The Eternal Vigilance (The Maw)

Tarrian Skywalker

Tares could feel a swell, then release, of mixed energy before Jaina replied with an unexpected laugh. As she continued to explain the futility of trying to explain the events between their last meeting, he nodded in understanding. Trying to explain just the sheer amount of events would take much longer than a simple jump would allow. "I think I understand." He said with a nod, "Perhaps another time, when things aren't traveling as fast as this vessel."

He caught notice of the ping right at the same time as Jaina. His eyes immediately darted to the viewport to watch the physical space outside morph with the course change.

"I think I might have some kind of a record within the Order for longest apprenticeship." Jaina remarked while at the helm.

"You might be right," He agreed, "But that should mean you have had the most 'experiential' apprenticeship as well. That always counts for something."

"It looks like we're only about fifteen minutes from the rendezvous point. Ah, you must be going to see Master Kirlocca, then?"

Jaina's final comment caught Tares by surprise. He hadn't quite thought of who he was going to see. He had arrived on Tython with the goal of meeting with entire organizations: the Jedi and Empire. It hadn't really occurred to him who he was specifically searching for.

"In a way," He began, "But not directly. Truthfully, I wasn't sure who I'd be running into on this little adventure. My brother's compan... my company, is interested in potentially doing business with the new Remnant. I sought out the Order to get their perspective since the Remnant's invitation over the Holonet."

Tares was growing more and more curious about the state of the Jedi. An entire order in hiding; Jedi stretched around the galaxy; a new council forming in almost the present moment: it was uncharacteristic of the Order he had left.

"Tell me, since you've been here a day longer than myself: what is your read on the Jedi right now?" He asked, "I've sensed what you might describe as 'turbulence' in the Force surrounding the Order...."

tares.jpg

"Your guess is about as good as mine," she began, as though to brush off the question until someone more qualified were to come along to answer it. Then, thinking the better of it, she paused, amending her statement. If she couldn't trust Tares, whom she'd looked up to for all these years, who could she trust? "Well, no, that's not exactly true."

A solemn look crept onto her face, and she met Tares' eyes meaningfully, opting to speak to him through the Force, even though the chances of being overheard here were slim. The Order is not what it used to be. It feels like it is in...disrepair. Lacking unity or direction. Instead of a Council appointing their Grandmaster, a new Grandmaster has just appointed a Council. There is a bounty on all Force-users that has driven many of the more contemplative members of the Order into hiding and encouraged fear. Chaos is spreading in the galaxy, and there has been no response from the Jedi. Whether the Dark Side is at work or not, it all seems unorthodox and feels wrong to me.

Nodding vaguely toward the doors where Xae and Aira had passed minutes before, she reverted to verbal speech. To any observer, there would have been nearly no break in the conversation. "Xae is hoping that Master Kirlocca will have some light to shed on the subject, and since Aira Cadan has worked with Zinthos before, she was a natural choice to augment the discussion with the Remnant. For my part, there is no clarity to be found in the Force right now, and I'm concerned for what that means for the Jedi, even though I barely count myself among them."

She looked away into the rush of stars momentarily, and when she spoke again, it was as if it took a concerted effort. "It's taken a lot of humility for me to come back, and the only reason I did so in the first place was because the Jedi have my daughter."

Busying herself with nothing on the helm console in an effort to avoid Tares' eyes, she swallowed to clear the lump that threatened to form unbidden in her throat. "I married Andon Colos, years ago. Did I mention that?"

53bzzl2.png

...why are the pretty ones always the most hazardous to your health?

May the Forth therve you well...

The Healer finished the meal that Flitter had brought over and felt much better for it. Now that she was awake and had the restoring meal and drink she was ready to go and find out who had come aboard the Eternal Vigilance. Stretching out her senses, she discovered that she didn’t have to go looking…

When the two young women came into the Medbay, the Healer took one look at the blood upon the younger girls head and moved forward, her movements with casual grace. “It looks like you’ve been in the wars…” she smiled as she noticed from the girl’s white eyes that she was blind, “Lets get you fixed up.” The Healer guided the girl over to an examination table, indicating towards a chair for the other young woman while she treated her patient. “I’m Skye, and you are…?” Her query was to them both.

While they answered the she gathered what she needed along with a small bowl with some liquid bacta. Skye took up a cotton swab, dipped it in the fluid and started cleaning the cut upon the young girls head.

SkyeOrgana.jpg

Tirzah felt Aelyn's concern through the Force and physically felt the older girl guide her towards the medical bay. Luckily for them, there was a healer present.

"Tirzah Jade, I guess I must have hit something when I fell..." She quietly said, not wanting to admit to either of the two of them that she'd stowed away on the ship. Somehow she didn't think the healer would buy the lame excuse of "the Force made me do it."

Turning to Aelyn, she figured she owed the girl an answer to her earlier questions. "Since I was seven. My mother dropped me off and went on some kind of quest to look for what happened to her sister and brother-in-law. Guess she either died or found out and didn't feel like coming back for me. As for my independence, well...I've had to be. Who wants to be coddled? Most people don't know how to act, especially if they don't realize the Force helps me. My feelings aren't made of glass and I'm not surrounded by eggshells. Accidents like this," she gestured to where Skye was treating her cut, "happen from time to time, especially when I'm some place new. You get used to them."

The tween shrugged. "What about you? I don't remember your voice from the upperclassmen groups."

53bzzl2.png

Xae sighed, suddenly feeling very tired. "You're right Aira. Sometimes I wonder if the memories of old battles creep in sometimes. That's why I wanted you to come with me when I spoke with Kirlocca. Keeping the darkness at bay is one thing, but to willfully ignore it within yourself?" She shook her head, causing her auburn ponytail to swing back and forth. "Being an Exorcist causes me to view things a bit more harshly sometimes. Maybe I'm just too old-school for Dahar's version of the Order. Either way, you're right. Trust in the Force."

She rose, facing the other woman, "We shouldn't leave Kirlocca waiting for long. Let's get our ships ready to head towards Chandrila."

psvBwny.jpg

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

PM Mirdala if you'd like a timely response.

Leave anonymous IC feedback here.

Aelyn gave the Jedi healer a disarming smile. "I'm certainly glad you were here, Master Skye," she said. "I'm Aelyn."

She turned her attention back to the younger girl as Skye began to treat her injury. "I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Tirzah. I'm certain that if she could be with you, she would do anything to make it so."

It was still fairly incredible to her that a girl like this could get around on her own while being blind with no animal or even a cane to help her. She was just starting to explore the Force herself, and while she was beginning to get some sense of spacial awareness in the Force, it really only worked for living things for her. To be able to actually navigate hallways or find objects enough to be self-sufficient was a level of dependence on the Force that she could hardly imagine. It made her wonder just what else the Force could enable someone to do.

