The Millennium House - NSW GRAPHIC NOVEL - NEW PAGE JUNE!

Tiana Calthye

Title: The Millennium House

Rating: PG-13 for language, violence, and blood. Being as it is illustrated, the existance of blood will be slightly more noticable. THERE WILL BE BLOOD. THERE IS BLOOD IN THE FIRST PAGE.

[CRITIQUE ENCOURAGED. I will fix spelling errors and grammar errors. Art, however, I will keep in mind for later updates but unless it really bugs me too I probably won't change anything because of the amount of time it takes. I will not be changing the art style.]

Steampunk/fantasy/soft science fiction. Non-Star Wars.

I debated whether or not to post this in Fanfic or in the Art board. This is something slightly different--an experiment, per se. As some of you know, I have a webcomic. This is my other one. It's sort of an off to the side project. I haven't posted any of my artsy stuff here so, well... now you get some. I've never tried serializing a webcomic on a forum before, I just wanted to see how it would go over.

068722d0182e75a90ad8550d9200f08a.jpg

f5ad306cd5e5db624154801f687d884d.jpg

fdf373a6357eb16eafb26bedb495e8b2.jpg

I will probably be updating with one page on Saturdays from now on if people want to see more. Honestly, these first two pages are the bloodiest for a while.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Yep. Photoshop CS2 and a tablet. I work almost entirely digitally these days. I should probably make an updated tutorial, but basically, it's a matter of taking a base color... for these two pages, a dark brown... and then using a darker color to sketch what's going on in the background... some textured brush abuse (like the road and the brick wall). Once I've got a good start on the background I start on the people, to use the background to build up their colors so they fit in a bit better.

Mostly I get my textures from CGtextures and import those into Photoshop so I can use them with brushes. The rest is freehanded in Photoshop--tablet set to pressure for opacity and a mostly hard round brush. I've got an old tutorial somewhere, I should make an up to date one.

This is the bloodiest part of the story for a while.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Zero: More is here!

LAP: Thanks!

Ami: Thanks! And it's good to know I have a Jedi.net reader. This story will be better, I can assure you, because I'm working from an actually written script.

Dartha: Click my sig banner for more webcomic goodness. My other one's called Between Places and it updates Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday. Thanks!

KKVC: Glad it caught your eye, and thanks! I try. Hope to see you venture in again!

Travis: What, you think I wouldn't do it all myself? Would it not be as good if someone else had done it? I painted every pixel; I am an artist as well as a writer. It'll update Saturdays so be here!

Another two page update. I have a SMALL buffer and I'd like to move through the introductory scenes as fast as possible, but chances are once I kill it it'll be one page updates. Let me know what you guys would prefer if I can get multiple pages done in a week on top of my other comic: one page on two different days or two pages on Saturdays and constant updates on Saturdays.

20090725fixd.jpg

20090804.jpg

spsig.jpg

Again, very striking art. One thing I would say that struck me as strange is the inclusion of "ext." and "day" in the first panel, which puts me in mind of stage directions or a script. It's redundant in a visual medium like a graphic novel.

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

Yeah, came from writing it in a movie script format. After writing out all the directions like that, in my mind, it just didn't look complete without it. Probably should cut the excess... I know very well that as a visual medium I SHOULD be letting the art say the rest.

spsig.jpg

Travis: What, you think I wouldn't do it all myself? Would it not be as good if someone else had done it? I painted every pixel; I am an artist as well as a writer. It'll update Saturdays so be here!

I know there are programs out there designed to help people who are not so artistically inclined with sort of customizable templates. I didn't know if you were using one of these or painting from a blank screen.

Yeah, there are, but you can't do this with those. At best, sprite or photo comics--even if the sprites are as detailed as, say, CAD. I start from a blank canvas.

spsig.jpg

Your artwork just keeps getting better and better, Tiana. I'm very impressed, girl!

As has been mentioned, not much in the way of story to comment on. So I fear I must leave this post short. I've got no doubt that you'll keep up the good work.

Obi-Gones-Award.gif

"The circle is complete! Now I [Obi-here] am the angst Master!"

Obi-here: I'll try. And it's good to see you back in Fanfic again! Long time, no see. And yeah, the story will move quite slowly due to the update schedule... unfortunately writing is muuuuch faster than drawing.

Just one page this time.

20090808.jpg

spsig.jpg

Oh, goodness, you shouldn't be confused as to who the characters are seeing as I'm drawing them. And actually, for a story by me, this one makes a signifigant great deal more sense than most do. It follows a pretty standard plot for its base genre... it's a mystery with a fantasy/steampunk twist. I'm pretty pleased with the script, actually.

The half dead woman in the first two updates is seperate from the two characters (father and daughter) in the next two updates. These three people are the main characters. In an update or two you'll meet the rest of their family, the head baddie in a few more updates. There's about nine named characters in total. So if you compare it to BP it makes a LOT more sense.

(Cast page is here, though, if you want a little help. http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Millennium_House/html/cast.html )

spsig.jpg

Yeah, not for a couple weeks now. I've had to post absent in RP; the only reason this one updated at all is because I have a buffer of pages that isn't yet all posted on Jedi.net and I still have two or three more. I know one page a week is an awful pace. =(

spsig.jpg

Another good update. I'm a little confused about who the characters are and such, but it's the beginning--and it's a fic by you--so I expect that.

LOL.

I like the way you draw your foliage!! Steampunk is pretty cool to draw. Hmm maybe the confusion could be helped with more use of their names or was it intentional?

ilikegreenguyscopy.jpg

Darsha Assant turned dark at 2734 posts.

AP: That's my favorite panel from that page too--otherwise, I really don't like it. Too rushed.

Dartha: You make a valid point... I don't suppose I have called them by name yet. Shalina just calls him 'dad'... hm. I guess when I introduce Tadhal I'll make sure to have him name the characters in the story. This bit is sort of more prologuey anyway. But this update uses a proper name, at least! Huzzah!

20100122.jpg

spsig.jpg