Primary Terrain: arid, smoky, volcanic

Points of Interest: The Hermit’s Dojo

Societal Information

Indigenous Species: none

Immigrated Species: humans

Primary Language(s): Galactic Basic, Binary

Faction Affiliation: neutral

Defense Rating: Level 5

JediRP Canon History: Mechis III is home to the Hermit’s Dojo, a sanctuary for gray Force-wielders and Dark Jedi, built by the Gray Master Aryian Darkfire.

The Dojo itself is built into the side of a high cliff, nearby to a large matter reclamation facility. The reclamation facility's purpose is to melt down the excess metals used in the forging processes from the various factories on that section of the planet. From high upon the cliff, the metals pour down into receptacle buildings below, which magnetically and mechanically separate the metals and repurpose them for use in the forging process. The view is amazing, if dangerous. Ray shielding protects the dojo from the heat and volatile gases produced from the reclamation facility's process, however it is mostly for comfort, as both the heat and fumes are minor hazards at best. Hung out over the cliff is a large balcony, acting as both a training area and makeshift lecture hall.

The main entrance to the dojo is opposite the cliff face, a large hall as was traditional in many of the temples of Jedi and Sith past. Statues lined the hall, twenty feet high, of both famous Jedi and Sith. Adi-Wan, Barohm Zar, Master Prophet, Kakuto Ryu, Ara-Lai Kaipi and Darth Heretic were only a hand full of the names that lined the hall, in no particular order or arrangement. Past the great hall was a small lobby and meditation area, with two fountains and various lounging accommodations. Further in was a dining hall and living areas, and then several smaller meditation chambers and two sparring arenas, as well as a few rooms equipped with tools that would aid in Force training. There was a much larger sparring ring even further back, and then the balcony. On the top of the cliff were landing pads and two entrances down into the dojo. Before reaching the main facilities, though, the two entrances have large rooms just below the surface with main computer terminals for communication and research. There is an under level, found through turbolifts off of the main reception area, that contains an expansive though meagerly equipped medical bay and cloning rooms, designed mostly for healing wounds after sparring accidents, though the capabilities of what it could become were fairly limitless due to the planet's capability to construct any piece of technology, medical or otherwise.

The Dojo has no defenses, internal or external. Mechis III has enough defenses of its own to enforce its neutrality, despite the hopes that they will never be used. Lastly, the building is equipped with air regulation and filtration devices, to clean the polluted air of the planet and to keep the Dojo at a comfortably cool temperature. This, of course, does not apply to the external landing pads on the 'roof'.

((Summary compiled by Amidala Skywalker. Thank you!))

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Once completed, the Dojo's description is as follows:

The Dojo itself is built into the side of a high cliff, nearby to a large matter reclamation facility. The reclamation facility's purpose is to melt down the excess metals used in the forging processes from the various factories on that section of the planet. From high upon the cliff, the metals pour down into receptacle buildings below, which magnetically and otherwise separate the metals and repurpose them for use in the forging process. The view is amazing, if not dangerous. Ray shielding protects the dojo from the heat and volatile gases produced from the reclamation facility's process, however it is mostly for comfort, as both the heat and fumes are minor hazards at best. Hung out over the cliff is a large balcony, acting as both a training area and makeshift lecture hall.

The main entrance to the dojo is opposite the cliff face, a large hall as was traditional in many of the temples of Jedi and Sith past. Statues lined the hall, twenty feet high, of both famous Jedi and Sith. Adi-Wan, Barohm Zar, Master Prophet, Kakuto Ryu, Ara-Lai Kaipi and Darth Heretic were only a hand full of the names that lined the hall, in no particular order or arrangement. Past the great hall was a small lobby and meditation area, with two fountains and various lounging accommodations. Further in was a dining hall and living areas, and then several smaller meditation chambers and two sparring arenas, as well as a few rooms equipped with tools that would aid in Force training. There was a much larger sparring ring even further back, and then the balcony. On the top of the cliff were landing pads and two entrances down into the dojo. Before reaching the main facilities, though, the two entrances have large rooms just below the surface with main computer terminals for communication and research. There is an under level, found through the same turbolifts, that contains an expansive though meagerly equipped medical bay and cloning rooms, designed mostly for healing wounds after sparring accidents, though the capabilities of what it could become were infinite due to the planet's literal ability to craft any piece of technology, medical or otherwise.

The Dojo has no defenses, internal or external. Mechis III has enough defenses of its own to enforce its neutrality, despite the hopes that they will never be used. Lastly, the building is equipped with air regulation and filtration devices, to clean the polluted air of the planet and to keep the Dojo at a comfortably cool temperature. This, of course, does not apply to the external landing pads on the 'roof'.

Edited by Guest

Immediately reachable by  charlesjhall@gmail.com

Blz1mwg.png

((Excuse the double post))

Aryian waited on the landing pads, having been notified of his visitor. Julio worked faster than the old Master had expected, but it mattered little. At least it gave him something to do. Within a few minutes the skiff came into view, and the girl had exited the rusted craft. Making a mental note to 'polish up the furnishings', the Grey Master walked forward, studying the young woman.

"Rose, is it? Your father asked me to take you in and train you. But, as I told him, I will only do so if you wish it. I will guide you and provide insight, but your choices and path will be your own. I am simply the illuminator of that path."

Blz1mwg.png

At first she was quiet, taking pause to consider this prospective new Master's words and how he carried himself. She tried to study him, look past the facade that everyone always put up to see the individual beneath the mask. Yet there was something out of place about this Aryian Darkfire. There didn't appear to be any overt defenses, nor any concentration devoted toward controlling himself or maintaining any inward peace. He, much like the background world around them, seemed to simply be, content in his being with no inward or outward motion. He felt genuine, naturally serene. All of this just sat wrong with Rose somehow. It didn't feel right.

"That seems...almost empty." She said quizzically after some consideration. "Is not the essence of training to unfold a path before the student? Whatever you teach me, in whatever mannerisms you wish to teach me through will invariably mold me after yourself in some fashion, will they not?"

As soon as the thought completed itself the young girl instantly blushed and felt somewhat embarrassed. Here she was, in front of who was supposed to be her new Master and already she was calling him empty, essentially foolish in a way. They were her father's thoughts and almost to the tee his words unfolding from her mind like her very own. For years she had adored him, looked up to him, and studied his every action and choice to try to understand him yet now it seemed it had imprinted on her all too easily. It was almost to prove the philosophical question to be true in the way Julio had already molded her after himself so well without so much as lifting a finger. Was this why he had always sent her away? Because he knew he had already taken her as far as he needed to to plant the seed of his perspective?

