To Find His Place- an original fantasy novel: updated 2/14

Ethro Brealis

• 2 weeks later...

So. Obi the ass returns after not reading for nigh-on three months. Go me.

Alright. Chapter 2.

As she passed the sword racks, a particularly distinctive sword hilt caught her eye. With a mischievous gleam in her eye,...

Two descriptions of her eyes at the end of one sentence and the beginning of one following it. I find it repetative. I find it repetative.

"No," he shrugged, "but I've eaten breakfast already."

PET PEEVE! Shrugs don't make noises. Shrugs don't speak. He can't shrug the word "No."

By the time you've oiled and polished your sword...

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

She whispered to her horse, which broke into a canter, happily leaving the stuffy old stables and bursting out into the fresh morning air.

I love this description. I can see it happening, and I can almost smell that fresh air.

”œKemeniel githor.”

Obi-Gones-Award.gif

"The circle is complete! Now I [Obi-here] am the angst Master!"

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, Obi. Very meaningful, very necessary... and course you managed to throw in a "that's what she said" to boot.

I don't even WANT to think about that. *shifty eyes*

So, I'll be posting the next update soon. I want to proof it briefly before posting.

ttfsig14zh2.jpg

"According to this website, you should never trust the source of an online quote." --Abraham Lincoln

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so it was longer than I expected...

Here it is. Yes, the first part is a sort of info dump, and I'm worried that it's redundant... let me know on that.

Chapter 8: Riders to the North

The second day was definitely worse than the first, Austin reflected, as he tried to mount his horse without putting undue stress on his legs. So far, it looked an impossible task. With a leap and an accompanying burst of pain, he made it onto the animal.

Finnlass was already mounted up beside him, snickering. ”œHarder on the second day, isn't it? You're already sore from the first. Actually, the third day is the worst, because by the fourth, you're starting to toughen up.”

ttfsig14zh2.jpg

"According to this website, you should never trust the source of an online quote." --Abraham Lincoln

• 2 weeks later...
Notwithstanding the gloomy conditions, Ralynne folded her bedroll quickly and was the first in her unit to be mounted.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

Yes. It is time for me to go through another chapter.

”œIt's a simple matter,”

Obi-Gones-Award.gif

"The circle is complete! Now I [Obi-here] am the angst Master!"

• 1 month later...

There are two pop culture references in this chapter. Can you spot them?

Man, it's been so long since I wrote this section. Ugh. Critique away.

Chapter 9: All The Small Things

Finnlass spotted it first. He usually did. ”œSoel Kel, dead ahead,”

ttfsig14zh2.jpg

MAGIC MISSILEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Did not like the Bow Chicka Wow Wow. At all. Bad. (flails) Totally out of place. It doesn't flow naturally at ALL!

I liked the bit on spellcasting and how any language works, it's about intent. It's similar to how I've made my characters spellcast in BP (since apparently intent alone isn't visual enough for my readers)--a word in a language, encased in the element.

I also like his distain of mounting up again. Sore and stiff. Sounds about right! Pooooor guy. Oh well!

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.