"I actually just found out two days ago that I was Force sensitive," Aelyn explained. Well, sort of two days ago. Space travel tended to muck around with the usefulness of "days" as a meaningful measure of time. "Aira Cadan brought me to Tython to find a Master, but now she has offered to train me herself, and we're all going to Chandrila to meet Master Kirlocca. But you probably know that, since you followed us up from the Temple, right?"

The girl's signature in the Force gave Aelyn a strong suspicion that Tirzah was not supposed to be here. But bringing it up wouldn't accomplish anything.

B7kIdWt.jpg

Tares listened with intent as Jaina mentally explained her observations and concerns over the Jedi. The details she laid out weren't necessarily new or unique to the order. Tares could still remember a time he had shared his own concerns over the direct actions and philosophy the order was operating under. Training padawans in proactive confrontation. Insisting that knights and masters sought out evil in the name of protecting the light side.

The order had a history of balancing a very fine line between acting on their morals and altering them in the name of the light side. Some leaders and councils balanced the issues and challenges better than others.

Tares withheld a response as Jaina began to verbally explain the purpose of their meeting up with Kirlocca. Old habits died hard, including waiting to form an opinion until the situation offered more details.

Still, history had a way of repeating itself.

Jaina's final question caught him by surprise. Not from the idea that Jaina would have found a husband or even started a family in the time since they had last seen one another, but that Tares couldn't recall hearing about that turn of events through the galactic grapevine. I am really out of touch. He thought.

"I don't think I did know about that. How is Andon these days?" He asked.

tares.jpg

I put a hand on Xae's shoulder comfortingly, then nodded at her final comment. "You're right, We should probably keep going. The Remnant has waited long enough already for a Jedi response, and we still have to meet with Kirlocca."

We headed back out onto the bridge to find Jaina talking to a man In a very nice business suit that I didn't recognize. He had just asked Jaina a question, and I didn't want to interrupt, so I just smiled and waved at him. Glancing around the bridge, I didn't see Aelyn. Accessing the computer systems, I found that she was in the infirmary with two other beings. I hadn't sensed any pain through the Force, so I assumed she was alright and just making new friends. Using the ship's internal communications system, I sent a message to the med bay. "Hey Aelyn, were getting ready to head to Chandrila. Meet me in hanger 6f, okay? And feel free to bring your friends."

aira%20sig%202016_zpsneqbkyej.jpg

Captain of the Galactic Alliance & Jedi Knight

Jerking her head up from the console, Jaina's face fell. Tares' query caught her utterly off-guard, and she dropped all pretense of covering her emotions. Times like these showed her how much she still had yet to learn, as she felt the tide of her pain bleeding into the Force, and yet was powerless to stem the flow. Tares had been one of the paragons of the Order, and to appear weak and distraught in front of him was not only painful, but embarrassing. She had hoped against hope that he of all people would have had word from her husband. If that was not the case... the flame of hope in her heart began to flicker.

Perhaps she would never find out what happened to him.

But what if that were the case? The thought was painful, but not paralyzing. If he had passed out of the galaxy, become one with the Force, nursing the yearning she carried for him would only lead to more pain, not growth. Like a heavy weight, she felt the gnawing drive to find Andon begin to slide off of her shoulders, and she stood a little straighter. Surprise at the weightlessness she felt quickly overtook the deep sadness of the moment previous. Her eyes narrowed in quiet intrigue, a wistful smile growing on her lips. The pain that was bleeding into the Force was not that of an open wound, but that of a passing storm. The clouds were beginning to clear.

"I wish I knew," she said quietly, finally. "He disappeared about the time Tirzah was born."

Alarms sounded from the console yet again, and the stars slowed to a halt as Jaina brought the ship out of hyperspace. Wordlessly, she smiled briefly at Tares, gratitude radiating from her eyes. There was no way he could have known where his question would take her, and yet, the answer that had arisen inside of her brought her extraordinary relief.

"We'll be taking smaller craft the rest of the way from here to Chandrila. With the bounty on Force users, having this monster of a ship over a galactic trade hub didn't seem like the best idea."

Stepping away from the console, she led Tares to where Xae and Aira stood, having reentered the bridge. "Tares Vortex, meet Aira Cadan," she said, gesturing with an open palm. "I believe you've already met Xae."

Tucking the datacard with the coordinates of the Vigilance into her bag, she nodded toward Xae. "Shall we?"

53bzzl2.png

“Ah, Tirzah… this cut is only minor, but head wounds can bleed a lot.” She let the Force swirl around the girl, stopping the bleeding with a healing touch and examining her at the same time. “There, that should do it and it won't even leave a scar. It’s likely you have a concussion so I would like to keep an eye on you for a while.”

She listened while Tirzah answered Aelyn and found herself smiling when she mentioned not wanting to be coddled, then nodded her head at Aelyn’s comment. "I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Tirzah. I'm certain that if she could be with you, she would do anything to make it so."

“Speaking as a Mother, I can honestly say that yes she would do anything to make it so. Sometimes things happen that separate a Mother from their child. It’s hard for everyone involved.” Her thoughts went to her own three children and found herself murmuring, ”No matter how old they are…”

When the young woman also added that she had only just found out she was Force sensitive, and then that they were on their way to see Master Kirlocca Skye had to say, “Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. I wonder how he is?” Smiling at Aelyn she added, “I bet it has opened up a whole new world for you.” Her eyebrow raised as it was also mentioned that Tirzah may not be where she was supposed to be. Kids...

SkyeOrgana.jpg

There was a clash of confliction emanating from the Force after Tares had asked the question. It was apparent that the questions had struck a negative chord in Jaina. He stood silently and observed Jaina’s reaction visually and through the Force.

The sea of emotion coming from the Jedi rose and fell while collectively dipping for a brief moment. Tares raced through the possible points of conflict the question had spurred: tension in the relationship; complications from unforeseen events; it was difficult to even begin to guess.

“I wish I knew. He disappeared about the time Tirzah was born.” She finally remarked.

The energy within her emotional presence in the Force began to stabilize as she spoke.

Tares took a moment to weigh his words carefully, “I'm so sorry, Jaina. I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty of that experience.”

The name Jaina had said, Tirzah, stuck in his mind for a moment. He assumed Tirzah was Jaina’s daughter, but before he could continue for clarification, another alarm came from the central control console. The Vigilance had arrived at its programmed destination.

The two locked eyes for a brief moment with Tares returning Jaina’s smile.

The following events were quick and purposeful as Jaina explained the next part of the plan and introduced Tares to Aira and Xae.

He smiled at Aira, “It’s a pleasure… once more.” He finished with a reintroducing nod to Xae, “If you all will excuse me, I will head back to my ship for the next leg of our journey.”

He departed on the very same turbolift he taken before to get to the bridge. On his way down, he commed Atlas to prepare the ship for departure. Even though the EV was in deep space, it would be important to make a quick and clean getaway to minimize any chance of unwanted discovery.

By the time he had finished his brief conversation with Atlas, the doors to the turbolift swung open into the familiar hallway that led to the docking bay. Tares stepped out and began to walk.