"I...I'm sorry." She stammered out as her cheeks began to flush. "I didn't mean to insult you. It is just that...I don't really know my path at all. All I have is what I've gotten from my father's library over the years, and from listening in on his lectures. I could simply say that I am Sith and be done with it, couldn't I? But the entire way to Mechis I couldn't help but think that if that was what my father intended he could have trained me himself, or had any other Master of the Order see to me."

They were barely noticeable, but the tiniest of tears began to well up in her eyes as the panic of uncertainty fell sway over the hardened resolve of Julio she had tried to emulate for so long. "Why did he send me here, Master Darkfire?" Her tone held notes of desperation, confusion. Just when she thought she had made the choices herself, to finally embrace the dark side and begin her training, she was abandoned yet again to a Master that was nothing like her cold, ambitious father. It didn't make sense. Was this all another test? Why did she even have to kill that man?...

Aryian remained silent as the girl stammered through her response, emotions clearly in high fluctuation. He could feel them as clearly as a small storm brewing, and though she was troubled, he was not. This was a sanctuary, he was here for her. Albeit at the request of her father, but that wouldn't have stopped him from offering the same services to her or anyone else under different means. Still, he decided to answer the more pressing question first, since she looked almost on the verge of tears. And though normally it wouldn't be surprising given the level of pollution in the atmosphere, Aryian quite clearly knew otherwise.

"I don't know exactly why he sent you to me. Your father and I have...history, shall we say. And though we were once rivals, our skills are both great. Perhaps he trusts me more than those in the Sith Order? Perhaps he doesn't wish to see you harmed on the front lines of a battle that he foresees in the future? The point, though an emotionally strong one, is moot. You are here. However...your choices remain your own. Your loyalties remain your own. Here, I will not ask you to only view something from one perspective, instead I will show it to you from all perspectives, and allow you to choose your own path."

He smiled at her a moment, letting the knowledge sink in while he wiped the sweat from his brow. Mechis III was a naturally hot planet, and being next to the reclamation facility certainly didn't help.

"And yes. You could say my methods are rather...'hollow'. You could even say they really go against what it means to properly train someone. You're perceptive in the fact that you were right, invariably some of my perception will probably rub off on you. But not all of it. I won't force you to walk my path or see things the way I do. I see no reason to try and convert you to one methodology of thought when ultimately, it will make little difference. At least...that is speaking from my perspective. For every Sith, a Jedi will rise to defend the weak, for every Jedi, a Sith will grow their power to subject others to their will. I see it as simply is the way of things in this universe. I cannot stop it, so why should I try to hinder it? Instead, I will merely allow those I train to open their minds to all possibilities the Force has to offer, be it power or knowledge, or even influence."

He gestured towards the entrance to the turbolift, beckoning her to follow him.

"I know the dojo isn't quite complete yet, but there is food and it is much cooler inside than out here. You're welcome to ask of what you would from me, or just stay as long as you please. And you don't need to decide your path just yet...you have much time. And I have much to teach, if you are willing. But first, please come inside. I tend to prattle on, and it's hot out here."

Blz1mwg.png

When the Shadow's Shine came out of hyperspace above Mechis III, Eris realized she had been here before. Her memories of the planet were not particularly pleasant, but she strove to forget them as she followed the coordinates to the Dojo. The reflective black surface of the ship picked up highlights from the molten metals as she brought it down for a graceful landing on the top of the cliff.

"C'mon, boy," she beckoned to Roe'gall as she strode towards the lowered ramp. The air was hot and it had a decidedly metallic tang as the wind swept over the landing platform. "Now, boy, we're here to learn, not to fight, so don't go attacking anyone at first sight, okay?" The tuk'ata lowered his head and snuffled her hair affectionately. "Good boy."

Looking around, she noticed two figures, a man and a woman, heading towards a turbolift. Assuming that was the way in, she followed, curious to see what her new life here would be like.

Emily%202015_zps34rpkjob.jpg

"Days in the sun...what I'd give to relive just one. Undo what's done, and bring back the light."

As Aryian walked toward the turbolift, he felt the pilot first before he heard the ship, and craned his head upwards to peer at it. However, he only paused until the ship landed, and the landing ramp dropped, the two passengers exiting the vessel. Waving them over, he continued into the turbolift, holding the door open for them.

Blz1mwg.png

Emily hurried to catch up when she saw the man slow his pace and hold the lift door open for them. Thankfully, the lift was large, but even still, the presence of a large, mutated tuk'ata made any conversation in the lift quite impossible.

When the ride came to an end, she was glad to get out of there. Turning, she could finally see the man and woman clearly for the first time. The man, she assumed, was Master Darkfire. She had never met him before, but he looked like his holos. She got a very conflicting read off of him through the Force, but it was certain that he was powerful and had a vast amount of experience. "Are you Master Darkfire?" she asked, just to be certain. "I'm eager to learn."

The woman, she recognized immediately. "Ah, Rose, isn't it?" She had run into Furion's daughter several times over the course of her months at Spite Station. She wondered if her father knew she was here, but then immediately discarded the idea. Rose had always struck her as a meek one, doing whatever her father said without question. She would not have the heart to do anything rebellious. But of course, Furion's sending her here was interesting. She had long ago given up on figuring out the Dark Lord.

"I'm Emily," she said, choosing not to use her Sith name. If she was going to allow herself to grow and change, she would start by being who she really was. "Emily Skywalker."

"Days in the sun...what I'd give to relive just one. Undo what's done, and bring back the light."

Aryian simply nodded when questioned about his identity, more curious to see the interaction between the other two than engage in conversation quite yet. As for the large beast the older woman brought with her, it was fearsome, and admittedly Aryian was a little on edge around it, despite clearly knowing through his senses that it wouldn't attack.

Blz1mwg.png

Suddenly aware of herself, Rose quietly sniffed her nose and rubbed her eyes dry as she felt the distantly familiar presence of another Sith. She had let her guard down with Master Aryian. It had been so easy. Not at all hostile, not at all holding that stigma of selfish indulgence of her father's clan. In fact Aryian seemed as if he was genuinely passionate about helping Rose find who she wanted to be, as confounding as a concept as that seemed. The open display of helpfulness was troubling to say the least, not at all what she had grown up with. So the very moment one from that other life entered the picture, the strong, well guarded Rose fell right back into place.

