Star Wars: Advent of Shadows - Updated 9/19/2011

Lord Ar-Pharazon

Nope! Neither! Sasori and Anilara Starbane are both perfectly cool and awesome characters today, and someday might used, and actually probably will, but some of the characters on the big poster here date back at least as far as 2001. Some are somewhat contemporary, but you might have to do some homework on this. Some are also, very obscure and even minor characters, but no matter what, you're gonna have to think waaaaay back.

Clue: Smash Daisaku's bodyguard is in black. That bodyguard was an alias of a more prominent member of the site named Bishop of Battle.

Also, I reloaded the big pic as a png file, instead of a jpeg, and I went back and switched all the character pictures to png too. So, everyone's looking better. I gave Hale Akturus, newer, superior art as well.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Sorry if this is somewehere in here and I just didn't have the time to read every post, but is there a specific RP timeframe for this? Like, is it actually based on anything in the RP or just the characters? (And I did read the part about it including equal strength for both sides and equal numbers of chars and whatnot that was in the first post)

V4yWwXl.png

Generally, hitting someone in the head with your weapon kills them regardless of whether they're wearing a life-sustaining mask. I'm pretty sure this is general combat strategy whether your target is Darth Vader or some thug on the street.

Sorry if this is somewehere in here and I just didn't have the time to read every post, but is there a specific RP timeframe for this? Like, is it actually based on anything in the RP or just the characters? (And I did read the part about it including equal strength for both sides and equal numbers of chars and whatnot that was in the first post)

There isn't an RP timeline that will specifically overlap with the RP forum's story, as we know it based on what's happened there. There's too much stuff, and it's cluttered, and filled with boring characters and individual quests and boring overarching plots. This, here, is my story, but it will involve some things from the RP stories here. The characters are the same, but imported and fitted into this story. Effectively, it's my RP Alternate Universe. Here's what I said when I posted the first chapter, and it sums up a lot of what I'm doing.

Also, I should mention again that my story takes place within an alternative universe, different than the role-playing main story from this site, but featuring the characters we've all come to know and love, going back to 2002. I'm using some of the plots from RP, but mostly my own, and I'm taking alot of inspiration from Wheel of Time and some video games too. There's alot behind this.

apeditname.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Nope! Neither! Sasori and Anilara Starbane are both perfectly cool and awesome characters today, and someday might used, and actually probably will, but some of the characters on the big poster here date back at least as far as 2001. Some are somewhat contemporary, but you might have to do some homework on this. Some are also, very obscure and even minor characters, but no matter what, you're gonna have to think waaaaay back.

Clue: Smash Daisaku's bodyguard is in black. That bodyguard was an alias of a more prominent member of the site named Bishop of Battle.

Also, I reloaded the big pic as a png file, instead of a jpeg, and I went back and switched all the character pictures to png too. So, everyone's looking better. I gave Hale Akturus, newer, superior art as well.

Wasn't bishops character rhonin or something... damn, now I am going to have to look it up... Rivan... blah.

"When in doubt, Get the Hell out!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't bishops character rhonin or something... damn, now I am going to have to look it up... Rivan... blah.

Ronet Farr.

Hey, Ben, where's the next chapter? You're overdue!

It should be any day. It turns out there was an e-mail mix up with my beta reader, ATS. It should be up ASAP. Sorry...

apeditname.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I have to admit that I'm in a sticky situation. ATS, who has beta'd for me, has seemingly vanished. I haven't had contact with her for well over a month. She hasn't replied to my e-mails or Facebook messages, and hasn't updated her Facebook in over a month. Tiana has helped me before, and has been great with helping me with character development, and but I also really need someone to help me tear the grammar and wording apart, and ATS had excelled at that. (Tiana, I didn't want to dump even more on you.) Anyway, in summary, ATS has effectively fallen off the face of the earth, and I need someone to step up. It's just a matter or helping me correct my wording usually, and to help me judge pictures, ideas of the story, themes, etc.

