Primary Terrain: savannah, steppes, grasslands

Points of Interest: abandoned Jedi Temple, crystal caves

Societal Information

Indigenous Species: Dantari, kath hounds

Immigrated Species: humans, Selkath, Chalactans, Ithorians, Mandalorians

Primary Language(s): Galactic Basic

Faction Affiliation: neutral

Defense Rating: Level 1

JediRP Canon History: Dantooine once housed a Jedi Temple, and over the years many Jedi have visited its grassy plains and crystal caves to find materials for their lightsabers. It was also the site of a Force-wound, created by Vladimir Faust, only recently healed after he was defeated on Coruscant. New growth is evident all over the area, and life is reclaiming the once-dead patch of land.

Old description:

Dantooine was a pleasant world of grasslands, rivers and lakes. The planet was located in the Raioballo Sector of the Outer Rim at an endpoint of Myto's Arrow, the other endpoint of which was in the Obtrexta Sector, though Dantooine itself was still far removed from most galactic traffic. It hosted a small population spread amongst single-family settlements and small communities with large land holdings. Its sentient population consisted primarily of simple Human farmers, though Dantooine was also home to the primitive Dantari race. Native wildlife included the kath hound, the iriaz, the kinrath, and the graul. The planet had no industrial settlements or advanced technology by the time of the Galactic Civil War.

Nearly a Decade prior to current events, however, two notoriously powerful Sith Lords descended upon Dantooine in a reigning bloodbath unlike any other the Galaxy had seen before. Lord Ar-Pharazon and Barohm Zar rent the planet to the bone, committing planetary genocide and outright destroying the majority of the planet's surface. But time heals all things, and the woodlands and forestry has grown back over the ashes, albeit still new, and settlers have returned in hopes of recreating what was once lost. Life once again begins to grow and flourish upon Dantooine as old habitats and ecological systems reboot themselves ever so slowly, and things almost seem as they once were. But were one to look in the right places, it wouldn't be difficult to see the scars torn by the Sith in the holocaust they brought those many years ago. Though Dantooine is freshly regrown and still alive...it is still recovering.

First post goes to Fishtie, should he want it, or open to anyone in a month from the date of this post.

((Summary compiled by Amidala Skywalker. Thank you!))

Immediately reachable by  charlesjhall@gmail.com

Blz1mwg.png

• 1 month later...

Arlan could feel the Ghost Breath's thrusters declining in power as it entered the atmosphere of Dantooine. It traveled through the outer rim of the planet with ease, steadily making its way towards the nearest space port. Arlan's home was located near the space port, so it wouldn't be very long until they had arrived at his home.

The planet of Dantooine was incredible. It was mostly a planet made up of mainly grassland, but oceans also took up a large portion of it, as well. The inhabitants of the planet were businessmen, merchants, but most of the people who lived there were farmers. They were friendly people; aliens weren't looked down upon or treated differently. Everyone, for the most part, lived in harmony with one another.

The ship's auto-pilot feature guided the Ghost Breath with surprising accuracy. The craft's landing gear deployed, hovering and then soon settling within the port. The engine slowly shut down, and Arlan stood up from his chair. He made his way out of the cockpit and strode down the corridor, finding Armiena near the back of the ship.

”œWe're here,”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

I tried to wear Aidan out before the Ghost Breath left hyperspace””I really did. By the time that he'd been fed and watered, and his hygiene seen to, I took a second to tear into the packages that my mother had broken security to obtain. In hindsight, I began to worry over the fact that she thought that it would have been justifiable to risk an attack by purchasing baby toys””a rattler, of all things!

Eventually, Aidan decided that the thing wasn't edible or even particularly satisfying to taste. Then my son discovered that by shaking his little hand, he could create an unexpected and highly entertaining noise.

However, my good cheer at Aidan's amusement evaporated with two messages. The first was from the Eternal Vigilance, alerting the Jedi to the betrayal by the Sith (and likely the Empire). The second was of the terrorist attack on the Jedi Temple at Gala, where one of the Sith's minions succeeded in ramming a personal spacecraft into the building, despite the very considerable defenses that guarded its vicinity. I took great care to ensure that the fury that threatened to boil over didn't surface on my Force-Presence and expression””having some skill as an illusionist, I was even able to paint a false impression of happiness on my presence.