"Hello, Lord Eris." She said as she turned around to look at her face to face, her smile brightly lit as she rose from her respectful bow. She knew everyone in the Sith Order, down to the names and faces of acolytes who's simple duties were to look after the station and maintain its functions. It was just a habit her father had gotten her into. He had said 'There is not a single person under you that you should not be familiar with. Betrayal always comes from within.' Emily had been one of the less ambitious Sith in the ranks, but still held a name for her capability and old family ties. She had never been as twisted or malicious as some Sith, which perhaps gave her the monicker of soft hearted, but Rose knew all too well how the stronger beasts had a habit of hiding just below the surface. "I can't say I'm too surprised to see you here. Many figured you would take on an apprentice and begin your own researches after attaining the rank of Lord, but the Dark Lord always knew your path would be a... careful one."

She didn't know why she was speaking to Emily in such a way, with such a one sided familiarity that only showed how deep Rose was behind the inner workings of the Sith. Maybe it was because it was the only thing she had to talk to Emily about, as the only point in commonality between them, but even then Rose knew that to not be the whole truth. She didn't trust another Sith, and in tipping her hand to the political scene of the Sith Rose had shown how well connected she was and proved she was not a simple child. Whether she did it on purpose or instinctually, the young girl had in a way ensured that this potential rival knew who she would be messing with.

The Turbolift ride was short, and opened into one of the inner halls near the dining area, which was Aryian's destination. Quietly he walked out and down the hall, making the one turn to enter the dining area, still listening. Unfortunately, the room wasn't completely built yet as far as food accommodations, but there were still tables and chairs, and several crates of prepackaged field rations for visitors to use. Cracking open a crate, Aryian grabbed one of the meal pouches and sat at a nearby table, extricating its contents and nibbling on the food inside, a kind of Corellian pasta dish. All the while, he observed the two, resigning himself to silence until he was spoken to again. But until then, he was hungry.

Blz1mwg.png

It was all Emily could do not to snort with amusement at Rose's response. Clearly, the young woman had listened to every word her father had said, and would be acting as a mini-Furion during their time here. Oh well, she thought. I can play that game. She had hoped that this would be a place where she would have the opportunity to have a fresh start, but if Rose was determined to act this way, then that was fine with Emily. Frankly, she almost didn't blame her. She hadn't expected to see any other Sith here. Even if Rose wasn't a full Sith, she was deep in Furion's plots. And Emily had quickly learned that Furion was not trustworthy.

So she would keep Rose at a distance, which seemed to be what the other woman wanted anyway.

In the meantime, their silent host had led them to the cafeteria. The smells of cooking food made her realize how hungry she was after her long journey through hyperspace. She helped herself to a meal of spiced ribenes and a juice of some fruit from Corellia. It was good. As she finished picking the meat off the ribenes, she tossed the bones to Roe'gall, who gobbled them with some ferocity. She smiled as she saw Darkfire eying the beast uncertainly. Roe'gall had been bred to intimidate, and even to Emily he could sometimes strike her as something to be feared. She tossed the beast her last few ribenes and wiped her hands on her napkin.

"So, master, what are your plans for our training?" She had eaten and was refreshed, ready to get to work.

"Well firstly," Aryian said, wiping a few crumbs from his mouth, "My name is Aryian. You're free to call me such. Titles are for the Orders. Here, in this dojo, we are all learners, even me. If you still wish to address me as 'Master', you may, but I am not your Master, you are free to leave at any time during your studies when you feel you have learned enough from me. Maybe in more formal settings it would be appropriate, but even the most learned Masters can still be taught a thing or two."

He took a swig of the water pouch from his field ration case, to wash the last bit of the food down his parched throat.

"I will train to you what you wish to learn. Whether that be philosophy or hard technique is up to you. Some things will be easy, some things won't be. As far as Rose though, her father wishes me to look after her, train her proficiently in the arts of the Force. I intend to train her to the point to where she can defend herself and hold her own, however long that takes. As for you, Emily...what exactly do you expect from me?"

Blz1mwg.png

Aryian's first words made her smile inwardly. She had hoped that would be his take on things, for it was one she fully agreed with. She could think of no one who could not learn more. His words about Rose also settled her mind, for suddenly her presence here made sense. Furion didn't want to leave her with the treacherous Sith, for he wanted to protect her, and yet he didn't trust the Jedi. If he wanted to her to get training to protect herself from potential threats from both Orders, logic said that she would need to learn from someone outside both of them. She wasn't a true believer, she was just here for vague Force skills training.

As he asked her what she expected, however, she took her time answering, setting her empty plate on the floor for Roe'gall to lick clean as she thought. Part of it was that she didn't fully know how to express the answer. "You claim to be a gray master, a master of both Sith and Jedi and neither. It follows then that you have seen that neither Order has a completely correct view of the nature of the Force. I have seen this myself. I'm frustrated by the narrow-mindedness of the Orders. The Sith claim to want to increase their power, but they are afraid to believe that the Force is more than the dark. The Jedi claim to seek knowledge, but how can they have knowledge of something when they only see one side of it and are afraid to cross the line? The problem is essentially the same in both Orders."

She hesitated, knowing that Rose would report every word back to her father, then decided she didn't really care. She would deal with Furion later if she had to. "I have been a Sith Lord and a Jedi apprentice. I have seen this mutual problem firsthand, and I am not satisfied. The Force is a whole, and I thirst to learn about it from that perspective. The vast majority of Force-users in this galaxy limit themselves, cutting their selves off from true knowledge and power. I will not be one of them."

She met Aryian's eyes with her two mismatched ones. "That is why I am here, Aryian. I am here to take advantage of your knowledge of the Force, and for you to be a guide as I explore it as a whole. So tell me, did I come to you in vain, or do you have insights that you would share with me?"

Aryian frowned for a bit, his brow furrowed as he mulled over everything she said.

"I can help you, I suppose. But to alter your views significantly in this manner isn't something that can be done in a short amount of time. It requires experience, and sometimes even life lessons. I was fortunate to be one of the few whose path was just so, allowing me to view the universe as I do, but even still, it might not be the correct path for you. There is something to be said about seeking too much knowledge. I have made that mistake...more than once. I will guide you, but your request is not an easy one."

He sat back, staring off at some point on the wall, concentrating.

"For the time being, I think it would be prudent for me to assess your skills and your views. We will start tomorrow. The accommodations here are still rather spartan, however you are welcome to stay here if you don't wish to sleep in your ship. I think the same can be said of Rose here, I will need time to asses what she knows. I would recommend to both of you to stay clear of the construction droids while they are working, they can present a hazard as their programming is fairly simple, but you are welcome to rest or explore the dojo until tomorrow."

Aryian rose, bowing shortly to the two out of courtesy.

"If you will excuse me, I'm going to get some sleep. We begin at sunrise in the main sparring arena, it's just down the hall."

With that, Aryian left, found a suitable room, and slept.