Any takers?

apeditname.jpg

I have no problem also tearing apart your grammar and wording, you know. I just wasn't because you said she had that covered so I was focusing more on the story as a whole.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

• 2 weeks later...

After much rigorous discernment, I have decided to make Amidala Skywalker my new beta-reader. Hopefully, the next part will be up before too awful long. Thanks for all of the offers, everyone. It's good to know that there are so many awesome people on this site. It was not an easy choice.

apeditname.jpg

Sorry for the double post. Obviously, I want a fresh post for a new chapter. (Deal with it.)

Additionally, I apologize that this update took longer than usual, especially considering its size, but now with Ami's "betatastic" assistance, things should be back on track. I am eagerly hoping to be posting at a more frequent rate in the future and largely due to her top-notch contributions.

Chapter Six: Disposing of a Rat

Ominous pitch-blackness filled the durasteel jail cell, but Muclev the Hutt sat wide awake, staring into the dark with a sadistic smile on his fat, fleshy face. For five straight days he had remained locked away in a Republic prison, eagerly anticipating his pending release.

Muclev was a typical Hutt gangster, with a lengthy list of transgressions to his name. He was regarded highly in the lawless systems of Hutt Space, but in the Core Worlds, he was an unruly murderer, extortionist, and thief. His crimes, which seemingly ensured his damnation, also secured his salvation, since Republic Intelligence valued the information garnered through his illicit dealings. Finally, after many nights, a deal had been brokered; he would have freedom, in exchange for his knowledge. In the dark isolation, he laughed deeply, knowing that in mere days he would be lounging on Nal Hutta engorged with spice, wine and salted rancor meat. Food too, was on his mind, as it often was, but especially since his daily meal had not yet arrived. Food was almost as precious as freedom. Almost.

The pompous Hutt glanced up at the sound of footsteps approaching in the darkness of the hallway outside his cell. Try as he could, he could see nothing through the small hole in the durasteel door. The footsteps came to a halt, and Muclev grinned.

“About time!” the Hutt rumbled loudly, licking his large lips. He had grown fond of harassing the unlucky guards charged with the disgusting task of feeding him. “I have been granted amnesty and a full pardon for my crimes, and as such, I demand tastier provisions. Enough of this bantha slop!”

Suddenly, the door flew open, spilling a disconcerting flood of light into the Muclev’s eyesight. From upon his seat, he pulled himself up to see what was happening. As his distorted vision became more adjusted to the light, he hastily made out three figures in dark jumpsuits. Assassins!

“You!” he gasped out, in dreaded recognition. “Not who I expected.”

Before he could move, a gigantic syringe was plunged into his face. He felt tremendous amounts of pain wrack his body until the paralyzing poison sent him plunging into darkness. The last thing he felt before dying was one of the interlopers sawing through his thickened Hutt hide.

NEW CHARACTER:

scaled.php?server=189&filename=muclevthehutt.png&res=medium

Muclev the Hutt

Position: Gangster

Species: Hutt

Edited by Guest

apeditname.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Whaat? No comments yet at all? Madness!

How does this guy count as a new character if they just sawed into him? Wouldn't that kill him?

(But the question is: what's inside of him that they wanted?)

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

or did they put something inside of him? that would be an interesting development.....

Ben! where's the more you promised?

I'm working on it. I wish it was faster. Life is so busy sometimes. I'm sure you can relate.

How does this guy count as a new character if they just sawed into him? Wouldn't that kill him?

Well, he's not an old character.

More to come...

apeditname.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is really great so far! sorry I haven't commented sooner, but I was trying to catch up. Again, I love the way you work the relationship between Krissi and AP. Tho the one comment about 'her face nearly split with a smile' seems... ominous. And I love the sudden appearance and disappearance of the hutt by assassins. Black Sun perchance?

"There is still hope."