Unlike the rest of the ship, the corridor was uniform in design. Bulkheads on either side were periodically interrupted by doors and hatches leading to other parts of this section of the ship. Tares began to count the passing doors to pass the time until a small blur of a presence in the Force began to fade into existence.

As he walked further along, the blur grew in intensity and focus. Eventually, it began to split into three distinct forms that Tares could feel. Two felt young and small, as if they were still establishing their deep connections to the Force. The other was different and familiar. It had the same strong roots in the Force as the other Jedi, with a form that Tares had felt many times.

Before his mind wandered to identify the form, he forced himself to refocus on the task at hand: board the ship, get off the EV. If some Jedi were lingering in this section, they were most likely unaware of the ship’s arrival.

Once he reached the doorway that was closest to the now clearly defined forms in the Force, Tares stopped his stride and walked into the other side. The room was a medbay. Three figures were in the center, all facing away from Tares’s clear line of sight. One was overlooking another on an examination table. He stopped right in the doorway.

“Excuse me, my apologies for the intrusion, but the ship has just arrived at its final destination. I believe the rest of your party is preparing to depart for Chandrila right this moment. I assume you all have transportation, but my ship has spare room if necessary.” He announced….

tares.jpg

The blind girl merely shrugged. "I got over it a while ago. You kind of grow up fast when you grow up with the Order."

"It must be nice to have a master," Tirzah said before realizing she probably shouldn't since she'd snuck aboard and the younglings of the temple really had no reason to be present.

The girl jumped slightly as another semi-familiar voice came over the medbay comm announcing their next destination, as Skye finished up her work.

She didn't really mind having to stay close to the Jedi Healer, she felt nice within the Force and Tirzah really hoped she wouldn't order her back to Tython. Something was calling her here, but she just wasn't sure what it was.

"I'll stay close. I don't want to have another...run in with something."

53bzzl2.png

"Ready if you are," Xae turned to Jaina, nodding for her to lead the way back to the hangars. "I'm hoping this will be a productive trip on many levels."

psvBwny.jpg

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

PM Mirdala if you'd like a timely response.

Leave anonymous IC feedback here.

"Me too," Jaina snorted. "In any case, I think I figured out a way to keep better track of this thing." Wandering toward the helm console once more, she pulled up the engineering readout, quickly scanning to what she had been working on during her conversation with Tares. "I tried to rig a slave circuit, but this ancient technology is too sophisticated for the extent of my programming skills. What I did manage was a direct comm line. I'll be able to raise this thing anywhere in the galaxy from the Hope," she said, displaying her handiwork to Xae.

Narrowing her eyes, she turned to the center of the bridge where a large and ornate computer displayed a seven-pointed figure, built in beams of colored light. The hologram of a Jedi Master stood at the base of each beam, a moving statue in tribute to the ship's meditative and studious original purpose. The beams emanated from a series of glowing holocrons set into the base of the computer. A roguish grin crossed her face, and she used the Force to pull four of them out of their resting places. They sailed through the air in a gentle arc, one by one coming to rest inside the bag that Jaina held open. Their representative rays of light winked out, dimming the overall display of the computer, and Jaina turned to Xae with an explanation. "The Holocrons manage the autonomous systems of the Vigilance. Not a bad idea to ensure that our giant friend stays put."

Slinging her bag once more over her shoulder, Jaina led the way as the two Jedi women proceeded to the hangar bay where they had docked the Traitor's Hope. Once on board, they released the docking clamps, and after giving the Eternal Vigilance a wide enough berth, were rocketing through hyperspace to finish the voyage to Chandrila.

53bzzl2.png

"I'll stay close. I don't want to have another...run in with something." Tirzah answered then the Healer’s eyes were drawn to the corner speaker as it crackled to life. "Hey Aelyn, were getting ready to head to Chandrila. Meet me in hanger 6f, okay? And feel free to bring your friends." The message came over the intercom just as Skye was finishing up with her patient, causing her to raise her eyebrow in query.

“Excuse me, my apologies for the intrusion, but the ship has just arrived at its final destination. I believe the rest of your party is preparing to depart for Chandrila right this moment. I assume you all have transportation, but my ship has spare room if necessary.”

As the familiar sounding voice and presence flowed over her, Skye’s emerald eyes lit up, her smile brightening significantly. The healer turned towards the smartly dressed man in the doorway, more familiar with seeing him in Jedi robes rather than a business suit. “Master Tares.” It didn’t matter how long ago it was that she had been his padawan, nor how long it had been since she had become a Master herself, old habits died hard. “What a pleasure to see you. Have you met Tirzah or Aelyn?”

SkyeOrgana.jpg

"Master," Aelyn said respectfully to the new person that had entered the room, the silver-haired man who she had seen enter the bridge. He wore a business suit, which she was quite unused to seeing on any Jedi, but when she touched the Force she felt just how strong he was in it. There was a complexity to his signature that set him apart from the other Jedi she'd met so far, and she also felt the echo of Skye's reaction to seeing him. They had been close friends once, long ago, and been apart for many years. Now that she heard the name "Tares", she wondered if this was the former Jedi Council member and successful business man Tares Vortex that her father had once told her about. If so, it was fascinating that he might end up here on the Eternal Vigilance. She was already rubbing shoulders with some incredible personalities, and there would be more soon.

"I would like nothing more than to stay and talk," she said, "but I don't want to hold everyone up."

The redhead looked at the young girl. "I'll be taking my ship down to Chandrila as well. If you'd like to tag along, Tirzah, I'd be glad to give you a ride," she offered. "Otherwise, I hope we can talk more later."

She wasn't sure how the other Jedi would react to a twelve-year-old coming along to their meeting with Master Kirlocca, but she figured it was better to offer so that the girl didn't feel the need to stow away again.

Aelyn started to head down to the hangar and the Open Road with the others who were leaving. She grabbed her jacket first, but it was stained with Tirzah's blood so she folded it rather than put it on. Her outfit didn't really work without it, but she could change on her ship before they reached Chandrila.

When they arrived she quickly moved to meet Aira. "This ship is incredible!" she said. "Can we come back sometime soon?"

B7kIdWt.jpg

Tares smiled as Skye turned to reveal herself in greeting. He had lost track of the amount of time that had passed since they had last seen each other. It didn't seem to matter, though. Even in a place as large as the galaxy, they had a way of reuniting in unexpected places at unexpected times. It seemed fitting that this latest meetup would be on the same ship their master-padawan relationship had officially ended when Skye became a knight.

"Skye, how in the galaxy are you on this thing?" He asked.

He looked around at the other two Jedi and nodded. Aelyn made a departing statement, then offered transportation to the young girl he recognized from the cafeteria. After his conversation with Jaina, the girl's presence in the Force made sense now. She had traits that felt similar to Jaina and Andon. At the same time, there was a streak about her that was different, completely her own. "Ah, Tirzah. I was just up on the bridge speaking to..."