((Training begins next post))

Blz1mwg.png

Rose gave a cursory bow as Aryian left, but otherwise she remained silent as she had through dinner, her mind lost to her own thoughts and concerns to be part of the conversation. That was not to say that she did not on some level listen to the conversation. Any possible information she could get on the two people she would be spending extended periods of time with was important in these first crucial days. Days that would unfold the pattern in which weeks and possible months would form to. But all that, consciously observed or not, was for another time, when the night grew quiet and there would be time to herself. Now she stood transfixed at the window, looking out to the open Mechis sky high atop the cliff side. It still didn't make sense. Why would her father send her here, to a Force Neutral master to receive training, just after she had confirmation in front of him and the whole Sith Order her desire to walk the dark path? Were there simply principle issues he had asked Aryian to cover with her so she may then start her training proper? Did he lie in his acceptance, and would not accept her in his Order, for whatever reasons? To protect her would seem the obvious answer, but what if he didn't think she was ready yet, or worse yet what if he saw her as too weak to even bother training? Truly, Julio Furion loved his daughter, but had his love for her weakened his own heart into tolerating her worthlessness all these years? Was that why she was his weakness, not because he had to protect her all these years, but that she would never be strong enough on her own, that he would always have to care for her until the end of either of their lives? Was there something wrong with her? What was wrong with her?

But there was something tickling at the back of all these downward spiraling thoughts of self loathing. Something that pierced through that miasma of lost despair. One line in the conversation that she had been half way listening to as she was deconstructing her life in side her mind.

• "The Sith claim to want to increase their power, but they are afraid to believe that the Force is more than the dark."

Not long after Aryian left, Rose broke from her statuesque morbidity and turned to Emily.

"You must not have been paying attention." She said heavily as she shifted from her seat on the ground to rise. "The Sith do not exist purely in the Dark. That is simply where we are most comfortable."

Heading out the door to find her own room, everything just seemed to click in her mind. Maybe, in a twisted sort of way, Julio had sent his daughter here not out of fear of her weakness, or lack of faith. Rather he had sent his daughter here to observe this Master and those who came in to study under him, to not only learn from him but ensure that the Dark Side had been properly represented. Rose knew in her heart she had a deep understanding of the philosophical views of the Force, after all a great majority of her youth had been spent reading up on everything she could get her hands on in her father's library. More than anything else she had poured herself into Julio's notebooks, and his break down of nearly every other book in the vast collection. Years and years studying just for the day she could join the ranks. Maybe this was all a test to see how well she understood all of it. She didn't need a Master to teach her to become a Sith. Sith she understood. What she needed was someone to open her up to the Force itself, to take her hand on the baby steps into the divine. He really was giving her the complete and free choice she wanted, but he had made sure she knew of his story before she went of to hear anyone else's.

Rose had been used to sparse accommodations, given her parent had never let himself have anything he thought of as unnecessary, so the straw mat, cotton pillow and blanket was just as much as she needed to go to sleep. There was nothing else she really needed. As she rested her head on the pillow and pulled the blanket up and over her head, Rose began to cry again. She missed Julio, and Raea, and Lallu.

Aryian's response was interesting. For a moment, it made her doubt coming here. If he didn't think he could help her, then there was no one who truly could. She shook her head. She'd just have to stay and find out if coming here had been the right thing to do.

After he left, Rose stood up and tossed a one-liner over her shoulder as she headed off. Emily smirked. That was such a stereotypically Sith point of view. But she knew better. She had met many Sith--most of the Order--and she had not known a single one who wasn't willing to look at the Force beyond the Dark Side, though many believed that they did. Furion, for example. She had no doubt that he believed that he viewed the Force more as a whole, but his actions said differently. Well, she wasn't here to learn to change the entire Sith and Jedi Orders.

Seeing as it was becoming planetary night, and she knew that she needed to adjust to the new time system, she also cleaned up after herself and headed off to choose a room. She found one that was clean, and large enough that Roe'gall could sleep in the room with her. As she settled down to sleep, she couldn't help but feel a moment of longing for the elegant and extremely comfortable bed she had back home on Raxus Prime. Then she smiled and shook herself. She had little desire to return there. At least not yet.

"Well, boy, what do you think?" she asked Roe'gall. She wasn't sleepy yet, and talking to Roe'gall was always a good way for her to process the events of the day.

He whined.

"Yeah, me too. I don't know if this is going to be all that I hope it will be, but that's okay. You know I'm used to that."

He lowered his head so that he could rest his chin on the edge of her cot, and she obligingly scritched his head.

"Rose is going to be an interesting companion. I'd like to give her a chance to be herself, and not her father's little clone, but from what she said today that is not likely. Oh well, it just means I can't trust her. No big loss there. You know I trust very few people now."

The giant tuk'ata was almost asleep. "Except you, of course," she whispered.

She lay in bed thinking for some time, until sleep came to her and she slipped into darkness.

The dream that came to Emily in the middle of the night was unlike any she had ever had before. She saw a tomb at the end of a valley on a dusty brown world. As she watched, there was a disturbance at the entrance, and after a moment, a figure strode out. Her breath caught in her throat, for it was Quietus. He was wearing his 'Sith face', that endearing glare that Emily knew meant that he wasn't actually unhappy, just that he was in Sith mode. In the dream, she had such an overpowering sense of happiness at his return. He was back from the dead, proving his power again, and opening opportunities again that she had thought were lost.

The dream faded as Quietus began to head off down the valley...

Emily woke with a start and found a smile on her face. She tried to cling to the feeling of happiness the dream had given her, but it slipped away as quickly as the dream had. She sighed. Quietus was dead, and there was no point in wishing otherwise. She had heard that he had been buried with ceremony in the Valley of the Dark Lords on Korriban, but she had never been brave enough to visit his tomb. Not yet. Even after she had forgiven him for the hurts had had given her, and despite the fact that now all of her memories of him were very fond, she had not wanted to see him lying in state in the dusty splendor of a tomb.

Besides, her parents also had a tomb together there, and she hadn't wanted to see it. Someday perhaps she would visit and see both tombs. Perhaps she was hiding from herself, but it was almost as if, while she knew they were all three dead, going to visit the tombs would be something else. Something more permanent.

There are not thoughts for tonight, she told herself. Now you can only meet them again in dreams. So cherish your dreams and banish your regret.

A few minutes later, she was asleep again.

Two paths lay before him. Two followed him. Both desired from him direction, purpose, but he knew it was something he couldn't give them. To lead them down one path would blind them to the other, to make them follow his own would blind them to their past and future. A strong emotion riled up in his gut, that of frustration and despair. But, his was never an easy path, harder even than one of the paths that lay before him now, and he had always known it. A hand reached out from the nothingness, and took his, leading him forward, willing him with confidence and resolve. It would not be easy, nothing he had ever done was. Yet he did it anyways.