Aidan lost interest in the plastic toy by the time that Arlan announced our arrival, to the point that he turned away from me and simply discarded the rattler. That was when he stumbled on a fundamental fact of the universe.

When you let go of it, stuff falls.

It was amazing how intrigued he was by this truth, enough for me to cast aside my worries for a moment as he studied this theory by picking up and dropping his test subject”¦ over, and over, and over.

”œIt's called entropy.”

drayyy.png

Arlan hadn't meant to eavesdrop on Armiena and Aidan, and felt foolish as soon as she noticed him behind her. Aidan was quickly falling asleep, and now Armiena had told him what was happening back on Gala.

His eyes widened in surprise and fright. He knew that their time here on Dantooine would be short-lived. As much as he wanted to retrieve his parents' lightsabers, he knew that Armiena had obligations to the Jedi Order that could not be delayed, especially since there was an attack put upon the temple.

”œDo we have to go right now?”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

"No." I growled, shaking my head viciously. I had yet to teach him how to sense the emotional presences of sentient beings through the Force, but the fact that I was being so cautious to not allow my anger to bleed into the Force was a clear sign of how disturbed I was. "We're not going to let some... some lunatic change our plans. We won't be able to stay as long as I could, but let's at least do what we came for."

drayyy.png

Arlan nodded. He noticed how uneasy she was. She was clearly upset about the attack on the Jedi Order, but didn't seem to think it was anything serious. That greatly relieved him, knowing that the assault on the Order was probably just some petty attack. After hearing this, Arlan started to make his way towards the exit ramp. He wanted to go to his home as soon as possible. Apart from his parents' lightsabers, there were a few other things that he wanted to reclaim, as well.

”œAre we taking Aidan with us?”

Arlan shook his head. He figured that Armiena's mother would tend to Aidan if he were to awaken, giving both him and Armiena time to find his parents' lightsabers, and also have her teach him a few things about the Force, as well.

The exit ramp of the ship slowly lowered, allowing Arlan and Armiena to walk off of the ship, and step foot onto the concrete landing platform. The open-roofed hangar was barely big enough to house the Ghost Breath, though getting out of the enclosed space would be easier than it was getting into it. A single Brith was gliding through the cloudless sky, effortlessly flying towards the horizon. Arlan watched the magnificent creature as it soared over the hangar, before he was interrupted by the sound of the bay's blast door opening.

A young Twi'lek walked towards them and bowed his head.

”œHey, Arlan,”

Dantooine was”¦ pleasant. There wasn't really a better way to summarize what I'd seen so far. The city that the spaceport serviced seemed well-run, or at least clean enough. The air, though dry to my experience, smelled fairly unpolluted and clean even in the city. It was a pleasant world, lacking in the visual splendor and geological oddities of Naboo, but it was peaceful. No wonder””it was still undeveloped and boasted few resources save for fertile soil.

The massive ray-like creature that floated lazily in the sky was just similar enough to a thranta to tease me with memories of Alderaan. I found myself staring wistfully at its ambling flight, only listening to Arlan's conversation with half my attention.

I nodded in response to my own thoughts. Maybe”¦ there was a possibility. I resolved to keep a surreptitious eye on this world and make sure that it didn't come to harm. There was some hope here for my future.

When my Padawan bid farewell to his old friend, I was finally jerked back to my senses by the resumption of our hike and Arlan's question. It took a second to return to full awareness and comprehend his query. ”œWhat? Oh”¦why not? I've got room on the Ghost Breath for it.”

drayyy.png

Arlan, struggling to retain his laughter, said, ”œHold on, I'll get you something to clean that off with.”

------------

The transport landed in Khoonda. The people who had been on Gala at the time of the attack were on the shuttle, as well as R1. He rolled towards the hatch just as it was lowering, making his way off it and onto the platform. Behind him, other people left the transport as well, heading off in different directions.

R1 knew where he needed to go. He traveled through the spaceport, and started to travel away from Khoonda.

It was with no small amount of gratitude that I swept away the drying mess on my robes. At least the crap wasn't seeping into my shoulder any longer, but those robes were going to be a loss by the time we returned to the Ghost Breath, and even if they didn't start to stink in this sun. Glad to have something to concentrate on other than the remaining residue that caked on the surface of the garment””and was stubbornly resisting all attempts to scrape it away””I launched into a brief description of what I knew.