Before he could finish the words "your mother", the lights in the medbay began to flicker on and off. Tares quickly brought out his comm, "Atlas, are you linked into the EV computer? What's going on?"

"The central computer has been deactivated. All major systems are entering standby mode. Oxygen levels are also beginning to decrease; should you wish to keep your blood in a non-boiling state, I would suggest departing within the next ten minutes."

"Noted." Tares replied, "I believe that's our cue to leave. My ship is just down the corridor if you want a ride...."

tares.jpg

Tirzah looked towards the male voice, curious as he was cut off by something she couldn't see. "What's happening? Who were you talking to?"

She got her first answer at least as another voice came over the line indicating the ship going into stand-by mode.

"I'm all for going and if your ship is close, the better I think...Master Tares," she hopped off the table and towards the sound of Tares's voice.

53bzzl2.png

A brief communication was logged HIGH PRIORITY for Jedi Knight Aira Cadan.

When opened the holographic form of the Imperial Head of state would briefly bow and smile. "My friend, though I have not spoken to you in some few years, you are the only contact within the Jedi Order I trust, as such I look at you for guidance, attached is a message I would ask you not to openly share, lest it cause political disord within your order. Though I leave that decision in your hands. I seek your guidance on this transmission ere I respond. For it does not reflect the Order as I remember it. I hope this transmission finds you in good health. ."

Attached was lebeled Secret, and held a certain transmission

"Ms Zinthos. My name is Dahar Raikanda, I am the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order. In future correspondences I would beseech you to speak only to me, or to my hand Lord Paragrin. We are the only two in the current re-structuring of the Order that will be of any administrative or tactical relevance to you. The concept of a Jedi "council" still exists but please note that with changing times roles are changing as well. I believe you and I may be on the same page regarding the Sith. I would like to discuss more in person. It would be prudent to meet in a safe and private place. You may reach me at my personal comm. I would appreciate it if you kept this correspondence, as well as any in the future, private. Should anyone approach you claiming to be part of the council please respectfully decline to meet with them. Only myself and Lord Paragrin will be able to assist you with more than just an oath..."

Raven_3_Sig.png.fa6e284bec4ff42ba02901e8567b2f87.png

Pretender to the Galactic Throne

Leader of the Rebel Alliance

As the medbay lights flickered Skye went to the console and checked to see what was going on. "The central computer has been deactivated. All major systems are entering standby mode. Oxygen levels are also beginning to decrease; should you wish to keep your blood in a non-boiling state, I would suggest departing within the next ten minutes."

Checking the levels she made a couple of entries. "Oxygen Levels flickered but are now stabilizing. It looks like quite a few decks are shutting down but we don't have to order an evac. Looks to me like the Vigilance is going into standby mode again."

"I'm all for going and if your ship is close, the better I think...Master Tares." She glanced at Tirzah and nodded her head. "Yes, we'll go with you Tares. I-Nine, you and Flitter go to Serenity in case I need her." The Healer's protocol droid gave it's approximation of a nod and her two droids headed towards the hanger where her ship was docked while Skye and Tirzah followed Tares to his ship. The three boarded, Skye and her young charge stopped in the living area while Tares headed to the cockpit. It wasn't long before they were underway to their destination.

SkyeOrgana.jpg

• 9 months later...

At a secret set of coordinates handed to him by Jaina Jade Skywalker, Darex's shuttle emerged from hyperspace into a black void. The empty space between stars always looked tiny on maps, but in reality, there were lightyears between even the closest star systems. The emptiness had been known to bother deep space pilots after a while; star systems were islands to be clung to in the wild emptiness of the universe. But it didn't bother Darex. In a way, it was peaceful out here. Quiet. He could feel the pulse of the galaxy better being removed from some of the hubbub of the rest of the beings in it.

But as tempting as it was, he wasn't here to meditate. He immediately began scanning, and after five minutes, his scopes lit up. He turned the shuttle towards his destination, and once it appeared on his visuals, he smiled broadly. There's no place like home, he thought warmly. And the Eternal Vigilance really was home for him, as much as anyplace could be for a Jedi. The twins had spent a good number of their early years here, and even before that, it had been a place of rest and retreat for him.

The ship immediately went into defensive mode on his approach, but he sent the proper codes, and the massive colony ship allowed him to land. Upon touching down, he went through rigorous screening to ensure that he really was who he said he was. He didn't mind; defensive measures like this kept the EV safe. But finally, he was cleared, and given free reign of the ship. His first stop was to the control center. Reaching into the bag at his side, he carefully replaced the holocrons that Jaina had taken. There was a hum as the ship was restored to full power, and Darex programmed in several microjumps, just to throw off any potential pursuit.

Then, he turned the colony ship towards the center of the galaxy. With a thrust of it's engines, the colony ship headed into populated space once more.

Seeing that everything was fully functional again, Darex headed to his old cabin. He desperately needed some food, and then some sleep. It had been a long time since he had had either.

The suite of rooms was clean, but it felt quiet, lonely, and empty without his family there. He ate a ration pack in silence. He toyed with comming the twins, or even Darla, but he refrained. The twins were with Skye, and Darla didn't want to hear from him. He sighed heavily and rubbed the back of his neck. Eventually, he got up, cleaned up his meal, then flipped on the holonews.

The headlines jumped out at him, and he watched in mute dread as the coverage of Faust's latest attack on the Senate played out. He mourned for the dead; everywhere the Hunter went, death followed. He had business to take care of, but Skye needed every hand she could get to help out. Well, at least the GA will be hunting him directly now, too, he thought. The more eyes, the better.

Eventually, he flipped off the screen. For a moment, he wished he hadn't come back to all of this heartache and loneliness and death and horror. But then he took a deep breath and steadied himself. He would work to change that; to bring peace and light. Rising, he headed to bed. Things would look better in the morning.

FDY9u6P.png

Grand Master of the Jedi Order

During the long journey to Coruscant, Darex found himself in the heart of the ship, building a new lightsaber.

This one was simple, unadorned save for a cushioned but textured handgrip. He used the spare crystals the EV carried. Normally, he'd go choose one on Ilum, but for now, he needed a practical weapon that was a symbol of his willingness to come back into the galaxy fully. A real, meaningful lightsaber could be something he built later.

A few hours later, his task was done. He checked his comm, acknowledged Vos' message, then rose. There was a subtle vibration in the decking, and he headed to the hanger.

Far above the city-planet of Coruscant, the Eternal Vigilance came out of hyperspace. Darex was already in the hanger, engines prepped on a quick and light Jedi Ace. As soon as the colony ship dropped out of hyperspace, Darex launched. Moments later, the EV disappeared back into hyperspace on a preprogrammed course.

FDY9u6P.png

Grand Master of the Jedi Order

• 2 years later...