KrissiKenobi25copy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I like it a lot too. I am not very good at critiquing others writings however. Keep it up Ben! Gantoris seems too nice is really the only thing I can notice haha...

homealone.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2001.]

The League of Shadows

Thanks, you two. I'm glad you're both reading. Both of your characters will be major players in this overall story. I'm really trying to write as much as possible, as soon as possible, but life has no qualms keeping me busy on a fairly frequent basis. I'll try and make Gantoris less nice.

Anyway, here's something new...

Chapter Seven: Practice and Patience

Leaping from platform to platform, Chazi fiercely strove forward, staying ahead of the blaster fire unleashed by her deadly opponent. The Force coursed through her body, allowing her to visualize her footwork slightly before placing her steps. She jumped from one landing to the next as a volley of shots threatened her, each landing seeming vastly higher than the last. Reaching the uppermost and final platform, she knew it was time to make her decision – to face her opponent or to flee through an opening in the ceiling, as she had done before. It was a dangerous decision, but she knew a Jedi would never flee.

“Enough running,” she murmured under her breath. She leaped and dove downward while igniting her lightsaber in mid air. She angled her body, spinning around toward her opponent, and landed squarely on her feet – her Jedi weapon ready for action.

All her focus was centered on her opponent, whose mounted wrist canons began firing again. Gripping her lightsaber with both hands, she charged forward. She stalwartly deflected one shot into the wall, then another, and then another. Before long, her exuberant blue blade was spinning before her, humming sweetly, punctuated by the noisy reverberations of the blaster bolts deflected into distant directions. Her rigorous training was paying off.

Chazi decided that it was time to finish what she had started. She continued forward, ever-determined, fending off the onslaught of blaster fire, maintaining a steady pace. When she was only a couple meters away, she launched her attack. In one swing, she deflected a single shot into her opponent’s durasteel visage. A bloom of fire spewed forth from that armored face. Then Chazi struck again, as hard as she ever had, delivering the final blow.

Victory!

Seeing that the deed was done, she deactivated her weapon as the impaled destroyer droid collapsed into pieces, falling with loud clangs onto the floor.

Chazi allowed herself a great sigh of relief, and her breathing grew heavier as the intensity of the battle faded away.

All of a sudden, something strong tugged at the back of her cloak. Spinning around, she found no one behind her. To her surprise, bright lights flickered on, filling the previously dim chamber. She glanced around and noticed two robed figures standing in the doorway. Guilt overcame her mind. She knew she was not supposed to be in the training facility without supervision. Then, the same invisible power that had pulled at her cloak quickly snatched the lightsaber out of her hand. As the figures approached, she recognized the man now clutching her weapon as Ar-Pharazon. A council member! How do I keep digging myself deeper? Her heart sank.

“I’ll be taking that!” he announced, gripping the lightsaber. His dark eyes focused on Chazi sternly. “So,” he said, with emphatic pause, pointing an accusatory finger with his free hand. “You’re the one who’s been sneaking around in here.”

“And what would a Padawan be doing in here without a master?” asked the lady standing next to him. Chazi knew her identity too, as she also sat upon the Jedi Council. It was Ar-Pharazon’s wife Krystal.

Chazi hastily gathered her thoughts. She hoped to get by with minimal chastisement. “No one was around,” she said, doing her best to project a calm demeanor. “And I’m not a Padawan. I’m a youngling.” She never liked admitting that. It angered her, but she was compelled to obey their questions, as they were both far stronger in the Force than she, and their ranks carried great honor. Chazi understood that to disobey a member of the Jedi Council was to quash any hope for future training.

Krystal’s eyes grew wide in surprise as she looked at the smoking heap decorating the floor. “A youngling did that, to a destroyer droid? That’s quite exceptional.”

“I did,” said Chazi. She was surprised by Krystal’s reaction. The woman did not seem upset. Ar-Pharazon, however, was another matter entirely.

