were voices... voices that screeched aloud to him, the sounds of anger and pain and fury that poured into his ears, past his physical ears, to a place within his core... each screech and guttural yell the sound of someone dying with no relief in site. 

"You came too late..." the voices scolded. A trio of figures approached him, shadows that had form but no real shape. As they grew closer, they formed sharp relief in the darkness, outlined by an unseen energy beyond all reckoning. 

"You didn't save us..." A large statuesque figure loomed over him, almost tree like. It's voice boomed, as it took shape.

"You couldn't help us and you can't help your friends..." said another smallish form, almost childlike in appearance. Suddenly the scene changed, and Aidan was transported to another place, somewhere cold and and barren, a field of dying brown grass... and burning fire belched onto distance cities in the distance as a monumental war took place in skies above. In the distance, a spire that looked like the jedi stronghold on Courscant fell to the ground, as many voices screamed in violent death.

"Aidan!" The regular size figure finally materialized. "What the hell are you playing at? You really think that you are worthy of carrying my name pulling stunts like this?" the visage of his father stood light-saber in hand at the long end of the room, arm's folded disapprovingly. 

Edited by Fynn Relmis

"Damn… you were holding that in for a while ‘eh son? I never-" The form of his father seemed oddly pleased with his son, a but before he could respond his form was split in two by a red lightsaber in the hands of a Sith wearing an odd mask and appearing from the smoke of the fighting.

“Father figures always find a way to disappoint, even after death-", said the figure, as it slowly retreated from him.

His fathers’ torso slid forward, his life leaving him. His face contorted into brutal agony, but instead of organs and burnt viscera, the man’s body quickly turned to ash as an errant turbo laser sliced down from on high to extinguish ground troops. The explosion obscured everything, splattering Aidan with dirt and the ashes of his father.

The scene suddenly grew more intense, the battle field around him was filled with soldiers and combat, but it was difficult to see emblems and uniforms, the weaponry was uniform, as if the fight was between the same side, a civil conflict with no end in sight. All that pierced the smoke was the sound of death and violence. The Sith was gone, replaced now by a monumental struggle. The sky grew darker, and everything around Aidan seemed menacing and dangerous. Brutal firefights turned into struggles of life and death.

The field surrounding Aidan was filled with other figures, slowly approaching him. They were recognizable, Jedi of renown and honor, some alive others long dead or vanished. All of them surrounded him. Yet this was no comforting presence, this was something else.

"The counsel will come to order... we must discuss the sad matter of Sandy Sarna." Said a stern voice. Armenia Draygo took her place in front of him, directing the others to sit.

The figures all joined in a circle, about Aidan, but he was no longer alone, Sandy was there, but she was different. He recognized some of the old masters, past and present, but all of them were different... younger, stronger, more imposing. It was like a vision from fifteen years prior brought into the present.

Even Sandy… Sandy who stood in center of the circle next to him seemed younger, almost childlike. But she didn’t flinch as her fate was discussed.

"What say you Master Kirlocca?" asked his mother who looked on Sandy disapprovingly.

The darkside I feel in her...a true shame, but she must be destroyed. the tall Jedi suddenly morphed into a somehow hairier form. “She carries a seed of the darkside deep within, when it takes root… it will mean death and horror for many.”

"We must end her connection with the force, by any means necessary." Said a solemn Darex Trevalian.

Adenna spoke up finally. “Then it is agreed, she must be made one with the force.” His mother grabbed her own special saber, and approached.

Slowly, they all raised there sabers activating them at once...forming a long line of powerful masters all with one goal in mind... ending Sandy. The rush was on, and in short order they all attacked.

Sandy readied herself activated her small saber, and in a flurry of strikes began to defend herself in earnest.

“Aidan!-“ her cries for help were undeniable.

---

Kern sat patiently as Sandy clenched her jaw. Her response was jarring at first, he'd expected her to do what most Jedi would do given her situation, parlay, discuss terms, offer a pitiful argument as to why he should surrender. But instead she went straight into action, hurling herself and with force towards him at a speed that no ordinary being could anticipate... but Kern was no ordinary being. On the contrary his instinct of primal defense had not diminished with the passing of time, and given her slight warning, he already sensed from experience that she was would follow her initial wave with a fiery attack. He was delighted to see how quickly she resorted to such a beautiful display of violence. Sister indeed... 