The Maw

Laughter echoed maniacally throughout the hallowed halls of the abandoned Jedi vessel. The multi kilometer vessel hung suspended in the void near a thousand black holes. Beside the Eternal Vigilance, seemingly snuggled in its embrace was a singular corvette of corellian make, its orange striping and grey paint marking it a vessel of the Jedi Order. Its engines were dark as the midnight oceans of manaan, its white docking tube extended to the Eternal Vigilance looking for all the galaxy like an embryo, tucked into the womb of that great Jedi Vessel.The entire Jedi training ship was devoid of power and light save the archival room where a single still light flickered. The pale green light of an emergency glowrod illuminated rows of holocrons spread out in arcing circles in which sat a frail old man. His face streaked with lines of age, and there were tears upon his cheeks. The holocron in front of him snapped open, its own red light mixing with the pale green.

He sighed, bringing an end to his laughter and letting the sound of shuffling feet and clicking mandrills take its place. He stood, bathed in the red light, and gestured to one of the lurking shadows. 

“Come children, we have much to learn.” 

HAZARD ZONE 

Danger Level: High

ARCHIVIST.png.4c2d8535c75133ba31cd6ffea254fdff.png

Guarding the Eternal Vigilance Since 2019

• 4 weeks later...

“Hello! Hello, is anyone out there... please!?” The captain begged, banging impotently on his cabin door.

“This isn't right, you can't keep us in here like this, I have a contract!” the Twilek crewman cried out, sitting with arms folded around his knees, screaming into the void. The only answer echoes from his hermetically sealed tomb.

“Can anyone hear me! Hello!” Yava implored, her eyes filled with desperate tears as she tried to unlock her quarters.

Two days had passed quickly in blackness of space that was only punctuated with brief hyperspace jumps from point to point. Finally however, the last jump had taken them to the last known coordinates of the massive city sized ship that once housed an entire garrison of Jedi forces, including an array of deadly weapons, and the most prized artifacts in a full quarter of the known galaxy. The freighter now hung nearby, growing slowly closer as it's gravitational pull interacted with the large vessel. 

The various black holes of the Maw strained and threatened the ship. For the moment at least, the large freighter was in no immediate danger. The sensor logs had found the Eternal Vigilance while it's captain had made an unscheduled pick up of spice, under the prying eyes of the local patrols. The run he'd made had been a remarkable stroke of luck for Kern, but he preferred to think of it as destiny guiding him ever onwards. 

The voices of the trapped crew echoed through the empty halls of the cramped quarters. The pleas of the increasingly agitated crew fell on deaf ears. There was no escape, no rescue, only his merciless whims separated them a pitiful and meaningless death.

Kern sat with his legs crossed stretching his feelings into the force, the various trendrils of the darkside that reached everywhere, especially where the light couldn't reach or even fathom. Bottomless pools of power lay within his reach, and day by day, minute by minute, Kern felt his strength increasing and his abilities fed by the darkside felt more within reach.

The desperation of those captured like animals continued to mount. To Kern it was like an energizing meal. The fear, that which now drove the lives of the beings on the ship gave his senses focus, heightening his powers, and deepenED his connection to the darkside. It was then that he could feel something else shift, someone had gained freedom, something was coming, drawing closer. They were filled with righteous anger, a desire to avenge there imprisonment. They were gathering allies, doors were being opened.

Kern felt all of this, his powers in the force allowed him to see it as if he was among the would be usurpers. There were always the rebels, the resisters, the rally of the cries of freedom. Liars, idiots, incessant gnats to the true order of things... much as he was were he to confront Exodus in such a low state. His role on Kesh as Arbiter of the Will of Furion had helped him develop the abilities to end such risings, but now he let it play out, curious as to the extent his powers had returned. Furion had not been seen for long time, but Kern's will had kept him going, his desire for power driving him to survive. With the treasures on the ship before him, his powers would grow to unknown heights, but that was a future not yet written.

The bridge controls were locked out, as the captain had finally managed to use a secret command code known only to him and another at a terminal that he must have left off the official diagrams of the vessel. Clever, all too clever, Kern thought.

The door to the bridge slid open, and three beings entered quickly brandishing blasters. The three rushed forward.

"Fynn, or whatever your name is, put your hands where I can see them!" The captain ordered his bluster clear and foolish.

Kern didn't move, he simply tilted his head as if he was only moderately disturbed by what unfolded behind him.

“You!” The captain raised his weapon to blast Kern into atoms. But suddenly he stopped. Frozen in place. Yava turned to see the captain, a look of horror on her face. The man stood his face locked in a look of wrenching pain.

“Captain?” Yava asked desperately.

“I'm truly concerned about your captain Yava. He appears to have a weak heart. Pity.” Kern said he turned his head slowly.

“Let him go!” the twilek screamed in anger and raised his blaster to fire. One bolt loosed and landed harmlessly behind Kern in the back of one of the front facing seats. The man had wasted his one chance.

Kern raised a hand, and the weapon flew from the twilek's hands and clattered and broke on the floor away from the enraged crew member. Another motion sent the twilwek flying backwards and into the hall behind him. The sickening thud left little doubt as to the man's broken and at least concussed state. The force had little mercy on those without the ability to shield themselves. The door to the bridge slammed shut, and now only a Yava and and her immobilized captain remained with cloaked and unmoving Kern who now spoke to little Yava with deep conviction.

“Yava, I need you to act quickly now, the Eternal Vigilance is nearby, but I'll need the ships controls to take us closer, navigate this Maw, and ultimately dock. I can't do that with your captains interference. You'll need to get him to tell you-”

“I'll... never...ta-” the captain croaked, his breath choked again.

I don't remember asking you a damned thing! I'm speaking to Yava now.” Kern said, angered by the interruption, the darkside crackling through his rage. Yava looked to Kern, and slowly raised the blaster, clearly confused.

“You aren't a Jedi, you're one of them...” Yava said afraid to say what she knew he was.

“Yava, don't be foolish, I don't need to harm you or your captain, I only need this ship to complete my task” Kern said finally rising to his feet, in a voice that was almost seductive. His black and grey tunic was cleaned now, a little service a droid had performed for him when he'd been taken aboard. His face ashen but bolder and more vibrant, His form seemed larger now, as if he'd physically grown to be an imposing figure from the frail husk that had been taken aboard. He approached her, his now deeply crimson and fiery eyes burrowing deeply into hers.

“I-, I can't, you have to st-, stop.” Yava looked at him nervously, her voice growing in confused panic. As her captain struggled to even breathe. 

Help... me... please....

give me what I want, ... give in... tell me what you know... 

There it is... you have it, let it go little one... give in... 

Kern had found it, He had seen into Her mind, He no longer needed the captain...He had something better.

“... remember when I said lives were at stake? I didn't lie to you about that. Your actions here will have a pivotal role in the lives of your shipmates. There are still others below who would suffer greatly if I am stopped from my purpose by your captain. But you can save them, all of them. You have the code, I know you do, your attention to detail tells me that you've watched him use it many times, so simple, five little numbers between me and my goal.” Kern said circling her, using the darkside to cloud everything accept his voice, the command counsel, and his face.

“But... I-, please... I can't-” Yava begged.