”œThere are a few ways. The Empire designed a scanner that detects Force Sensitivity, but those are rare. A precise midichlorian count can be taken from a blood sample. That used to be very popular with the Jedi of the Old Republic. But that knowledge was lost during the Purge”¦ and most Jedi simply don't care about it. It's like”¦ oh”¦ comparing the power of our lightsabers. When it comes down to it, mine works, and I can use it very well.

”œFinally”¦”

drayyy.png

Arlan listened to her intently, watching her trying to scrape the feces off of her shoulder, but with no luck resulting from it.

He nodded, starting to better understand what Armiena was talking about. He didn't care if his Force potential was high or low. He was certain that with her training, he would become a great Jedi, regardless of how attune to the Force he was.

It took him a few moments to realize that they had nearly gone past his house. He recognized the path that they were on, and the surrounding environment also helped him determine where he was, as well. There were two trees on the left side of his house which stretched upwards, reaching past the roof. The house itself was a bit larger than the other houses in the area, with several antennas visible on the roof. There were four windows, two on the bottom floor, two on the top, metallic shutters pulled down over them. The lawn was clearly uncared for, the weeds and tall grass proof of this. The path leading toward the front door was cracked and uneven, an easy spot for somebody to trip over.

Both Arlan and Armiena made their way for the front door. He suddenly heard an animal-like cry coming from inside the house. The sound echoed out towards them, and was slowly followed by silence. Arlan looked around quickly, before pulling a small blaster pistol from his right pocket.

”œI found it back in town,”

Arlan paused before going into his home, nodding in acknowledgement to Armiena. He went through the now-shattered entrance, moving into the first room of the house.

The Vass's living room was well-kept. Or, at least it was. Arlan hadn't been to his house for over a month; ever since his parents had died. The usually clean carpet was dirty, the furniture was covered with dust, and the windows were broken. The Kath that had been in here tore up some of the furniture, but most of it was undamaged. The only things that had been broken beyond repair were two chairs and a table, which were in the half-kitchen, half-dining room of the first floor. Arlan was suddenly worried that the Kath Hound had found his parents' weapons and damaged them.

He made his way through the living room, when he suddenly heard a small warble in one corner of the room. He fixed his gaze upon one of the corners in the kitchen, and saw a small R2 unit rocking back and forth on its wheels, apparently thrilled to see Arlan.

He walked over to the droid, his mouth slightly opened in disbelief. How had R2-G4 been able to keep himself hidden from the Kath Hound? He could be seen rather easily from where he was trying to hide.

R2 warbled what seemed to be a thousand words a second. Arlan noticed that he was trapped between two of the adjoining counters. He smiled at the humor of the situation, helping R2 get out from the small space.

”œHow did you even manage to get yourself in there?”

A sigh escaped my lips as I regarded the corpse of the canine predator, noting the significant state of emaciation that the beast was in. No wonder it attacked us; a hungry predator made for a reckless one, and this critter clearly never managed to break into the kitchen in Arlan's home.

That sentiment quickly faded in what I had to do. I swept my right arm across the body of the kath hound, igniting my lightsaber as I did so to cleanly separate the torso of the beast from its hindquarters. It was a ghastly example of overkill, but the cauterized gash that the blade left behind didn't even bleed””this was the part of my task that was clean, and didn't disgust me to my core.

Obviously, the separated halves of the hound needed to be hauled away from the homestead, even if only to the edges of the Vass' land. I knelt beside the pieces of the animal, placed my fingertips on both halves of the carcass, and tried not to look away as a quartet of deceptively slender claws sprouted from the interior of my prosthetic hands and easily pierced its taut skin and tunneled through muscle and under bone. Shivering all the while, I tested the strength of those hollow claws””they held, fortunately””and I trudged away to deposit the corpse a few minutes away on the plain.

I tried not to think about the reason why my hand wasn't sweaty when I brushed strands of moist her from my face.

At last, I had a chance to send away a number of messages as I returned to Arlan's home. Maybe he had found what he was looking for”¦

drayyy.png

Arlan didn't hear Armiena as she approached the house. He was upstairs in what used to be his room, staring at the holographic image of his mother and father. The image shimmered as soon as it was projected, soon re-gaining its stability. His parents looked as if they were smiling at him, though Arlan knew that they were looking into the holoprojector attached to R2.