~PEACE IS A LIE~ 

Perhaps She had hoped to catch him off his guard, to put an end to a conflict before it truly began. Sandy was ignorant however, Kern had positioned his place at the precise spot where the darkside was strongest. He had learned from long years of hard fought battles, and his failure to defeat his old master to always place himself where he had the superior position. Her lack of vision and knowledge of the darkside would be her true undoing. While her opening salvo was impressive it was also foolhardy... and deeply disrespectful. He loved it. He thirsted for the thrill of violence, growing stronger each passing instant as it grew tantalizingly near. 

Kern did nothing at first, seemingly awaiting the arrival of the many projectiles placidly, as if resigned to his fate. He thought of his complete and lingering hatred for everything the woman assaulting him represented, a deep and uncontrollable rage that seethed through every pore of his being for those that had so chained his power, and had for so long poisoned his mind with lies. The immense power at his disposal crackled beneath his skin, as he drew that power into a colossal schism of darkside energy, then at the precise moment of her apex... he released it with simple raise of a clenched fist. The energy needed to stop her and the fragments was considerable, but the expenditure was a easily purchased by his careful planning. Yava was spared as well, the attack missing her position beneath Kern's feet. Still, the metal fragments parted mere inches from his face, and as the larger pieces clattered harmlessly off his armor and mask, several smaller pieces struck harder, but his armor would prevent most from doing any real damage other then superficial scratches. Kern had already turned his attention to the true threat, the form of the Jedi crashing in upon him. A clever rouse, yet Kern had known something like it was coming from the moment she clenched her sharp jaw.

“..L'yukstiwr!”

The ancient Sith curse emanated from Kern as he finally acted.

All at once Sandy's forward momentum was slowed by a complete shift in the force, as the very light she garnered for her attack evaporated as it grew closer to the enormity of the power she was challenging. With incredible speed, faster then She had charged at him in point of fact, a bright crimson blade snapped to life, catching Sandy's blade as He rose and halted Her attempted mortal strike. The darkness about Kern swallowed whole any hope She had of ending the fight quickly then and there. The blades crashed together with a horrible violence that jolted Kern and the vibrant red blade issued a slicing squall as He glowered at his would be slayer. He could sense the deep passion within her, a deep need to defeat him, anger seething at her Jedi friends hurt, fear over losing the other. Deep within there was an unsatisfied animal, just beyond her willingness to look. She would deny it of course, but Kern knew those feelings all to well and her true strength lay beyond. How easily they could be used...how quickly they could be harnessed. 

Kern held her blade back with his own saber in both hands. As he stood undaunted, he noticed a small shard of metal had found it's way to an protected spot near his shoulder. The wound was slight, but the injury was still a blow nonetheless. He would need to rely on the deep and unyielding darkness that was his true anchor to overcome this agile opponent. The sabers' screamed as they were caught in between the two forces, the only object between them and a quick and painful end. Fragments of light and dark danced in the darkened hangar, and sparks flew in all directions.

"Clever, but against my power? Useless." Kern informed as he towered over Sandy and shoved her back with a quick riposte of his saber. He shook his head and neck at once, like a dangerous beast preparing for the vicious fight to come.

"You have heart, but no passion. You have conviction... but no vision...you see only what I allow." He said seductively as he approached her.

"Let me show YOU!" Kern said as he engaged her fully using an advanced technique of a makashi form that had touches of intrinsic brutality. Then as he came forward, he was suddenly everywhere, his power seemingly attacking from every point in the room Sandy wasn't looking towards, He wasn't of course, but with the confused mess of the maw, Kern could reflect his energy into a half dozen attack vectors, using his experience to make her see shadows that weren't him, but carried his malice, another his anger and rage, and into another a deep sense of dread and hunger, then when at last he could feel her attempt to refocus, he advanced, with measured but powerful strikes that targeted her methodically, from her head, to her shoulders, to her midsection, then with a flourish Kern attempted a stabbing blow at her unprotected side. Now within range He pivoted, slamming a hardened knee directly at her midsection, followed by a gauntlet-ed fist to her chest, with enough force power behind it to crush a dozen sentient beings lungs in. Kern had tried thirteen once, but for some reason thirteen crushed rib cages was one too many. 