Someone had to. Someone had to illuminate the lost, help them to see their potential and their own path. And though it would be tough, that at times it would be frustrating, he was ready.

Silently the Master's eyes opened, well before sunrise. It was a short sleep, but then again, Aryian never really found he needed a long sleep to fully recharge himself, one of the advantages of being so well-connected to the Force. Rising, he went though his morning routine, taking a short shower and getting dressed, before walking to the sparring arena.

The arena itself was still under construction, several worker droids milling about constructing weapon racks and some of the smaller sparring pits off on the sides of the room, but the large main sparring pit was complete. It was circular, with a drop of about half a foot from the normal floor, twenty meters or so in diameter, plenty large for training. Through his implant, he sent the droids away to go work on a different part of the dojo, while at the same time tasking one to bring him a few things from his ship. There were still a few things here he could use, crates, durasteel rods and the like, that would be perfect for a few things he had in mind.

Satisfied, Aryian sat in the middle of the large sparring pit, and began to lightly meditate, waiting for the two to come to him.

Blz1mwg.png

When Emily woke in the morning, she had little recollection of her dreams, except for a strange lingering feeling that something precious had returned to her. She shrugged and decided it was a good omen, then got up and got ready. She had no idea what Aryian had planned for today--assuming he had something planned, she hadn't been very clear on that last night--so she dressed simply but practically in a black sleeveless jumpsuit with few pockets and tall practical black boots. Her one concession to style was letting her hair loose. She stood for a few moments in front of the mirror. Her black hair had gotten long; worn loose it cascaded in gentle waves down to the center of her back. Her figure had changed too over the past months. She was still slim, but her build had become less gangly and more athletic with the intense physical training she had put herself through on Spite Station. Her eyes, one gray and one hazel, gazed back at her with a quiet maturity. They were eyes that showed their bearer had been through much, and while they held no pain, they lacked the bouyant excitement she had once possessed. The figure in the mirror smiled. She liked her look. Adjusting the low neckline of her top so that it laid smoothly, she buckled on her twin belts that crisscrossed her thin waist and held her two lightsabers.

On her way out the door, she motioned for Roe'gall to follow her. The monstrous tuk'ata heaved up to his feet, surprisingly nimble for such a large beast, and padded silently after her. She headed straight for the sparring arena, stopping only once in the cafeteria to grab a piece of fruit for herself and a couple of processed meat cubes for the tuk'ata. By the time they found the arena, their on-the-go breakfast was eaten, and they were ready for whatever would come of the day.

With a glance and a hand gesture, Emily told the tuk'ata to sit and stay just inside the door of the arena while she proceeded forward and joined Aryian, taking a cross-legged meditation pose that she had learned from the Jedi. Her mind clear, she drew on the Force, and waited for him to speak.

Rose woke with a stirring, a dark little alarm clock in the back of her mind that told her other minds in the immediate area had likewise rekindled consciousness. Just as the first eyelids fluttered alive with the dawning of a new day the little warrior's heart began to race and draw her into the promising morning with an edge about her. Without groggy protest she slid out of her bed on the floor and threw on her fresh training clothes. Awake and out the door in minutes, she took her place in the sparring ring, as it seemed that was where the congregating would take place this morning, and began stretching her muscles awake and loose for whatever exercises were to come. As well as forgoing breakfast, Rose didn't seem to pay any heed to the other two in their meditations. Let them 'center' themselves however they saw fit, she drew her focus in her doing of things not sitting still. Maybe it was just a difference in preference or upbringing, but Rose had never been too keen on quiet meditation. Countless times she had observed Julio meditating, even joining him in the occasion when she felt the need to be included, but it had always had this odd effect on her. She never felt calm, or centered, or composed in her attempts at meditating, but always set her to restlessness, often on an edge that made her want to take a jab at anyone. More annoying than anything, Rose never found that focus in meditating, that ability to clear one's mind and really just listen to the Force. It always became so indistinct, blurred the harder she tried to see it.

'This is not a bad thing, little one.' Julio had once said to her in one of their few times in meditation. Rose, just twelve at the time, had began to exasperate in heavy sighs of frustration as the foggier things seemed to get the harder she tried. 'It means that you do not let the Force trick you into seeing what it wants you to see. Often the Force will show us things to guide us in our fates, try to twist us to its own designs. And yes, sometimes the will of the Force may bend in our favor, but the times that it does not are devastating indeed. That is why we must all try to understand the Force as you must. To feel it, with our own feelings and our own thoughts behind them, not to simply see it as it would have you. That is the only way to true freedom.'

Distantly she watched them quietly sitting as she moved from stretches to manipulating the flow of energy in her body through a drawn out series of moves almost resembling a slow dance. Always these two she did back to back in the morning. This was her daily ritual. Not some calming, inward reflecting quiet time. Her movement was focus, her feeling was meditation.

Once his two guests had arrived, Aryian lifted his head, and began speaking.

"As my first visitors are Sith, I shall respond in kind and in line with their philosophies. The greatest warriors of both sides have said before that the best way to get to know someone is to fight them. This will not be a lethal fight, but I want you both to put your passion and soul into what you do. Not only will I get a better feel for your capabilities, but you will better acquaint yourselves with mine."

Three droids entered, each taking a position at the edge of the ring near one of the people in it, holding two lightsabers, copies of the ones Aryian commonly used. He didn't know if they had brought their own and hadn't checked since they came. His hands raised, and the lightsabers nearest him shot to them with a flick of the Force.

"Begin."

((I'm looking for two posting cycles, just to get a better feel for the characters. Most of what Aryian has to offer is combat based, otherwise it is best to simply be forward about what you want from him, like ask questions about his philosophies, challenge his beliefs and he will challenge yours, etc.))

Blz1mwg.png

Emily was not really surprised. It was a well-known philosophy, one that she had heard was Echani in origin rather than Jedi or Sith, that to really know someone, you needed to fight them. It just seemed to fit this strange man that he hold to that philosophy.

She rose to her feet and took a deep breath, centering herself and preparing for the fight. A droid came over and offered her lightsabers, which after a moment, she accepted. She might as well use Aryian's lightsabers and not risk damaging her own. The feel of the grip was slightly strange in her hands, but she knew they weren't different enough to cause her to lose her focus. She ignited the blades and set her feet. After one fraction of a moment, she plunged herself into the whirlwind of the Force.