“If you don't help me then he will die, and so will all your crew, screaming, howling amongst the maw, their blood on your hands. They need your help, you can save them. Now enter the numbers into the control panel. Help them... help them or they will die. It's that simple.” Kern said plainly, as put his hand on the blaster and began to push it slowly away from him.

“I-” Yava's hands shook, she readied herself to pull the trigger. Kern redoubled his efforts, feeding on her frustration and fear, using them to pull even more of her deep seated doubts to the surface. She was more capable then the captain, smarter and more cunning, she had potential, but Kern filled her with confusion and pain, the same feelings that fed him. Each moment, Kern pulled her deeper into a conflicted purgatory, her thoughts and will no longer completely her own. He could see her mind clearly now, the yearnings the desires, the secrets and fears that even she was repressing.

“Yava, I've had days here, I could have killed you at anytime. I know you can be more then the third mate on a second rate runner of spice. You want for more, I am your one chance, Do it for yourself, none of these insects need you... but I do, you can serve me, and be rid of all doubt...give yourself to what you know to be right,. Now stop struggling and enter the codes...” , The gun was taken from her hand, and quickly disabled by removing it's clip.

Yava found herself at the controls of the ship, she entered the sequence, and then as she completed the last one Kern relaxed his grip on the captain, dropping him to the floor. Yava's face showed an instant of relief as she too fell to her knees.

“Thank you.” Kern said kindly as he reached out and gently caressed her face with his one human hand.

...The other reached out to form a closed fist, and a surge of the force snapped the thick neck of the captain. The sickening crack caused Yava's mind to cry out in emotional pain. Kern picked up the dropped blaster from the being who'd threatened him and looked at it disgustingly.

“Little worm, you would think to threaten me? I am as death to you!” Kern said loudly to the captains' soon to be lifeless corpse. He dismantled the man's weapon and it's remnants clattered to the floor. A second motion saw the captain convulse, as Kern reached into his chest again, and broke his heart, the crush bringing him immeasurable pain, and Kern a sickening smile of satisfaction.

“Worry not little Yava, I will have further need for you. Go aid your other friend, he needs some healing I should think.” Kern directed, he sounded almost gentile, and stately, as if the man whose heart he'd crushed was not still convulsing in pain before her. Only a single tear rolled down her face, but her mouth had a small satisfied smile.

Kern stood behind, shaking his head, exerting his will over her simple mind. 

“Now, go see to your shipmate, and be ready to deploy the docking mechanism.” He commanded, using the force to impel her to obey. Yava got up and slowly left the bridge her spirit mostly broken. His control over her would still take time, but he was confident that eventually her will would be completely overcome. A willing servant was not made in a day.

Kern sat down in the captains chair, and made sure no other part of the ship could send a signal, or countermand him, this time with the captains personal prefix code, as the last moments of the mans' life exited his body. Kern reveled in the wanton loss of life, brief as the moment was. The Darkside had brought him here, to obtain what so many others desired, He had but to take it, as he had this ship. Nothing would stand between him and his prize.

Edited by Fynn Relmis

"Some things... are worse then death, being forgotten for example..."

Member Since '05 - The Old Ones | Character Sheet

The light of a hundred holocrons flickered as the Archivist listened to the tune of the force. The chittering of the Subjects rose and fell like a dismal chanting tune. The force moved heavily through them as the sound of distinct footfalls approached where the old man sat stooped over the large pyramid of an ancient holocron. 

Master. The force stirs us. A dark one approaches.

A laugh returned to their wavering voices.

The first of many come to take my prize.

ARCHIVIST.png.4c2d8535c75133ba31cd6ffea254fdff.png

Guarding the Eternal Vigilance Since 2019

The Ryloth's Spite kept itself in a stationary position a short distance from the heart of the Maw. Here the violent gaseous clouds crackled with electrical disturbances that occasionally rocked the ship.

The red lightsaber in Kern's hands crackled forth, as he swung it with deadly accuracy toward a bolt that was flung at him from the twileks' blaster. Deflecting it back, and impacting the mans chest. It knocked him from his feet, and he collapsed to the floor with a thud. The dark room forced Kern to look around carefully, stretching with the force to find his prey. The twilek however was in pain, and was easily located.

Kern, shirtless, watched him dispassionately for a moment, disappointed in his lack of effort. He found his body was slowly but surely returning to his command. The Maw itself was energizing, the pure chaos and destruction feeding him. 

"Again," Kern commanded sternly. 

"I can't I'm-" the young man was clearly tiring, hours of the cat and mouse game clearly getting to him.

"I don't care. Again." Kern deactivated the crimson blade, and placed at his side.

"Listen, just because the blaster is on a low setting doesn't mean it won't kill me." the young twilek spat at him. 

"Well, do the math, do you want a blast that might kill you, or a crushed windpipe... that will certainly kill you?" Kern said as he prepared himself for the next assault. The bay of the cargo vessel made an excellent training area, large crates, dark cavarans of supplies, places to hide and confront. 

"I... I hate you." the Twilek said painfully as he came to his feet. 

"Good, then you truly are learning... again." Kern said, pleasantly surprised by the young man's feelings. 

The twilek fired several bolts, and then found cover as Kern blocked each blast with ease. The Twilek was no great fighter, or soldier, but Kern needed to reawaken skills that were in need on the ship awaiting them. His stagnation had given him cobwebs, made him dusty. If he was not in fighting shape, the defensive systems of the ship would end him, even if they were not at peak capacity. 

Several more blasts from a hidden spot, Kern lept through the air diving out of the way of the stray shots, deciding at the last moment to at an elevated position on a large cargo container. The door behind him opened, and the form of Yava Sternhylde came forth. She was a little different from the docent third mate she had been when Kern came aboard. 

"Captain, I hope your interruption is an important one." Kern said not taking his attention from his prey.

"I'm still preparing the nav computer to calculate a trajectory to take us through the Maw." Yava said plainly, her voice slightly devoid of emotion. 

"How much longer, I'm quite eager to get moving."

"Another day at least," Yava announced. "The ship has been placed in a very precarious position. If we are not precise, the ship will be ripped apart.  

"But that's not the reason you're concerned." Kern responded, her motivations clear to him.

"When this is done, what happens to me? Your promises are all well and good. But...Sith aren't known for there giving nature." Yava said plainly. 

"How wrong the galaxy is about us. Sith destroy that which does not submit. The order we bring will assure peace to all. You need not need fear me, as long as you remain useful and efficient. I have need of effective crew, and so far you have been quite useful." Kern said as he continued looking for his prey. Finding a human crewman hiding behind a nearby crate, Kern grabbed the mans' leg using the force to fling him into a far off corner. The threat dispatched, he turned back to Yava. He dropped from the elevated crate, dropping several meters and landing with ease next to her. 

