Rish'navin

handofthrawn

Raynuk merely nodded in agreement to Raia’s acquiescence that there were things she didn’t yet understand, before she spouted off another seemingly random biological fact.

“It is indeed different, but it all depends on how a particular species evolved, both physically and culturally, and as you have experienced first hand, even being the same species does not preclude us to not be different in some ways. Dathomir is a very different place than say, Corellia, as you now understand.”

He was going to respond to her defense of her logic, but stopped as a thought struck him, turning suddenly to Raia with a scrupulous eye.

“Wait a second… how do you even know what Emily and I did or didn’t talk about? You were off tending to the tuk’atas!” He questioned her, a little shocked not only that he hadn’t picked up on it before, but also that Raia would have been eavesdropping in the first place.

The girl had the grace to look apologetic.

He fixed her with a disapproving frown, letting it sink in before he continued on.

“But getting back to your point… there are certainly examples in nature where the male and the female choose the other as mates, but there are also examples in which one side or the other does not choose or agree to the mate.” He looked at Raia again, a bit of compassion and concern in his face.

“And that unfortunately is one aspect of nature that is not lost among us sentient species; there are people out there, who prey upon the weak and those perceived as weak. The tuk’atas on Korriban… they saw you as prey. There are people who will do the same. They will not see Raia Montar, Sith Apprentice, Daughter of the Warrior King; all they will see is a small teenaged girl with a pretty face…”

He took Raia’s hand as his tone grew more serious. “You remember when Delta kissed you without your permission? That is the most innocent example of what I am talking about. I hope you never have to experience the harshest form of having someone force themselves upon you; someone who does not care about your feelings or your desires, or your wishes. There are individuals out there, Sith or not, who would have little moral trouble with ripping at your clothing and spoiling you.”

He looked back up, towards where Emily had departed. “I would not be surprised if that is part of what Emily is feeling; like she has been ‘spoiled’ or ‘tainted’ or feels ‘unclean’ because of what the Cult has done.”

He turned back to her and patted her hand. “Suffice to say, studying nature may yield you answers and knowledge, but there will always be those that will surprise you; be it good or bad.”

1fE1uLv.png

I ate a hippo. It was delicious.

May the Forth therve you well...

The shy smile that had surfaced when he'd called her “pretty” faded when his warning came and Raia couldn't help the chill that ran through her. She'd witnessed such acts among those left on Spite Station while she hid in the access tunnels to avoid the same fate.

The girl fell silent for a few moments while she processed the lesson he was trying to impart. “Furion forced this on me,” she observed quietly, running her free hand across the tattoo that now ran its sharp raven lines in intricate designs down her pale arms.

“I didn’t want it. I don’t want it, but I can’t make it go away. It reminds me of him and what he did and I hate it.” Her voice caught and she found herself blinking back tears of rage and anger. “I really don’t want to think about what could be worse than what’s already happened.” She gripped his hand tightly. “You can teach me how to fight, right? So nothing worse happens?”

OGKL9H5.png

PMs need to be sent to Mirdala if you want a timely response.

Provide anonymous IC feedback here.

“That goes without saying meita He answered, “The daughter of the Warrior King should expect nothing less.”

A rare amused smile crossed his face before he stood, and stretched slightly. “But I think perhaps such things should wait until tomorrow; we’ve all had a long day. Plus… I haven’t seen Vex’aedr and Roe’gall since before dinner. Lords know what mischief they’ve gotten into…”

He looked out the doorway for a moment, seeming to attempt to listen for the inevitable sound of something crashing or breaking, but heard only the dull silence of the compound.

1fE1uLv.png

When he looked away, Raia stood up and hugged him. “Don’t be too hard on them. I don’t think they like being cooped up in the ship. At least Roe’gall will have space to run while he and Emily are here.”

Stepping back, she paused considering her own path for the evening. “I think I’ll stay on the Ravenhammer tonight. I want to paint again. It’s been so long and I should probably clean up my walls a bit. Enjoy things here.” She gave him one last hug before dashing off toward where the ship was docked.

OGKL9H5.png

Raynuk lingered a few moments after Raia ran off back towards the Ravenhammer, and a part of him wondered just how ‘in depth’ her painting session would be aboard his ship, but decided that if she so chose to repaint her room again, then so be it. She should be allowed such freedoms while she could still cherish and enjoy them.

Despite being tired himself however, he was far too wound up from his conversations with Emily and Raia for slumber to come to him so easily. Instead, having taken note of several locations during their earlier tour, Raynuk decided to go for a walk amidst the silence and stillness. So much of his life - past, present, and future - was heavily dependent on moments of chaos and unmitigated destructive warfare, that truly quieter moments where he could allow his strategic mind to rest, were increasingly hard to latch on to.