With a telekenetic leap, she launched herself at Aryian, her twin blades whirling to meet his in a flurry of slashes and parries, casting odd shadows on the ground around them. She didn't hold back, for she knew he would be a master of the blade enough for her to not have to worry about hitting him by accident. She combined her lightsaber attacks with physical ones, kicks and pushes designed to knock her opponent off balance. After a few exchanges, she dared to draw closer to the center of her internal maelstrom of power. Her attacks sped up as she used the Force to enhance her physical body, and at the same time, she added a flying object into the mix now and then.

Throughout her exchange, though, she never forgot that Rose was also in the room, and was prepared in case she decided to make this a three-way duel. Her rigorous training under Quietus served her well now, allowing her to easily divide her focus into several chunks without losing attention to any of them.

She didn't tense as the droids entered, knowing their intent before they encircled the ring. Her muscles remained unencumbered, her mind fluid and ready. It had not been entirely set that physical combat would be the starter lesson in the first of all days, but the chosen local of the sparring ring did lend weight to the assumption. It seemed Master Aryian wanted to see them in action, to as he put it understand them better. As much to be expected, she gathered. Otherwise where would he know where to begin without understanding his student's levels.

Unconsciously her left hand lifted to catch the lightsaber as she eyed the droid closest to her, statuesque in the few short moments before engaging in its combat protocols. Next to her Emily seemed to explode toward the Master the moment lightsaber touched her hand, either misunderstanding the exercise or wanting to make a more direct display. Never the less, Rose barely seemed to move on her droid opponent, flipping the hilt around in her hand to point it down upon ignition as she surveyed the droid. Of course it was larger than her, taller too by a good half meter. It would have heavy momentum behind it, but speed couldn't be ascertained by simply guessing at the make and model. That was a setting that could be adjusted based on difficulty of the workout and specs of the droid. Slowly she began to pace to the right, keeping her arms low and her lightsaber as of yet unlit. After a couple steps the droid seemed to come back alive and fell into a tandem motion with Rose, pacing to its own right as it readied its sparked lightsaber in a common dueling stance.

The paces started to move inward now, as each combatant got steadily closer toward one another. Would the droid make the first move, or did its protocols outline a reflexive initiative? How strong were artificial nerves? How close could she get? A couple more paces away now, and soon they would be within easy striking range. But the way Rose held her lightsaber left her in a very defensive position, able to maintain the inner circle with comfort and agile enough to respond swiftly. Whatever the direction the assault came from, unless followed up in an incredibly aggressive style, she could catch it. Catch it and turn it about in one swift flourish. She only had to wait, and watch.

Aryian was impressed with Emily's tenacity, though coming from a trained Sith he should have expected as much. Still, he met her pace with practiced rote, delving into Soresu and his Echani martial arts to deflect her blows, using the Force to keep up with her speed and to block what she threw at him with Force barriers. Not once did he attack for the first few minutes, but quickly changed his mind.

He spun the saber in his right hand to an underhanded carry, flowing into the staccato drumbeats of Juyo, defending himself when necessary, attacking seemingly at random. It wasn't a form he knew as intimately as Soresu, but Juyo was one of the forms he had studied deeply and knew it more than well enough to use in combat, as well as teach it. After a few feints, he lashed out with a telekinetic blast, more to throw the Sith Lord off her feet than anything else, to see if she could handle disorientation and unorthodox combat in a suitable manner. It was still nothing more than a dance of warriors, an introduction between combatants.

The Droid facing Rose was surprised when she attacked it, though it had basic combat programming, it was not expecting to utilize it, its task was only to bring the lightsabers should the two guests wish to (or need to) use them for the exercise. Though humanoid, the droid wasn't exactly built to duel with lightsabers, though its programming declared this was a suitable environment to acquiesce to the 'request' the guest had made. And so, it took a basic combat stance from Makashi, programmed to follow the most basic of styles that would best suit its attributes. It was a good deal stronger than the girl that stood before it, though probably not as fast. Of course, its processing speeds could easily make up for that, and it would likely turn into how many steps in the combat it could calculate ahead to optimize block times. Computing the digital equivalent of a small prayer that all would end well, it began, moving in with a wide sweeping strike that would keep her at bay. If she got in too close or was too fast on recovery from one of the droid's swings, it was likely to turn downhill for it from there on.

Blz1mwg.png

At first, Emily remained the only aggressor, but after a moment, Aryian began to do what he could to throw her off balance, literally and figuratively. His form changed and became much more unpredictable, forcing Emily to delve deeper into the Force for the prescience it offered in situations such as these. She gave up trying to analyze his form after a few exchanges, not recognizing it despite her studies of classic lightsaber forms.

Her opponent's Force blast came a split second after she realized he was going to release it, too late for her to avoid it. Instead, she allowed the momentum of the telekenetic shove to push her into a classic Ataru backflip which let her gain some distance from his twirling blades. As soon as her feet touched the ground, however, she was moving again, her long black hair streaming behind her as she used the Force to move the molecules in the air out of her path and slipped behind the Grey Master in the blink of an eye. She attacked immediately, bringing her dual sabers into a catch designed to lock both of his blades in hers.

As soon as the lock was formed, she let a feral grin cross her face. You said you want to see everything I've got? Then meet the ace up my sleeve.

In the intensity of the duel, no one was paying much attention to Roe'gall because of Emily's distracting acrobatics. But the mutant tuk'ata had been pacing ever since the fighting had started, held back only by Emily's iron will. Now, she released her hold on the tuk'ata, and the 6-foot-tall beast snarled and leapt towards Aryian's back. Emily and Roe'gall had worked together and practiced together for many many hours, and together, they were the perfect team. Roe'gall knew exactly what he was supposed to do, but his intelligence made him the perfect ally for the lady of the Sith, for he could adapt to what Aryian might throw at him. This was what he had been bred to do, and he reveled in the opportunity. Emily wouldn't allow him to kill Aryian, but she was interested to see how the Grey Master would deal with this sudden new threat.

In a flash the lightsaber hissed alive just as the droid made its first glimmer of a move, intercepting the blade with a step in far exceeding what was considered normal. So close, and the poor girl wouldn't be able to utilize the strength of her arms to handle the strike. Yet, as she was stepping in, her downward pointed lightsaber had already began its crescent sweep to not catch the blade, but redirect its momentum up and over her head in her dart inward. The droid would, of course, come around for a counter strike, but it would have to sweep in front of its body again to bring it back around, and Rose was already at its back, spinning on the ball of her foot to whip her weapon around to cleave the thing in half.

For years she had practiced, martial skill the only art her Father openly allowed her to cultivate, and in all that time only once did she ever face an opponent that was anything other than a droid or some form of war machine. Breaking them had become her medium of expression, the only marked form of progression in her pursuit of perfection. All told the exchange between her and this poor machine lasted but a few rapid moments, and when the pieces separated and fell to the floor only then did she realize her mistake.