"When I have reached my goal, your service will be rewarded.", Kern said smiling, and put his hand reassuringly on her shoulder. Yava didn't respond, BUT 
"Continue the calculations...we need to move as soon as possible. That ship is a prize the Jedi will not ignore forever, let alone others of my breed. I will not miss this opportunity." Kern said, as she spun around to follow him. "-and get me two more sparring partners, these are useless." Kern barked.

• 2 weeks later...

Kern entered the bridge, and took his station in the captains chair.

"You signaled?" He asked as leaned back in the chair to look over at the woman at the navigation station.

"Yes...my- what am I to call you anyways? Lord? Master? Baron?" Yava asked, genuinely confused.

"If we survive, I'll let you know. Simply serve me well and this ship will only be the first of your rewards. For now let's dispense with the formalities...are we ready?" Kern said folding his arms impatiently.

Kern watched as Yava entered the final sequence.

“Here goes nothing…” Yava said as she took a breath and leaned back. A R4 droid bleeped in response, it’s grey and white paint scheme blending well with the slot it had entered a moment earlier.

“R4-5T, enter the sequence.” she barked at the droid, and it chirped in response as the ship came alive with movement.

“Are you certain this will this work?” Kern asked dispassionately as he tried to focus his mind on the task ahead. So much relied upon a series of improbabilities… all of which had led him here. Would he truly be denied at the cusp of such a glorious achievement by a miscalculation? He'd known failure too many times in his past life, a bitter pill that never ceased to enrage his mind. He thought of his former deceivers, his so called friends. Mistress Skye chief among them. His acceptance into the elite circle of the Sith would further prove his greatness, and acceptance to ever higher levels of power and status. Who would then doubt that he was the perfect weapon to dispatch the enemies of the Sith? Who then would deny him anything he wished? The force itself would be at his feet. But that path was still obstructed by vast and unsympathetic forces that lay ahead.

“Well.. let’s see, there’s six singularities all interacting and each desirous of pulling us into an intractable position of infinite death… then we have to dock with a city sized ship at one of only two ports that won’t spell certain doom, Oh and remain there for whatever period of time it will take for you to extract whatever is you’ve come after and then leave the way we came-“

Kern raised his hand to stop her babbling.

“A simple yes would sufficed. No need for the impudence. He shot back. "Secure all crew doors, I want no more heroes attempting to disrupt my mission.” He said as he keyed in the new command codes that only he was in possession of. 

“All hands, brace yourselves, this may get a bit bumpy.” Yava said into the intercom.

The large freighter lurched forwards, threading the balance between the gravitational fields, it’s powerful engine strained at 120% of maximum, pushing the ship to the limits of it’s integrity. Kern sat uncomfortably as he heard the bulkheads and metal of the outer hull creek and strain audibly keeping them intact as the Eternal Vigilance grew closer.

“1000 Kilometers…” Kern said reading the captains monitor on the spacious bridge.

The ship grew ever closer, and began to rock violently as it hit a particularly tough spot.

“800 kilometers…” Kern said, but he suddenly turned his head, as if something came through that he’d missed at a distance.

The ship bucked harder this time, and the R4 unit screeched as a warning beacon sounded.

“What’s happening!?” Kern demanded realizing that there was something more then just gravity at work. Something was there, he could feel it, just beyond him. 

“I’m losing engine 4, damn. Hold on, compensating”, Yava said as she worked the controls.

As Yava went to work, Kern stretched out, and sensed something ahead of them, a presence, a powerful taste of darkness just at the fringes of his perception. It didn’t want them there, it was malevolent, and it probed them for weakness.

“No…there’s something reaching out-“ Kern announced cryptically, he stood up from his place and tried to get a bearing on the presence.

“400 Kilometers, there isn't anything on sensors, could it be rogue gravity well?” Yava asked, trying her best conceal her worry.

“… it’s more than gravity. Damn all the saints in all the hells! There is something out there, and it doesn't want us here.” Kern said angrily and then began to push back, using his anger at being opposed, to form the same protective field around the vessel as he would in combat against a force user. It took more than his normal expenditure, but he managed to hold the field together, to resist whatever was assailing them. The power that came at them didn’t like being pushed back, and renewed it’s assault. Kern channeled his will into keeping whatever it was at bay, it was strong, but he could tell that it wasn’t prepared to stop them at this distance.

"200- If it pushes us to far off course, we'll be-"

"Keep going! I can hold it!" Kern barked out, as he continued to manage to hold things together with his every thought. 

“I won’t be able to compensate much-“ Yava stopped as she saw the strain on Kern’s face. Kern’s face was strained, the large stitches that held some of his skin together being stretched slightly unnaturally. Kern’s entire body was framed by the partial Sith armor and Kesh blood red tribal markings that highlighted his face. He was now dressed for war, his vital areas protected by simple blaster armor, and other flex points padded with blast resistant joints. He was every bit the Sith apprentice she'd agreed to follow. She could not conceive of the carnage he had inflicted to gain such honors, of the violence he was capable of dispensing in order to achieve his aims. 

Yava she looked back at the red indicators, suddenly everything went green. “Ok.. I don’t know what you’re doing, but keep doing it.” She announced as she continued to pilot the vessel.

“Don’t give me orders, just get to the docking... port.” Kern said grimacing. Ignoring temporarily the flagrant disrespect. 

Whoever you are, you will not stop me, my will…my will is…my will is stronger!

Perspiration had begun running down his pale forehead, mixing with the red paint that marked his brow leading to a blood like stain running down the side of his face. He reached out with his hidden and black gloved mechanized hand, firmly gripping the arm rest with all the power it possessed to keep himself steady. It was another scar from his old master that would need be repaid in full; the power that lay before him would be used for just such revenge. 

“50 Kilometers!”

The ship finally got within range, and then began a pre-programmed snap turn, the final few meters closed, and the engines of the large freighter strained to stop just short. Kern felt the ship hurdle sideways, and his regal half cape, a sign of his royal lineage, flapped in the same direction as the shifting gravity. 

“Hang on!” Yava yelled out, she tapped the control for the final sequence and the engines strained to slow their approach, and stop them from colliding too fast.

“Contact in five... four... three... two-!” Yava announced as Kern concentrated as hard as he could to defy whatever being wished to deny him harbor.

Edited by Fynn Relmis

• 2 weeks later...

The ship rocked as it connected with the massive vessel forcefully. A moment passed, Kern opened his eyes and smiled broadly. They had succeeded.

“Excellent.” Kern said pleased with the effort of his new convert.

“Thank whatever god’s you pray to... we made it.”  Yava said as she looked over the counsel and let out a sigh of relief.

“I never doubted you for a moment. Save your prayers for my enemies.” Kern said with an air of confidence, as he wiped the drying trail of blood red ink from his eye and cheek.

Kern stood from his place, and took in the situation. The ship had successfully docked, but there was damage, as a few red indicators showed stress fractures In the hull. The R4 droid chirped and registered the problems, it began rattling off the worst of it. Yava began to scan the Vigilance in earnest.

"The ship seems dead, the power is on-line but most of the systems are off, life support is just barely functioning." She reported. the astromech unit finally completed it's assessment, Yava quickly analyzed the results.