Such wonderful impudence.... She would not be rewarded kindly, but still Kern was intrigued, even delighted to have a true opponent to test himself against. If she wished to die, then Kern could oblige, as there was no glory without victory, and no victory without a sufficient challenge. Sandy did not know what she had awoken, and Kern was all to pleased to show her. Her death would be a triumph, a crescendo to an auspicious day.

(1)

Edited by Fynn Relmis

Patience... singular focus... deception... and finally ruthless aggression applied without mercy. These were the skills that had turned Kern from a neophyte in the darkside, into a Sith acolyte and if he prevailed far more. He was so much more then what this humble knight struggling to win this contest could imagine. A lesson had to be taught, a marker laid down as he had done so often before. The impudent and ignorant would be shown the truth, that true strength belonged to those who saw the galaxy for what it was, a gaping maw in which the only true divide was predator and prey. The Sith were supreme, Sandy would learn this... and so much more.

"Your Kel Dor friend will be a nice addition to my laurels... the Sith have need of good slaves. And young Aidan? I sense the blood of mastery in him, he will have his pick of the finest Sith Lord's for his lessons. Imagine the bidding war when I bring the son of Jedi masters to market If he survives? Of course these are fates that only you can save them from." Kern said twisting the knife with his words, with a condescending frown.

He felt the object she constructed coming, and while stopping it would have been child's play, a trap was set in motion in his mind. As it came towards him, Kern turned at the last moment possible, just enough to guide it's path with the force. The jagged tip of the small spear she had constructed seemed to strike home, plunging into the side of the mask, through skin and flesh, ripping blood vessels in Kern's cheek. He cried in mimicked agony, a cry of mortal terror and pain that reverberated through the entire ship. "AAGGH!" The mask itself flew clean off, clattering to the ground next to Sandy as He clutched his face in what seemed to be agonizing pain. His own blood splattered forward into Sandy's forehead and eyes. She could see his full visage now... something more then she expected.

Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha!

Pain filled Kern's mind and body, it permeated deep within, animating him and filling him with a deeper connection to the darkside. He had learned through his long exile on Kesh, that his pain was no impediment. He had lost a limb, suffered unimaginable tortures, pain to him now was secondary to his will. It fueled his thoughts, his need for revenge; and objects of his wildest imaginations were possible with application of pain and anguish. Suffering, applied with ample cruelty, that made one strong. The darkside, the power to control life itself, all of it was available to him. Red blood now streamed down the side of Kern's neck, his graying hair and exposed flesh that had grown increasingly pale with passing of time, was highlighted by the heavy red glow of his saber still clutched in the Makashi's principle defensive stance. The affect was that one side of his face was nearly pristine and only weathered by time and age, the other was an ugly mass of flesh and protruding bone. He allowed her to feel his life force ebb, as if she had struck a triumphant blow, he allowed a moment of light to pass by, a ray of hope that he knew would animate her, give her just enough rope. It was then he strangle her nascent hope with impunity. 

Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.

With a quick slice, Kern cut the remainder of the spear free, and spat out the business end, just as Sandy came forward to press her attack. Kern kept himself moving backward carefully keeping his steps in line with the strategy, as Sandy continued to launch her onslaught, he remained content to allow her to expend her considerable speed and power into attacks that one by one proved fruitless. As each of her strikes bore down upon him, his experience with form two allowed him to defend each attempt at injury with a minimum of movement, her blows were struck away with methodical elegance, but he made sure to give her a good show, occasionally her strikes would glance against his armor, the sparks and penetration leaving superficial burns and nicks. The strike at his chest missed his heart by inches, remained the closest she'd come to ending him had it not been for his precision footwork  in a deft dodge. Still He reserved his power, keeping her busy as he studied her pattern.

"Your love will fail. Your pain, your anger, your hidden self... that is the path to power. Embrace them... use them. Only that strength can defeat me." He beckoned cryptically in a voice unburdened by the mask's vocalizer.