Perhaps the Master wanted her to duel him. As Emily threw herself at him, and as he responded so well in kind it seemed to be the natural answer to his initial demand, but why then the droids? He could have just as easily handed the weapons out himself, or had just one droid bring them out. It all seemed odd, but for some reason the girl couldn't help but feel somewhat embarrassed for the misunderstanding. When she thought of training, she naturally made the connection to the droids after so many years. Her one and only living opponent ended in so much blood, so much permanence...

Quietly she stood aside, deactivating her lightsaber and kneeling by the wall to give the other two room enough to spar. Embarrassed or not, she didn't let it show, and she never took her bright blue eyes off their movements. Each pass and swing and block and parry, she absorbed it all, studying for the inevitable.

Aryian felt it as soon as the Tuk'ata leapt. The woman was smart, and resourceful, yet it wasn't quite enough. She had made a critical mistake by pulling a master Soresu practitioner in close. What happened next was a bit of a blur, but it was a sequence of precise events, laid out in logical order of threats from greatest to least. To the untrained eye, the feat might have been considered magical or an incredible bit of well-placed luck, however to someone who knew better, who could properly analyze the fluid tactical situation, it was only natural progression to the endgame.

A Force barrier flicked up behind the Master, which the Tuk'ata promptly slammed into, head-first. As if that wasn't enough, Aryian telekinetically blasted the hound directly above its forehead, throwing it back to the ground at a decent speed head-first. Down, boy. The Krath words, spoken telepathically with the proper tone and weight of a Master might not have intimidated the beast, but at the least it would certainly let the hound know the man it attacked was not one to be trifled with.

While Roe'gall hurtled toward the floor, Aryian disignited his sabers, breaking the lock with the easiest and simplest means. With minor telekinetic blasts near her forearms, her arms were blown wide, and simultaneously the already close Grey Master moved in closer, hilt pressed against her neck, his second lightsaber reigniting as it pointed towards her hound, a checkmate move. The hound would not attack and risk its master, and the woman could not move fast enough to escape the blade. As the predicament dawned on Emily, Aryian withdrew, bowing shortly to her, trusting she would keep her hound at bay.

"Good. Enough."

However, Aryian looked towards Rose. She had attacked the droid instead, mistaking the exercise. She wasn't wrong in the entirety, Aryian certainly hadn't been overly-clear in his instructions. But, he wasn't done with her. Through his implants, he ordered the other two droids to clean up the mess, then turned to her, bowing, making his intentions perfectly clear through the Force so there was no surprise or misunderstanding about what he did next. It wasn't a punishment...she simply wasn't done yet.

Snapping his arm out, the lit lightsaber was hurled, boomeranging in an arc towards her as he charged her, reigniting the one he still held. He did not charge with the Force, still a bit drained from the other spar, and she could easily deal with the thrown saber before dealing with him.

Blz1mwg.png

Aryian's defense was not one that Emily expected. She supposed she should have, but not having been able to recognize his fighting style had left her unprepared for a defense that she did recognize as classic Soresu. So she found herself pushed back, and suddenly the hilt of his lightsaber was at her throat.

Roe'gall had glanced off Aryian's shield and turned snarling to attack again, but the master's words caused him to hesitate for the barest moment. He was not used to his opponents being able to speak with him, and it confused him just long enough to let Aryian end the duel.

Emily, seeing that she had been beaten, shut off her lightsabers. When Aryian let her up, she nodded to him respectfully. He had shown her that he was indeed someone worthy of respect. She held back Roe'gall, whose natural instinct was to keep attacking Aryian, and he sat down on his haunches with a decidedly disappointed whimper. As Aryian crossed over to take on Rose, Emily moved over to the monstrous tuk'ata. With a bit of the Force, she drew his attention off of the Grey Master and onto her, forcing his natural instincts back into the tightly wound spring that they usually were. Then she smiled, and gave him a rub on the chin. "Good boy," she whispered in the language of the ancient Sith. She had been practicing it over the past year as a means to communicate with Roe'gall, and while she had found the language nearly impossible, she had picked up a few useful phrases.

Roe'gall whuffled her hair, and then glanced away, looking up, his nose sniffing the air. He looked back down at Emily and whined. "What is it?" she asked. He whined again and moved over to the door. Emily sighed. He probably just had to go relieve himself, but the design of the dojo meant that she would have to escort him up to the roof. Aryian was engaged with Rose, so she knew she would not be missed, and it was better than having to clean up Roe'gall's mess later--an unpleasant experience that she had needed to do way too many times for her taste.

"Excuse me," she said aloud. She didn't know if Aryian had heard her, but it mattered little. She'd be back soon enough.

Together, the Sith and her tuk'ata headed back to the turbolift. Roe'gall continued to whine and pace excitedly. "Yes, yes, I know, we're going," she said exasperatedly. But when they finally reached the hot, windy landing platform on the roof, she was surprised to see him not immediately relieve himself, but rather to pace and chuff and whine, looking towards the sky.

"What's going on, boy?" she asked.

Quietus awoke from his rest only a few minutes before the Ogariv II reverted back to subspace over Mechis III. It had been a long time since Quietus had been to the planet, and he could not say that his last visit had been anything near pleasurable. This time was most assuredly going to be different on all counts. As soon as the light of hyperspace faded before him and the planet came full view from outside the cockpit, Quietus threw out his senses at the planet, determined to instantly gauge if this was to be his destination or merely a checkpoint.

And there it was. The familiar presence in the Force that sent memories flashing through his mind and confirmed what he had hoped; this was to be his destination. Without a further trace of thought, he pushed the Ogariv II to its limits, blasting towards the planet like some asteroid that was aiming to obliterate it. The journey would take but a few minutes at most, but it was long enough to allow Quietus to collect his thoughts. He had sensed her, but did not know if she had felt his presence yet. He toyed with the idea of brushing her mind as he used to do or instead allowing his physical presence to be the first clue of his return. In the end, he settled on the first, and ever so carefully reached out once more.

She had grown more powerful, that much he could tell instantly, for her mental barriers, once comparable to tissue paper, were now much tougher. He had no desire to break them down, and so he instead opted to brush along the surface of her mind, as gently as one would run their fingers along a person's arm. It was not an all out assault on her mind, but would be enough to make her wonder, if not know instantly that Quietus had returned. As the ship descended through the atmosphere of the planet, the Sith was using his eyes to scan the terrain in front of him, while using the Force to guide the ship towards his apprentice.