“It’s also quite reckless,” added Ar-Pharazon with a scowl. “Not to mention dangerous. You could have been killed. They’re called destroyer droids for a reason. Did that ever occur to you?”

“It did,” she replied, not knowing what else to say. “But I overcame it.”

“Silence, girl.” That was his response. His voice reeked with contempt. “None of that is important now.”

Chazi stayed silent, merely trying to maintain her composure. She kept her face expressionless, in order to mask her frustration.

“Tell me your name,” Ar-Pharazon demanded.

“My name is Chazi,” she said.

“Chazi what?”

“Chazi Starkiller,” she replied.

“Then, Chazi Starkiller, tell me how old are you?” he demanded.

“Fourteen,” she said. “Almost fifteen.” Her face now reddened as she answered his questions. She felt very uncomfortable.

Ar-Pharazon was silent for a moment, deep in thought, but continued before too long. “Then why don’t you have a master?”

Chazi drew a deep breath before answering. “I suppose the Council does not deem me ready.” She ground her teeth. She did not care much for the man, who was quickly affirming his harsh reputation.

“Really?” said Krystal, who was still eyeing the damaged droid lying motionless on the floor. Her blue eyes beamed thoughtfully on Chazi. “Well, with the ability you’ve demonstrated today, I would say you are ready.”

Chazi blinked in surprise. “Thank you, Master.”

“I have the means to see that you are given a master by this week’s end,” said Krystal.

“Thank you again,” replied Chazi, grinning with nervous excitement. “I know that I am ready.”

“That is not for you to decide,” said Ar-Pharazon coldly. He finally eyed the wreckage of the destroyer droid, strewn about the floor. “The Jedi Council goes to great lengths to ensure that only those worthy are assigned to a master and the Council’s rules were not made to be broken.”

“Yes,” chimed in Krystal. “And your actions were a bit… shall we say excessive?” Her tone was much gentler than her husband’s. The woman wore serenity like a dress.

“I am truly sorry for this incident, but I know I’m ready,” said Chazi, admittedly.

“I just told you that that is not your place to decide!” Ar-Pharazon barked. “Do not make me tell you again!”

Chazi’s anger quickly turned to embarrassment. Her face reddened even more. She should have known to keep quiet.

“The important thing is that it won’t happen again,” said Krystal. “Am I correct in assuming that?”

Chazi nodded in acquiescence. “I will never set foot in here, until brought by a master, providing the Council sees me fit to receive one.”

“Then, I will forget this,” Krystal said sharply. “But if I hear even a whisper of it again, from anyone...” She did not need to even finish the sentence. Her message was more than made clear.

“Thank you,” Chazi said simply.

“What’s more important,” Ar-Pharazon said, “is what you do when you leave. I don’t want to see you holding a lightsaber, nor any other weapons. Moreover, if you so much as think about using the Force, I’ll see that you’re never given a master.”

“I understand, Master.” To Chazi’s surprise, she thought she could see what appeared to be the slightest beginnings of a smile on Ar-Pharazon’s typically cold face. It had only been there for a moment, and it seemed to be gone almost as soon as it appeared. Surely even Ar-Pharazon could smile. Then again, she thought, maybe not.

“Now then,” the man continued. “For the rest of the morning, we will be using this facility. Unless, of course, you have an objection?” he asked sarcastically. “If not, youngling, please feel free to take your leave.”

His words stung. “No objections, Master,” she said politely. It seemed like the safest thing to say. She gave a slight curtsy, and then made her way as quickly as she could to the door, keeping her eyes straight ahead. She had no intention of gazing upon Ar-Pharazon’s perpetual scowl any longer. She wasn’t sure which was worse: dodging lethal blaster fire from a destroyer droid or trying to fend off Ar-Pharazon’s interrogation. No Jedi trial could compete with this.

NEW CHARACTER:

scaled.php?server=845&filename=chazistarkiller.png&res=medium

Chazi Starkiller

Position: Youngling

Species: Human

Edited by Guest

apeditname.jpg