Finally, as she smiled, smug in her seeming victory he struck. A counter attack came forward with a vicious brutality and certainty as he released a small portion of his stored power. Each sweeping move he made was combined with a series of feints, ripostes, and carefully planned retreats and lunges. He made her pay for every moment of defense, exerting himself only when she tried to take a moment to recover. His true strength had only begun to reveal itself, as the pain he was enduring animated his every sinew. She would be made to pay for the sins of her for-bearers, and a heavy price in blood would be extracted from Sandy for her misguided devotion to the dying creed of Jedi. Finally as she tried to defend against a sweeping feint to her right, he reached out with the force, using just a small portion of the darkside energies he'd gathered to overwhelm her otherwise immaculate defense. He laid a clean and precise upwards slice toward her wrist, in a move meant to disarm her. He followed this by a downward move and caught her jaw with his elbow, and without giving a her a chance to brace herself he followed it by a violent and brutal kick to her midsection that was meant send her form from him with great momentum towards a pile of heavy containers. 

Ashajonkotswinot itsu nuyak!

Kern laughed now. Feeling Aidan's life begin to leave, his death becoming more certain with each passing moment. He knew Sandy would sense it as well, perhaps this was the push she needed.

"Get up Sandy! I have so much more to show you." Kern beckoned playfully, his voice only slightly altered by the facial gash her attack had left. She was a stubborn one, but Kern was determined the lesson be taught. As the last light of a dying sun heralded it's end, so Sandy's burning embers would seem triumphant just as he snuffed her from the mortal plain. 

(2)

Edited by Fynn Relmis

Kern watched wordlessly as his opponent unfurled a salvo of deadly missiles, each deadlier and more menacing. Once again, she had used a technique of surprise and deceit. As the various viroblades came forth, Kern could sense their purpose, to finally end the fight, a desperate ploy to end the battle. With a note of finality a larger weapon was dispatched, one that had a tinge of the darkside in it's ferocity. This was no Jedi blade, it was something made for a far darker master. Indeed, she was a clever a Jedi, but she had made a fatal error, one so glaring that he had to stifle his surprise. She was exactly where he wanted her to be.

This was the curse of the Jedi. Always they sought to end conflict, but they never embraced the full scope of the force, a force that was always in motion from light to dark. Never did they glimpse the full truth of the universe. The Sith new better, they had learned the reality of what truly mattered. The force did not seek to be neatly ordered into perfection, it always dissolved into chaos, a chaos that needed to be harnessed by the strong, the worthy, the dominant. True victory was determined by pain and sacrifice, suffering and ruthlessness. Her simpering sentimentality had no place in reality, it was all destined to be brought to nothing. The light would always be an enteral lie, darkness was the existential state of all things, because even that which burned brightly, did so for a time, only to be brought to nothing by the inexorable march of time. Any who opposed that truth, were only delayers of the inevitable.

Sandy would learn this lesson today, a reminder to all who sought to fight the Sith.

As the weapons closed in, it took Kern but a moment to use the force to gather his second unused light saber, the smaller sickly pale yellow blade activated, lifted upwards, and spun, unaided by physical force. Propelled only by the inertia of the force, and the connection to the darkside that Kern had gathered all through the fight. The spinning saber caught each of the projectiles mid flight, blunting each blades deadly inertia, slicing them in turn and sending them in various directions, only one of the blades reached it's target, embedding in his shoulder, but doing little but causing momentary pain. 

The deadliest missile was seemingly missed however as the light saber proceeded to arc away, leaving it unimpeded. Had he missed, had her rouse worked? Was Kern about to be struck dead center by this perfectly crafted blade?

The parang sped towards Kern, and as it closed on it's target, for a brief moment he let Sandy's see the light of victory, let her be distracted by the dazzling thought that her powerful attack would end the conflict. Perhaps soon she and her merry band could celebrate in triumphant style, and regale themselves with stories of her cunning. Perhaps there would even be clever quip of revelry as they basked joy and love and friendship. 

How quickly the taste of victory would turn to ash in her broken jaw. 