It was only when a complex came into view that Quietus noticed that there were more Force signatures within it, at least two others. One was powerful and occupied the rare area between the light and the dark, and the other was decidedly Sith in nature, yet felt slightly familiar. They were what Quietus could only assume to be the Grey Master of the dojo and another Sith. Quietus had spent just a few seconds on these other two presences, but it was enough of a distraction that he almost missed spotting the silhouette standing on the complex's roof near what he assumed was a turbolift. He recognized the hair first, although it was longer than he had last seen it, before he confirmed what his mind already knew.

There was Emily, standing tall atop the dojo, decidedly more powerful in the Force, her leaner form still enough to nearly cause the Sith to forget to breathe. If she had not known for sure by now, the sight of the Ogariv II coming in for a landing would have shattered any remaining doubt. It was not until the ship had almost landed, that Quietus noticed the mass of muscle and shadow that was Roe'gall. The sight of the tuk'ata brought almost as much satisfaction to the Sith Master as that of his apprentice did. It seemed that in his absence, Emily had taken Roe'gall as her own, and the two obviously shared a fierce bond now, both taking comfort in one another without their Master.

The ship landed as gracefully as ever, with Quietus exiting the ship almost before it was advisable to do so. He had half expected both Emily and Roe'gall to race towards him, a race to see who could get to and tackle the Master first. But it was only Roe'gall, with his canine like joy who came bounding across the roof of the dojo to greet him. Were it any other animal, Quietus would have knelt down to greet it, but with the tuk'ata standing almost as tall as Quietus himself, it would have been pointless. Even expecting the impact that came, he was nearly knocked off his feet by Roe'gall's enthusiasm, the tuk'ata licking, nuzzling, and almost cooing at the Sith constantly. Suffice to say, it was just as happy to see Quietus as the Sith was to see his former pet.

After a few moments exchanging greetings with the animal, Quietus got him under control enough to grab it on both sides of its snout, and looked directly into the beast's eyes. He saw in an instant the trials and tribulations that the beast had gone through in Quietus' absence; how Emily had found him inside Quietus' old room and taken him as her own companion. The two shared a very strong bond now, strong enough that Quietus knew that Roe'gall was his pet no longer. He would not reclaim the tuk'ata he decided. It trusted Emily completely, and cared for her even more. Quietus could not think of a better situation, and knowing Roe'gall was at her side all this time brought a smile to his face.

"You've been good to her while I have been gone my friend, and I would have you continue..."

He almost whispered the words to the tuk'ata, gently patting it on the snout. Go. Return to her, for she is your true master now. He added the words in the animals mind, causing Roe'gall to blink and gently break out of Quietus' hands and pad his way back across the roof to Emily, who still had not moved an inch upon Quietus' landing. The Sith Master's eyes followed the animal as it gently nuzzled Emily as it passed, turning to stand with her once more. Quietus' gaze then snapped to Emily, allowing him the first real moment that he looked upon her.

Rendered nearly speechless by finally seeing his apprentice before him, her beauty and her still growing power on full display, it took Quietus a few moments longer to find what words he would speak to her. There were so many things that he needed to tell her, so many things to apologize for, to answer for, and to make up for. But he steadied himself and finally spoke, his voice even and unpredictable as always.

"I made a promise, to you and the memory of your parents, that I would always watch over you. I refuse to break that promise, even when death claims me."

His words were fierce and confident, the perfect picture of a Sith Master. But for the moment, his tough outer shell betrayed the churning mix within, and it only took a few precious seconds for the armor to crack, revealing what lay within. His demeanor, his body language, everything changed in that last moment of looking at what his apprentice had become. It was almost too much to deal with, knowing how much he had missed and wondering how many times she had wished for his guidance along the way. He had to look away, had to tear his gaze from her, even if for just a moment.

"I... I'm so sorry Emily..."

He summoned enough of himself to look at her again, his gaze locking on her eyes.

1fE1uLv.png

I ate a hippo. It was delicious.

May the Forth therve you well...

As Roe’gall continued to whine and pace, Emily followed his gaze up to the sky, concerned. Her eyes suddenly caught the sparkle of sunlight and molten metals reflected off of an approaching starship. For a moment, she assumed it was just her delivery of dewback ham, but something kept her focus on the ship as it drew nearer. Suddenly, she felt him. There was a brush on her mind, one that she recognized. Her heart turned violently inside of her chest, and she had a moment where she didn't know what to believe. But then the ship drew nearer, and she forced herself to breathe again. I know that ship!

It had barely landed when he came practically bounding down the ramp. She was frozen in place with shock and surprise. Roe’gall greeted his old master with much enthusiasm, treating Quietus to the pungent smell of tuk’ata breath. But while Quietus greeted the tuk’ata, his attention was soon on her. He spoke, and she couldn't breathe again. As his voice broke, and he looked away, she suddenly could move again. Without even realizing what she was doing, she found herself running to him. In a heartbeat, she had thrown her arms around him.

She embraced him, clinging to him, scarcely daring to believe that he was real and that he was here. But the feel of his chest against her cheek was proof that what she had dreamed would never be possible again had happened. Someone had come back into her life.

She felt joy, yes, but also pain. The last time she had seen his face was when he was standing by, indifferent, as Ar-Pharazon and his Black Sun cronies had slaughtered her. It was a hurt that could not be easily healed. But three and a half long years had passed since that day, and Emily was not the same person she had been then. She had long ago come to understand why Quietus had acted the way he had. But he had died not long afterward, and many things had gone unresolved.

For a long time, she had been ferociously angry towards him. But she had changed so much in the past few years, and now, she felt only regret for the time they had lost. Things could have been so different, and she was determined that for as long as he was here, she wouldn't waste another moment. The Force had given her the most precious gift, and she wasn't going to squander it on regrets and old hurts. If she had him back, even for a short time, she would cherish it. Part of her cried out in warning, cautioning her that he had betrayed her before and that only a fool would run back into the arms of someone like that. But she cared too much about him to listen.

Finally she drew back a bit. “I’d forgotten how tall you are,” she said, her voice shaky and her eyes moist, but with a glowing smile on her face. She swiped at the rebellious moisture. “Sorry, I don’t know why I’m getting so emotional.” That was a lie, of course, and they both knew it. She had every reason to be feeling the whirl storm of emotion that she was. But the smile that she couldn't wipe off her face showed that all had been forgiven, and that he owed her nothing. It radiated only her deep joy at seeing him again, and the hope that she held of a second chance for both of them. Her mismatched eyes twinkled with mirth. “It’s been three and a half years. Couldn't you have wrenched yourself from the clutches of death a bit sooner?”