Sign in to follow this  
Xae-Lin Ardel

Xae-Lin vs. Aryian - Dathomir [Ian to Judge]

((Setup post on my part, then an introduction post each then fight? I forget how these are supposed to work. 3 post duel once combat starts?))

Xae-Lin moved silently through the familiar jungles near the Great Canyon region of the Dathomiri forest. This had been her childhood home up until the time that she'd made her escape with Kyp Durron, her first teacher in the Jedi ways. She hadn't been back here since she'd faced and bested her mother during her trials, but had felt compelled to return now for some reason. Perhaps it was the Darkeness she knew to be here, calling to those with weaker wills than her own.

As she neared where her village settlement had been she could begin to feel the scars such Darkness had left in the area and wasn't surprised in the least to come upon the burned up husk of the the village that had been before. It was no surprise that the surviving Nightsisters had turned on one another in their quest for power and the entire clan had been the sacrifice as the result.

Navigating the burned out husk of the village, she opened herself to the living Force around her feeling the edges of the scar within the clearing amidst the thick undergrowth of the Dathomiri jungles. It had been several years since her last visit, but something evil had kept the jungle from reclaiming the village. With a heavy heart for the lost souls here, she navigated the village seeking a way to heal the place.

Aryian's mind had been clouded, poisoned. The magicks of Lord Ar-Pharazon were strong indeed, and they held the young Knight strongly in their grip, forcing him to evil, pushing and twisting his mind until he saw a perversion of reality, a warped view of what really was. His goal had been simple: retrieve the relic Ar-Pharazon sought, obliterate anything that stood in the way. Sow chaos, reap anguish. And something had now come in between him and the completion of his mission...an unfortunate Jedi. Aryian was confident in his skills with his saber, having studied Soresu extensively and learning the basics of Vapaad, and his skills in the Force were more than enough to be a match for her.

"My, my, my, said the spider to the fly..."

The echoing voice seemed to come from everywhere at once, striking a chord of terror as its cacophony echoed through the mud and stick huts. To Xae-Lin Ardel, the darkness would swell as Aryian's perverted presence filled the village, souring further what once had been merely uncomfortable. He rounded a corner, and activated his lightsabers at the same time, the silver blades in staff formation casting a menacing glow upon the tainted Jedi in the night air.

"If you surrender now, I might not have too much fun killing you."

((Intro post))

Whirling to face the source of the voice, she instinctively drew her lightsabers, the jade and emerald blades glowing brightly against her grey Mandalorian-style armor as they illuminated her auburn hair and cast their glow on her darkening blue eyes. It wasn't fear that gripped her at the intrusion, but a further resolve to do what she'd come here to do - heal the rift that her family and village had torn within the fabric of the life-force on Dathomir. The presence of this user of the Dark Magic only served to solidify the need to heal the area, and quickly.

"I have dealt with the Darkness here more than once, Spider," she spat derisively, though within the Force she retained her calm. "You will be just the latest in the line that I cleanse from this jungle. I will give you one chance to leave or I will happily force you out myself." As she spoke she could feel the Light Side of the Force welling up within her, a sure sign that her path was true and her mission worthy.

"Darkness has festered in these lands far too long. I seek to cleanse this settlement once and for all. If I have to go through you to do it, then so be it Darkwalker!" She readied her defenses as she brought her lightsabers up and slipped further within the Force's guidence.

((Intro post. First Duelish post goes to you, I guess. ))

((Fine. 1/1))

"You just bit off more than you can chew."

The Force swelled as Aryian gripped tight on it, abusing it to his will. With inhuman speed, he ripped a skull-sized rock up from in front of him, blasting it at her telekinetically. Immediately he charged in behind it, one blade high and to the right, ready to cleave her diagonally in two. Of course, he was expecting a counterattack, and was more than ready to counter with the blade that was further back. He totally could have put more description into this, but it wasn't really necessary and would just be more fluff, much like this sentence.

Xae was ready for his attack and easily split the rock in twain with her off-hand and was ready to engage him as he advanced in behind the projectile. She deflected his initial blow, calllng on her abilities as an Exorcist to weaken his connection with the Dark Side of the Force. Having grown up within this very village, spending much of her early and teenage life drawing upon what Light Side energies she could to combat her mother's will, it was easy to find those connections again. In many ways they were stronger with the demise of the Nightsisters that had once populated this settlement, and she pressed that to her advantage, drawing from the very living life force of the biosphere of area itself to fuel her Exorcist abilities.

Weakening her opponents connection to the Dark Side was only one front of the battle as she still had to fight him along the physical front as well as within the Force. Allowing the will of the Force to flow through her, she closed to lock blades with him. The Force strengthened her as her twin sabers pressed outwards as she twisted her body counter clockwise against his blades, seeking to twist the staff from his grasp as she rotated against the weak point of any human's grip - his thumbs.

((1/3))

((2/3))

Pathetic.

Her counterattack was predictable and weak. Instead, he pulled back, disengaging from her twist but spinning the staff to deflect any residual effort she may have put into the swing so as to ensure his legs weren't clipped. But that was just muscle memory and instinct Soresu movements guiding him. The Force was a different animal entirely. Already he could feel his grasp weakening, and that needed to stop, immediately. Exorcists were something he was familiar with, a bastardization of the Consular sect of the Order, specialized in neutralizing the Dark Side through the Force. But she wouldn't be able to use the Force if she couldn't access it...