Kern reached out with his arm, an arm that was a symbol of his past failure. The arm that was made of nothing more then hardened Keshiri steel and mixed metal droid like workings. The metal was not as durable as cortisis weave, nor was it blaster proof, But it was more then enough to stop the Parang. The sharpened weapon slammed into his gauntlet-ed outstretched palm, and sliced deep into the fake prosthesis. He judged that the weapons momentum would end in a dull metallic screech, that would leave it wedged down to his elbow, possibly bisecting his hand and forearm. His arm would be ruined once more, but it would be worth it, as his efforts had been focused covertly elsewhere. While Sandy's attack had been straightforward and erstwhile, Kern's had been secretive, and inscrutable, the final outworking of a strategy that she did not see. In the same moment the Parang struck... his own attack did the same.

Through Victory my chains are Broken.

Kern's weapon, the second light-saber, had flung towards it's true target unimpeded. But any jedi would be forgiven for ignoring it's arcing along a seemingly innocuous course. For years he had practiced using the force to guide his weapon alone. Aided by his power, and his hate, the weapon increased speed continuously, a missile not aimed at Sandy, but rather at one last locking bolt of an emergency release hatch on the large cargo bay door a few short meters from where she now stood... Kern had meant to force her towards the end of the room with the large containers for precisely this reason. In her haste to show her control of her landing, she had placed herself precisely where he wanted her. This was a docking area after all, a place where all matter of all sorts was transported too and fro.  Now Sandy would joint the floatsom and abide among the waste as if expelled by the ship which would soon become the abide of the Sith forever more. 

The weapon struck it's intended target, slicing open the door mechanism, with a shower of sparks releasing the powerful solenoid that controlled it. A large screaming klaxon sounded, powered by an eternal battery to warn of the explosive decompression just as it occurred. The howling sound of the wind turned into a hellishly powerful vortex. The sound that the Jedi had heard before the combat had begun was of the outer seals being opened, a task Kern had accomplished while his puppet Yava had distracted them. Had they engaged him in parley, perhaps they would have discovered his covert act, but Sandy had attacked before she had learned what truly fragile ground she stood upon. Overconfident, she had engaged before examining just how precarious she and her friends position was. Now the trap was sprung, and the large door slammed open, instantly the vacuum of space pulled at the contents of the bay. The door beyond revealed the glowing colors of the fiery Maw in all it's glory. She and her friends would pay the full price for her foolhardy moves, her inflexibility, and her uncompromising nature, things that experience had taught Kern to avoid. In a moment, Sandy would be pulled into the very heart of that nothingness, her light extinguished by it as it had done to so many stars for countless eons. 

The Force shall free Me!

Kern watched while Yava was pulled away and into the screaming hole that now threatened Sandy. With his still functioning hand he stabbed through the nearby plasteel flooring with his saber, giving himself an anchor point, as the world of the cargo bay descended into chaos, objects of all sizes flew towards Sandy's position closest to the large docking bay door. Now He aided the vacuum, adding his own power to expel her, a terrific shove of titanic darkside energies, meant to end any resistance that yet remained, and shove her fragile form into the nothingness that was her destiny. 

Crates and wreckage of all sorts of equipment and supplies crashed down towards her, along with jagged pieces of metal and plasteel, along with the tonnage of an entire deck as the failure of the door had upended the gravitational fields as well and within a moment her body would be pummeled, battered and then exposed to the complete and utter vacuum of space, and with Her energies so used up for her mass telekinetic attacks, Kern doubted she remained strong enough to stop them all. Then there was the fragile life of her Kel Dor friend whose container slipped from it's wedged position and now tumbled towards the large opening as well. There was no anchor for her to avoid her fate, no fleeing from the crushing weight of her error.

In an instant he was sure her physical form would be exposed to the cold and dead honesty of the void. In that darkness her body would spend all eternity, a punishment for her impudence, a marker for all those who would dare oppose the rule of the Sith. An example to the arrogant and unwise, that their challenge was doomed before it started. 

One far day, from this, her body would be consumed by the ultimate and singular darkness of Maw. Kern's vengeance would mean that the ages would pass, empires and kingdoms and republics would wax and wane, but her folly would endure.

Be free Sarna of the Jedi...

(3)

Edited by Fynn Relmis