Eventually however, Raynuk had unwound himself one footfall at a time, and he diverted his course back towards the landing area, pausing just outside the doorway that lead to the Ravenhammer.

As kind as Emily’s offer had been, Raia’s decision to return to the ship as opposed to staying within the compound left him feeling that he should also decline the comforts offered. Much about Raia continued to be in flux, least of all which being her powers and connection to the Force. And although he trusted her as much as one can trust a teenaged girl, the protective nature within him demanded that he not be terribly far from her should nightmares or terrors consume her again.

The fates intervened on him once more, just as he was about to step forward out the door towards the Ravenhammer, as a voice that had always equally emboldened him and pierced him came to his mind in a whisper.

Tirzah’s gone…

His eyes slid closed as he reached back towards her, instantly becoming awash in the vulnerable anguish that came with the fearful whisper. His own thoughts of parental duty and protection returned to him, now engulfed in the anguish that Jaina had projected through their bond, and he understood, so much more than Jaina likely figured he would.

His eyes slid open, and he released the breath he did not realize he had been holding. He glanced at the Ravenhammer for but a moment, and then turned on his heel to navigate the compound once more.

Initially content with allowing Vex and Roe to wander as they saw fit, Raynuk found himself determined to aid Jaina, complications be damned. He found the pair lounging in one of the courtyards, both nearly asleep as they lay entwined with each other as only sibling animals would. They both awoke and lifted their heads as he approached however, sensing the raw power of determination he carried.

“Vex, it is time to go.” He said simply to the white tuk’ata, before glancing at Roe’gall and kneeling before the first of his companion creations.

“This is where we part again old friend. You are home once more… Your devotion, both to me and to her, is without question, and your presence will be missed at my side. But now, as in the past, your presence is needed here, with her.”

Placing his hands on the side of Roe’gall’s massive head, Raynuk bumped his forehead into the tuk’ata’s and held it there. “Until our paths cross again biedrs.”

He lingered a moment longer, and then stood once more, giving Vex a glance before turning to head back to the Ravenhammer, knowing the white tuk’ata would have his own goodbye with Roe’gall and then follow. As he walked back, Raynuk pulled up his gauntlet, and began recording a message that he intended to leave for Emily for when she awoke.

Once he arrived back at the ship, he immediately boarded it, and headed to the cockpit. He was surprised to find that 2V was for once not sitting in the cockpit, but did not bother with concern over where the droid was, as he fell back towards the connection to Jaina.

Tell me what I can do...

-----------------------

Comm left for Emily:

Emily,

I apologize that our departure is so sudden, and without a proper goodbye as we both likely intended. After you took your leave of my company last night, Raia decided to return to the Ravenhammer; she wanted to paint some more, and thus I was left alone with my thoughts as I strolled through your palace. But now, something has come up in the greater galaxy that I felt I must attend to with haste, thus leading to my sudden and unannounced departure.

I am glad we got the chance to talk and clear the air, and my very soul still aches with the knowledge of what the Cult put you though in my name. I know you are strong, but even the strong need rest from time to time, and I now can see why you chose Rish'navin to call your own. It is nothing less than a beauty of a planet, and one that I am envious of. It has planted the seed in my own mind that perhaps one day I may claim such a planet to call my own. Enjoy the planet and what it offers you.

You no doubt already know that I chose not to take Roe'gall with me. I am assured in the fact that his place is at your side, just as it has been since you first took possession of him so many years ago. He too requires some semblance of rest following the adventures I dragged him into, be it willingly or not. I know you reject the idea that you are some delicate flower to be protected and kept off of the front lines, and I can no more deny you your own vengeance as prevent a planet from orbiting...

So with that in mind, I will leave you with the only stones I know of that i have yet to turn over; of the original six planets we had information on, only three remain. Lehon and Tython are among them, and we both know those will be hard to investigate without full disclosure and cooperation with the Jedi, which leaves Yavin IV. Unfortunately, I have next to nothing on where or why the cultists went there. Yet, I think it might be just the mystery for you to throw yourself at and distract yourself with when you feel you are ready.

The road has been rough for us since my return... Perhaps harder on you than me. Yet through it all, I am still your former Master, and you my former Apprentice, and that is something no cult or personal drama can destroy or sunder. I do not intend to fail you in your moments of strife again.

May the Force Keep you Strong.

1fE1uLv.png

Raia paused as she came out of the galley, a glass full of murky colored water and brushes in hand and caught a glimpse of Raynuk on board the Ravenhammer. It was hard to miss the sound of the ramp lowering, but she’d expected he’d sent Vex along to watch over her while he stayed with Emily.

Something in his mannerisms felt off like something was wrong. Raia set the cup and brushes on the table, continuing after him into the cockpit. Tetis? What’s happened?”