Nonetheless, Arlan's heart skipped a beat as soon as the image of his parents flickered to life in front of him. They were wearing the same clothes that they wore on that fateful day they had died. Arlan's throat burned. He wanted nothing more than to embrace them both”¦ to tell them that he loved them. He remained silent though, and suddenly heard his mother's image speak.

”œArlan, by the time you're reading this, we've already left”¦”

Finally, there was a sense of conclusion, and my head jerked up to glance at the upper level of Arlan's home, just in time to wince in sympathy. Oh, his business on Dantooine was finished, that much was sure, but it had left no sense of satisfaction””only emptiness. His parents must have left something else for him, or the kid had stumbled upon another family artifact that conjured up sensitive memories.

So I creaked open the door to the Vass household, noting with some dismay that the kath hound must have made a nest of their lower living area. Apparently the beast hadn't learned to climb stairs, however, for I found the stairwell and the corridor just outside Arlan's room undisturbed. There I found him, sitting before an R2 unit, tears streaming from his eyes even as the droid's holoprojector dimmed. It was clear what scene I had intruded into.

I felt the compulsion to say something, to break this awful silence, to let him know that he didn't have to be alone in his grief. ”œWhen my father died,”

drayyy.png

At the sound of Armiena's voice Arlan quickly raised his arm up to his face, wiping away the tears that were still falling. He turned around and wiped his hand down his face, suddenly embarrassed that she had seen him like this. He had only known her for a few days, though he couldn't help feeling like a fool.

He nodded. ”œI'm sorry,”

I incline my head towards Arlan and fixed him in an unyielding stare, not so much struck by emotion as I was an absence of it. My father had died literally at the beginning of my adult life, and far more painful than the memory of his loss were the memories of home that were starting to fade from my mind. Though I had tweaked my ships' life support systems to emit the same mix of gases that I breathed as I child, I couldn't remember how the air of Alderaan smelled, forgotten what it was like to suffer through my allergies when the wild grasses loosed their blossoms every year.

”œWhat are you sorry for?”

drayyy.png

Arlan nodded.

The speederbike was his father's. It seated two people, and looked rather new, despite the fact that his father had purchased it nearly ten years ago. The seats were comfortable, and the bike itself could reach a speed of five hundred kilometers an hour; it was far faster than any normal speederbike. Arlan's parents had told him that it was even possible to outrun military-grade speederbikes on it.

He walked over to it, checking himself to make sure that he had everything that he needed. He had his backpack, and inside of it were a few holobooks, and of course, his mother and father's lightsabers. The weapons were safe in the small compartment in the front of the pack, and Arlan was positive that they wouldn't fall out of the backpack.

R1 was right behind him as he pulled himself onto the bike. He remained silent as he watched Arlan climb aboard the bike. After a few moments, he beeped to Arlan, his tone filled with an unrecognizable emotion. Arlan looked at the droid, surprised.

”œYou want to stay here?”

Wounded, but better, Kyrell lands on Dantooine. Why he chose this spot to lick his wounds, he didn't know. Perhaps because of his failure in stopping Ar-Pharazon, perhaps because he knew of Dantooine's history with the Sith, communing with the dead here would give him some clarity or peace.

Thousands dead, and he failed. The Sith escaped, and it left a wide trail of destruction that would mark itself firmly into Coruscant's bloody history.

He walks over the grounds of the Killing Fields, finding small signs of taint remaining. To his ears though, the echoes of the dead remain. He plies himself with his small skill in healing, preserving his ruined arm so it could be reattached, now slung in a black cloth sack around his shoulders.

Time passes and Malin, mediates, finding no answers or comfort, only the moans of the dead calling out for justice. As a Jedi, as a Blade Master, he was the executor of justice, and he failed in his duty. Lost in shame, he pulls himself up and departs.

As he heads back to his ship, reflecting on the past battle, he feels a tug in the Force, a presence that felt like kin. His eyes turn up thoughtfully, identifying it, and as much as he can hurry, he limps back to his ship, reaching for the comm system to broadcast to the other Jedi on the planet.

To my fellow Jedi, this is Jedi Master Malin Kyrell. I am in need of immediate assistance. If you can pick me up, please respond.

Malin.jpg

What drew out such power from your machine was truly the drive of your soul... It was your 'Id'. The sign of the purpose you've been seeking... The mark of a natural born assassin!

