Maelstrom

Let's play Geoguessr

I just discovered this, and I was really pleased that I got 4 out of 5 right. I correctly guessed Finland, northern Minnesota, British Columbia, and northern Georgia. Thailand really threw me off because I wasn't familiar with the vegetation and was restricted to a parking lot (couldn't see license plates). I guessed Los Angeles.

http://www.geoguessr.com?s=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

So....beat my score of 11,080!

All you cheaters should just go to the homepage: http://geoguessr.com/ It'll give you a new set of locations.

What Randall said in the xkcd that Aryian linked is pretty accurate. I got a few that were just dirt roads that could have been anywhere. Twice I guessed the middle of the US and it was actually in Sweden. Another brutal one ended up being in South Africa in a housing development which looked like it could be from any first-world country in the world. I got most of my points from one where there was a sign I could read saying "Marion Bay". I was about to guess that it was in Florida or something, but decided to do a google search and it was in southern Australia. So my guess ended up being super close.

Still, I only got 4287 points.

I was surprised that this might be one of the most practical uses of my knowledge of botany. Based on the trees and topography I could ballpark it pretty well. However, they put me in the middle of a parking lot and I was screwed.

I have to say for me the Finland one was extremely obvious... funny that!

I try to work out the languages... apparently I don't recognise Japanese but I'm pretty sure that's the word for pharmacy in cyrillic!

Headshot. 14,795 points. Link.

I had a really bad guess in there, one of them I was lucky to get pretty close in Australia, and then for the other three I managed to do some careful searching to find signs from either storefronts or something like highway onramps--in English--to give a very accurate guess.

I either don't have the patience or I just mostly suck at this game. I did get closer than you on australia but beyond that not much luck.

But I did just get lucky with this one I did.

15,293 points. link