“Issues?” He asked after a time.

“Nothing too bad, but it’ll take some time to fix. Maybe two or three hours? Hyper-drive will be a little longer.” Yava said quickly assessing the reports.

“Are you-” She looked at Kern to take her que. Kern admired her spirit, only days earlier she’d allowed the murder of her stubborn captain on his urging. Now he could feel her competence, and was more assured of her competence than ever. He’d learned how to motivate his followers on Kesh, and use the darkside to coordinate their efforts in battle and enmasse. The technique was much easier on microscale.

“Quite alright. The pain is quite helpful, the bolts in my flesh were driven into my skull as perfect reminders of why I’m here. This ship was the ultimate jedi and republic weapon forged to hammer the Sith into irrelevance. IT's fitting that I should take it's treasures back to the Sith, and end it's wretched existence. It will be a reminder to all of the superiority of the Sith, and bring me a measure of prestige I might add.”

The bolts were reminders of his past failures, a painful and angry signal that he had once allowed himself to be moved by compassion and love, only to be rewarded with failure and regret. It was the end of the road for all Jedi, one of the many reasons he hated them so. 

“Now, best move quickly, my success is your success... and I have a sense that we won’t have this place to ourselves for long. It likely has internal alarms that will alert others to our presence.” Kern said as he began to exit the bridge.

“What are you going to do?” Yava asked as she turned around.

“Prepare myself to deal with whatever it is that has inhabited this vessel, and anything else that stands between me and my prize.” Kern said sternly with a determined tone as he moved off the bridge.

Kern entered the engineering compartment, and began his preparation. His armor was in fine shape, but he knew that he would need more then competent armor to deal with whatever tricks the Jedi infested vessel might have. He inspected his two lightsabers preparing them for the fights to come. First he examined the sickly pale yellow blade that had been gifted him on Kesh, with a handle made from durasteel and shards of Keshiri bone. It was light and nimble, the perfect blade to accompany his efforts against multiple threats. Offhand, or hidden until the right moment Light-ender was a nasty suprise. He had to replace both weapons since being defeated by Skye in his last encounter, but the supplies on Kesh made it a simple task. The other Usrpers' Bane was now fistuned with the teeth of Morrigal. The Blade with a vibrant blood red blade sparked to life with little effort. It was slightly longer than the average saber, with a crystal that was synthetic and it’s hilt had been reinforced with several layers of Keshiri smelted iron. Not as strong as Durasteel, but layered for maximum affect. Attaching both to an obscured utility belt by his hip, Kern turned his attention elsewhere.

Kern then looked to his forearm and hand that hid the bionic and incredibly well-crafted replacement. The fake flesh was almost perfect, and hidden behind black gloves and mesh, were several hidden compartments had been fashioned to store various lethal and non-lethal weapons. First there were the poison darts soaked in Krayt venom, and a version of Sith poison brewed carefully on Kesh by his acolytes. The poison would slowly incapacitate, shutting down one system at a time in moments, until the target was reduced to a drooling mess on the ground. He’d taken his cues from Faust, the Sith lord who’d he’d allied with for a time. He had to admit, the man had a flair for poison, and Kern had adopted its use to powerful affect.

He had to thank his old master for one thing… as Skye’s knowledge was extremely helpful, and the memories of how the force affected the various parts of the body made Kerns’ brew especially potent. He knew exactly how most Jedi efforts worked in order to cleanse their system, but these efforts would only force the poison to become even more toxic, as the darkside would only spread further into the bloodstream. He thought it a perfect irony, the same techniques used to heal and bring about dazzling transformations would now bring such darkness. He loaded dozens of the tiny darts into a hidden cartridge that would be guided by a stealthy system of force projection. They could be shot almost silently, it’s trajectory disguised by his own will.

Finally he prepared the plain lacquered red and black mask that covered his head and contained a hidden breathing and filter apparatus with several hours of breathable oxygen in a small tank, and in another something more sinister. At first glance it was a traditional warrior’s mask from the Keshiri, made from the metal of his enemies' weapons. The Keshiri steel facade was perfect for keeping enemies guessing as to what and who they faced.

IT didn’t look Sith in origin, but rather exotic, tribal, and unsettling with a large gaping jaw and red eyes covered with a flash proof material, ideal for blocking stun grenades, and other bright flares. The second minuscule tank would issue forth a green acidic knock-out gas from it’s exaggerated maw with one application of the force to specific button hidden in the right spot. It would cause the lungs of whoever was close enough to react by constricting and contracting. Breath enough, and you’d be unconscious inside a minute, without aide, and the anti-venom, you’d die within hours. It would be effective against those who had not mastered jedi breathing, and distracting even for those that had. It was from Kesh that most of his weapons originated, foreign and alien to most of the galaxy, giving him a needed edge. 

Kern had fashioned Kesh to be a Sith stronghold, but without further support from the Sith he had to make do with lower grade weaponry and armors. With his rise, it too would become important in the Sith empire, no longer a simple backwater to retreat to. For someone with his power and will the title of Baron was not enough, to be a fully-fledged Darth, to be more than a forgotten afterthought, drew him to push ever onwards, surviving where others had fallen and faded. He had heard the reports of the new Sith King, and together with the other Sith Lords who were officially part of his provenance the new empire was stronger than ever before. The jedi he had no awareness of. He figured they had to be licking their wounds on some backwater moon, but sooner or later he would face them, and he couldn't wait to share some of his new arsenal with them. 

Kern was separate however, a thirteenth Sith on his own, not truly accepted within the Hierarchy. He could muster no real fleet accept the handful of light frigates and fighters he’d managed to procure through back channels. Still his legions of faithful fanatics he’d prepared on Kesh were useless in an interstellar war. That would change however. The darkside told him as such years before, and now the pieces were coming together. He would bend the knee to this new king, present him with gifts unmatched by the others. His acquisition of the relics on the Eternal Vigilance, from the once proud flagship of his brothers and sisters greatest foe would elevate him beyond his current irrelevance.

The darkside was his ally though, it fueled his thoughts, motivated his anger and hate, and propelled him forwards towards victory. Power would wait for him, it would be his eventually... he simply had to be ready to grab it when it came.  

His personal armament ready, Kern now got acquired several other items for the trip, a series of stun mines, and lighting flares. Lastly some hastily assembled explosives, made from several benign chemicals in the freighters hold. His time as an Alliance special forces soldier was invaluable, as explosives and bombs were still second nature to him. He found himself actually enjoying the creation of such devices, considering the rampant carnage and chaos they could cause.

Kern's methods were an amalgam if techniques, from efficient assasinations, to brutal combat. But he was most proud of a Sith's most potent weapon... his mind.

Finally complete after a day of preparation, Kern left the engineering bay to rest, and ready himself for the task ahead. Something aboard the Eternal Vigilance resisted their approach, and Kern was determined to overcome it, by any means necessary.

Edited by Fynn Relmis