As he waited for Armiena to mount the bike with him, Arlan noticed a small red button flash on the Comm system of the vehicle. There was an emergency broadcast going out to every single Jedi on Dantooine. His father had installed this feature on his bike soon after he had bought it. This worked for any sort of vehicle or ship that it was installed on. His father had thought that this was a pretty handy way of communicating back and forth with his fellow Jedi.

When Arlan had still lived on Dantooine, there had been many Jedi who lived on this planet, all of whom were either trying to raise a family, or had been a part of the Jedi Order that used to be here. His father would sometimes meet with a couple of his friends, who were Jedi, and go out to hunt Kinrath to brush up on their lightsaber combat.

Arlan pressed the button, playing the message out loud, so Armiena could also hear it.

”œ To my fellow Jedi, this is Jedi Master Malin Kyrell. I am in need of immediate assistance. If you can pick me up, please respond.

Malin quickly punches in the coordinates for his location, sending out a small range beacon, then slumps quietly into the seat of his cockpit.

Malin.jpg

What drew out such power from your machine was truly the drive of your soul... It was your 'Id'. The sign of the purpose you've been seeking... The mark of a natural born assassin!

((OOC: I'm waiting for ObsidianKnight to make a new post. As soon as they make one, then I'll repond, alright?))

Arlan revved the engine of the bike twice, before it was finally launched off of the ground, speeding away from his house at nearly one hundred kilometers an hour, the speed slowly increasing as it went. Arlan didn't take the path back to get to Malin's location; he figured that the fastest way to get there was travelling across the plains, instead.

The speederbike roared across the land, now travelling at one thousand kilometers an hour. It took no time at all for the bike to reach its maximum speed, which was one of the reasons why Arlan was thrilled to have it in his possession. He was sure that it would serve him well in the future.

It took perhaps several minutes until Arlan was finally able to see a small speck in the distance, which he was sure was Malin's ship. He glanced down at the screen that was in the middle of the bike, which showed the small blip which represented the craft. It was perhaps two hundred kilometers away from them. He turned his head to his side, shouting to Armiena.

”œI think that's his ship over there,”

Malin waited in a meditative Jedi Trance for help to arrive. When he sensed them approach not even a minute later, he climbed out of his tiny fighter-craft and waited for them, leaning against his ship for support, craddling his broken ribs with his arm.

Suffice to say, when the duo of Jedi saw Kyrell, he looked like Hell doubled over. His entire body was riddled with small burns and gashes, his face pale to the point of being nearly chalk white. Most striking of all was the Jedi's missing right arm, hanging in two seperate parts in a sling below the now cauterized stump, marking how Ar-Pharazon pulled it out of the socket. Malin once more wears gloves on his hands, just for added care.

"Well met," Malin begins softly, addressing the new Jedi in the speeder, a small smile darting his face and bloodless lips. "I don't believe we've met before. My name is Jedi Master Malin Kyrell." His eyes dart upwards, recognizing the Ghost Breath. There's a small sinking feeling that then rushes to Malin's mind. Of all the Jedi to run into, he chose the planet with the Grand Mistress of the Jedi.

When she found out about the toll that Malin's pursuit of Ar-Pharazon incurred on Coruscant, she would not be happy. Malin knew that was not his fault, and that the blame rested with the Sith, but there could still be reprocussions against the Jedi Order for what happened due to Imperial propoganda. Collecting his calm, Malin waits.

Malin.jpg

Arlan shut the speederbike off, climbing off of it to introduce himself to the man. As he approached him, he noticed how badly the man was injured. He was holding his chest, possibly due to a number of broken ribs, and he had several burns and gashes covering the rest of his body. Arlan's eyes widened at the sight of the man, and hurried over to him to help him.

”œMy name's Arlan Vass,”

It was simply too quiet around the landing struts of the Ghost Breath, as though the patrolling birds and chorusing insects maintained a reverent quiescence in this area. Here, the Force was”¦ dry. Not sterile, not a wasteland stripped bare by years of merciless assault by the elements, but suffering a prolonged drought, ready to bloom into the clumsy vigor of life after a summer's storm. I sampled the air, ignoring the mechanical stench of Arlan's speeder bike. Things simply felt”¦ off.

And I gaped in disbelief at Kyrell when I realized where he had summoned us. Thank goodness that my mother had been perceptive enough to ascertain our destination and construct an illusion so that this place wouldn't disturb my son.

”œI came out from under a skyscraper looking better than that.”

drayyy.png