Raynuk visibly sighed, pausing in the middle of the preflight checklist, a moment of silence passing before he answered. “I’m not entirely sure yet but…”

“I got a… feeling. Through the Force, from Jaina. Something happened to Tirzah.” He finally coalesced what he had felt through their connection. “I can feel Jaina… she’s… worried, and scared.”

Raia’s eyes widened in fear for her friend, but she said nothing as she took the seat beside him and strapped herself in, hoping that Emily wouldn’t take their abrupt departure badly.

OGKL9H5.png

Emily had retired to her room, and was proud of herself that she managed not to cry. Instead, she had focused on small things--taking a shower, drying and brushing her hair, putting on her pajamas. She could sense Raynuk and Raia still in the dining room, talking--about her, likely, she figured. She hoped that she and Raia would have more time to talk tomorrow. She got the impression that Raia no longer considered her to be or wanted her to be her master. That saddened Emily, but she couldn't fault the girl. She did, however, want to make sure that she wasn't just imagining things.

Fatigue dragged at her. She felt emotionally better than she had for a while--while things hadn't worked out how she had hoped they would with Raynuk, they were as good as she could have reasonably expected, and that was a bit of weight off her chest--but she hadn't physically recovered, despite her time in the bacta on Carida. The doctors had warned her about this, but she hadn't expected it to linger so long. Nevertheless, she decided to go to bed early. Her guests had everything they would need for the night, and she could talk with them again in the morning.

Nightmares filled her sleep. One would pass and another would begin. After one particularly bad one that she never cared to remember ever again, she woke with a start, breathing heavily. She glanced at the chrono on the other side of the room. It was the wee hours of Rish'navin's night, and the glow from the gas giant the moon orbited cast an ultramarine light through the windows. Taking a deep breath, she reached out to the Force to steady herself, and was suddenly struck with emptiness. She was alone. Raynuk and Raia were gone. They had snuck out in the middle of the night and hadn't even said goodbye.

The deep ache in her heart expanded. She bit her lip and let her eyes fall closed as she composed herself. Something nagged at her in the back of her mind, and she opened her eyes again. Her gaze fell to her comlink, which was blinking. Sitting up, she reached for it and played the recorded message.

It...was an apology, something that she knew he hated giving, and an offer. She had to look behind the what was stated directly, but from it, she got the impression that he really did regret the rudeness that had called the two of them away unexpectedly. She wished that they had asked her to come with them, but knew it was probably for the best. That was a direction that she didn't think they would ever walk in again. Their paths may come parallel, but she didn't think they would ever touch for very long.

She smiled wistfully at his final comment. I do not intend to fail you in your moments of strife again. It was a nice sentiment, and she appreciated it, but she didn't put much store in it. He had never once been able to keep that promise, through all the years she had known him. Maybe next time would be different, or maybe not. But for now, she'd have to be ready for whatever came, and to face it alone.

Shutting down the comlink, she merely reached out to him in the Force. While their personal bond was in tatters, it was as he had said--they still had the bond of being master and apprentice, of having known each other for more than ten years. He was already too far for her to communicate anything, but he felt exhausted, and so she simply let a sense of farewell and best wishes flow towards him.

Suddenly tired again, she lay back down and after a few minutes, was asleep again.

---

The next morning, she woke early and went for a swim in her pool. The water was cool and refreshing. She was laying in the morning sun, drying off, when her comm chirped again, this time signaling an incoming live message. Her heart caught in her throat. Jaina... After a moment, she activated it.

---

(edit 10/15)

The conversation with Jaina had been painful, but short, and in the end, it left Emily with a fresh purpose. This was where she was supposed to be. And she finally had something to do but wallow in her pain. A ghost of amusement graced her face. Raynuk had wanted her to stay and heal...but this would heal her faster than anything. She needed purpose and distraction, and helping rescue her cousin would be exactly that.

She dressed and packed a bag with a few changes of clothes. She'd certainly miss her armor, but there was nothing for it. At least she had remade her weapons. Her new lightsabers still needed crystals, but she could make those in the Sith tradition on her way to meet Jaina. The long hyperspace journey would give her plenty of time. And if not, she thankfully still had her father's axe.

Lastly, she rounded up Roe'gall. He was still injured, but Emily refused to leave him behind. "You know what this means, don't you?" she asked him after he had head-butted her for suggesting otherwise. "You get a bacta dunk."

He whined, but she could tell he would gladly go through it to be at her side. "Alright, then, let's go."

Everything worked out. Her new ship was waiting, having just been delivered that morning. She hadn't named it yet. But she supposed that could wait too. Climbing aboard, she got Roe'gall dunked, then strapped in and headed for hyperspace.

Emily%202015_zps34rpkjob.jpg

"Days in the sun...what I'd give to relive just one. Undo what's done, and bring back the light."