As his bottom blade tossed the tip of her lightsaber aside like a plaything, he summoned a small telekinetic Force blast directly in front of her forehead, that would hit her with about the force of a punch. This would serve to the effect of disrupting her concentration of the Force, as well as leaving her wide open to his lightsaber's non-blocking blade from her weak side. When you only have one saber, you can only block one blade. The staff style might have been a slower style focused on power over form or speed, but he still commanded twice the effective firepower on the field, and that was an advantage he was unwilling to let go to waste. Their thoughts linked, his musings echoed maliciously in her head.

You will die, like your predecessors. You are all vermin, ripe for slaughter.

((2/3 --- umm, she's got two single bladed lightsabers, not one. ))

As she felt him draw back against the twist she was immediately on her guard as she brought her off-handed blade around in a back-handed strike aimed at taking off his head even has his bottom blade deflected her main hand's strike. Reversing her main hand grip she used the change in momentum to punch him with an upper jab as she backed the move with the gathered Force energy even as she felt his Force blow connect with her, driving her back several paces.

She shook off the blow and narrowly missed getting clipped by his sweeping blade, opting to duck low instead and swept her leg out to knock his feet from under him, acting more out of instinct than anything else as she worked to regain her focus.

Spinning up to her feet she struck again as she felt the Light rise within her, calling to her and ultimately erupting from her hand as she sought to disrupt her opponents own connection with the Dark Side, blinding him with the pure brilliant white light as she pressed her attack seeking to disable him once more.

((3/3 - Oh. Oops.))

Not paying close attention was probably a side effect of being poisoned and forced to the Dark side, his entire perception clouded, he momentarily disregarded her offhand saber. Still, Soresu focused on defense, and it was a small movement to catch her offensive blade in his inner circle of defense, late at it was, it was still deflected and dealt with, returning her to his outer circle of defense. As she struck towards him, it was a simple maneuver to catch the back of her wrist on the middle of his staff, twisting his saber as he disengaged so as to disarm her of the one she held in the offensive fist.

You've put up quite a fight, but you'll be put down soo-

A bright-hot pain ripped through him as she brought the full brunt of her Exorcist powers to bear, but pain was his ally. Exorcists always proved to be fools, hoping that through the very tools the servants of the Dark side used they could extinguish them, and yet it only served to strengthen their resolve. Pain let him know he was still there. It was mildly disorienting, but fed into his rage. As she attacked with her sabers once more, a foolhardy move against his superior rock-solid Soresu defense, he parried and struck once more, using his last bits of connection to the Force to summon a Force barrier in the direction the obvious dodge would be in, blocking her off. Attempting to deflect his staff saber would likely result in injury, attempting to dodge would likely result in death. Relying on her exorcist powers to further drain him would be meaningless past this unless for a moment she decided to think outside the box, but given how she had reacted thus far, it was unlikely.

Checkmate.

((Apparently I don't know how these are supposed to work, but whatever... 3/3))

Instead of panicking as he tried to wrench her own lightsaber from her grip she used the Mandalorian Iron armor she wore to her advantage and leaned her arm into the spin as she turned off the blade and struck with her elbow in the same motion as the lightsaber-resistant material protected her forearm. Letting the sudden lack of resistance to his blade catch him off balance, coupled with her blow she finished the move behind him, but found herself against a Force barrier.

It struck her as odd that her own abilities in purging the Dark Side had seemed to only spur this fight on further. Perhaps she had more to learn than she thought, or perhaps this man was far stronger than she'd assumed him to be. Either way, the time had come to change tactics if she were to survive this.

Luckily the Force-shield had only been conjured laterally and not vertically, so she called on the Force leaping high out of his reach and into one of the nearby trees. Calling upon the life that was the biosphere of Dathomir to assist her in purging this dark stain from his vibrant surface so the jungle could reclaim its due, she could sense all manner of creatures harkening to the call as she remained safely tucked away in the treetops above.

The Darksider could not possibly hope to keep them all at bay as the lower gravity of the planet resulted in some rather large creatures, and not just the Rancors the planet was infamous for. A herd of stampeding bolma like the one advancing on his position, for example, were impossible to stop.

((That was interesting...))

There is something nice about reading a duel where both parties make concise posts with relatively simple actions, but it does make it more difficult to come up with a winner.

Xae -- Reasonably good duel. Your counter to Aryian's final post was solid, but your final attack calling the animals in should have been initiated much earlier in the duel. Unless there was a ring of beasts and rancors spectating on the fight already, they're not going to arrive before the conclusion of the duel when they are added almost as an afterthought in post 3. The other weird thing you did was in post 2 where you kind of went back in time to before his Force punch, almost tacking moves onto the previous post retroactively. It created this weird situation in his next post where he reacts to those actions and the order of events gets screwy.

Aryian -- I know this is kind of your thing, but I have to call out the fourth wall breakage in duel post 1 as pretty poor style, as in this case it came across merely as lazy writing. I liked your tactic in post 3, but at no point did you acknowledge that your opponent was wearing armor or suffer any sort of disadvantage from her exorcist techniques -- putting the effects off until after the conclusion of the duel doesn't win you any points. Particularly in post 3 you used a Force shield right in the wake of a blast from Xae that was specifically designed to keep Aryian from drawing on the Force. You also failed to account for the leg sweep she initiated in post 2.

Overall not a bad read. Like I said, there were not enough tactical actions for there to be a clear advantage on either side, but I feel like Aryian's lack of attention to detail and refusal to let the exorcist powers do anything more than inconvenience him loses this fight. Xae's fight wasn't perfect either, but using her specific powers, her armor, and and her connection to her homeworld just means she brought more to the fight than he did.

Xae wins.